Monday, September 1, 2014

Ex-inmate picks up pieces in Rays of Hope program

francis03

Francis Cunanan, center, talks with Pastor Gary Hill, right, during bible study at Mission Solano. Cunanan began reading the bible in San Quentin but has found a deeper connection to Christianity during his time in Mission Solano's Rays of Hope program. (Brad Zweerink/Daily Republic)

From page A1 | February 04, 2013 |

FAIRFIELD — The first few days out of prison for Francis Cunanan were spent in homeless shelters.

While he was happy to be free after three years in county jail and prison, he never planned to be shipped around to local churches at night while volunteering during the day.

Because he arrived at Mission Solano late in the week, he needed to return Monday and take care of some paperwork before being admitted to the Rays of Hope program.

Cunanan said he had to make a decision to change his course, to reject thoughts of taking the easy route and going back to his life of crime. Essentially, he started over and gave himself to whatever Mission Solano’s program had in store for him.

“I kept saying ‘I can’t believe I’m in a homeless shelter.’ I thought about leaving. But if I went back to Vallejo, I’m going to start using again,” Cunanan said. “I was willing to change. If you’re not willing to change, it’s not going to happen.”

Time served

He thought about how easy it would be to hook back up with his friends. It wouldn’t take long to get a laptop computer, a printer and whatever other tools he needed for identity theft and check counterfeiting.

When he was finally arrested the last time in Napa near the end of 2008, he had a record in nearly every surrounding county. He’d been locked up and let out so many times he has to stop and think about each stint at a jail, even confusing them at times.

Fueled by an insatiable habit of crystal methamphetamine, he forged checks to get cash or goods. He stole identities while “ripping and running.” His weight dropped, staying up days at a time.

He lost the trust of family members along the way. His mom gave him a car and money to find a job. After having trouble finding anyone who would hire someone on probation, he up and left. Cunanan returned to his life, which led him back to a familiar place.

Cunanan thought of the 50-year-olds in prison. He knew by jumping back into the game, it would mean being locked up again. He knew that if he showed up begging, his mother couldn’t refuse to help. Then again, he knew that would only be temporary.

“I did this to myself. I need to get myself out,” he said. “Is that the kind of life I want?”

The kind of life he wanted was the one he gave up.

Cunanan came to America in 1999 from the Philippines. He talks about working two jobs. He drove a truck for 7-Up in the day and worked as a part-time server at Chevy’s at night. He lived comfortably, often working too much to be able to spend the money he made.

That all changed when he met a woman who introduced him to drugs, he said. It didn’t take long before he was messing up at work and quitting when his bosses started asking tough questions about his behavior, opting for a life of crime instead.

Settling in

When the Daily Republic first met Cunanan, it was his second day in the program and his fifth day of freedom. He spoke with brutal honesty of his past and how he was ashamed, his shyness mixed with a gentle calm. Cunanan desperately wanted to build something new.

“When I got here, I was broken. I had nowhere to go,” he said. “The first month was a lot of listening. A lot of adjusting. You don’t know what the results are going to be. You don’t know if it’s worth it.”

That first weekend was spent hanging in the smoking area of the Mission Solano parking lot. He wasn’t smoking, though, just passing time. Cunanan made the choice while still in prison to give up cigarettes, knowing that one vice would likely lead to more.

His first trip into society was a walk with another man at the shelter. They walked down to the CVS pharmacy to fill the man’s prescription. While waiting, Cunanan was filled with anxiety because of all the people walking around him.

When a woman approached him, which he later said was to possibly get his phone number, his paranoia took over.

“She came up and asked me something about her phone,” he said. “I put my hands up. I said ‘I don’t know you. I didn’t touch your phone. Leave me alone.’ ”

His first purchased meal was a Subway sandwich. He brightened, describing the first bites of something not made in a mess hall or shelter.

House rules

Shedding the prison mentality was also a challenge. Being segregated by race and constantly being on guard came natural to him.

“For two and a half years, you can’t talk to any white boys,” he said. “But I’m not in prison. No one is trying to get over on me.”

At Mission Solano, Cunanan was placed in the house with nine men from a variety of races and backgrounds. He sleeps in a small room, sharing it with another man. One of the first jobs he got was cleaning the bathroom. Then came cleaning the kitchen. After that was cooking.

As part of the program, a one-month blackout period is enforced. He was confined to Mission Solano activities only and most contact with the outside world was cut off for 30 days.

He began meetings: Narcotics Anonymous three times a week, Bible studies twice a week. He also attended a recovery group twice a week, where other men shared their stories and struggles.

Right about this time is when Cunanan started his devout Christianity. He said the only time he prayed was when the police were behind him or he was in a cell. Cunanan soon jumped feet first into religion.

Those principles would guide him through the next six months and help center him when he strays. Cunanan now works Scripture or a Bible story into most of his conversations about recovery.

“Basically, I’m walking on water right now. When I get off course, I ask for help,” he said, referring to Matthew 22. “Right now, I feel like God is opening doors for me.”

Reach Danny Bernardini at 427-6935 or dbernardini@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/dbernardinidr.

