Friday, November 28, 2014

Fairfield sign a landmark, source of pride

sign for column

From page A2 | January 24, 2014 |

The now-iconic sign that arches across downtown Texas Street and lets visitors know they are in “Fairfield County Seat Solano County” was erected in 1925. Evidently the same catalyst for the city to have a “Where is Fairfield?” festival 70 years later existed back in the roaring ’20s.

The Fairfield Community Club, a local service outfit, morphed into the Fairfield Lions Club, an affiliate of a larger national organization, in 1925 and the sign was its first project. The price tag was approximately $1,000 (the equivalent of more than $13,000 today).

While a special tax made up the difference, the Fairfield Lions Club raised the, well, lion’s share of the cost in various ways, including selling 50-cent raffle tickets, with the grand prize a donated washing machine (retail value: $135). The National Electric Sign Company in Oakland was the builder.

The sign’s location, in the middle of the block between Jackson and Webster streets, was chosen as it was then the geographic center of Fairfield and the busiest downtown block. It was across from Evans and Pyle Hardware store, which installed a convenient water fountain near it.

The sign was completed in March, but getting poles that could support its weight created a problem that took months to solve. Finally, the community was invited to an unveiling party Oct. 23, 1925. According to reports in the Solano Republican newspaper, when the sign was switched on, the crowd applauded lustily, then began to party as citizens from ages 6 to 60 danced to selections by the Fairfield Community Band.

Eighty incandescent light bulbs first illuminated the letters of the sign, but it was changed in the early 1930s to neon. In 1961, the Fairfield Planning Commission suggested the sign be taken down because it was in disrepair. A firestorm of local protest killed that idea and instead the sign was spruced up by being painted blue and given some detailed work in white and yellow.

Today, some of the letters don’t light up and according to Mike Gray, Fairfield public works manager, the culprit is the neon.

He describes the sign as an “ongoing maintenance headache” because finding contractors willing to tackle the tricky neon is difficult. Plans are being made to hopefully switch it to something more stable while still keeping the landmark’s nostalgic look.

For many locals, the Fairfield sign is a source of connection and pride.

Harold Hesseltine: In 1957, we moved to Fairfield and the sign was the first thing my dad pointed out. “This is our new home.”

Catherine Moy: The red light above it was like the Batman signal back in the day. When activated, police knew there was action.

Mark Smith: The officer on the beat would see the red light on, go to the call box and call to see where the trouble was.

Tanja Duncan: Other than the fact that I like the colors and design of the sign and it gives me that “homey” feeling, I really love the fact that it says “county seat.” Whenever I saw the sign, it always gave me a sense of pride, that out of all the other towns in Solano, Fairfield is the “county seat.” Like in a way, we were small-town royalty.

Judy Leetham: I was away at college and my mom sent me an article about the City Council talking about taking the sign down. I wrote a letter to Manuel Campos, who used to live across the street from us and was either the mayor or a councilman at the time, and really poured out the horror I felt. He later told my dad: “I took that to the council and we decided we’d better not touch it with a 10-foot pole” and they decided to leave the sign alone. After that, my mom always referred to the Fairfield sign as “Judy’s sign.” Nice to be “famous” for something, huh?

Robert Jordan: Even though I’ve lived in Sacramento for 25 years now, driving under the Fairfield sign still means “I’m home.”

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at tonybethkaci@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• innovationinstitutellcJanuary 24, 2014 - 5:49 am

Nice home town feel to the sign. Forget the skeptics. We thank city hall for allowing the sign to stay up.

• DudeJanuary 24, 2014 - 8:29 am

In all my years of living in FF I never knew the story of the red light. I remember the "cruise" back in the 70's, driving downtown & the sign as a big part of it.

• P. J.January 24, 2014 - 8:30 am

Tony; go to the D. R.'s file for June 19, 1986, and you will find an article about the sign being refurbished and then rehung. Gary Falati was mayor, and my husband, Ralph Penning was president of Fairfield Lions Club...which had received the title, Fairfleld Host Lions (meaning, it had started new clubs). When I look at the article and photos now, well..... it's a cherished memory!

