Saturday, October 25, 2014

1 dead, 1 injured in solo rollover I-80 crash

From page A7 | April 23, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — One person died after a solo rollover vehicle crash this weekend on eastbound Interstate 80.

The crash occurred about 11:10 p.m. Saturday near the American Canyon exit when a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo with two occupants lost control and veered off  the roadway, said Sgt. Mike Lehman of the California Highway Patrol.

The vehicle rolled several times and came to rest on McGary Road.

The driver, Amber Gomes, 30, of Isleton, suffered moderate injuries and was taken to NorthBay Medical Center. The passenger, Roman Barrozo, 33, whose city of residence was unknown, was ejected, suffered major injuries and was transported to Kaiser Permanente Vacaville Medical Center.

Barrozo died from his injuries.

CHP spokesman Officer Chris Parker said Gomes was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence causing injury, manslaughter, driving on a suspended license and being under the influence of cocaine.

Lehman said the vehicle’s occupants were not wearing seat belts.

The crash remains under investigation.

Reach Susan Winlow at 427-6955 or swinlow@dailyrepublic.net. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/swinlowdr.

• sherrie whitneyApril 22, 2014 - 10:30 am

That was our brocomther.. You guys should keep your negativity to yourself! We love you Roman!!

• Cecilia Renee BarrozoApril 22, 2014 - 11:06 pm

Roman regardless of what ppl say or any comment made about you, were the best big cousin I could ask for I love you very much there's nothing and no one that can take the man you were in out eyes and I promise you that if I ever come across someone that feels differently I stick up for you every time, you'd do it for me...I missed you and you were just a couple city's away and now I won't see you I love you big cousin rest in peace

• Renee PageApril 22, 2014 - 12:37 pm

I would like to respond to those of you who have commented on this heartbreaking event, so far. Yes, seat belts were not worn. Possibly, drugs or alcohol were involved. No, this is not 'thinning of the herd'. .The young man who passed away was a-- passenger--in the vehicle that rolled over. He was a son, a brother, an uncle and a father. In particular, he is the father of my grandchildren. He was a person with a good heart. While you may have difficulty feeling sorrow, believe me when I say that those of us who love him feel every bit of that sorrow. Though I believe that all are entitled to their opinions, I do ask that no more negative, hurtful comments are left here. His children and family do not need any further heartache.

• JulieApril 22, 2014 - 12:48 pm

♥ Thank you. I ask the same - please keep any negativity to yourself. Unfortunately, my son, Roman's son, already read those super insensitive posts =( it is sad that so many human beings lack compassion for one's life.

• StephanieApril 22, 2014 - 1:02 pm

Rip Roman you will always be loved and missed as your family grieves I pray we can all stand together through this horrible time I may not of known you that well but you were family none the less and to anyone with negativity go spread it somewhere else because his family and friends don't need this love you Roman and I'm praying for peace and justice for your family and wonderful children

• StevenApril 22, 2014 - 1:19 pm

Rip Roman! He was a great friend of mine! So any of you that have nothing better to do the leave negative comments i would love to meet you in person and see how tough you guys are when you arent at a computer screen!

• DebraApril 22, 2014 - 5:06 pm

Where are the apologies that this family deserves?

• JazzAzzApril 22, 2014 - 6:57 pm

Well I have to admit that my earlier comment about, "Thinning the Herd," was a bit harsh. So I apologize for THAT. But I must say, going to High School and driver training back in the 60s, before sets belts were mandatory (Yes there was a time when cars did not come with them), we debated about the importance of having them in class, and many of us saw the wisdom of wearing them. And while driving across country while in the Navy, my good childhood pal, driving my 65 VW Karman Ghia, flipped it over not once, but TWICE at highway speed, crushing the top in on us and totaling my car. The only thing that saved both our lives (Except for a few scars I bear from flying glass) was that we had seat belts on. Everyone that pulled over behind us, thought that we were going to be dead. One woman said, "My God, he's still walking," as I crawled out of my door. So I can not emphasize enough how important seat belts are, and there is no excuse for not wearing them. But I do apologize for seeming uncaring.

• CD BrooksApril 22, 2014 - 5:29 pm

Well! It came back...

• KenApril 22, 2014 - 7:43 pm

RIP old friend

• GRIPPAApril 22, 2014 - 7:56 pm

1LOVE ROMAN G-MONEY!

• BApril 22, 2014 - 1:23 pm

Thats a really terrible thing to say. Im sure you have never made a mistake similar to theirs, right?

• albertApril 22, 2014 - 1:35 pm

It disappoint s me that your first response to this is a negative one the fact that some one lost they're life is never good just like your comments you posted you don't even have the heart to say sorry for your loss NO TYPE OF SORROW (what happens if it was one of your loved ones and someone posted stuff like you did about your lost would u care how they past away) to his family friends ESPECIALLY THE KIDS he was a special guy to his KIDS FAMILY FRIENDS COWORKERS soooo to every one that had nothing good to say no matter how God wanted any friend Coworker family member cousin brother mom or dad to come back home be a MATURE ADULT AND SHOW LOVE IF NOT KEEP YOUR pessimistic comments to your self Ty

• smwieserApril 22, 2014 - 7:44 pm

To the families of the terrible accident very sorry for your loss. I am sorry people are inadequate in expressing proper manners.

