Friday, April 18, 2014

Christmas day burn ban called

From page A4 | December 25, 2013 | 38 Comments

FAIRFIELD — Wood burning in Bay Area fireplaces will be prohibited on Christmas Day.

A high pressure system is keeping smoke close to the ground. As a result, the Bay Area Air Quality Management District has issued a third consecutive Winter Spare the Air alert.

“Please respect everyone’s health this holiday by observing the Winter Spare the Air Alert . . . (by) not burning wood in your fireplace,” said Jack Broadbent, executive officer of the district, in a press release. “We don’t want anyone to spend their holiday in the emergency room because they are unable to breathe. ”

Residents in southern Solano County – including Fairfield, Suisun City, Vallejo and Benicia – who burn wood in a fireplace on Wednesday will face getting a fine.

It is illegal for Bay Area residents and businesses to use their fireplaces, wood stoves, pellet stoves, outdoor fire pits or any other wood-burning devices during a Winter Spare the Air alert. Homes without permanently installed heating, where wood stoves or fireplaces are the only source of heat, are exempt.

First-time violators face a $100 fine or must take a class to learn about the hazards of wood smoke pollution. Second-time violators face a $500 ticket, with the amount rising for subsequent offenses.

The mandatory alerts do not affect the north county, including Vacaville, Rio Vista and Dixon. This area is in the Yolo-Solano Air Quality Management District.

Winter Spare the Air season for the Bay Area Air Quality Management District runs until Feb. 28. Residents can find out if an alert is in place using the following methods:

• On the Air District websites at www.baaqmd.gov or www.sparetheair.org
  • By calling 877-466-2876 . Complaints can also be filed at this number.
  • By signing up for AirAlerts at www.sparetheair.org or phone alerts at 800-430-1515
  • Using the Spare the Air iPhone and Android Apps

Reach Barry Eberling at 427-6929 or beberling@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/beberlingdr.

Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling has been a reporter with the Daily Republic since 1987. He covers Solano County government, transportation, growth and the environment. He received his bachelors of art degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara and his masters degree in journalism from the University of California, Berkeley.

• The MisterDecember 25, 2013 - 7:12 am

This is how Big Brother gives you a warm embrace. Enjoy the tyranny.

• JazzAzzDecember 25, 2013 - 7:14 am

Merry CHRISTmas to all, except for the Grinches at the Air Resource Board. Won't stop me from lighting up later though, not on Christmas, you BETCHA. I'd be willing to bet there will be the nice aroma of MANY wood fires going today. And these A__Holes won't see ONE PENNY from me, and I hope NONE of YOU. Enjoy your day with your families as well as the nice warmth and glow from your fireplaces!!!!!!

• Rick Wood http://sparetheair.org/Stay-Informed/Particulate-Matter.aspxDecember 25, 2013 - 10:08 am

No one in your family has asthma, I assume. I'm sorry your conspiracy theory hasn't been disproven. You're 2 for 2 on the four days you predicted there would be No Burn days. We still have New Years Eve and New Years Day to go. You GUARANTEED those would be No Burn days too, right?

• Wilfred ScullyDecember 25, 2013 - 7:52 am

This is the stereotypical model of a socialist state; rules and regulations to curb individual freedom and the persuit of happiness for"the common good, based upon politically motivated beliefs that have no basis in fact. There will be rats out there today, fellow burners, useful idiots who will turn you in to the government. Be watchful, and enjoy the burn

• JazzAzzDecember 25, 2013 - 9:12 am

Was just outback picking up my Doggie's Christmas gifts to me>>LOL>>and I enjoyed the sweet smell of someone's fireplace going. Looking over at the Cordelia hills, I can once again tell you that the SOB Air Resource people are (@#$%^&*) LIARS, merely just that morning mist over those hills, but looks to be a BEAUTIFUL clear day after the morning mist. Merry CHRISTmas to you all, and enjoy your fireplaces ALL day if YOU choose!!!!!!! Remember, if fined, PAY NOT ONE RED CENT!!!!!

• I'm Burnin' For You.....December 25, 2013 - 9:44 am

• Bob Seger StrutDecember 25, 2013 - 9:51 am

• Fire down BelowDecember 25, 2013 - 9:54 am

• George Strait-A Fire I Can't Put Out w LyricsDecember 25, 2013 - 10:54 am

• Highly recommended Darling....Google Punting in BathDecember 25, 2013 - 10:59 am

• 4 U SKelvis...........U 2 Eberling!December 25, 2013 - 11:03 am

• Rick WoodDecember 25, 2013 - 10:03 am

You KNOW not all air pollution is visible, don't you? And there is a haze from where I sit in downtown Fairfield.

