Holiday happenings crowd week’s calendar
FAIRFIELD — Today is the inaugural run of a new feature in the Daily Republic that highlights various local happenings in the coming days.
The list will include a select variety of activities for all ages happening in Solano County from Monday through Sunday. For more events, classes and meetings, see the Community Calendar daily on page A2 and the weekly Entertainment Calendar in the Diversions section each Friday.
This week features a host of holiday happenings:
- First up is the annual Bev Orlando Nativity display at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church in Fairfield. It features more than 200 Nativity scenes from around the world. The exhibit runs through Dec. 26. Hours this week are 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday, and 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Address is 2700 Dover Ave. For more information, call 429-0149, 422-4582 or 422-0872.
- Children are invited to come visit Santa at the Western Railway Museum from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Hot cocoa, hot cider, and story readings provided by the Solano County Library will be available. The museum is located east of Suisun City at 5848 Highway 12, Suisun City. For information, call 374-2978 or go to www.wrm.org.
- Suisun City’s Harbor Theatre will host “A Christmas Carol” at 7:30 p.m. Friday, 2 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. The show is put on by the nonprofit Solano Repertory Theatre Company. The Harbor Theatre is located at 720 Main St. in Suisun City. For more information, go to www.christmascarolsolanorep.brownpapertickets.com.
- Local residents will be treated to Missouri Street Theatre’s “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” at the Fairfield Center for Creative Arts this week through Dec. 29. This week’s dates are 8 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 2 p.m. Saturday and 6 p.m. Sunday. The center is located at 1035 Texas St. For more information, call 422-1598 or go to www.downtowntheatre.com.
- Shear FX is having a holiday toy drive that benefits Mission Solano. Tuesday is the last day to donate. Drop off location is 3336 N. Texas St., Suite 1 in Fairfield. For more information call, 422-1232.
- The Aquatics Complex at Allan Witt Park will host “Reindeer Aquatics Games” from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. Santa will be in attendance. Bring a swimsuit and towel. The pool is located at 1741 W. Texas St. in Fairfield. For more information, call 428-7726.
- The Workforce Investment Board of Solano County is putting on a free job assistance workshop Tuesday and Wednesday. Tips and tools for getting a job will be the focus. The workshop will take place at 320 Campus Lane in Fairfield. For more information and times, call 863-3551.
One last event, if it’s creeped up on you, and you haven’t realized it yet, this week encompasses the last full weekend to get your Christmas shopping done.
Reach Susan Winlow at 427-6955 or email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/swinlowdr.