• Arvel TurnerApril 22, 2014 - 7:54 pm

I don't care who says what about the death of my son, just realize he is someones son, brother , a father, etc. We all loved him, and always will. Love you Roman

• GRIPPAApril 22, 2014 - 8:08 pm

HE WAS A REAL FRIEND OF MINE, KNEW HIM FOR YEARS! LOVE U BRA, U WILL BE MISSED & NOT FORGOT! HE WOULD HAVE GIVEN HIS LAST IF IN NEED! U DON'T FIND FRIENDS LIK ROMAN! HARD WORKING MAN, GO ALL OUT FOR HIS FAMILY! WORK AT LIPSEY'S FOR YEARS! ON MY WAY TO THE BLOCK & BURN IT DOWN FOR U! TO ALL THAT HAS SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO SAY, I'M AT LIPSEY'S COME SEE ME! LOVE U MOM'S & SIS & LIL ROMAN!

• Teri SugaiApril 22, 2014 - 11:58 pm

No matter what the circumstance, the injured woman and deceased man are someone's family, someone's friend. It's easy for people in glass houses to throw stones. My heartfelt condolences to those who have lost a father, brother, son, friend. May he walk peacefully in the next world and always know that he is loved.

• YUNG CELLOApril 23, 2014 - 12:38 am

Damn roman I can't believe Ur gone bruh this ain't cool man its not the same anymore without u here REST IN PEACE my friend I love u big bruh

• JammerApril 23, 2014 - 6:23 am

Love you fam. See you soon enough. I'm taking this way too hard man.... I wish the last time I saw you, a few days ago. I could've hugged you.... Love you rome

• Renee PageApril 23, 2014 - 7:28 am

I would like to request prayers for the young woman who is driving the vehicle. No matter what the reason was for the wreck, this is something that she will carry in her heart, always.

• dreApril 23, 2014 - 12:19 pm

Rip 2 my boy Roman never b forgotten 2 many good memories 4 me 2 let go . Dre

• Angela SaldanaApril 23, 2014 - 12:44 pm

My condolences to the family. Did not know him but I know Mandy. Sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you all during this sad and difficult time. May God watch over all of you.

• T LOPEZApril 23, 2014 - 4:40 pm

RIP Rome...... don't care what anybody is saying about you on this page.... everybody knows that you were a solid ass person..... much love Rome

• JulieApril 23, 2014 - 8:56 pm

My children are at an extreme loss due to this tragic event. I cannot ever give Roman and Anya back their Dad...I can only surround them with loving, positive family and friends. So many have showed them sooooo much love and gave them the upmost respect ♥ I thank those who have positive comments about their Dad for them to read. I do not appreciate a few others - But it's a good life lesson for them to see how ugly some can really be, strangers or not. everyone affected by this has my deepest condolences

• Ricole (Big BOOB'S WIFE)April 24, 2014 - 7:00 am

Roman was a real cool guy and to have known him for the little time we had known felt like years! Damn Rome you will be missed ! You and my husband would be around each other daily, from bike riding, to yall turn ups! He's taking this soooo hard as well as the rest of guys who hung out with yall! Praying for your kids, family, and your Friends! This a tuff one! But we all must know he's in a mucg better place! #RestInPeaceROMAN

• MosesApril 24, 2014 - 11:16 am

R.I.P Roman i can just here your voice in my head saying thank you for what i tought you and i neverwill forget that but you tought me alot like being a good dad thru thick n thin. love you bro r.i.p. best condoinces to the family

• jamieApril 25, 2014 - 7:48 am

love you rome miss ya and only you can call me jaime

Cut-a-thon to help fight cancer, abuse

Fall Harvest Festival brings children back to school

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

No new murder trial for Calkins, judge rules

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Optimist Club brings youth together for Halloween golf

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

School board candidates forum set next week

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A4

Haunted hikes offered for brave souls at park

Staying active may prolong your life

By Scott Anderson | From Page: B8

Suisun City police log: Oct. 23, 2014

Suspect arrested in death of 2 California deputies

KC-10 from Travis lands in Houston, smoke in cockpit

Reagan astrologer, Joan Quigley, dies at 87

Jury says castrated sex offender should be freed

School gunman was Homecoming prince, students say

Lava creeps toward road on Hawaii’s Big Island

Remains belong to missing Virginia student

Dallas nurse receives thanks, hug from Obama

NY, NJ order Ebola quarantine for doctors, others

Gunman in Canada attack complained about mosque

Egypt declares emergency in northern Sinai

Militant group said to be using chlorine bombs

Putin accuses US of undermining global stability

Return Garamendi to Congress

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Editorial Cartoons: Oct. 25, 2014

SEIU shouldn’t own Board of Supervisors

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Vote, and make a difference

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Yes on Measure A

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Spering best choice for county supervisor

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Today in History: Oct. 25, 2014

Community Calendar: Oct. 25, 2014

Horoscopes: Oct. 25, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A7

My mother-in-law wants me to convert to Catholicism, but I don’t want to

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A7

Hello Kitty turning 40, and the birthday bash will be ‘supercute’

By Mcclatchy-Tribune News Service | From Page: B8

TLC cancels its ‘Honey Boo Boo’ series

P.D. James’ riff on Jane Austen comes to TV

Vintage rolls past Armijo, 55-8

By Mike Corpos | From Page: B1

Mustangs fall flat in rout by Wildcats

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1

Judge halts New Jersey’s sports betting plan

Joe Maddon exercises opt-out, won’t return to Rays

Attorney: NFL, Ravens not helping union in Rice probe

Jamie McMurray bests Chase drivers to win pole

SCC women’s soccer team falls to Mendocino 3-1

This date in sports history for Saturday, Oct. 25, 2014

US official: Auto safety agency under review

Ford profit falls in third quarter on truck costs

Procter & Gamble taking out its batteries

UPS expects double-digit surge in Dec shipments

US new-home sales close to flat in September

Melvin Tate