Sunday, April 26, 2015

1 dead, 1 injured in solo rollover I-80 crash

From page A7 | April 23, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — One person died after a solo rollover vehicle crash this weekend on eastbound Interstate 80.

The crash occurred about 11:10 p.m. Saturday near the American Canyon exit when a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo with two occupants lost control and veered off  the roadway, said Sgt. Mike Lehman of the California Highway Patrol.

The vehicle rolled several times and came to rest on McGary Road.

The driver, Amber Gomes, 30, of Isleton, suffered moderate injuries and was taken to NorthBay Medical Center. The passenger, Roman Barrozo, 33, whose city of residence was unknown, was ejected, suffered major injuries and was transported to Kaiser Permanente Vacaville Medical Center.

Barrozo died from his injuries.

CHP spokesman Officer Chris Parker said Gomes was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence causing injury, manslaughter, driving on a suspended license and being under the influence of cocaine.

Lehman said the vehicle’s occupants were not wearing seat belts.

The crash remains under investigation.

Reach Susan Winlow at 427-6955 or [email protected] Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/swinlowdr.

• sherrie whitneyApril 22, 2014 - 10:30 am

That was our brocomther.. You guys should keep your negativity to yourself! We love you Roman!!

• Cecilia Renee BarrozoApril 22, 2014 - 11:06 pm

Roman regardless of what ppl say or any comment made about you, were the best big cousin I could ask for I love you very much there's nothing and no one that can take the man you were in out eyes and I promise you that if I ever come across someone that feels differently I stick up for you every time, you'd do it for me...I missed you and you were just a couple city's away and now I won't see you I love you big cousin rest in peace

• Renee PageApril 22, 2014 - 12:37 pm

I would like to respond to those of you who have commented on this heartbreaking event, so far. Yes, seat belts were not worn. Possibly, drugs or alcohol were involved. No, this is not 'thinning of the herd'. .The young man who passed away was a-- passenger--in the vehicle that rolled over. He was a son, a brother, an uncle and a father. In particular, he is the father of my grandchildren. He was a person with a good heart. While you may have difficulty feeling sorrow, believe me when I say that those of us who love him feel every bit of that sorrow. Though I believe that all are entitled to their opinions, I do ask that no more negative, hurtful comments are left here. His children and family do not need any further heartache.

• JulieApril 22, 2014 - 12:48 pm

♥ Thank you. I ask the same - please keep any negativity to yourself. Unfortunately, my son, Roman's son, already read those super insensitive posts =( it is sad that so many human beings lack compassion for one's life.

• StephanieApril 22, 2014 - 1:02 pm

Rip Roman you will always be loved and missed as your family grieves I pray we can all stand together through this horrible time I may not of known you that well but you were family none the less and to anyone with negativity go spread it somewhere else because his family and friends don't need this love you Roman and I'm praying for peace and justice for your family and wonderful children

• StevenApril 22, 2014 - 1:19 pm

Rip Roman! He was a great friend of mine! So any of you that have nothing better to do the leave negative comments i would love to meet you in person and see how tough you guys are when you arent at a computer screen!

• DebraApril 22, 2014 - 5:06 pm

Where are the apologies that this family deserves?

• JazzAzzApril 22, 2014 - 6:57 pm

Well I have to admit that my earlier comment about, "Thinning the Herd," was a bit harsh. So I apologize for THAT. But I must say, going to High School and driver training back in the 60s, before sets belts were mandatory (Yes there was a time when cars did not come with them), we debated about the importance of having them in class, and many of us saw the wisdom of wearing them. And while driving across country while in the Navy, my good childhood pal, driving my 65 VW Karman Ghia, flipped it over not once, but TWICE at highway speed, crushing the top in on us and totaling my car. The only thing that saved both our lives (Except for a few scars I bear from flying glass) was that we had seat belts on. Everyone that pulled over behind us, thought that we were going to be dead. One woman said, "My God, he's still walking," as I crawled out of my door. So I can not emphasize enough how important seat belts are, and there is no excuse for not wearing them. But I do apologize for seeming uncaring.

• CD BrooksApril 22, 2014 - 5:29 pm

Well! It came back...

