Solano County

DA kicks more cash into campaign; endorsements continue

By From page A3 | April 19, 2014

FAIRFIELD — With a $75,000 donation to his own campaign earlier this week, District Attorney Donald A. du Bain has now given his campaign nearly $225,000.

The latest donation follows donations of $20,000 and $30,000 apiece that du Bain put into his campaign a few weeks ago. Those donations accompany more than $80,000 left over from a loan of nearly $100,000 du Bain made to his initial 2010 campaign. The large early cash infusion scared off potential opponents enabling du Bain to be elected unopposed.

In contrast to the 2010 election, this year du Bain is being challenged by one of the top prosecutors in his office, Krishna A. Abrams.

In recent days, the only significant campaign contribution Abrams has reported is a $1,000 donation by her father.

Abrams’ campaign announced Friday it has picked up the endorsement of Service Employee International Union 1021 that has 54,000 members throughout Northern California, including 2,500 members who work or live in Solano County. The most recent endorsement promoted by the du Bain campaign was by the Solano County Association of Deputy District Attorneys, a 46-member coalition of prosecutors in du Bain’s office.

Du Bain updated his campaign’s Facebook page Friday to include pictures and details about a press conference and workshop he conducted Wednesday in his capacity as district attorney for local law enforcement on human trafficking. The campaign’s Facebook page features Carissa Phelps, a crime victim of trafficking who later went on to found a nonprofit organization that advocates for victims of trafficking.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

• The MisterApril 19, 2014 - 7:12 am

He might want to save a bit for his defense... or at least to supplement his unemployment check.

• Kim MillerApril 19, 2014 - 12:58 pm

This is all so entertaining! Anyone who could possibly find a malicious thing to say about Don clearly has never spent a moment in his presence because if you did, you would be grateful to know such an incredible gentleman. A true class act, of which, there are sadly very few remaining in politics anymore. All of us over here in Napa County are rooting for you DDB!!! #teamdubain, Kimberly Miller Editor, Napa Sonoma Magazine

• Truth BetoldApril 19, 2014 - 4:44 pm

Saying Dubain bought his wife and friends is jealously and pure stupidity. Look at the facts and not hide behind ridiculous accusations that are completely unfounded. Let's dig in the past of his opponent and then let's compare notes if you want to go down that road... Otherwise let their careers do the talking. Maybe Don didn't have opponent first time around because he is and should be unrivaled.

• http://www.abrams4da.com/23-2/April 19, 2014 - 6:18 pm

Uncontested ... Phooey... I think Public Debate and Sunshine are always good things... May the Best person win.

• Hmm...April 19, 2014 - 6:26 pm

Kim, Don is very polite, easy to talk to, and quick to smile. The problem is that his office approaches the prosecution of criminals much the same way. This county needs a DA that is tough on crime, puts together great prosecutions, and isnt afraid to stand up to criminals to protect the public!!!

• Politics As UsualApril 19, 2014 - 7:18 am

Abrahams has the DR running her campaign, she doesn't need donations.

• No FoolApril 19, 2014 - 8:34 am

duBain thinks he can buy his re-election like the Yankee's bought the World Series trophy. Abrams on the other hand wants to win hers on merritt. duBain has bought friends, a wife and his job. Don't know if he can buy a re-election.

• LoveMyCommunityApril 19, 2014 - 9:38 am

Hey, No 'Fool', look up the proper spelling of MERIT before you call someone's wife, whom you don't even know, a prostitute. Your sexist message gets lost by your inability to spell.

• JeremyApril 19, 2014 - 11:52 am

No Fool, you sure sound like one today. It is absurd that someone would bring the mans wife into a political conversation. You are what is wrong with society today. An internet tough guy who hides behind their keyboard and throws darts, but then sees someone in public and probably is nice. If he is even in your class, which I doubt based on your ignorant and sexist comment.

• A Pet Peeve of mine is what I call Illuminati tacticsApril 19, 2014 - 12:45 pm

I am No Fool, nor am I a relative, or friend of No Fool, I do not know who No Fool is... I may not even agree with No Fool... but this is another example of someone trying to frame a conversation by saying someone said something they did not say... No Fool never brought up any type of conversation about anything illicit or illegal involving the wife of Mr. du Bain. I think the insinuation is just that money talks and if you through money at things and people it can tend to make you more attractive to them or better able to influence outcomes if you have money.

• MDSApril 19, 2014 - 1:17 pm

He claimed the man bought his wife. Only a fool would think that was not a direct insult to the man's wife.

