Sunday, March 1, 2015

Parolee prepares for graduation, rejoining society

francis08

Francis Cunanan reads scripture in his room at the Rays of Hope program at Mission Solano. His possessions are modest and the housing is temporary but it is considerably more than what he had the first day he was released from prison. (Brad Zweerink/Daily Republic)

From page A1 | February 05, 2013 |

FAIRFIELD — His bedroom is dimly lit with a sheet covering the window.

The door was broken in some kind of incident. A towel now hangs in the circular hole as a makeshift handle.

Francis Cunanan has a small bed where some of his hats of Bay Area sports teams are stacked at the foot. The clothes that don’t fit in the closet he shares with his roommate hang on the wall.

Several religious books are stacked at his bedside, along with gospel music and a DVD of “The Passion of the Christ.” Taped on the side of the dresser are homemade flash cards with various passages from Scripture that he memorizes.

His half of the small bedroom is where Cunanan has called home for the past six months. His possessions slowly have grown as he progressed through the Rays of Hope program. To many it doesn’t look like much, but Cunanan said he’s better off now than he’s been in years.

Six months after he was released from San Quentin State Prison, he is now preparing to exit the program in the coming months. Although he will be on his own, he said the lessons learned and network of those willing to help will guide him.

“I came here by myself. When I leave I will be by myself. But now I have this support system,” Cunanan said. “This is a stepping stone to bigger and better things.”

Cunanan was gradually given more responsibilities as he proved he could handle them. His first tasks were helping hand out food to the homeless two days a week at the center. Next came working in the “shack.” He was in charge of handing out showering supplies and supervising the area where many homeless store their belongings in bins.

He now leads the recovery group meetings. He takes roll for the shelter guests some nights. There are now talks of possibly taking a position with Mission Solano once he graduates.

“If I can be trusted here, I can be trusted in bigger things,” he said. “This is a start. I’m being realistic. This is going to be a process.”

Not that there weren’t a few hiccups along the way. Gene Ahu, program manager, said it took a few times to figure out what job was best suited for Cunanan. He was first tried out as a supervisor for the roving shelter, but said he was switched after having some issues communicating with the guests.

“He didn’t really want to be here at first. His life was a wreck and he wanted to fix it,” Ahu said. “He needed an attitude adjustment. And he got that.”

Cunanan spent some time at the thrift store Mission Solano runs, but Ahu said his interactions with coworkers needed some work. Eventually he settled on driving duties to focus on for a job after the program. The shelter needs drivers for deliveries and transporting people.

One of the milestones for Cunanan was getting his driver’s license back. He recently acquired his class A permit, which will allow him to be able to drive more vehicles.

Staff members now compliment his progress and talk about the work it took to get there. Cliff Parker, his case manager at Mission Solano, said like many in the program, Cunanan was forced to figure out if he really was going to change.

“Everyone comes at different levels. It’s on them if they want to make it,” Parker said. “He’s been an asset here.”

Many point to a broken hand he received in November as a turning point. For Cunanan, it’s a blemish he isn’t proud of.

He said one day he was hoping to watch a football game. A roommate had other ideas. An argument started and Cunanan said he lost his temper. Instead of fighting, he went outside and punched a weight bench.

“I felt like I was about to explode. If I did that, I’m going back to prison. I told myself, ‘I’m losing focus. I’m getting off track,’ ” he said. “Your improprieties resurface. It’s up to you if you want to work on it or not.”

From there he started focusing his spare time on worship. He began to pore through religious literature. Flash cards were created with various passage of Scripture that he repeated until memorized. Over time, he began to lighten up and tried to see the best in life.

“I’m just happy, man,” he said recently. “I used to want nice cars, money and a big house. Now, I want joy, love, peace and my family back.”

One of the driving forces behind Cunanan’s progress has been the hope to be with his parents and siblings. The first stages of that happened New Year’s Eve. His half-sister, who he lived with when coming over from the Philippines, tracked him down through other family members to reconnect.

She drove from Hayward to pick him up and took him back to hang out for the holiday. She then drove him back the next day. Since then, she has visited a couple of times for dinner.

“I hadn’t seen her in about six years. I didn’t know how to react. She’s thankful of what I’m doing and that we can be a family again,” Cunanan said. “I had an overwhelming joy. This is the life I want to live. Family is the most important thing.”

He recently talked to his father over the Internet using Skype, a technology that blew him away.

There is a lot more work to do before things are healed with his mother, Cunanan said. He said trust was broken several times and it will be some time before he is forgiven.

“Once I’m on the right path, that relationship will come,” he said. “When she sees I’m doing good, that wall will come down.”

