TRAVIS AIR FORCE BASE — All 711 civilians at Travis Air Force Base furloughed Oct. 1 because of the partial government shutdown returned to work starting Monday.
Under the Pay Our Military Act, all civilians at the major command level and below were approved to return to their normal duties, the air base said in a release.
“Every member of the Air Force team is important to accomplishing our mission,” said Col. Corey Martin, 60th Air Mobility Wing commander. “Our hope is that the shutdown will be lifted and the appropriations bill will be passed.”
Maj. Brandon Lingle at Travis Air Force Base had said officials looked at 1,500 civilian positions to determine which would be furloughed last week.
Many facilities including the teen center, commissary, library, education center and the Airman and Family Readiness Center were closed last week. Other facilities remained open but offered limited services, including David Grant Medical Center, civilian personnel office, visitor control center and the 349th Air Mobility Wing.
All facilities, except the library and heritage center, reopened or returned to normal operating hours Monday.
“We’re happy to have the civilians back at work,” base spokeswoman Lt. Jessica Clark said Monday afternoon.
Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This version updates the original to include the number of civilian workers who reported back to work.