18 crash 1

California Highway Patrol officers investigate the scene of a crash along eastbound Interstate 80 at the eastbound Highway 12 interchange in Fairfield, Thursday. The driver of the Chevrolet Impala hit a truck whose crew was doing contract work for the California Department of Transportation. Two contract workers and the driver of the Impala had injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening. (Aaron Rosenblatt/Daily Republic)

Solano County

Crash shuts I-80 offramp to Highway 12

By From page A5 | April 18, 2014

FAIRFIELD — A vehicle hit a freeway work crew Thursday night and shut down the eastbound Highway 12 connector from Interstate 80 leading toward Suisun City and Rio Vista.

The accident happened at 9:15 p.m. The firm O. C. Jones was doing contract work for the state Department of Transportation that involved restriping and had one lane closed, California Highway Patrol Officer Chris Parker said. The workers had begun to end the closure.

Workers had their vehicle backed up to a lighted arrow board trailer that directs traffic and were trying to hook up the trailer, Parker said. A red Chevrolet Impala hit two workers and the trailer, Parker said.

The two O.C. Jones workers, who saw the oncoming vehicle and tried to get out of the way, suffered minor injuries, Parker said. They were taken to NorthBay Medical Center.

The driver of the Impala needed to be extricated from the car. He suffered a broken leg and was taken to an area hospital. He was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence, Parker said. Parker did not have the driver’s name.

O.C. Jones had done the restriping work without California Highway Patrol traffic control, Parker said. He declined to speculate as to why that had happened, but said the California Highway Patrol prefers to see traffic control in place for freeway projects.

The state issued a severe traffic alert at 9:27 p.m. for the crash and closed down the Highway 12 east offramp. Flares blocked the ramp and an array of emergency vehicles with flashing lights were at the scene, but traffic continued to flow on I-80. The roadway was clear a little more than two hours later.

Reach Barry Eberling at 427-6929 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/beberlingdr.

Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling has been a reporter with the Daily Republic since 1987. He covers Solano County government, transportation, growth and the environment. He received his bachelors of art degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara and his masters degree in journalism from the University of California, Berkeley.

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 6:36 am

Two innocent guys trying to do their all ready dangerous job when an idi*t "suspected of driving under the influence." nearly kills them. SO glad the guys are ok. Wondering if dude is one of the many drivers with several DUI's? Too bad he'll pay his fine and get out waiting for trial. This crime should have a $10K non-refundable penalty just to open the cell door. Bail and other fees/fines should follow. This crap makes me really angry!

• ronald ragenApril 18, 2014 - 8:04 am

The guy that Did it is in Critical Condition,you should pray for his recovery and not be so judgmental,you may have several D.U.I's for all we know.

• CD BrooksApril 18, 2014 - 8:34 am

ronald ragen, forgive me if I don't do the sympathy thing here, better the driver than those workers. Stop acting like some sniveling savior and recognize the severity of this easily avoidable act. I have been at the forefront as a voice against this criminal practice. And no, I do not have any DUI's and my driving record is exemplary.

• JBApril 18, 2014 - 7:18 am

When they have DUI checkpoints many complain that they are a waste of time,resources and money. They violate people's rights I bet these workers don't think so, hope they get well soon.

• mescApril 18, 2014 - 7:25 pm

There should be no bail on a DUI involving injury to others. I hope the workers recover and heal quickly. I am thankful they are alive and wish them the best. Please everyone slow down, put the phone down, pay attention and do not drive impaired.

• CD BrooksApril 19, 2014 - 6:23 am

mesc, I'll take that! My aim is to make the penalty (finally) severe enough to stop the crime before it takes place. But I love the no bail for injury idea! :)

• RalphApril 18, 2014 - 9:40 pm

• mMay 07, 2014 - 11:26 pm

This accident happened about 5 min before I left work as I drove buy fire trucks were just getting there. I saw that car from above on the road and I could have sworn that someone would of passed away. I am so glad to see that everyone is alive.