Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Swimming at Fairfield Plunge helped locals beat heat

swim

From page A2 | May 16, 2014 |

Then-13-year-old JoAnn Curley christened the $120,000 Fairfield Plunge swimming pool at its dedication May 30, 1958, by being the first to dive in. Curley earned that honor by winning a naming contest run by the city. She was also awarded free admission for one year.

The germ of the idea for a swimming pool built by the city could be traced back to 1949. Actually, the pool was supposed to have opened in 1957 and consequently the Fairfield City Council, including Councilman Allan Witt – later the namesake for the park the Plunge was in, voted to fine the builders $25 per day (total: $7,175) for every day the project was tardy, as per the contract.

Actually, while Curley officially christened the pool, a few weeks earlier, five Fairfield youths were busted swimming there before the grand opening.

Residents have tried to beat the heat in pools, at the lake and anywhere else they could find cool water. Some shared:

Dale Poncy: We used to sneak into the Armijo pool at night. We got away with it until we decided to start jumping off of the high dive – it was easy to see us while driving down Texas Street.

Daniel Forbes: In the summer of ‘64, I was at Crystal perfecting my back flip from the edge of the deep end. I jumped backward and everything went black. My feet had slipped out from under me as I jumped and my head smashed into the edge of the pool. I was sinking when someone jerked me to the surface. It wasn’t the lifeguard or my parents or even my friend, it was the brother of the redheads, Sherman Arnold. He saw me hit and went after me before any other responder could. They put 12 stitches in the top of my head. Fifty years have passed since that hot summer day, and I just wanted to say, “Sherman, wherever you are, thank you,” one more time.

Thomas Balmer: The Crystal Plunge, then the Fairfield Plunge, then hanging out at Paul’s Boat Harbor in Suisun and water skiing in the slough and at Berryessa. And then occasional trips to the beach in Marin or Sonoma County. Kids used to say Fairfield was nowhere, but I always knew it was smack in the middle of everything cool.

Jeanine Del Ponte: The Plunge was so fun. I learned how to swim there just by watching others swim. We would stay till we were prune-like and fried like a chicken. Sometimes we’d get Dairy Queen ice cream on the way home.

Donna Ingram: In the summer of 1966, I had a huge crush on Richie Meints – a bronzed, golden blond god. Every day I would walk to the Fairfield Plunge, spot Richie, and casually lay my towel near his while he was diving. I don’t think I ever went in the water, but I would tan (and roast in the heat), watching him dive until it was time to go home. Ah, sweet puppy love!

Dennis Smith: The Armijo pool was built when I was there, but I don’t think the heater was built until after I graduated.

Gary Falati: The old Fairfield Plunge was the cheapest baby-sitting service at the time in the city. For a child to be able to stay alone at the Plunge, they had to demonstrate they could swim across the pool without any assistance. Parents quickly figured out that by enrolling their child in a two-week swim class, the child could learn how to swim across the pool. We changed the policy to reflect a minimum age for admittance without an adult.

Keith Hayes: Around 1950-51, the nearest public swimming pool was in Vacaville and had just a thin wall separating the boys’ and girls’ dressing areas. Over the years, boys had tried to carve peepholes through the wall. One day one of the boys found a peephole and decided to look through it. When he started to peek, one of the girls blew face powder into the hole. It took about 20 minutes before he could see out of that eye. One Peeping Tom cured.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at toekneeweighed@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 6:48 am

That was way before my time up here (76). Was the Plunge in the same location that the Allen Witt Pool is now???

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 7:01 pm

Again Y'all, WHERE WAS IT LOCATED, where Allen Witt's is now??? I Googled, but found nothing???!!!

• Tony WadeMay 16, 2014 - 11:19 pm

Yes, that is where it was.

• Christine in FFMay 16, 2014 - 11:44 pm

SK~ I'm curious how you use this site. Do you have the commentary section bookmarked or do you go back to the article every time? I have "commentary" bookmarked and use that most of the time. I can always see my comment there but not in the actual article comments. Weird!

• S KMay 17, 2014 - 7:53 am

I have the DR bookmarked, then go to whichever article and post from there. But I only do this if I have read something of interest in the paper, but alas on Tuesdays I haven't a choice, having to read the entire thing online. I think my Wife just skips the Tuesday edition. Even though she finally got on the internet ship (Gave her an IPad that she was finally interested in) she considers it too much of a hassle. If they ever cut out another day, I will just end our subscription altogether.

