American Red Cross honors locals who made a difference
FAIRFIELD — A breakfast Friday morning will honor several recipients who have made a difference in Solano County.
The American Red Cross Bay Area Chapter will honor the 2013 Solano County Heroes awards from 7:30 to 10 a.m. at the NorthBay Healthcare Conference Center, 4500 Business Center Drive.
The event is sponsored by Kaiser Permanente.
Those honored include:
- Community Service Hero, Organization: Operation THUGS, which provides community service help in a wide variety of ways to a wide variety of demographics.
- Community Service Hero, Individual: Sandra Vegas for established Foster Greatness, a nonprofit ministry that serves as a direct resource for foster care children and parents.
- Act of Kindness & Philanthropy Heroes, Individual: Marcia Gordon and Susan Turner, volunteer advocates for the Family Finding and Engagement program, which helps locate family members of children in foster care.
- Act of Kindness & Philanthropy Hero, Organization: The Ellen Meadows Prosthetic Hand Foundation, which partnered with Ernie and Marj Meadows to develop a low-cost, durable and functional prosthetic hand. More than 3,500 prosthetic hands have been distributed around the world.
- Acts of Courage Hero: Perry Hookey, who attempted to revive a truck driver in big-rig accident. The driver was pulled from the cab of the truck moments before it exploded.
- Lifesaving Hero: Airman 1st Class Michael Brown Jr. and Master Sgt. Kristin Feola. Brown coordinated a four-person team to evacuate an injured person from the El Dorado National Forest. Feola assisted in getting a fellow airman quick help when he exhibited a medical need during an event.
- Public Safety Hero: Detective Nathan Benevides and Deputies Brian Bero and Jason Speakman. Benevides and the Vacaville Police Department’s Investigative Service Section found the suspects connected with a downtown Vacaville jewelry store robbery. Benevides also helped create a plan to increase the number of surveillance cameras in the downtown business district. Bero and Speakman, on-duty deputies from the Solano County Sheriff’s Office, stopped a vehicle as it swerved on a Fairfield roadway after the driver fell unconscious.
Reach Susan Winlow at 427-6955 or email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/swinlowdr.