• JeremyApril 19, 2014 - 1:56 pm

I have pet peeves too, a person who makes a baseless, completely judgmental and utterly ridiculous claim and then my second, is a person who apologizes for that claim by trying to spin it.

• Well is it not a fact...April 19, 2014 - 2:37 pm

That Mr. du Bain has lots of money to throw into his own campaign? True or False Money buys influence. I am through, No Further Comment from me on this issue.

• JeremyApril 19, 2014 - 3:05 pm

So does charisma and charm. What everyone is overlooking here is the fact that it is HIS money. I actually find it refreshing that he cares that much about our county to put his own money out there.

• Well ... OK I will say one more thing...April 19, 2014 - 3:56 pm

Now this really is down the conspiracy rabbit hole.. I have not gone into the Illuminati/Masonic control of the court system... The Illuminati does operate down to the County Level.. after all they are all about Control... So I would wonder .... Why is it so Important to him that he keep his position? Maybe only .5 to 1% of the population are bona fied Illuminati agents, so having the correct person in the correct place is important... I am not saying Mr. du Bain is Illuminati, I am just using this as an illustration. Mr du Baine does seem to hob nob with a lot of Upper Class San Francisco types though. I am trying to provoke thought... Ask yourself the question... If there is such a thing as the Illuminati, and if they operate down to the county level, which positions would be targeted for control? I do not know Mr. du Baine... again this is just to provoke thought.

• OK ... Now I will say something nice...April 19, 2014 - 4:34 pm

I am anti-war so that Mr. du Bain worked with Pete McCloskey, would appear to be a good thing... I really do not know either candidate. Just another comment the real bad guys like the Clintons and their Clinton Global Initiative, can appear good, but be hiding evil deeds.... Wikipedia Pete McCloskey. I will shut up now.

• http://www.co.solano.ca.us/default.aspApril 19, 2014 - 5:03 pm

Solano County does have an Excellent Website... very commendable. Everyone should surf it and become familiar with the Departments of County Government. I find it very interesting.

• Rich GiddensApril 19, 2014 - 7:01 pm

I read it long ago and I even commented to DuBain positively about it. Pete McCloskey was a Korean War Hero and he was prescient enough to know that Vietnam would be a loser. The only question I would ask DuBain is if he is a Huguenot like me! DuBain's dad was like actor / OSS agent Sterling Hayden (who played Gen. Jack D. Ripper in Hollywood's Dr. Strangelove). So was my dad! And my father was an attorney too.

• Rich GiddensApril 19, 2014 - 7:05 pm

The problem with DuBain is he wants to protect bad cops who are engaged in illegal activities and DuBain along with his staff have been found to be coaching witness testimony, suborning perjury, lying to judges in desperation, malicious prosecutions, altering previously concluded findings, obstructing justice, violating and denying civil rights of accused and victims---really bad stuff that's impeachable and convictable.

• Rich GiddensApril 19, 2014 - 8:58 am

Donald DuBain's mission, moral and budget failures are an embarrassment.

• May BeeApril 19, 2014 - 8:43 pm

Why are we even thinking of electing this lady , She does not even live here in Solano county she lays her head down in the town of Davis. Last I looked that is not Solano.

• InsiderApril 19, 2014 - 9:31 pm

DuBain lays his in SF. For a fact!!!

• JeremyApril 19, 2014 - 9:39 pm

Insider, or not so much in this case, he actually lives in FF. People choose to get away outside of their primary residence in different places. Some Tahoe, some LA, some SF. Check your "facts" next time.

• Ryan EApril 19, 2014 - 10:29 pm

With crime becoming bigger city type crime in Solano County, I put my backing in Don. We need a solid DA with a proven track record, not someone who is unproven with the stresses that are public office. Team duBain is solid on crime, solid on Solano County, solid on family, and my solid vote!

• Rich GiddensApril 19, 2014 - 11:09 pm

That's laughable---DuBain's wasteful, malicious and false prosecutions railroad train jumped the tracks twice this week and the lawsuits are starting to pile up!

• ?April 19, 2014 - 9:40 pm

I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed

• Not 4 SaleApril 19, 2014 - 11:05 pm

Prior to becoming DA du Bain's career as a prosecutor was unremarkable. Back in 2010 he dropped 100k to fund his campaign and the contenders became pretenders. Money talked. 2014 he's back at it. du Bain should do something good with that money and give it to a charity for underprivileged kids. I guess it takes obscene amounts of money to cover up all the acquittals and ethics violations.