Sunday, December 21, 2014

Ex-inmate picks up pieces in Rays of Hope program

francis03

Francis Cunanan, center, talks with Pastor Gary Hill, right, during bible study at Mission Solano. Cunanan began reading the bible in San Quentin but has found a deeper connection to Christianity during his time in Mission Solano's Rays of Hope program. (Brad Zweerink/Daily Republic)

From page A1 | February 04, 2013 |

FAIRFIELD — The first few days out of prison for Francis Cunanan were spent in homeless shelters.

While he was happy to be free after three years in county jail and prison, he never planned to be shipped around to local churches at night while volunteering during the day.

Because he arrived at Mission Solano late in the week, he needed to return Monday and take care of some paperwork before being admitted to the Rays of Hope program.

Cunanan said he had to make a decision to change his course, to reject thoughts of taking the easy route and going back to his life of crime. Essentially, he started over and gave himself to whatever Mission Solano’s program had in store for him.

“I kept saying ‘I can’t believe I’m in a homeless shelter.’ I thought about leaving. But if I went back to Vallejo, I’m going to start using again,” Cunanan said. “I was willing to change. If you’re not willing to change, it’s not going to happen.”

Time served

He thought about how easy it would be to hook back up with his friends. It wouldn’t take long to get a laptop computer, a printer and whatever other tools he needed for identity theft and check counterfeiting.

When he was finally arrested the last time in Napa near the end of 2008, he had a record in nearly every surrounding county. He’d been locked up and let out so many times he has to stop and think about each stint at a jail, even confusing them at times.

Fueled by an insatiable habit of crystal methamphetamine, he forged checks to get cash or goods. He stole identities while “ripping and running.” His weight dropped, staying up days at a time.

He lost the trust of family members along the way. His mom gave him a car and money to find a job. After having trouble finding anyone who would hire someone on probation, he up and left. Cunanan returned to his life, which led him back to a familiar place.

Cunanan thought of the 50-year-olds in prison. He knew by jumping back into the game, it would mean being locked up again. He knew that if he showed up begging, his mother couldn’t refuse to help. Then again, he knew that would only be temporary.

“I did this to myself. I need to get myself out,” he said. “Is that the kind of life I want?”

The kind of life he wanted was the one he gave up.

Cunanan came to America in 1999 from the Philippines. He talks about working two jobs. He drove a truck for 7-Up in the day and worked as a part-time server at Chevy’s at night. He lived comfortably, often working too much to be able to spend the money he made.

That all changed when he met a woman who introduced him to drugs, he said. It didn’t take long before he was messing up at work and quitting when his bosses started asking tough questions about his behavior, opting for a life of crime instead.

Settling in

When the Daily Republic first met Cunanan, it was his second day in the program and his fifth day of freedom. He spoke with brutal honesty of his past and how he was ashamed, his shyness mixed with a gentle calm. Cunanan desperately wanted to build something new.

“When I got here, I was broken. I had nowhere to go,” he said. “The first month was a lot of listening. A lot of adjusting. You don’t know what the results are going to be. You don’t know if it’s worth it.”

That first weekend was spent hanging in the smoking area of the Mission Solano parking lot. He wasn’t smoking, though, just passing time. Cunanan made the choice while still in prison to give up cigarettes, knowing that one vice would likely lead to more.

His first trip into society was a walk with another man at the shelter. They walked down to the CVS pharmacy to fill the man’s prescription. While waiting, Cunanan was filled with anxiety because of all the people walking around him.

When a woman approached him, which he later said was to possibly get his phone number, his paranoia took over.

“She came up and asked me something about her phone,” he said. “I put my hands up. I said ‘I don’t know you. I didn’t touch your phone. Leave me alone.’ ”

His first purchased meal was a Subway sandwich. He brightened, describing the first bites of something not made in a mess hall or shelter.

House rules

Shedding the prison mentality was also a challenge. Being segregated by race and constantly being on guard came natural to him.

“For two and a half years, you can’t talk to any white boys,” he said. “But I’m not in prison. No one is trying to get over on me.”

At Mission Solano, Cunanan was placed in the house with nine men from a variety of races and backgrounds. He sleeps in a small room, sharing it with another man. One of the first jobs he got was cleaning the bathroom. Then came cleaning the kitchen. After that was cooking.

As part of the program, a one-month blackout period is enforced. He was confined to Mission Solano activities only and most contact with the outside world was cut off for 30 days.

He began meetings: Narcotics Anonymous three times a week, Bible studies twice a week. He also attended a recovery group twice a week, where other men shared their stories and struggles.

Right about this time is when Cunanan started his devout Christianity. He said the only time he prayed was when the police were behind him or he was in a cell. Cunanan soon jumped feet first into religion.

Those principles would guide him through the next six months and help center him when he strays. Cunanan now works Scripture or a Bible story into most of his conversations about recovery.

“Basically, I’m walking on water right now. When I get off course, I ask for help,” he said, referring to Matthew 22. “Right now, I feel like God is opening doors for me.”

Reach Danny Bernardini at 427-6935 or dbernardini@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/dbernardinidr.

Danny Bernardini

Danny Bernardini

Danny is a newspaper man born and raised in Vacaville. He attended Chico State University and has written for the Enterprise Record and the Reporter. Covers the City of Fairfield, education and crime. A's, Warriors and Saints fan. Listener of vinyl, frequent visitor to the East Bay. Registered "decline to state" voter. Loves a good steak.