• Tony WadeJanuary 24, 2014 - 8:54 am

Well, I can go to the library's microfilm and find that. I remembered it being refurbished, but did not know when. Thanks so much!

• Mr. PracticalJanuary 24, 2014 - 4:11 pm

It was also relocated about 20 feet or so at that time.

• StreetwiseJanuary 24, 2014 - 8:46 am

The red light would work today with Starbucks being right there.

• P.J.January 24, 2014 - 8:49 am

Wow! I just remembered that the Fairfield Host Lions Club was chartered August 24, 1924. This year it will celebrate 80 years of continuous service. It is the oldest continually active service organization in Solano County. Some of Fairfield's great citizens belonged to that club: David Weir, Charles Sullivan, K.I. Jones, H. Glenn Richardson, Arne Digerud. Why not do an article about them....they meet at noon, each Wednesday at the Marriott! thanks: Phyllis Penning.... "my kids grew up in Fairfield"...

• Tony WadeJanuary 24, 2014 - 8:55 am

Now, that is a great idea! Thanks!

• B. ThiemerJanuary 24, 2014 - 11:55 am

neon is high maintenance. Perhaps swapping out with LED strands would be a better long term value?

• Tony WadeJanuary 24, 2014 - 12:10 pm

That is what is being proposed, I understand.

• Rick WoodJanuary 25, 2014 - 5:55 am

Tony, start a fundraiser! I'm in, and I bet the Lions Clubs and many others too.

• Dexter FowlerJanuary 24, 2014 - 11:10 pm

Great story! I learned a lot about the sign I see just about everyday. Thanks Tony!I think our downtown has great potential, I just wish more people supported it!

Giving thanks, ‘even in this broken world,’ on Thursday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Solano Turkey Trot draws 2,600 to college

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Early Black Friday shoppers take advantage of deals

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Il Fiorello schedules olive milling day

‘Guardian angel,’ community join to give man home

US celebrates Thanksgiving with parades, turkey

By The Associated Press | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Tons of marijuana seized in Central California

Gorilla death prompts San Francisco Zoo changes

Health agents still unpaid after plan’s rollout

California Burger King employee finds $100,000

Researchers discover ‘pre-cancers’ in blood

At 1 month, US Ebola monitors finding no cases

Families asked to host visitors for pope’s US trip

35 arrested in Oakland after protest march

A glance at Ferguson: Then, now and the future

For some, location of Brown’s hands irrelevant

Ferguson gives thanks after a quiet night

Colorado mastodon bones show ancient warmer Earth

Queen of crime writing PD James dies aged 94

Ebola aid dogged by coordination lags in Guinea

Taliban attack rocks upscale Kabul district

Small quake rattles California wine country

Movies just another course on Thanksgiving

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2′ doesn’t work

By Jake Coyle | From Page: B2

Review: ‘Madagascar’ spin-off hatches family fun

Singer John Mayer among ‘Late Late Show’ subs

Cosby testimony describes accuser’s spiked story

Sherman’s big night leads Seattle past 49ers again

Rookie quarterback Carr is Raiders’ silver lining

US cities urged to keep price tags down for 2024

Eagles roll over Cowboys 33-10 for NFC East lead

5 investigated in FIFA WCup bid corruption probe

Johnson shines in Detroit’s 34-17 win over Chicago

No. 9 UCLA must overcome Stanford for Pac-12 title

Kia’s ‘Soulful’ first electric car

By Ann M. Job | From Page: C1

Automakers aim to drive away car computer hackers

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

OPEC keeps oil output on hold despite low prices

3 Reasons holiday shoppers will spend cautiously

Esther Ringler

‘Chipper’ Douglas Lee Anderson Jr.

Deanna L. Haines