Cunanan now is getting ready for his graduation. His sister, father and possibly some other family members will be there to see it. The program waits until a certain number of members are ready to graduate, so it will take place sometime in the next two or three months, Ahu said.

If he doesn’t stay on with Mission Solano, Cunanan said he will begin his search for a job. He knows that will be difficult with a record, but hopes people will be able to see what he’s done since then. Rejection isn’t an issue, he said.

“If I had enough heart to go in and pass a bad check, I can go in and have them say no. If 50 people turn me down, I’ll go to 100. Someone has to say yes,” he said. “I’ll work in a refinery. Or as a janitor. I’m not going back.”

Cunanan said although the past six months seem like a whole lifetime, he is hopeful his life will only improve.

“I want to look back in five years and not believe what I’ve accomplished,” he said.

Reach Danny Bernardini at 427-6935 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/dbernardinidr.

Danny Bernardini

Danny Bernardini

Danny is a newspaper man born and raised in Vacaville. He attended Chico State University and has written for the Enterprise Record and the Reporter. Covers the City of Fairfield, education and crime. A's, Warriors and Saints fan. Listener of vinyl, frequent visitor to the East Bay. Registered "decline to state" voter. Loves a good steak.

• Teddy BruiseveltFebruary 05, 2013 - 8:02 am

I can't understand why this "Filipino immigrant" and convicted felon has not been deported to his country of origin.

• Prince JackFebruary 05, 2013 - 10:24 am

Cosign

• Prince JackFebruary 05, 2013 - 10:18 am

Why is this the second day in a row that the Daily Republic has featured this parolee's story on the front page? I can think of a few things going on in Fairfield at this moment that are a million times more important. I'm all for someone getting their life together as this young man Francis Cunanan supposedly is, it's not an easy thing to do. I just hope this young man realizes how privileged he is to be living in this country. Perhaps now he can stop living like a dung beetle and make something of his life.

• Christine in FFFebruary 05, 2013 - 1:54 pm

If you read the article Jack~ it clearly states that this a 3 part series on this man's story.

• MelissaFebruary 05, 2013 - 11:51 am

Just because he's of Filipino descent, doesn't mean he's an immigrant. He may have been born in the US or a naturalized citizen.

• Teddy BruiseveltFebruary 05, 2013 - 12:56 pm

Melissa, if you read the article you would see that Cunanan was referred to by the author as being a "Filipino immigrant", which is precisely why I used the quotation marks. The concern here is not regarding his race, but rather his status as an immigrant, who by virtue of being a convicted felon, should be returned to his country of origin.

• Stop with all the negativityFebruary 05, 2013 - 1:59 pm

I'm really tired of all the negative comments surrounding the 3 part series. 1st - If he needs to go go his place of origin, maybe we should all leave since this was never really ours in the 1st place. 2nd - This gentleman is trying to improve his life. Kudos to him for realizing that he can and will do his best to improve his life. I'm sure he'll pay it forward. For those of you, who want to put him down, shame on you for judging him when you should probably look at yourself. 3rd - Glad to see the Daily Republic is showing that people in our community can really change and make a difference. There is HOPE.

• JoshFebruary 05, 2013 - 2:01 pm

A felon turning his life around is extraordinary enough for me to consider it news. Read the rest of the headlines from our county... so many murder trials and unsolved crimes. At least a group of citizens are TRYING to stop the problem at the source instead of complaining about the government not stopping all crime/curing evil or whatever the talkers expect. Good to see good people of action get some news.

• Prince JackFebruary 05, 2013 - 3:03 pm

Again, I think it's wonderful that this young man is taking steps to better himself as a human being. Right now is not the time to go patting him on the back though. As a certified drug and alcohol counselor I've worked with several substance abuser. At this juncture the worst thing you can do is pat this kid on the back. The second he rests on his laurels is the second he let's his guard down. That my friends is dangerous for someone new in recovery. Secondly the true test begins when he's away from the live-in program in which he coHabitats. Will he remain clean and sober when he isn't under the watchful of eye a counselor? I sure hope so, but statistics prove differently. His best bet right now is to keep doing the right thing so that he may break his dung beetle status, if you will and continue going to meetings. I wish this young man the best.

• IFebruary 05, 2013 - 10:22 pm

Praise the Lord! <3 :)

• Rich GiddensFebruary 05, 2013 - 10:26 pm

I can't understand why the Daily Republic hasnt published my comments defending this Filipino man who's trying to turn his life around. What's up with that? Doesnt make sense to me! I hope things turn out well and I hope we see an update on this story too! Mission Solano Rocks!

