Solano County

3 die in I-680 crash; 2 from Vacaville

By From page A9 | August 27, 2014

FAIRFIELD — Two Vacaville residents and a Bay Point man were killed Tuesday in a solo-vehicle crash at the Lake Herman Road off-ramp on northbound Interstate 680 in Benicia that occurred after their vehicle was involved in a minor accident with another vehicle, according to the California Highway Patrol.

It was initially reported shortly after 3:30 p.m. as a two-car crash on northbound I-680.

The two cars, a Kia Spectra and an Acura, initially were involved in a minor fender-bender and then drove to the off-ramp to check their damage.

The Kia, driven by a 76-year-old Vacaville man, drifted off the road and hit a drainage canal wall before going airborne and then coming to a stop. Arriving firefighters found the driver, his 76-year-old wife and a 78-year-old Bay Point man, unconscious.

All three died at the scene, according to the CHP. Their names were not released.

The crash closed the off-ramp for several hours and started a small grass fire in the center divider, which was quickly put out. The ramp reopened at approximately 6:20 p.m.

Reach Ian Thompson at 427-6976 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ithompsondr.

Ian Thompson

Ian Thompson

Ian Thompson has worked for the Daily Republic longer than he cares to remember. A native of Oregon and a graduate of the University of Oregon, he pines for the motherland still. He covers Vacaville and Travis Air Force Base for the Daily Republic. He is an avid military history buff, wargamer and loves the great outdoors.

• BeeboAugust 27, 2014 - 8:07 am

Maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet, but I am confused here.

• CD BrooksAugust 27, 2014 - 8:35 am

Beebo, it seems we are getting a lot of stories like this with little information. I'm going to guess that in this case, the folks had the initial accident, got out and checked the damage then piled back in and while exiting, somehow lost control. But they didn't buckle up thus the resulting tragedy. The driver might have had a medical problem and/or just became disoriented?

• P. OwenAugust 27, 2014 - 10:38 am

CD Brooks, I happen to know the victims that passed away in that accident. They ALL had their seat belts on according to the CHP, the driver of the Kia was trying to get off the road and somehow lost control the car went airborne then landed in the canal. It is a very sad day for their ENTIRE family. Assumptions by people in cases like this can be very upsetting, so if anyone else feels the need for negative comments, please keep them to yourselves and let family of the victims grieve in peace.

• CD BrooksAugust 27, 2014 - 10:40 am

P Owen, mine was not a negative comment, simply an observation since there wasn't any other information. Condolences to family and friends.

• PAugust 27, 2014 - 10:50 am

CD Brooks, you are right it wasn't negative. I suppose that was me warning others about negative comments. Sometimes articles get such hurtful and negative comments on them. Thank you for your condolences.

• LilAugust 27, 2014 - 10:55 am

The Vallejo Tribune has a little bit more information. According to them, the Kia clipped the Acura and they were both exiting the freeway on the Lake Herman offramp when the Kia driver lost control of the car and went into the ditch. I take that route at least once or twice a week. People on 680 drive crazy. I have seen tons of near misses. Not blaming either driver because I don't know who caused the initial clipping but there are usually a lot of people in and out of lanes.

• JenaAugust 27, 2014 - 4:23 pm

I am so sorry for the families and friends of those who lost their lives yesterday. I was directly in front of the accident when it happened. In my rear view mirror I saw the car behind me spin out. When it came back around the half of the front of the car was gone. Then I thought heard more cars crashing into it, but I couldn't see them because they were behind the first car. There were no cars in the fast lane at the time and place the accident occurred. I was planning to pull off at the next exit to call 911. Amazingly there were already police officers there reopening the Lake Herman Rd. on ramp. I was confused at why they didn't see the crash at first, but as I looked back from the exit, I saw that there was a little bit of a hill and the crash ended on the top, backside of the hill from the exit. Once the police officers saw me pull over and start getting out of the car they saw the crash and were at the scene within 30 seconds. The crash I saw happened at around 6:20pm and not 3:30pm, unless there were 2 accidents in the same place on the same day. Wow! Now that I think of it, the one I saw must have been separate crash and that is why the police officer's were reopening the Lake Herman Rd. exit at that time. Those poor police officers. I hope no one was hurt in the second crash.

• JenaAugust 27, 2014 - 4:34 pm

I just read the report from The Vallejo Tribune, and now I know it was a separate accident that I saw. Again, I am so sorry for the victims and their families and everyone involved. I hope that everyone else involved in both crashes are/will be okay physically and emotionally.

• sadAugust 27, 2014 - 5:29 pm

A lot of elderly shouldn't be behind the wheel for their own sake. They aren't as sharp as the ones that are not elderly.

• CD BrooksAugust 27, 2014 - 8:00 pm

sad, there are plenty of much younger people driving every day that put others at risk with their stupidity. That would include their own children unfortunate enough to have no choice. Don't get after the elderly, many drive just fine.