FAIRFIELD — Thirty 4-H members won gold individual or team awards Saturday for their projects at the annual Solano County 4-H Presentation Day at Tremont Elementary School in Dixon.
Presentation Day provides an opportunity for 4-Hers to showcase and improve their speaking and presentation skills. Members in each of Solano County’s 11 clubs had a choice to create a display board about their project; deliver a demonstration, illustrated talk, poem or reading; show an audio-visual presentation; or stage a “Share-the-Fun” skit.
Judges awarded the 4-Hers gold, blue or red for their presentations.
The gold winners included:
- Suisun Valley 4-H Club, Fairfield-Suisun: Natalie Frenkel, display on “How to Publish a 4-H Newsletter”; Emma Vogliano, interpretative reading, “The Tell-Tale Heart”; and the team of Drake Delorefice, Aubree Ellison, Olivia Frenkel, Samantha Forbes, Tiffany Lum, Cheyenne Miller and Hunter Schaufel, a “Share-the-Fun” presentation titled “Presentation Day – It’s Unbelievable.”
- Vaca Valley 4-H Club, Vacaville: Justin Means, display on “How to Clean a Shotgun”; Emma Ryder, “Forcing Buds to Bloom”; Jillian Toynbee, display on “How to Show a Steer”; Falyn Voss, display on “Winterizes the Benefit of Exercising Your Horse in the Winter”; Emma Couvillion, a display on “Artisan Suds”; and Halie Pringle, “Rub A Dub Dub, Chicken in a Tub.”
- Elmira 4-H Club: Adele Phillips, interpretative reading, “Letters from Rifka”; Karin Aksnes, audio-visual presentation, “How to Create an Efficient PowerPoint”; and Erika Lull, demonstration, “What’s Bugging Your Chicken?”
- Roving Clovers 4-H Club, Dixon: Jess Bravos, demonstration on “From Pasture to Parlor”; Audrey Hennigan, Lindsay Tryba and Olivia Simpson, “Share-the-Fun” presentation on the importance of exercising, “Don’t Be Lazy; Let’s Get Crazy!”
- Wolfskill 4-H Club, Dixon: Haley Scott, display on “How to Tell if Your Bunny is Pregnant.”
- Sherwood Forest 4-H Club, Vallejo: Sarah Bowen, display on “Who’s Your Daddy? DNA Parent Verification”; Ivy Christensen, display on “You, Your Horse and the Round Pen”; Annabella Rodriguez, display on “Basic First Aid of a Horse; Amanda Kant, audio-visual, “How to Make a Neckwarmer”; Kaleigh Kant, audio visual on “How to Make a Greeting Card”; Josephine Linan, demonstration on “Dog Show 4-H Style”; and Jasmine Gonzalez, demonstration on “Rub a Dub Dub, A Chicken in a Tub.”
The blue winners included:
- Suisun Valley 4-H Club: Maya Miller, display on“The Clay Process”; Robert Wright, display on “Jump Start Your Workout with Plyometrics”; Olivia Frenkel, display on “Healthy Living – Physical Activity Strokes and Turns in Swimming”; Aubree Ellison, prepared speech, “How Can We Create and Keep Jobs in America”; and Samantha Forbes. demonstration on “How to Train a Dog Using Positive Reinforcement.”
- Westwind 4-H Club, Fairfield-Suisun: Grace Gribi, demonstration on “Roses Are Red and Violets Are Blue.”
- Vaca Valley 4-H Club: Emily Lamb, display on “Just Eat It”; Jessica Galdo, demonstration on “Seams So French”; and Francis Agbayani, demonstration on “Make It, Shoot It.”
- Elmira 4-H Club: Sarah Lull, audio-visual, “Preparing Your Chicken for Showmanship.”
- Roving Clovers 4-H Club: Wyatt Currie, display on “Egg to Chicken”; Makenna Caulfield, display on “Thirteen Wonderful Flavors of Cavies”; Lily Fletcher, display on “Horse Treat or Human Treat?”; Madison Katzenmeyer, prepared speech on “Klinefelters Syndrome”; Makenna Caulfield and Lilya Gardner, skit “Share the Fun,” and skit “It’s Rough Being a Horse”; and Nika Gardner and Tyler Sasabuchi for their “Share-the-Fun” skit, “Johnny 4-H’er and the Quest for the Clover.”
- Wolfskill 4-H Club, Dixon: Siera Giron, poem, “Love Armed” by Aphra Behn.
- Sherwood Forest 4-H Club: Cora DaCosta, display on “Sewing”; Natalie Greene, display on “Free Lungeing a Horse”; and Jessica Burkett for demonstration on “Doggie Packs.”
The red winners included:
- Rio Vista 4-H Club: Megan Ross, display on “Greek and Roman Gods and Goddesses”; and Mitchell Dana, display, “Different Diseases in Animals.”
- Vaca Valley 4-H Club: Hallie Couvillion, demonstration on “Clowns on Parade.”
- Dixon Ridge 4-H Club: Maudie Gloria, display on “Cake Pop Mania.”
- Wolfskill 4-H Club: Jennifer Giron, display on “Knot Granny’s Blanket.”
- Sherwood Forest 4-H Club: Dana DaCosta, display on “Horses Weight and BCS (Body Conditioning Score).”
The gold and blue winners are eligible to present their projects at the Sectional Presentation Day scheduled March 30 on the UC Davis campus.
For more information about 4-H, contact Valerie Williams, the Solano County 4-H program representative, at 784-1319 or by email at [email protected]
Reach Heather Ah San at 427-6977 or [email protected] Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/HeatherMalia.