• MelissaFebruary 06, 2013 - 5:14 pm

@Teddy ~ I stand corrected. It does state that he moved here from the Philippines, but the article doesn't state whether he is a citizen or not. I would assume he is in fact a citizen, otherwise, deportation would've been the only action considering his criminal record. I agree wholeheartedly with "Stop with all the negativity". That being said, I applaud Mission Solano for their positive impact on the community at a time when donations are hard to come by. I also pray that Mr. Cunanan is able to successfully turn his life around.

Peace and patience: Quilters gear up for show

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1Comments are off for this post

School bands compete in Pageantry on Parade

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Calling someone a ‘smoker’ is hilarious

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Police seek suspect in armed robbery

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3, 3 Comments

4-H Presentation Day brings fun, education to Fairfield

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Conservancy plans next Quail Ridge Reserve walk

The agony of the codling moth, ecstasy of worm-free apples

By Christine Macgenn | From Page: C4

What you eat can affect your medications

By Marilyn Ranson | From Page: C4

Tri-City NAACP honors community members at gala event

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5 | Gallery

CAASC 18th Annual Chinese New Year and Scholarship Celebration

By Steve Reczkowski | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Rollover in Suisun City

By Aaron Rosenblatt | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

State schedules ramp closure at freeway project site

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Appointments on tap for Board of Supervisors meet

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

NY, SF town house prices through the roof

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

Fairfield police log: Feb. 27, 2015

Suisun City police log: Feb. 27, 2015

Airmen with local ties finish basic training

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B10

Force draws many from South, middle class

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

Christie to Calif. Republicans: No rush to pick 2016 nominee

US missionary abducted in Nigeria is courageous, friends say

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Dress that ‘greatly resembles’ stolen Nyong’o gown found

Weekend storm drops snow, rain, hail in California

Churches, synagogues, mosques bear tough New England winter

Blind dog rescued after being lost for 2 weeks in the cold

Details about proposed national monuments in California

National monument supporters in California get antsy

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Hyundai recalls 263,000 cars due to power-steering problem

US drone strike in Yemen kills 3 suspected al-Qaida fighters

Greece will not seek another bailout, prime minister says

Attacks kill 37 people in and north of Iraq’s capital

Nemtsov a possible ‘sacrificial victim,’ investigators say

Even Gruber deserves a break sometimes

By Megan Mcardle | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

I might just vote for a Democrat next time around

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 8 Comments

Aging Fairfield housing agency faltering

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Editorial Cartoon: March 1, 2015

Sound off for March 1, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

New school funding plan remains on bumpy path

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Today in History: March 1, 2015

Community Calendar: March 1, 2015

With numbers falling, Houston-area nuns’ future uncertain

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Horoscopes: March 1, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Kidney Walk participation helped give me a positive outlook on life

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Review: ‘The Girl on the Train’ has realistic plot

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2Comments are off for this post

Take a look – Dr. Seuss has a new book

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Publisher launches line of Warhol e-books

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Q&A: Opera star Deborah Voigt writes of turbulent life

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2Comments are off for this post

Vikings girls looking for first section title

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Local Report: Vaca’s Aquino wins Masters wrestling title

Phegley hopes his style will catch on in Oakland

A year after meeting Tiger, Indian golfer on the rise

Jeff Gordon takes a final spin at track that meant so much

Thunder’s Russell Westbrook has surgery on cheekbone

Anthony Mason, rugged forward of 1990s Knicks, dies at 48

Warriors center Festus Ezeli suspended for a game

Reichelt leads Austrian World Cup downhill sweep

Players’ union head: future spring games in Cuba possible

Harrington takes 36-hole lead, then more rain in Florida

Defending champ Federer beats Djokovic to retain Dubai title

Safarova beats Azarenka to win the Qatar Open

Environmental activists disrupt meeting by Olympic officials

Hamilton hones Mercedes with fastest time at F1 testing

Harvick wins Xfinity race at Atlanta for 3rd year in a row

Stolen No. 44 NASCAR race car found in suburban Atlanta

Fruits and vegetables get a star-studded marketing push

For many in US, cash saved at gas pump is staying in pockets

Historic snows causing headaches for real estate industry

Nevada casinos keep $953.7 million in winnings in January

Boy, 13, builds Braille printer with Legos, starts company

By The Associated Press | From Page: B9Comments are off for this post

Recalls this week: hand trucks, ceiling fans

Review: Freedom! These smartwatches leave the phone behind

Greek prime minister rules out third bailout

AP Exclusive: Fuel-hauling trains could derail at 10 a year