• Christine in FFMay 17, 2014 - 10:42 am

SK~ on the left side of the page where all the links are, click on commentary, it takes you to all the comments on all the articles in order as they are written. When a comment doesn't show up in an article, it is usually posted there. I recommend bookmarking that page and trying it out. Much easier to navigate through the articles that have been commented on. Let me know what you think!

• KenRMay 16, 2014 - 2:45 pm

I took swimming lessons at FF Plunge in the summer of '61. In subsequent years had a season pass to Crystal Plunge. I knew Sherman Arnold, I probably was there the day that one guy hit his head on the side of the pool, spent the summer of '64 in that pool at 10 y/o.

• S.B.May 16, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Took beginning swimming lessons there at least twice in late 60's.first class in the am.. walked from my house on 4th street.. . never caught on. But still liked to go.. just never in the deep end.. I almost had to when gary falati substuted for our swim teacher and was having my fellow classmates jump off the low dive.. or he would drop u in himself. I was next.. but class was over. Whew!!

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 10:12 pm

Thanks Christine, I got the email, with your reply, although I have no idea why I do not see it here posted, or my reply post to yours. Must be that Fish rag DR>>LOL

• Chuck SmithJune 09, 2014 - 11:22 am

Swimming pools have come a long ways. I just watched a couple of videos where the pool is hidden one by a mechanical deck that slides to reveal the pool and another , the patio deck starts to submerge and becomes the pool.. It's amazing to watch the videos.

California wildfire crews brace for weather shift

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

LA County sheriff’s deputies testing body cameras

Bear suspected to have killed New Jersey hiker

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Poll: Support for gay marriage may be leveling off

Islamic State militants kill 40 Iraqi troops

Sierra Leone, Liberia brace for new Ebola cases

Islamist group kidnaps Frenchman in Algeria

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 3 Comments | Gallery

Pennsylvania governor confident ambush suspect will be caught

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Focus on UVa employee in student’s disappearance

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

State police: 3 missing Afghan soldiers in custody

Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in intruder case

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Islamic State offensive poses problems for Turkey

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Study links changing winds to warming in Pacific

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Crews work to clear debris from Shasta mudslide

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Editorial cartoon for Sept. 23, 2014

By Daily Republic Syndicated Content | From Page:

Still searching for the bottom in Iraq

By John M. Crisp | From Page: , 1 Comment

Academia needs to act to protect college women

By Dan K. Thomasson | From Page:

Question of the week: Will the drought end this year?

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Today in History: Sept. 23, 2014

Community Calendar: Sept. 23, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page:

Horoscopes: Sept. 23, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B7

Kris Jenner files to divorce Bruce Jenner

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Alaska TV reporter quits on air to promote pot

Shonda Rhimes lays claim to Thursday nights on ABC

By Frazier Moore | From Page: | Gallery

Giuliani to help fight Noriega’s video game suit

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

‘The Lion King’ earns record box office

Eric Lynch, Howard Stern’s diminutive foil, dies

TVGrid Sept 23

Giants get closer, beat Dodgers 5-2 in 13 innings

Prep boys water polo: Mustangs go 3-0 in Dixon tourney

By Daily Republic staff | From Page:

Prep boys soccer: Mustangs hold Indians to 0-0 draw

By Daily Republic staff | From Page:

MNF: Bears hold on to beat Jets 27-19

Jeff Samardzija pitches A’s past Angels 8-4

Nebraska’s Abdullah: Jameis Winston must grow up

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Raiders have to settle for moral victory

Home of 49ers lineman Ray McDonald burglarized

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment

Undisciplined play sends 49ers to 1-2 start

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Kicking game: It is called football, after all

By Barry Wilner | From Page:

US Soccer stands by Solo decision

FIFA ethics judge hesitates on World Cup

Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoffs

Royals beat Indians 2-0, gain on Tigers

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Bettman says NHL proactive about off-ice conduct

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Silver: NBA will review domestic violence policies

Concern over McIlroy, McDowell more about results

By The Associated Press | From Page:

NFL vetting process: There are no sure things

Owner: ‘No misinformation’ by Ravens on Rice

This date in sports history for Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Kent creates scholarship for Cal women’s athletics

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Treasury to unveil steps to curb tax inversions

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Tesco suspends execs over inflated profit report

GM expert says 21 deaths eligible for compensation

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Apple: 10 million iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sold

By The Associated Press | From Page:

US existing home sales fall in August

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Investors fret Yahoo’s future, stock dips

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Businesses and investors pressing for green policy

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery