Friday, August 1, 2014

1 dead, 1 injured in solo rollover I-80 crash

From page A7 | April 23, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — One person died after a solo rollover vehicle crash this weekend on eastbound Interstate 80.

The crash occurred about 11:10 p.m. Saturday near the American Canyon exit when a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo with two occupants lost control and veered off  the roadway, said Sgt. Mike Lehman of the California Highway Patrol.

The vehicle rolled several times and came to rest on McGary Road.

The driver, Amber Gomes, 30, of Isleton, suffered moderate injuries and was taken to NorthBay Medical Center. The passenger, Roman Barrozo, 33, whose city of residence was unknown, was ejected, suffered major injuries and was transported to Kaiser Permanente Vacaville Medical Center.

Barrozo died from his injuries.

CHP spokesman Officer Chris Parker said Gomes was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence causing injury, manslaughter, driving on a suspended license and being under the influence of cocaine.

Lehman said the vehicle’s occupants were not wearing seat belts.

The crash remains under investigation.

Reach Susan Winlow at 427-6955 or swinlow@dailyrepublic.net. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/swinlowdr.

• sherrie whitneyApril 22, 2014 - 10:30 am

That was our brocomther.. You guys should keep your negativity to yourself! We love you Roman!!

• Cecilia Renee BarrozoApril 22, 2014 - 11:06 pm

Roman regardless of what ppl say or any comment made about you, were the best big cousin I could ask for I love you very much there's nothing and no one that can take the man you were in out eyes and I promise you that if I ever come across someone that feels differently I stick up for you every time, you'd do it for me...I missed you and you were just a couple city's away and now I won't see you I love you big cousin rest in peace

• Renee PageApril 22, 2014 - 12:37 pm

I would like to respond to those of you who have commented on this heartbreaking event, so far. Yes, seat belts were not worn. Possibly, drugs or alcohol were involved. No, this is not 'thinning of the herd'. .The young man who passed away was a-- passenger--in the vehicle that rolled over. He was a son, a brother, an uncle and a father. In particular, he is the father of my grandchildren. He was a person with a good heart. While you may have difficulty feeling sorrow, believe me when I say that those of us who love him feel every bit of that sorrow. Though I believe that all are entitled to their opinions, I do ask that no more negative, hurtful comments are left here. His children and family do not need any further heartache.

• JulieApril 22, 2014 - 12:48 pm

♥ Thank you. I ask the same - please keep any negativity to yourself. Unfortunately, my son, Roman's son, already read those super insensitive posts =( it is sad that so many human beings lack compassion for one's life.

• StephanieApril 22, 2014 - 1:02 pm

Rip Roman you will always be loved and missed as your family grieves I pray we can all stand together through this horrible time I may not of known you that well but you were family none the less and to anyone with negativity go spread it somewhere else because his family and friends don't need this love you Roman and I'm praying for peace and justice for your family and wonderful children

• StevenApril 22, 2014 - 1:19 pm

Rip Roman! He was a great friend of mine! So any of you that have nothing better to do the leave negative comments i would love to meet you in person and see how tough you guys are when you arent at a computer screen!

• DebraApril 22, 2014 - 5:06 pm

Where are the apologies that this family deserves?

• JazzAzzApril 22, 2014 - 6:57 pm

Well I have to admit that my earlier comment about, "Thinning the Herd," was a bit harsh. So I apologize for THAT. But I must say, going to High School and driver training back in the 60s, before sets belts were mandatory (Yes there was a time when cars did not come with them), we debated about the importance of having them in class, and many of us saw the wisdom of wearing them. And while driving across country while in the Navy, my good childhood pal, driving my 65 VW Karman Ghia, flipped it over not once, but TWICE at highway speed, crushing the top in on us and totaling my car. The only thing that saved both our lives (Except for a few scars I bear from flying glass) was that we had seat belts on. Everyone that pulled over behind us, thought that we were going to be dead. One woman said, "My God, he's still walking," as I crawled out of my door. So I can not emphasize enough how important seat belts are, and there is no excuse for not wearing them. But I do apologize for seeming uncaring.

• CD BrooksApril 22, 2014 - 5:29 pm

Well! It came back...

