Sunday, April 19, 2015

Ex-inmate picks up pieces in Rays of Hope program

francis03

Francis Cunanan, center, talks with Pastor Gary Hill, right, during bible study at Mission Solano. Cunanan began reading the bible in San Quentin but has found a deeper connection to Christianity during his time in Mission Solano's Rays of Hope program. (Brad Zweerink/Daily Republic)

From page A1 | February 04, 2013 |

FAIRFIELD — The first few days out of prison for Francis Cunanan were spent in homeless shelters.

While he was happy to be free after three years in county jail and prison, he never planned to be shipped around to local churches at night while volunteering during the day.

Because he arrived at Mission Solano late in the week, he needed to return Monday and take care of some paperwork before being admitted to the Rays of Hope program.

Cunanan said he had to make a decision to change his course, to reject thoughts of taking the easy route and going back to his life of crime. Essentially, he started over and gave himself to whatever Mission Solano’s program had in store for him.

“I kept saying ‘I can’t believe I’m in a homeless shelter.’ I thought about leaving. But if I went back to Vallejo, I’m going to start using again,” Cunanan said. “I was willing to change. If you’re not willing to change, it’s not going to happen.”

Time served

He thought about how easy it would be to hook back up with his friends. It wouldn’t take long to get a laptop computer, a printer and whatever other tools he needed for identity theft and check counterfeiting.

When he was finally arrested the last time in Napa near the end of 2008, he had a record in nearly every surrounding county. He’d been locked up and let out so many times he has to stop and think about each stint at a jail, even confusing them at times.

Fueled by an insatiable habit of crystal methamphetamine, he forged checks to get cash or goods. He stole identities while “ripping and running.” His weight dropped, staying up days at a time.

He lost the trust of family members along the way. His mom gave him a car and money to find a job. After having trouble finding anyone who would hire someone on probation, he up and left. Cunanan returned to his life, which led him back to a familiar place.

Cunanan thought of the 50-year-olds in prison. He knew by jumping back into the game, it would mean being locked up again. He knew that if he showed up begging, his mother couldn’t refuse to help. Then again, he knew that would only be temporary.

“I did this to myself. I need to get myself out,” he said. “Is that the kind of life I want?”

The kind of life he wanted was the one he gave up.

Cunanan came to America in 1999 from the Philippines. He talks about working two jobs. He drove a truck for 7-Up in the day and worked as a part-time server at Chevy’s at night. He lived comfortably, often working too much to be able to spend the money he made.

That all changed when he met a woman who introduced him to drugs, he said. It didn’t take long before he was messing up at work and quitting when his bosses started asking tough questions about his behavior, opting for a life of crime instead.

Settling in

When the Daily Republic first met Cunanan, it was his second day in the program and his fifth day of freedom. He spoke with brutal honesty of his past and how he was ashamed, his shyness mixed with a gentle calm. Cunanan desperately wanted to build something new.

“When I got here, I was broken. I had nowhere to go,” he said. “The first month was a lot of listening. A lot of adjusting. You don’t know what the results are going to be. You don’t know if it’s worth it.”

That first weekend was spent hanging in the smoking area of the Mission Solano parking lot. He wasn’t smoking, though, just passing time. Cunanan made the choice while still in prison to give up cigarettes, knowing that one vice would likely lead to more.

His first trip into society was a walk with another man at the shelter. They walked down to the CVS pharmacy to fill the man’s prescription. While waiting, Cunanan was filled with anxiety because of all the people walking around him.

When a woman approached him, which he later said was to possibly get his phone number, his paranoia took over.

“She came up and asked me something about her phone,” he said. “I put my hands up. I said ‘I don’t know you. I didn’t touch your phone. Leave me alone.’ ”

His first purchased meal was a Subway sandwich. He brightened, describing the first bites of something not made in a mess hall or shelter.

House rules

Shedding the prison mentality was also a challenge. Being segregated by race and constantly being on guard came natural to him.

“For two and a half years, you can’t talk to any white boys,” he said. “But I’m not in prison. No one is trying to get over on me.”

At Mission Solano, Cunanan was placed in the house with nine men from a variety of races and backgrounds. He sleeps in a small room, sharing it with another man. One of the first jobs he got was cleaning the bathroom. Then came cleaning the kitchen. After that was cooking.

As part of the program, a one-month blackout period is enforced. He was confined to Mission Solano activities only and most contact with the outside world was cut off for 30 days.

He began meetings: Narcotics Anonymous three times a week, Bible studies twice a week. He also attended a recovery group twice a week, where other men shared their stories and struggles.

Right about this time is when Cunanan started his devout Christianity. He said the only time he prayed was when the police were behind him or he was in a cell. Cunanan soon jumped feet first into religion.

Those principles would guide him through the next six months and help center him when he strays. Cunanan now works Scripture or a Bible story into most of his conversations about recovery.

“Basically, I’m walking on water right now. When I get off course, I ask for help,” he said, referring to Matthew 22. “Right now, I feel like God is opening doors for me.”

Reach Danny Bernardini at 427-6935 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/dbernardinidr.

Danny Bernardini

Danny Bernardini

Danny is a newspaper man born and raised in Vacaville. He attended Chico State University and has written for the Enterprise Record and the Reporter. Covers the City of Fairfield, education and crime. A's, Warriors and Saints fan. Listener of vinyl, frequent visitor to the East Bay. Registered "decline to state" voter. Loves a good steak.

• Teddy BruiseveltFebruary 04, 2013 - 8:21 am

Why has this convicted felon and "Filipino immigrant" not been deported to his country of origin?

