Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Bicyclists to be out in force Thursday

From page A3 | May 07, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — Bike to Work Day returns to the Bay Area on Thursday.

The occasion is the 20th annual Bike to Work Day. The goal is to get people to give biking a try as a way to commute to the job.

To help bikers out, the event sets up “energizer stations” throughout the Bay Area. These are locations where bikers can stop for free refreshments and to register to win prizes.

Fairfield will have stations from 6:30 to 8:30 a.m. at the Linear Park Trail east of Pennsylvania Avenue, from 7 to 9 a.m. at the Solano County Government Center at 675 Texas St., from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Ray’s Cycle at 1121 Texas St., from 7 to 8 a.m. at Armijo High School, from 3 to 6 p.m. at Chadbourne Road and Busch Drive and from 8 to 11 a.m. at Solano Community College, Building 400.

Suisun City will have a station from 6 to 8:30 a.m. at the train station, 177 Main St.

Travis Air Force Base will have a station from 7 to 9 a.m. at the Family Support Center, 351 Travis Blvd.

Vacaville will have stations from 6 to 8:30 a.m. at the Vacaville Transportation Center at 1501 Allison Drive, from 7 to 9 a.m. at VacaValley Parkway and from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Ray’s Cycle at 400 Main St.

The event is sponsored by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, Kaiser Permanente and 511 traveler information service. Go to www.commuterinfo.net for more information.

Reach Barry Eberling at 427-6929 or beberling@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/beberlingdr.

Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling has been a reporter with the Daily Republic since 1987. He covers Solano County government, transportation, growth and the environment. He received his bachelors of art degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara and his masters degree in journalism from the University of California, Berkeley.

• CD BrooksMay 07, 2014 - 7:04 am

This is a great opportunity for people to get out and ride. I'd love to see more doing so but the downside is their abuse of the privilege. Be safe and alert, you’re on your own out there!

• BeeboMay 07, 2014 - 8:28 am

I drive around the area 75%, the rest is biking. Driving is a privelage, biking is...well... more of a right than a privelage (at least until we require DMV licencenses for biking). I detect too much passive-aggressive behavior from motorists when I am biking. There are too many angry people who are willing to put bicyclists in harms way because of their prejudices and anger. Chill out, and realize that there is the same precentage of jerk bicyclists as there are motorists. Once you obey all traffic laws in your car, you can be equally critical of us heathens with pedals. Oh, and if it makes you feel bad-arse by whizzing-by right next to us at high speed, you go. Guess you showed us.

• CD BrooksMay 07, 2014 - 9:00 am

Beebo clearly you're not aware of my stance on poor driving. But I disagree, there are FAR more jerks behind the wheel! I am not "that guy" when it comes to taunting bicyclists. I am the guy that obeys the rules and gives people the necessary safety barrier. When you as a rider obey the laws and I doubt you observe but presume you know them, then you can talk about everyone else.

• BeeboMay 07, 2014 - 11:07 am

CD - that wasn't supposed to be aimed at you, though I did reference the "privelage" part. You do not strike me as someone who has an issue with bicyclists. Sorry about the confusion.

• CD BrooksMay 07, 2014 - 12:02 pm

Beebo, no worries in fact I should probably be the one to apologize. The ignorance of traffic both the practice and the laws are a passionate cause for me and I do tend to go on about them.

• Beebo (a.k.a) SupercycleMay 07, 2014 - 12:17 pm

Also, CD, I do understand the rules. I am one of the minority who checks-out the DMV handbook every couple of years, or so. That being said, I will break some rules while on my bike if it makes me safer (like riding on a sidewalk in a high traffic area where the bike lane is non-existant or blocked by whatever). Also (admittedly) I will not completely stop at a four way stop if there are no cars around, though I slow to the speed that many cars roll through (cops excepted - they don't slow down before blowing the stop sign). I have managed to stay alive for the time being, and I hope that doesn't change due to some bicycle-hatin' maniac.

• Brenda VMay 07, 2014 - 9:53 pm

I started riding my bike from Amtrak to my office in Oakland last year as a result of the BART strike....best thing ever to be able to take my bike on Amtrak then ride to my office a little more than a mile away. I find myself enjoying the ride especially since in Oakland, motorists are a bit more kinder to cyclists than in Fairfield. I would love to ride to Amtrak from Green Valley, but believe Fairfield motorists may leave me to dead if they bump me or follow the 3 feet rule.

Labor Day not a holiday for everyone

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 4 Comments | Gallery

Labor Day breakfast introduces union-backed candidates

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Pool provides last dose of summer fun in the sun

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3 | Gallery

SafeQuest schedules peer counseling training course

Fairfield police log: Aug. 31, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 31, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 30, 2014

Fairfield police log: Aug. 30, 2014

VP Biden says workers deserve ‘fair share’

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 6 Comments | Gallery

Obama: ‘Revving’ economy calls for higher wages

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 6 Comments | Gallery

Senegal monitors contacts of 1st Ebola patient

San Francisco to be 1st to test urban farming law

By The Associated Press | From Page:

GOP challenger tries novel tactics against Brown

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

US eating habits improve a bit – except among poor

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 5 Comments | Gallery

No gray area: Beliefs shape views of Brown killing

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment | Gallery

Americans detained in North Korea call for US help

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Iraqi prime minister pledges to root out militants

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Poland’s PM: Ukraine’s war must be stopped now

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Pro-Russian rebels lower demands in peace talks

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 2 Comments | Gallery

US helicopter crashes in Gulf of Aden; all rescued

Community Calendar: Sept. 2, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page:

Inquiries begin into nude celebrity photo leaks

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment | Gallery

‘Guardians’ tops Labor Day, summer box office

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

By Daily Republic Syndicated Content | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Kirk rallies to win the Deutsche Bank

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Rockies top Giants after losing end of suspended game

Dunn homers in 1st at-bat as A’s top Mariners

Right guard Boone passes physical, rejoins 49ers

Raiders name rookie Derek Carr as starting QB

Armijo beats Vanden 2-0 to claim All-City boys soccer title

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Armed with new deal, Chiefs’ Smith looks forward

Column: Stewart’s Chase status doesn’t matter

Raiders ink CB Dowling, 9 others to practice squad

Serena Williams, Djokovic roll to US Open quarters

Houston Astros fire manager Bo Porter

Hamels, 3 Phillies relievers no-hit Braves

Markets drift as Wall Street has day off

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Austerity debate flares as Europe recovery fades

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Civil disobedience expected in fast-food pay fight

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 8 Comments | Gallery