Friday, April 24, 2015

The Last Laugh celebrates 7 years

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | April 07, 2014 |

The Last Laugh turns 7 this month! I appreciated the decorative bunting the Daily Republic hung outside its Texas Street office in celebration. Giving free bobble head dolls of me wearing a No. 7 Oakland Raiders jersey to all subscribers was also nice (but Kyle Boller? Really? How about Steve Beuerlein at least?).

I think making all their regular employees wear incredibly lifelike whole-head rubber masks of my face while at work was a bit much, however.

Anyway, to celebrate, this column is all about the number 7.

7 years of confidence: Since I have been doing this now for seven years, I think it’s time I changed my email address. My original one, [email protected], was just to show who I was, the older sibling of longtime, respected Daily Republic opinion columnist Kelvin Wade. I am now confident and can stand on my own two feet and will use [email protected] instead.

7 years old: When I was 7 years old and in the first grade, I learned a hard lesson about people. A parent of a classmate had a bag full of Looney Tunes puppets that were part of some promotion and I think they worked for the company or something. Each kid in my class reached into a bag and you got whatever puppet you picked. I got a Wile E. Coyote one and was thrilled. At recess, I stupidly put my puppet on top of a mobile clothes closet and when I came back, it was gone. These were just molded plastic heads of Looney Tune characters attached to basically a small trash bag, but still I was crushed. I found one on eBay for $4.99 and was tempted to buy it to soothe my inner child of that trauma. What would feel better, though, would be to discover who stole my puppet and punch them in the stomach. Seven times.

Seven of Nine: I watched “Star Trek: Voyager” from the first episode and was a fan. Then, when ratings started to slip, they added the character Seven of Nine, often just called Seven, played by Jeri Ryan, who wore a uniform so tight it appeared to be body paint. The Star Trek purist in me was irritated by how many bandwagon fans the show then got. My eyes were also irritated because I never blinked for fear of missing a second of that uniform.

7th Grade: The only thing I remember from the physical science class I had at Grange Intermediate (besides Tami Anderson’s Ditto jeans) was when the teacher, Mr. Jones, taught us an acronym to remember the seven colors in the light spectrum that make up a rainbow. Roy G. Biv was the acronym and stands for red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Turns out there is a real Roy G. Biv and he is gay so that helps even more.

Seven is how many pull-ups I did when we had that dreaded annual physical fitness test in P.E. during my school years. I mean for all 12 years. While saying that is a tad embarrassing, it is way better than saying I averaged 0.583333333333333333 pull-ups annually from first grade to high school.

The Seven Deadly Sins are: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and being a Niners’ fan.

The Seven Words You Can’t Say on Television, George Carlin’s classic comedy bit, in 2014 would just be four. I would list the ones you can now say on TV, but you can’t say any of them in newspapers. That is, unless you cleverly conceal them somewhere in the text as I have with this column. If you find all seven, you will win a free bar of “A Christmas Story” Life Buoy soap to wash your mouth out with.

7th song: One of my favorite rock guitarists, Steve Vai, always has an unbelievable instrumental as the seventh song on his albums. In 2000, he released the album “The 7th Song,” which was a collection of all his seventh songs. When I listened to “Melissa’s Garden,” the seventh song on that album made up of seventh songs, my head exploded. Consequently, I now wear one of those whole head rubber masks of my mug.

Thanks to all seven regular readers!

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected].

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Jeri Ryan 7 of 9 from Star TrekApril 07, 2014 - 8:06 am

• Lust (7 Deadly Sins)April 07, 2014 - 6:00 pm

• Traveling Wilburys - 7 Deadly Sins - LyricsApril 07, 2014 - 6:06 pm

• Pet Shop Boys - It's A SinApril 07, 2014 - 6:12 pm

• Fats Waller- It's a Sin to Tell a LieApril 07, 2014 - 6:15 pm

• Eddy Arnold - Don't Rob Another Man's CastleApril 07, 2014 - 6:22 pm

• Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)April 07, 2014 - 6:30 pm

• Spring, Spring, Spring - Seven brides for seven brothersApril 07, 2014 - 6:34 pm

• Hive Full Of Honey - Calamity JaneApril 07, 2014 - 6:41 pm

• Doris Day ~ Catch The BouquetApril 07, 2014 - 6:42 pm

• NFSD Jeni LeGon, Bill Robinson and Fats Waller Perform, "Living In A Great Big Way"April 07, 2014 - 7:10 pm

• Judy Garland & Gene Kelly - Ballin' the JackApril 07, 2014 - 7:20 pm

• Ain't Misbehavin' Savin' all my Celebratin' 4 U Tony !April 07, 2014 - 7:29 pm

Spring band festival gets new life in Fairfield

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1, 4 Comments

Students showcase artistic talents at annual show

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Dixon May Fair offers sneak peek

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Fairfield police log: April 22, 2015

Suisun City police log: April 22, 2015

Few vets getting care through $10 billion VA program

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 3 Comments | Gallery

San Diego man arrested in terror case

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Google CEO compensation tops $100M

Pentagon eyes possible use of cyberwarfare in the future

Judge denies parole to former Manson Family member

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Evidence building of fracking-caused earthquakes

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Wife of slain mayor accused of manslaughter

Cesar Chavez gets full military honors

Petraeus sentenced to 2 years’ probation for military leak

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6 | Gallery

New DNA codes for mammoths: Step toward bringing them back?

Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP White House hopefuls

Loretta Lynch wins confirmation as attorney general

American, Italian hostages killed in US drone strike

Thousands evacuated following Chilean eruption

European leaders rally to solve migrant ship issue

Armenians mark 100-year anniversary of massacres

Community Calendar: April 24, 2015

Today in history: Friday, April 24, 2015

Horoscopes: April 24, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

My late husband’s brother still has drum set meant for my son

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Week in preview April 24-30, 2015

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

American Indian actors quit Adam Sandler movie over names

Basses discuss being black opera singers

Entertainment Calendar: April 24, 2015

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

Facing the second album challenge with Alabama Shakes

Warriors erase 20-point hole, beat Pelicans 123-119 in OT

Maxwell hits winning single in 10th, Giants sweep Dodgers

Prep track: Indians boys roll to win in four-way meet

Vanden girls soccer rally late for 3-3 tie with American Canyon

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B7 | Gallery

BALCO & Biogenesis may be over, but steroids cloud remains

Toyota to provide 1st hydrogen-fueled pace car

6 Hall of Famers to announce picks at NFL draft

A’s take hard-luck 2-0 loss despite allowing 1 hit to Angels

Home run king Barry Bonds’ legacy might always be tarnished

Sleek new plans released for Los Angeles-area NFL stadium

Aaron Hernandez moved to new prison after murder conviction

Manfred: Rose will be allowed to be part of All-Star Game

New track announcer taking the mike at Churchill Downs

WNBA’s Griner, fiancee Glory Johnson arrested after fight

Tyrone Wallace to stay at Cal for senior season

This date in sports history for April 24

Boo Weekley, Brendon de Jonge share Zurich Classic lead

Champ Lydia Ko takes first-round lead in Swinging Skirts

Michael Crabtree joins Raiders with something to prove

5 things to know about GM’s revamped Chevy Malibu

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2 | Gallery

Ford unveils new Taurus influenced by China

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

China fines Mercedes after price-fixing probe

Agriculture officials look to curtail emissions from farming

Toyota tops in 1Q global vehicle sales

Unemployment numbers point to improved job security

Home sales off to slow start

Nasdaq closes at record high

Kim Nguyen