• Bonfire of the VanitiesDecember 25, 2013 - 3:18 pm

• Rufus Thomas - Walking the dog (1963)December 25, 2013 - 4:10 pm

• Rick WoodDecember 25, 2013 - 10:01 am

According to the BAAQD web site, today the Air Quality Index for our East Bay region is projected at 119, which means unhealthy for sensitive populations. I believe it's the worst day we've had over the past two weeks of many No Burn days. The driving factor this time of year is winter inversion that traps particulate matter. "PM2.5," or "particulate matter less than 2.5 microns in diameter" is the main concern because that small size can become lodged deeply in the lungs. About 1/3 of the PM2.5 in our area can come from wood stove and fireplace fires. That's why they are banned on such days. Vehicle exhaust is also a major contributor, but naturally that's harder to restrict, so isn't so much. I understand from these comments that there are onerous programs for diesel engines--which generally means commercial trucking--and that's a problem for business that depend on that kind of commerce. I don't know much about that. But for my part, I'll hold off on the fireplace fires on No Burn days.

• CD BrooksDecember 25, 2013 - 10:24 am

Good morning everybody and Merry Christmas! Rick, I don't have a fireplace, took it out years ago because we saw this coming. Having said that, if the BAAQD really wanted to get after folks, they should indeed cite small gas-powered equipment users but they won't because many of those folks are gardeners making a living. And if it is so critical, "non-essential" vehicles should not be out cruising around either! So instead, they pick on easy prey, the poor slob trying to stay warm in their own home. I think just like CARB, these people are criminal. If it is really that bad for a majority of folks (I do not believe for a second it is) then PGE and the state should kick in to help with energy costs during these days. What's the likelihood of that happening? Zero. So I say burn away folks!

• 4 U CD.....Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings "100 Days, 100 Nights"December 25, 2013 - 4:05 pm

• Rick WoodDecember 26, 2013 - 12:15 am

Everyone knows if you rely on a wood fire to heat your home you are exempt from the requirement, right? And everyone knows that a fireplace doesn't actually heat a home because it exhausts heated air up the chimney? Specially designed wood stoves or fireplaces are needed to actually save on house heat. Most of us in the city who have fireplaces use them for home décor, not practical heating. I haven't seen such outrage since the last water fluoridation proposals.

• JazzAzzDecember 26, 2013 - 7:57 am

Rick>>>Most of us know that most of a fireplace's heat goes up the chimney, but when I light up one of those SIX Lb. Duraflame's, that puppy actually heats up our family room quite nicely. And if we are all sitting in there, us and our guests like during Christmas, then it is real enjoyable. I once read awhile back that the makers of Duraflame was going to fight the Air Resources board since they are such a clean burn type of log, but that effort appears to have died on the vine. Hence once it is dark enough, it is LIGHT OFF time here, since I have gone out front looking at my chimney from all directions, and also from the rear yard, and one can see NADA. So to the Air resources board, I still and forever more will say>>>>KISS THIS. Never EVER collecting one red cent from MOI, EVER!!!!!!!!!!

• Rick WoodDecember 26, 2013 - 8:31 am

Modern wood stoves have catalytic converters on them, which I believe combusts at least some of the unburnt particulate matter in the smoke. I don't know if that would solve the problem for wood. If the restriction is based on PM2.5 and you know a Duraflame log or equivalent doesn't produce that kind of discharge, then I would agree with "burn away." You are technically in violation, but I'm not that rigid and I doubt the BAAQMB is either. This is about public health to me, not slavish adherence to rules.

• JazzAzzDecember 26, 2013 - 8:55 am

By the way Rick, wood stove manufacturers have been trying to get the Air Board to accept those, catalytic converters stoves, according to the lady I spoke to at the stove, fireplace shop on Rockville Road to no avail so far, as Duraflame has not been able too. They are a bunch rigid MoFos. So I say, BURN BABY BURN. Well offline time. Stuff to do, Bye. And by the way, Dr. Bill Wattenburg is one of THE most scientific scientists out there. Check out his credentials on Google, U.C. Berkeley professor in his past, Rad Lab involvement, etc. etc. and he HATES the Air Board with a passion.