• KenApril 22, 2014 - 7:43 pm

RIP old friend

• GRIPPAApril 22, 2014 - 7:56 pm

1LOVE ROMAN G-MONEY!

• BApril 22, 2014 - 1:23 pm

Thats a really terrible thing to say. Im sure you have never made a mistake similar to theirs, right?

• albertApril 22, 2014 - 1:35 pm

It disappoint s me that your first response to this is a negative one the fact that some one lost they're life is never good just like your comments you posted you don't even have the heart to say sorry for your loss NO TYPE OF SORROW (what happens if it was one of your loved ones and someone posted stuff like you did about your lost would u care how they past away) to his family friends ESPECIALLY THE KIDS he was a special guy to his KIDS FAMILY FRIENDS COWORKERS soooo to every one that had nothing good to say no matter how God wanted any friend Coworker family member cousin brother mom or dad to come back home be a MATURE ADULT AND SHOW LOVE IF NOT KEEP YOUR pessimistic comments to your self Ty

• smwieserApril 22, 2014 - 7:44 pm

To the families of the terrible accident very sorry for your loss. I am sorry people are inadequate in expressing proper manners.

• Arvel TurnerApril 22, 2014 - 7:54 pm

I don't care who says what about the death of my son, just realize he is someones son, brother , a father, etc. We all loved him, and always will. Love you Roman

• GRIPPAApril 22, 2014 - 8:08 pm

HE WAS A REAL FRIEND OF MINE, KNEW HIM FOR YEARS! LOVE U BRA, U WILL BE MISSED & NOT FORGOT! HE WOULD HAVE GIVEN HIS LAST IF IN NEED! U DON'T FIND FRIENDS LIK ROMAN! HARD WORKING MAN, GO ALL OUT FOR HIS FAMILY! WORK AT LIPSEY'S FOR YEARS! ON MY WAY TO THE BLOCK & BURN IT DOWN FOR U! TO ALL THAT HAS SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO SAY, I'M AT LIPSEY'S COME SEE ME! LOVE U MOM'S & SIS & LIL ROMAN!

• Teri SugaiApril 22, 2014 - 11:58 pm

No matter what the circumstance, the injured woman and deceased man are someone's family, someone's friend. It's easy for people in glass houses to throw stones. My heartfelt condolences to those who have lost a father, brother, son, friend. May he walk peacefully in the next world and always know that he is loved.

• YUNG CELLOApril 23, 2014 - 12:38 am

Damn roman I can't believe Ur gone bruh this ain't cool man its not the same anymore without u here REST IN PEACE my friend I love u big bruh

• JammerApril 23, 2014 - 6:23 am

Love you fam. See you soon enough. I'm taking this way too hard man.... I wish the last time I saw you, a few days ago. I could've hugged you.... Love you rome

• Renee PageApril 23, 2014 - 7:28 am

I would like to request prayers for the young woman who is driving the vehicle. No matter what the reason was for the wreck, this is something that she will carry in her heart, always.

• dreApril 23, 2014 - 12:19 pm

Rip 2 my boy Roman never b forgotten 2 many good memories 4 me 2 let go . Dre

• Angela SaldanaApril 23, 2014 - 12:44 pm

My condolences to the family. Did not know him but I know Mandy. Sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you all during this sad and difficult time. May God watch over all of you.

• T LOPEZApril 23, 2014 - 4:40 pm

RIP Rome...... don't care what anybody is saying about you on this page.... everybody knows that you were a solid ass person..... much love Rome

• JulieApril 23, 2014 - 8:56 pm

My children are at an extreme loss due to this tragic event. I cannot ever give Roman and Anya back their Dad...I can only surround them with loving, positive family and friends. So many have showed them sooooo much love and gave them the upmost respect ♥ I thank those who have positive comments about their Dad for them to read. I do not appreciate a few others - But it's a good life lesson for them to see how ugly some can really be, strangers or not. everyone affected by this has my deepest condolences

• Ricole (Big BOOB'S WIFE)April 24, 2014 - 7:00 am

Roman was a real cool guy and to have known him for the little time we had known felt like years! Damn Rome you will be missed ! You and my husband would be around each other daily, from bike riding, to yall turn ups! He's taking this soooo hard as well as the rest of guys who hung out with yall! Praying for your kids, family, and your Friends! This a tuff one! But we all must know he's in a mucg better place! #RestInPeaceROMAN