Danny Bernardini

Danny Bernardini

Danny is a newspaper man born and raised in Vacaville. He attended Chico State University and has written for the Enterprise Record and the Reporter. Covers the City of Fairfield, education and crime. A's, Warriors and Saints fan. Listener of vinyl, frequent visitor to the East Bay. Registered "decline to state" voter. Loves a good steak.

• Teddy BruiseveltFebruary 04, 2013 - 8:21 am

Why has this convicted felon and "Filipino immigrant" not been deported to his country of origin?

• SavetheRepublicFebruary 04, 2013 - 8:39 am

I am stating for the record that I am not Teddy Bruisevelt, this in not me. Thanks

• Danny BuntinFebruary 04, 2013 - 1:29 pm

@Teddy: Perhaps you might like to give a helping hand to him Teddy? I am sure someone helped you somewhere along the line in your life. Or let me guess, "You Built it". On a serious note, do you have a problem with second chances?

• AnonymousFebruary 04, 2013 - 3:34 pm

Proud of you Francis!! Keep doing what your doing!! ;)

• Rich GiddensFebruary 04, 2013 - 4:58 pm

Please stop casting stones at this man from the Philippines. Everybody deserves a second chance. If he was here illegally then ICE would have already deported him.

• sprdhewrdFebruary 04, 2013 - 6:52 pm

I have seen God work in the lives of many men and women who have been touch by the love shown at Mission SOLANO over the years. They are loved because God loved us and touched our lives and we want to show that love, peace and hope with others who are lost. Many of those I have known have since left this earth, many I still have contact with. Many had no hope here and left with hope for eternity.God loves each and everyone of us. There is Hope in Jesus Christ. DMM Norman,OK

• NOLIA REMBERTFebruary 04, 2013 - 9:07 pm

I AM SO HAPPY FOR MY BROTHER, ME TOO HAVE COME DOWN THE ROAD OF RECOVERY SO I DO KNOW HE IS RIGHT WHEN HE SAY GOD IS OPENING THE DOOR FOR HIM AND AS LONG AS PASTOE HILL IS HELPING I KNOW ALL IS WELL; I LOVE MISSION SOLANO - THEY REALLY HELP OUR PEOPLE WHO WANTS TO CHANGE THEIR LIVES AND DON'T KNOW HOW, I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO VOLUTEERING FOR THEM ONE DAY

• RyuFebruary 04, 2013 - 9:39 pm

This is a great story...we can focus on the negatives and ignore what the story is really about. But I think this can be inspirational to men and women of all ages. I was following this story before this was printed and it has given me hope and a little more understanding in my life.

• IFebruary 05, 2013 - 10:18 pm

Praise the Lord! <3 :)

• linzMarch 04, 2013 - 11:04 pm

I am so glad to hear you're doing so well. You never had to be alone. I loved you with all I had. I'm sorry.

Highway 12 project nears completion

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 3 Comments | Gallery

‘Snail mail’ still kinda cool

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2

Senior center schedules discussion on senior travel

Local government schedule meetings

Car club raises funds, supplies for SPCA

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Democrats plan candidates meet, greet

By Glen Faison | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

Stand Up 2 Cancer Viewing party set in Vacaville

Goodwill opens Outlet Store in Fairfield

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7, 2 Comments | Gallery

Premier post details of new lease

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7

Il Fiorello to host jazz event

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

New doctors join NorthBay

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7

Small earthquakes shake Solano

By Glen Faison | From Page: A9, 1 Comment

Is social media enlarging or stifling democracy?

By Cynthia M. Allen | From Page: A8

Compromise on Cordelia Road rail crossing costs

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 4 Comments

Justice for all

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 9 Comments

Good job, Susan Winlow

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

Editorial Cartoon: Sept. 1, 2014

Whopper of a tax dodge for Burger King

By Mike Kirchubel | From Page: A8, 26 Comments

Community Calendar: Sept. 1, 2014

Today in History: Sept. 1, 2014

Horoscopes: Sept. 1, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B5

Is my husband right when he says men aren’t made for monogamy?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B5

Horoscopes: Sept. 2, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B7

5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office

By Jake Coyle | From Page: A11

Joan Rivers’ daughter: I’m keeping fingers crossed

Kahne holds off Kenseth to win Atlanta shootout

Wozniacki outlasts Sharapova, in US Open quarters

Falcons looking to be defensive

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Source: 49ers OL Boone agrees to new 2-yr deal

49er Ray McDonald accused of domestic violence

By The Associated Press | From Page: B1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Sam clears waivers, meets with Fisher

FC Kansas City wins NWSL title over Seattle, 2-1

Raiders claim DE Mayowa off waivers

Jensen waived after Jaguars awarded TE Shuler

Otto wins Italian Open; Gallacher comes up short

Weather for Monday, Sept. 1, 2014

Henley takes a 1-shot lead at Deutsche Bank

Dunn dealt to A’s, could be his last shot playoffs

Fred Couples wins Champions Tour event

A’s frustrated after 8-1 loss caps sweep by Angels

Ernst wins LPGA’s Portland Classic in playoff

Giants power past Brewers 15-5 for 3-game sweep

Down at half, US beats Turkey in basketball worlds

Source: Chiefs’ Smith agrees to 4-yr extension

Tony Stewart’s return to race track ends early

This date in sports history for Monday, Sept. 1, 2014