• SavetheRepublicFebruary 04, 2013 - 8:39 am

I am stating for the record that I am not Teddy Bruisevelt, this in not me. Thanks

• Danny BuntinFebruary 04, 2013 - 1:29 pm

@Teddy: Perhaps you might like to give a helping hand to him Teddy? I am sure someone helped you somewhere along the line in your life. Or let me guess, "You Built it". On a serious note, do you have a problem with second chances?

• AnonymousFebruary 04, 2013 - 3:34 pm

Proud of you Francis!! Keep doing what your doing!! ;)

• Rich GiddensFebruary 04, 2013 - 4:58 pm

Please stop casting stones at this man from the Philippines. Everybody deserves a second chance. If he was here illegally then ICE would have already deported him.

• sprdhewrdFebruary 04, 2013 - 6:52 pm

I have seen God work in the lives of many men and women who have been touch by the love shown at Mission SOLANO over the years. They are loved because God loved us and touched our lives and we want to show that love, peace and hope with others who are lost. Many of those I have known have since left this earth, many I still have contact with. Many had no hope here and left with hope for eternity.God loves each and everyone of us. There is Hope in Jesus Christ. DMM Norman,OK

• NOLIA REMBERTFebruary 04, 2013 - 9:07 pm

I AM SO HAPPY FOR MY BROTHER, ME TOO HAVE COME DOWN THE ROAD OF RECOVERY SO I DO KNOW HE IS RIGHT WHEN HE SAY GOD IS OPENING THE DOOR FOR HIM AND AS LONG AS PASTOE HILL IS HELPING I KNOW ALL IS WELL; I LOVE MISSION SOLANO - THEY REALLY HELP OUR PEOPLE WHO WANTS TO CHANGE THEIR LIVES AND DON'T KNOW HOW, I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO VOLUTEERING FOR THEM ONE DAY

• RyuFebruary 04, 2013 - 9:39 pm

This is a great story...we can focus on the negatives and ignore what the story is really about. But I think this can be inspirational to men and women of all ages. I was following this story before this was printed and it has given me hope and a little more understanding in my life.

• IFebruary 05, 2013 - 10:18 pm

Praise the Lord! <3 :)

• linzMarch 04, 2013 - 11:04 pm

I am so glad to hear you're doing so well. You never had to be alone. I loved you with all I had. I'm sorry.

Tiny twins call Heather House their 1st home

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1, 40 Comments | Gallery

Solano ranks last in Bay Area for health

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

SID to consider water rate hikes

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A1

Waiting game: Woman, toddler hope for kidney transplants

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Bachelor party turns into community event

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 3 Comments | Gallery

Il Fiorello serves up chocolate desserts

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

City announces Browns Valley Road closures

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3

Healthier Living program begins mid-May

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3

When to throw in the towel on sickly plants

By Karen Metz | From Page: C4

Coping with seasonal allergies

By Emerita Brigino-Buenaventura, M.d | From Page: C4

Church hosts health, wellness fair

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Solano superhero back in school

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Weather for Sunday, April 19, 2015

Home, garden show offers something for everyone

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A6 | Gallery

Land use, design, project synergy key to growth

By Brian Miller and Karl Dumas | From Page: B7

2 nations at center of market drop

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

Vanden robotics team ready to compete in world championships

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Fairfield hotel gets major renovation

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Teen victim of Dixon shooting dies

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A7, 4 Comments

Fairfield police log: April 17, 2015

By Glen Faison | From Page: A9

Suisun City police log: April 17, 2015

By Glen Faison | From Page: A9

Commissary-Exchange pairing gains steam

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B10

Airmen with county ties complete training

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B10

Time plus distance help some Oklahoma City victims move on

San Francisco marks anniversary of 1906 earthquake

Scarlett O’Hara outfit fetches $137,000 at auction

Turin Shroud goes back on display for faithful and curious

French replica of revolutionary frigate sets sail for Boston

Islamic State blamed for Afghan suicide bombing killing 35

Sound off for April 19, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

Talk about corruption

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 8 Comments

Justice not served

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 24 Comments

Clinton should spruce up a bit

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 20 Comments

Today in history: Sunday, April 19, 2015

Community Calendar: April 19, 2015

Vatican unexpectedly ends crackdown of US nun group

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Horoscopes: April 19, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Wife needs to decide if she can tolerate husband’s binge drinking

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Anna Kendrick has book of essays coming out in 2016

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Phil Klay, Leslie Jamison among PEN award nominees

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Reddick’s 3-run homer sends A’s to 5-0 victory over Royals

Cal defense shines for a change at scripted spring game

Crawford, Heston lead Giants to win

Curry scores 34, Warriors beat Pelicans 106-99 in Game 1

Merritt maintains edge through 3 rounds at RBC Heritage

Jones throws 2 TDs, wins challenge at Ohio State spring game

Serena Williams gets a rare test from Giorgi but holds on

Tom Watson: Next Masters might be his last

Free agent center Wisniewski signs 1-year deal with Jaguars

Pete Rose hired by Fox as special guest studio analyst

Marcotte, Ryan win US cycling Criterium championships

Independent league experiments with 3-ball walks

As Spurs know, international players can impact NBA playoffs

Rose scores 23, Bulls beat Bucks 103-91

Harden has 24 points, Rockets beat Mavs 118-108 in Game 1

Pierce leads Wizards past Raptors in OT in Game 1

Hometown report: Little League baseball

Hometown report: Youth track

Kenseth content in car and not contemplating retirement

Logano leads flag-to-flag to win Xfinity race at Bristol

This date in sports history for April 19

Using a prepaid card? Avoid getting socked with fees

By The Washington Post | From Page: B7

Recalls this week: blowers, bike hooks, mattresses, toys

This year’s fight for the tech industry: Patent trolls

IMS: US prescription drug spending jumped 13 percent in 2014

Fast-growing Asian aviation confronts safety challenges

John Thompson

Allen Ellsworth Dolby Sr.

Carole Anspach