• KenApril 22, 2014 - 7:43 pm

RIP old friend

• GRIPPAApril 22, 2014 - 7:56 pm

1LOVE ROMAN G-MONEY!

• BApril 22, 2014 - 1:23 pm

Thats a really terrible thing to say. Im sure you have never made a mistake similar to theirs, right?

• albertApril 22, 2014 - 1:35 pm

It disappoint s me that your first response to this is a negative one the fact that some one lost they're life is never good just like your comments you posted you don't even have the heart to say sorry for your loss NO TYPE OF SORROW (what happens if it was one of your loved ones and someone posted stuff like you did about your lost would u care how they past away) to his family friends ESPECIALLY THE KIDS he was a special guy to his KIDS FAMILY FRIENDS COWORKERS soooo to every one that had nothing good to say no matter how God wanted any friend Coworker family member cousin brother mom or dad to come back home be a MATURE ADULT AND SHOW LOVE IF NOT KEEP YOUR pessimistic comments to your self Ty

• smwieserApril 22, 2014 - 7:44 pm

To the families of the terrible accident very sorry for your loss. I am sorry people are inadequate in expressing proper manners.

• Arvel TurnerApril 22, 2014 - 7:54 pm

I don't care who says what about the death of my son, just realize he is someones son, brother , a father, etc. We all loved him, and always will. Love you Roman

• GRIPPAApril 22, 2014 - 8:08 pm

HE WAS A REAL FRIEND OF MINE, KNEW HIM FOR YEARS! LOVE U BRA, U WILL BE MISSED & NOT FORGOT! HE WOULD HAVE GIVEN HIS LAST IF IN NEED! U DON'T FIND FRIENDS LIK ROMAN! HARD WORKING MAN, GO ALL OUT FOR HIS FAMILY! WORK AT LIPSEY'S FOR YEARS! ON MY WAY TO THE BLOCK & BURN IT DOWN FOR U! TO ALL THAT HAS SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO SAY, I'M AT LIPSEY'S COME SEE ME! LOVE U MOM'S & SIS & LIL ROMAN!

• Teri SugaiApril 22, 2014 - 11:58 pm

No matter what the circumstance, the injured woman and deceased man are someone's family, someone's friend. It's easy for people in glass houses to throw stones. My heartfelt condolences to those who have lost a father, brother, son, friend. May he walk peacefully in the next world and always know that he is loved.

• YUNG CELLOApril 23, 2014 - 12:38 am

Damn roman I can't believe Ur gone bruh this ain't cool man its not the same anymore without u here REST IN PEACE my friend I love u big bruh

• JammerApril 23, 2014 - 6:23 am

Love you fam. See you soon enough. I'm taking this way too hard man.... I wish the last time I saw you, a few days ago. I could've hugged you.... Love you rome

• Renee PageApril 23, 2014 - 7:28 am

I would like to request prayers for the young woman who is driving the vehicle. No matter what the reason was for the wreck, this is something that she will carry in her heart, always.

• dreApril 23, 2014 - 12:19 pm

Rip 2 my boy Roman never b forgotten 2 many good memories 4 me 2 let go . Dre

• Angela SaldanaApril 23, 2014 - 12:44 pm

My condolences to the family. Did not know him but I know Mandy. Sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you all during this sad and difficult time. May God watch over all of you.

• T LOPEZApril 23, 2014 - 4:40 pm

RIP Rome...... don't care what anybody is saying about you on this page.... everybody knows that you were a solid ass person..... much love Rome

• JulieApril 23, 2014 - 8:56 pm

My children are at an extreme loss due to this tragic event. I cannot ever give Roman and Anya back their Dad...I can only surround them with loving, positive family and friends. So many have showed them sooooo much love and gave them the upmost respect ♥ I thank those who have positive comments about their Dad for them to read. I do not appreciate a few others - But it's a good life lesson for them to see how ugly some can really be, strangers or not. everyone affected by this has my deepest condolences

• Ricole (Big BOOB'S WIFE)April 24, 2014 - 7:00 am

Roman was a real cool guy and to have known him for the little time we had known felt like years! Damn Rome you will be missed ! You and my husband would be around each other daily, from bike riding, to yall turn ups! He's taking this soooo hard as well as the rest of guys who hung out with yall! Praying for your kids, family, and your Friends! This a tuff one! But we all must know he's in a mucg better place! #RestInPeaceROMAN