• Rick WoodDecember 26, 2013 - 8:46 am

JA: I agree with you about the attraction of a fireplace fire for a party or just sitting there with your feet up, regardless if it's efficient heating. People congregate around a fire. If we don't have one going for a winter party, everybody hangs out in the kitchen! But that's what I mean by a fire being décor. If I have to balance that with public health, I fall on the side of public health and doing my small part. Evidently you don't. It's like voting. One person's vote probably is irrelevant, but it too many decide therefore voting is irrational and don't do it, we have a problem with smart people like that not voting. It's a matter of attitude, maturity, and care about the system and others. I comply with no-burn days because, unlike you (and Dr. Bill, I suppose), I believe the BAAQMD bases their no-burn decisions on science, and it's far from inconvenient for me to comply as part of the price I pay for living in this great place. It's not that big a deal either way though. What surprises me is how people go all anti-government/conspiracy theory on this issue when there are so many other places where government actually deserves and should get criticism, such as the NSA snooping on citizens without probable cause.

• CD BrooksDecember 26, 2013 - 9:22 am

Rick, you have been involved with environmental issues your whole career primarily water -related. I can easily understand your support for this board's decisions. I just happen to believe they have allowed their power to consume them and take the issue too far. If what Mr. Smith said is true, then we have another set of problems. People with very large salaries and egos to boot, sitting around doing nothing but making up bogus numbers waiting for citizens to rat out their neighbors for easy money. Lovely.

• ?December 25, 2013 - 10:41 am

rlw's Grey matter has probably atrophied to less than 2.5 microns in diameter.....just sayin'....such things happen when one does not mind one's own business.

• "Footprints in our Hearts"December 25, 2013 - 10:48 am

• Mr. SmithDecember 25, 2013 - 12:14 pm

I forget exactly which news source I read the other day, but the thing that sticks in my mind is the explanation by an air quality official who was quoted in the article. To paraphrase: 'We are hoping the neighbors of those who burn wood on no-burn days will call in and report their neighbors for burning. Then an agent will come out and take a photo of the offender's chimney and address so that we can mail them a citation and notice of the fine.' Folks that's just plain CREEPY! Where is this heading?

• Blanca BotwinDecember 25, 2013 - 5:58 pm

Oh good Lord, that is creepy as all get out! I believe 110% these "no burn days" should be called Line PG&E' Pockets Days, and it's a bunch of crap. I live in Suisun, and I've walked into my backyard on no burn days and smelled chimney smoke and saw people using their fireplaces, and came in the house HAPPY about it. For the person that mentioned Asthma, I have asthma, and I still think people should be able to use their fireplaces. My couch is blocking mine, or I'd light a fire just because I'm not supposed to.

• JazzAzzDecember 26, 2013 - 8:10 am

And thank-you for that, even though you have asthma :-). I go out back also and walk my doggie around here, and love the smell of a wood fire going, especially on their so called, "NO BURN DAYS." Let's all give the Air board that middle fickle finger of fate. Then if you receive a citation, send it back, with KISS THIS, on its' back!!!!!! Google their site, go to CONTACT US, and tell them off like a sailor could, telling them what you really think of their policies. Why the local politicians around here allowed us to be included in the immediate Bay Areas problems is beyond me. Just because areas like Fremont or San Jose may be fogged in with unclean air shouldn't matter here, with our light to moderately breezes, I can stand in my rear yard, and clearly see the hills by Cordelia, Vacaville, or Mt. Diablo. So no matter what, I AM NOT BUYING into it!!!!!!!! Pollution that can't be seen, yeah right! Blame all the vehicle traffic going up and down I-80. KISS THIS!!!!!!

• JazzAzzDecember 26, 2013 - 8:13 am

By the way, I challenge ANY AND ALL local politicians who have the balls and or guts to tell the Air Resource board, that we have had enough, and PULL OUT of their sphere of influence. No guts I'll bet, you gutless bow down wonders. Remember all this, people, come election time!!!!!!

• JazzAzzDecember 26, 2013 - 8:01 am

They tried the same stuff during Nazi Germany, and the Soviet regime days. YES very creepy. But if I was ever cited, not knowing what gives them the authority or how they could ever collect, I would just write on the back of the citation to KISS THIS, sending it back to them!!!!!!!

• rlw895December 26, 2013 - 8:57 am

Why is that creepy? It's a hope, not a requirement. All it says is the BAAQMD relies mostly on voluntary compliance and doesn't go around doing a lot of inspecting. If you have an obnoxious neighbor with a barking dog out all night, don't you eventually call the police?

• Dear Blog Readers a Xmas Preszi 4 U alll ...Brit Comedy..The Thin Blue LineDecember 25, 2013 - 1:10 pm

• NFSD Am I Blue For YouDecember 25, 2013 - 9:17 pm

• JBDragonDecember 25, 2013 - 9:49 pm

If I had a fireplace, I'd light up!!! I'm sure PG&E would like a bunch more of them B.S. No burn control your life day!!!