• Teddy BruiseveltFebruary 04, 2013 - 8:21 am

Why has this convicted felon and "Filipino immigrant" not been deported to his country of origin?

• SavetheRepublicFebruary 04, 2013 - 8:39 am

I am stating for the record that I am not Teddy Bruisevelt, this in not me. Thanks

• Danny BuntinFebruary 04, 2013 - 1:29 pm

@Teddy: Perhaps you might like to give a helping hand to him Teddy? I am sure someone helped you somewhere along the line in your life. Or let me guess, "You Built it". On a serious note, do you have a problem with second chances?

• AnonymousFebruary 04, 2013 - 3:34 pm

Proud of you Francis!! Keep doing what your doing!! ;)

• Rich GiddensFebruary 04, 2013 - 4:58 pm

Please stop casting stones at this man from the Philippines. Everybody deserves a second chance. If he was here illegally then ICE would have already deported him.

• sprdhewrdFebruary 04, 2013 - 6:52 pm

I have seen God work in the lives of many men and women who have been touch by the love shown at Mission SOLANO over the years. They are loved because God loved us and touched our lives and we want to show that love, peace and hope with others who are lost. Many of those I have known have since left this earth, many I still have contact with. Many had no hope here and left with hope for eternity.God loves each and everyone of us. There is Hope in Jesus Christ. DMM Norman,OK

• NOLIA REMBERTFebruary 04, 2013 - 9:07 pm

I AM SO HAPPY FOR MY BROTHER, ME TOO HAVE COME DOWN THE ROAD OF RECOVERY SO I DO KNOW HE IS RIGHT WHEN HE SAY GOD IS OPENING THE DOOR FOR HIM AND AS LONG AS PASTOE HILL IS HELPING I KNOW ALL IS WELL; I LOVE MISSION SOLANO - THEY REALLY HELP OUR PEOPLE WHO WANTS TO CHANGE THEIR LIVES AND DON'T KNOW HOW, I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO VOLUTEERING FOR THEM ONE DAY

• RyuFebruary 04, 2013 - 9:39 pm

This is a great story...we can focus on the negatives and ignore what the story is really about. But I think this can be inspirational to men and women of all ages. I was following this story before this was printed and it has given me hope and a little more understanding in my life.

• IFebruary 05, 2013 - 10:18 pm

Praise the Lord! <3 :)

• linzMarch 04, 2013 - 11:04 pm

I am so glad to hear you're doing so well. You never had to be alone. I loved you with all I had. I'm sorry.

The Salvation Army serves 1,000-plus across 2 days

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1, 7 Comments | Gallery

Blue Christmas service offers reflection, hope

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1

Shining bright for all to see: Locals deck out yards, homes

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Time for annual Solano County quiz

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Bevy of holiday activities at Western Railway Museum

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3 | Gallery

State Fair scholarship applications available

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Get tested, know your status

By Morgan Westfall | From Page: C4

Free New Year’s celebration slated

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

New development fees start Jan. 1 in Vacaville

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

A word of warning for Senator Warren

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7, 11 Comments

New technology chief will join McNaughton Newspapers

By Tanya Perez | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Dec. 19, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 19, 2014

Sky-high price has VA rationing hep C drug

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

Air Force admits nuke flaws, but will fixes work?

Officials: Missing dog was dyed to deceive

Immigrants build document trails to remain in US

California officer kills teen after machete attack

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

Design of Golden Gate Bridge suicide barrier OK’d

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

2 dozen injured in southern Indiana bus crash

4 teens die in fiery head-on crash in Pennsylvania

Texas ranchers seeking alternative incomes

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

North Korea proposes joint probe over Sony hacking

2 car bombs rock southern Sweden’s city of Malmo

Bombings kill 12 in Iraq

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

US sends 4 Afghans back home from Guantanamo

Panama’s Noriega in prison 25 years post-invasion

Burying the dead after Pakistan’s school massacre

A chance to breach divide for young in Cuba and US

Editorial Cartoon: Dec. 21, 2014

By Daily Republic Syndicated Content | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Season’s greetings from the Obamas

By Alexandra Petri | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

New school finance strategy lacks accountability

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Sound off for Dec. 21, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Today in History: Dec. 21, 2014

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2, 4 Comments

Community Calendar: Dec. 21, 2014

Vatican offers olive branch to US nuns

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3, 1 Comment

Why celebrate Christmas?

By Noel Reese | From Page: C3, 2 Comments

Horoscopes: Dec. 21, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Should I ask grandson why we weren’t included in wedding photos?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Review: ‘Five’ by Ursula Archer is intriguing

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Publisher hopes to sell books through Twitter

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Chris Colfer has multi-book deal

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Jerry Lee Lewis: Sustained by brief blaze of glory

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

New Giants 3B McGehee eager to play back home

Interim coaching jobs present challenges in bowls

49ers squander 21-point lead in 4th straight loss

No. 11 Lady Vols trounce No. 7 Stanford 59-40

Eagles near elimination, fall 27-24 to Redskins

Raiders place cornerback Brown on injured reserve

Big moves bring big hope for Chicago baseball

US skier Nyman wins Gardena downhill for 3rd time

Vonn wins women’s World Cup downhill in France

This date in sports history for Sunday, Dec. 21, 2014

Your info has been hacked. Now what do you do?

On the money: 4 ways to hold on to your cash when renting a car

Recalls this week: Bean bag chairs, toy monkeys

Scarecrows outnumber people in dying Japan town

Dominic C. Scolaro