• MosesApril 24, 2014 - 11:16 am

R.I.P Roman i can just here your voice in my head saying thank you for what i tought you and i neverwill forget that but you tought me alot like being a good dad thru thick n thin. love you bro r.i.p. best condoinces to the family

• jamieApril 25, 2014 - 7:48 am

love you rome miss ya and only you can call me jaime

‘Boyhood’ mature on music, moments

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B1

Mr. Clean: Dennis Regan offers friendly jokes, with a bite

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Gemstones shine at Solano County Fair

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Trifecta: ‘The Who’s Tommy’ third play in three months

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Japan Summerfest returns this month

Highway 12 to close overnight in Jameson Canyon

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4

Air district calls Spare the Air alert

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Vallejo police arrest suspect in shooting death

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Solano Tea Party Patriots schedule meet

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Stabbing victim dies in Vacaville

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Fairfield police log: July 30, 2014

Suisun City police log: July 30, 2014

As US job market strengthens, many don’t feel it

Dow plunges as multiple worries vex investors

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Wisconsin Supreme Court upholds 2011 union law

A look at the impact of Wisconsin’s union law

Union: California prison staff told to fake checks

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Abbas seeks broad support for war crimes charges

US, UN announce deal on 72-hour Gaza cease-fire

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Californians to see increase in health plan costs

Appellate court overturns high-speed rail rulings

Report: Secrecy enveloped Bay Bridge construction

Yosemite wildfire weakened, evacuations to end

Candidate goes homeless to show economic gap

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

California ex-mayor sentenced in corruption case

US warns against traveling to Ebola-hit countries

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

See-through mice reveal details of inner anatomy

CIA spied on Senate, internal review finds

Demoted worker shoots CEO, kills self in Chicago

NASA to test making rocket fuel ingredient on Mars

Investigators reach Ukraine jet wreckage site

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Congress races to finish VA, highway bills

Nice guy becomes House majority leader

By Dan Walters | From Page: A11

Should union organizing be a civil right?

By Ben Boychuk and Joel Mathis | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Editorial Cartoons: Aug. 1, 2014

To err is human – but not in print

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Why do so many Americans support Hamas

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 5 Comments

Today in History for Aug. 1, 2014

Community Calendar: Aug. 1, 2014

My irregular monthly cycles were a symptom of cancer, not menopause

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscopes for Aug. 1, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Week in preview Aug. 1-7, 2014

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

‘Godfather of Makeup’ Dick Smith dead at 92

Review: Boseman drips with charisma as James Brown

Starz’ ‘Outlander’ brings novels to life vibrantly

Dionne Warwick knows her way to San Jose

Entertainment calendar Aug. 1, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

‘Sharknado 2′ whipped up storm of viewers, tweets

Chekwa taking reps with Raiders while Hayden sits

Safety Bethea finding a groove with new 49ers team

Expos fall short in 10-9 loss to Leghorns

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B7

A’s deal Tommy Milone to Twins for Sam Fuld

A’s get Lester, Gomes from Red Sox for Cespedes

Commonwealth Games athlete convicted for assault on rival

Lynch ends holdout, arrives at Seahawks camp

Nick Watney leads PGA Barracuda Championship

Rich get richer: Rays’ Price traded to Tigers

Dumdumaya takes third in World Junior/Junior Olympic tourney

AP Source: Trump advances in Bills sale process

Mudcats get 15-7 win in Auburn Classic

Phelps to compete in 4 events at US nationals

Another decent start for Woods at Firestone

Ravens’ Rice: His actions ‘totally inexcusable’

Dustin Johnson takes leave of absence from golf

Signups for Friday, Aug. 1, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B9

Derrick Brooks set standard for NFL linebackers

Daimler launches new version of tiny Smart car

By The Associated Press | From Page: C1

Panasonic, Tesla to build big US battery plant

SeaWorld, Southwest Airlines ending partnership

Target taps outsider as CEO for needed shakeup

Iliad of France makes surprise bid for T-Mobile US

In San Francisco real estate, $1M won’t buy much

Facebook’s Internet.org expands in Zambia

Debit overdraft fees often exceed cost of purchase

By The Associated Press | From Page: B11, 1 Comment