• Mr. SmithDecember 26, 2013 - 9:43 am

RLW: I think it is the context, or setting in which this scenario is playing itself out that makes it creepy. The government asking neighbors to report their neighbors for lighting a fire in their own fireplace. CREEPY. Turning in a drunk driver, or reporting a continouosly barking dog--not so much.

• Highly reccomend this BookDecember 26, 2013 - 9:58 am

The Bridge at Andau: The Compelling True Story of a Brave, Embattled People by James A. Michener (Sep 12, 1985) .....Life in Hungary, in a police state, where children are encouraged to rat out their parents and no one can speak the truth....good info about the Hungarian attempt in 1956 to get rid of their Communist overlords.

• CD BrooksDecember 26, 2013 - 10:54 am

Mr. Smith, I completely agree!

• rlw895December 26, 2013 - 8:46 pm

Mr.S: It all goes back to how you view the nature of the offense. No one is punished for NOT reporting someone. If they were, THAT would be creepy. We're a long way from "Fahrenheit 451." Without inspectors, the BAAQMD is practically powerless to enforce against residents and I assume they won't unless they get complaints.

‘Same Time, Next Year’ opens in Benicia

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Man to stand trial in rural Vacaville killing

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A1, 11 Comments | Gallery

‘We Got Next’ Comedy Tour stops at Dimitri’s

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Puppies to take part in Vallejo dog show

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Afisivalu announces run for Fairfield council

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Tonnesen seeks Fairfield City Council seat

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Family matriarch celebrates 100th birthday

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Barbecue brings big crowd, progress to Parkway Gardens

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3, 16 Comments | Gallery

Assist-A-Grad wraps up interviews

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Napa County bridge to close for work

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4

Town hall on crime set in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4, 8 Comments

Crash shuts I-80 offramp to Highway 12

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5, 4 Comments | Gallery

Suisun City police log: April 16, 2014

Fairfield police log: April 16, 2014

Weather for April 18, 2014

Who gained, and what, at Ukraine talks

Ukrainian unity on display with peaceful rallies

Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions – for now

Putin’s choice of words shed light on Ukraine

Salmon released in California river restoration

Jury convicts husband in Iraqi woman’s death

1 dead, 1 injured in California boating accident

BART fined $210,000 for worker deaths

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds

Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet

California health care sign-ups exceed projections

Obama: 8 million signed up for health care

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 3 Comments

Dirty creek, old purse solve four-decade mystery

Man said to be homesick for prison gets 3 1/2 years

Chelsea Clinton expecting first child this fall

Holder: Hate crimes ‘an affront to who we are’

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 4 Comments

Nigeria: Fate of 115 abducted girls unknown

Spate of Mideast virus infections raises concerns

Samples collected from oil slick not from plane

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

S. Sudan: 12 die after mob attacks UN base

Peru volcano prompts evacuation of 4,000

Tiny power plants hold promise for nuclear energy

Confused, chaotic scene described on sinking ferry

Food brings back fond memories

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Internationally out of touch

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 4 Comments

Watch out for grandson scam

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 15 Comments

Why so much spent to find a plane?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Editorial Cartoon for April 18, 2014

Community Calendar: April 18, 2014

Today in History for April 18, 2014

My husband tells our sons that they don’t need to listen to me

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B13

Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87

Entertainment calendar April 18, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

Dodgers get to Bumgarner early for win over Giants

Badminton update: Rodriguez, Armijo head toward post season

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B7 | Gallery

MEL boys roll to easy win over SCAC

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Short-handed SCAC girls ‘gut out’ all-star win over MEL

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1

Miguel Angel Jimenez set for Champions Tour debut

Sponsorship woes put Swan Racing future in doubt

Ex-quarterback McNabb spends day in Arizona jail

Season wrapup: Sacramento Kings’ ‘new era’ off to slow start

Clippers-Warriors series billed as must-see TV

Kuchar builds on Masters momentum, shares Heritage lead

War of words in Northwestern-athletes’ union fight

Shumenov gets big chance in ring against ageless Hopkins

Montreal team sign Chad Johnson to 2-year contract

Seattle 1B Choi banned 50 games for positive test

Dodgers’ Puig focuses on baseball despite issues

Stanford takes lead at LPGA LOTTE tournament

Boston Marathon makes room for more runners

Vanden clinches at least share of SCAC boys tennis title

Toyota Camry gets a top-to-bottom makeover

By The Associated Press | From Page: C1

Hot models at this year’s New York Auto Show

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Judge won’t order recalled GM cars to be parked

Cyber cops: Target hackers may take years to find

Walmart jumps into the money transfer biz, loudly

Zits