Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Last Laugh celebrates 7 years

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | April 07, 2014 |

The Last Laugh turns 7 this month! I appreciated the decorative bunting the Daily Republic hung outside its Texas Street office in celebration. Giving free bobble head dolls of me wearing a No. 7 Oakland Raiders jersey to all subscribers was also nice (but Kyle Boller? Really? How about Steve Beuerlein at least?).

I think making all their regular employees wear incredibly lifelike whole-head rubber masks of my face while at work was a bit much, however.

Anyway, to celebrate, this column is all about the number 7.

7 years of confidence: Since I have been doing this now for seven years, I think it’s time I changed my email address. My original one, [email protected], was just to show who I was, the older sibling of longtime, respected Daily Republic opinion columnist Kelvin Wade. I am now confident and can stand on my own two feet and will use [email protected] instead.

7 years old: When I was 7 years old and in the first grade, I learned a hard lesson about people. A parent of a classmate had a bag full of Looney Tunes puppets that were part of some promotion and I think they worked for the company or something. Each kid in my class reached into a bag and you got whatever puppet you picked. I got a Wile E. Coyote one and was thrilled. At recess, I stupidly put my puppet on top of a mobile clothes closet and when I came back, it was gone. These were just molded plastic heads of Looney Tune characters attached to basically a small trash bag, but still I was crushed. I found one on eBay for $4.99 and was tempted to buy it to soothe my inner child of that trauma. What would feel better, though, would be to discover who stole my puppet and punch them in the stomach. Seven times.

Seven of Nine: I watched “Star Trek: Voyager” from the first episode and was a fan. Then, when ratings started to slip, they added the character Seven of Nine, often just called Seven, played by Jeri Ryan, who wore a uniform so tight it appeared to be body paint. The Star Trek purist in me was irritated by how many bandwagon fans the show then got. My eyes were also irritated because I never blinked for fear of missing a second of that uniform.

7th Grade: The only thing I remember from the physical science class I had at Grange Intermediate (besides Tami Anderson’s Ditto jeans) was when the teacher, Mr. Jones, taught us an acronym to remember the seven colors in the light spectrum that make up a rainbow. Roy G. Biv was the acronym and stands for red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Turns out there is a real Roy G. Biv and he is gay so that helps even more.

Seven is how many pull-ups I did when we had that dreaded annual physical fitness test in P.E. during my school years. I mean for all 12 years. While saying that is a tad embarrassing, it is way better than saying I averaged 0.583333333333333333 pull-ups annually from first grade to high school.

The Seven Deadly Sins are: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and being a Niners’ fan.

The Seven Words You Can’t Say on Television, George Carlin’s classic comedy bit, in 2014 would just be four. I would list the ones you can now say on TV, but you can’t say any of them in newspapers. That is, unless you cleverly conceal them somewhere in the text as I have with this column. If you find all seven, you will win a free bar of “A Christmas Story” Life Buoy soap to wash your mouth out with.

7th song: One of my favorite rock guitarists, Steve Vai, always has an unbelievable instrumental as the seventh song on his albums. In 2000, he released the album “The 7th Song,” which was a collection of all his seventh songs. When I listened to “Melissa’s Garden,” the seventh song on that album made up of seventh songs, my head exploded. Consequently, I now wear one of those whole head rubber masks of my mug.

Thanks to all seven regular readers!

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected].

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Jeri Ryan 7 of 9 from Star TrekApril 07, 2014 - 8:06 am

• Lust (7 Deadly Sins)April 07, 2014 - 6:00 pm

• Traveling Wilburys - 7 Deadly Sins - LyricsApril 07, 2014 - 6:06 pm

• Pet Shop Boys - It's A SinApril 07, 2014 - 6:12 pm

• Fats Waller- It's a Sin to Tell a LieApril 07, 2014 - 6:15 pm

• Eddy Arnold - Don't Rob Another Man's CastleApril 07, 2014 - 6:22 pm

• Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)April 07, 2014 - 6:30 pm

• Spring, Spring, Spring - Seven brides for seven brothersApril 07, 2014 - 6:34 pm

• Hive Full Of Honey - Calamity JaneApril 07, 2014 - 6:41 pm

• Doris Day ~ Catch The BouquetApril 07, 2014 - 6:42 pm

• NFSD Jeni LeGon, Bill Robinson and Fats Waller Perform, "Living In A Great Big Way"April 07, 2014 - 7:10 pm

• Judy Garland & Gene Kelly - Ballin' the JackApril 07, 2014 - 7:20 pm

• Ain't Misbehavin' Savin' all my Celebratin' 4 U Tony !April 07, 2014 - 7:29 pm

Netanyahu assails Iran deal, touts US-Israel ties

‘Naty’ Revuelta, who had daughter with Fidel Castro, dies

UN warns against complacency as Ebola fight enters new phase

Iraq launches operation to retake Tikrit from Islamic State

Woman with slain Putin critic says she didn’t see his killer

Storms bring up nearly 3 feet of snow to Lake Tahoe

4 people killed, 4 others injured in California car crash

Federal study: Foster kids struggle to get health screenings

Mom convicted of killing son, 5, by poisoning him with salt

Well-liked photo teacher found dead in California classroom

Budget standoff leaves California college hopefuls in limbo

Police chief: Man killed on Skid Row reached for gun

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 2 Comments | Gallery

Military judge orders overseer of Gitmo cases replaced

Snowy Boston starts removing parking-space savers

Israelis worry about inequality, not Iran

By Daniel Gordis | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Editorial cartoon: March 3-4, 2015

Minority outreach that works

By Jennifer Rubin | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Sara Gilbert welcomes baby boy with wife Linda Perry

Judge: CeeLo Green in compliance with probation in drug case

Clive Owen to make Broadway debut in Pinter’s ‘Old Times’

Television’s ‘Judge Judy’ staying in session

Pop channel bringing Daytime Emmys ceremony back to TV

Julianne and Derek Hough to hit the road again this summer

Ming-Na Wen: ‘S.H.I.E.L.D.’ role makes me a cool mom

TVGrid March 3

NASCAR falls flat in follow-up to Daytona 500

Mayweather and Pacquiao to meet only once before fight week

Michael Schumacher’s son to drive in Formula 4

UConn still No. 1 in women’s basketball poll

Kurt Busch to follow guidelines toward NASCAR reinstatement

Harrington wins the Honda Classic in a playoff

Curt Schilling fires back after offensive Twitter posts

Wild week leads to changes across AP Top 25 poll

New Browns QB McCown barely knows Manziel

Jordan, other NBA owners join Forbes’ billionaire list

NFL salary cap increases $10 million to top $143 million

A’s switch-pitcher hopes to find spot with Oakland

Sharks trade Desjardins to Blackhawks for Smith

Buffett declines to clarify plan to eventually replace him

US consumer spending, adjusted for inflation, rose in Jan.

Ikea launches furniture with inbuilt wireless chargers

Minimum wage in 1 Oakland jumps

PayPal to acquire mobile wallet provider Paydient

Costco strikes credit card deal with Citi, Visa