• MosesApril 24, 2014 - 11:16 am

R.I.P Roman i can just here your voice in my head saying thank you for what i tought you and i neverwill forget that but you tought me alot like being a good dad thru thick n thin. love you bro r.i.p. best condoinces to the family

• jamieApril 25, 2014 - 7:48 am

love you rome miss ya and only you can call me jaime

Solano cities celebrate Earth Day

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Hard-fought battle ends in victory

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1 | Gallery

Children enjoy day of fishing at Fairfield pond

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Those addictive, terrible, wonderful smartphones

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Expo shows Kroc Center fun for whole Framily

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Suisun police execute tobacco sting

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A4

Edibles in your landscape

By Daily Republic | From Page: C4

CHP offers free class for senior drivers

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Supervisors consider changes in various county fees

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Patrons raise a glass to toast a good cause

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Walk MS hits stride along Suisun waterfront

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

Covered California offers Solano enrollment events

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Weather for Sunday, April 26, 2015

Pay close attention to investment costs

By Mark Sievers | From Page: B7

Be wary of next ‘big’ thing

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

With legalization, lawyers turn to business of pot

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Remains of dismembered newborn found in South Los Angeles

Spring storm delivers late rain, snow to Northern California

‘Operation Babylift’ kids, soldiers reunite 40 years later

Starbucks stores reopen Saturday after computer glitch

Nearly 17 million watch Jenner interview

Aden hit by coalition airstrikes amid fierce street battles

Mother in custody dispute freed after 8 years behind bars

A dozen arrested as Freddie Gray protests turn violent

Italy marks 70th anniversary of anti-Nazi uprising

European authorities stop illegal horse meat network

Italian navy rescues 274 from migrant ship off Libyan coast

Army shutting down wounded warrior transition care units

Warrior pose: Yoga catching on as therapy for veterans’ PTSD

By The Washington Post | From Page: B10

Toll climbs after powerful quake hits Nepal: Things to Know

Corruption tarnishes values of our ancestors

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Obama sides with enemy

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

Who’s asleep at the switch?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

How can we give them more?

By Brian Thiemer | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

Primary challenge could force Harris’ hand

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Sound off for April 26, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Brides show short wedding gowns more of the love

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Community Calendar: April 26, 2015

Today in history: Sunday, April 26

Vatican goes on offensive to defend US-Spanish saint

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

You get what you need with Jesus

By Noel Reese | From Page: C3, 1 Comment

How can I trust my husband after he texted a younger woman behind my back?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Horoscope: April 26, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Veterinarians are too expensive, and it puts pets at risk

By The Washington Post | From Page: C5

Old standby body-weight training still has moves

By The Washington Post | From Page: C7

Milan spiffs up for Expo 2015

By The Associated Press | From Page: C7

Amber Tamblyn writes book of poetry about dead actresses

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Former Expos executive Jim Fanning dies at 87

Sandy Lyle, Ian Woosnam team to lead Legends of Golf

Compton, Day top leaderboard in rain-plagued Zurich Classic

Suzuki breaks Oh’s record for runs by a Japanese player

Bulldogs get 10-0 baseball win over Panthers

Canadian teen Henderson has 1-shot lead in LPGA Tour event

Klitschko outpoints Jennings to defend heavyweight titles

Michael Schumacher’s son makes strong Formula 4 debut

A’s place Ben Zobrist on disabled list with knee injury

7 players from Royals, White Sox punished by MLB for brawl

Grizzlies hold off a late Trail Blazers rally to go up 3-0

Hometown report: Bicycle racing, youth track

Bowling report for April 26, 2015

Bayless’ layup at buzzer gives Bucks 92-90 win over Bulls

Nets beat Hawks 91-83, pull within 2-1 in series

Sports on TV for Sunday, April 26, 2015

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B5

This date in sports history for April 26

Veggies take center plate as healthy fast food chains expand

What’s in a hotel name? Guests try to decipher the mystery

Is ice cream safe? Federal health officials say yes

Don’t panic, college seniors: Jobs for grads likely to grow

Nicole Herdia Spann