Saturday, December 27, 2014

Swimming at Fairfield Plunge helped locals beat heat

swim

From page A2 | May 16, 2014 |

Then-13-year-old JoAnn Curley christened the $120,000 Fairfield Plunge swimming pool at its dedication May 30, 1958, by being the first to dive in. Curley earned that honor by winning a naming contest run by the city. She was also awarded free admission for one year.

The germ of the idea for a swimming pool built by the city could be traced back to 1949. Actually, the pool was supposed to have opened in 1957 and consequently the Fairfield City Council, including Councilman Allan Witt – later the namesake for the park the Plunge was in, voted to fine the builders $25 per day (total: $7,175) for every day the project was tardy, as per the contract.

Actually, while Curley officially christened the pool, a few weeks earlier, five Fairfield youths were busted swimming there before the grand opening.

Residents have tried to beat the heat in pools, at the lake and anywhere else they could find cool water. Some shared:

Dale Poncy: We used to sneak into the Armijo pool at night. We got away with it until we decided to start jumping off of the high dive – it was easy to see us while driving down Texas Street.

Daniel Forbes: In the summer of ‘64, I was at Crystal perfecting my back flip from the edge of the deep end. I jumped backward and everything went black. My feet had slipped out from under me as I jumped and my head smashed into the edge of the pool. I was sinking when someone jerked me to the surface. It wasn’t the lifeguard or my parents or even my friend, it was the brother of the redheads, Sherman Arnold. He saw me hit and went after me before any other responder could. They put 12 stitches in the top of my head. Fifty years have passed since that hot summer day, and I just wanted to say, “Sherman, wherever you are, thank you,” one more time.

Thomas Balmer: The Crystal Plunge, then the Fairfield Plunge, then hanging out at Paul’s Boat Harbor in Suisun and water skiing in the slough and at Berryessa. And then occasional trips to the beach in Marin or Sonoma County. Kids used to say Fairfield was nowhere, but I always knew it was smack in the middle of everything cool.

Jeanine Del Ponte: The Plunge was so fun. I learned how to swim there just by watching others swim. We would stay till we were prune-like and fried like a chicken. Sometimes we’d get Dairy Queen ice cream on the way home.

Donna Ingram: In the summer of 1966, I had a huge crush on Richie Meints – a bronzed, golden blond god. Every day I would walk to the Fairfield Plunge, spot Richie, and casually lay my towel near his while he was diving. I don’t think I ever went in the water, but I would tan (and roast in the heat), watching him dive until it was time to go home. Ah, sweet puppy love!

Dennis Smith: The Armijo pool was built when I was there, but I don’t think the heater was built until after I graduated.

Gary Falati: The old Fairfield Plunge was the cheapest baby-sitting service at the time in the city. For a child to be able to stay alone at the Plunge, they had to demonstrate they could swim across the pool without any assistance. Parents quickly figured out that by enrolling their child in a two-week swim class, the child could learn how to swim across the pool. We changed the policy to reflect a minimum age for admittance without an adult.

Keith Hayes: Around 1950-51, the nearest public swimming pool was in Vacaville and had just a thin wall separating the boys’ and girls’ dressing areas. Over the years, boys had tried to carve peepholes through the wall. One day one of the boys found a peephole and decided to look through it. When he started to peek, one of the girls blew face powder into the hole. It took about 20 minutes before he could see out of that eye. One Peeping Tom cured.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at toekneeweighed@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 6:48 am

That was way before my time up here (76). Was the Plunge in the same location that the Allen Witt Pool is now???

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 7:01 pm

Again Y'all, WHERE WAS IT LOCATED, where Allen Witt's is now??? I Googled, but found nothing???!!!

• Tony WadeMay 16, 2014 - 11:19 pm

Yes, that is where it was.

• Christine in FFMay 16, 2014 - 11:44 pm

SK~ I'm curious how you use this site. Do you have the commentary section bookmarked or do you go back to the article every time? I have "commentary" bookmarked and use that most of the time. I can always see my comment there but not in the actual article comments. Weird!

• S KMay 17, 2014 - 7:53 am

I have the DR bookmarked, then go to whichever article and post from there. But I only do this if I have read something of interest in the paper, but alas on Tuesdays I haven't a choice, having to read the entire thing online. I think my Wife just skips the Tuesday edition. Even though she finally got on the internet ship (Gave her an IPad that she was finally interested in) she considers it too much of a hassle. If they ever cut out another day, I will just end our subscription altogether.

• Christine in FFMay 17, 2014 - 10:42 am

SK~ on the left side of the page where all the links are, click on commentary, it takes you to all the comments on all the articles in order as they are written. When a comment doesn't show up in an article, it is usually posted there. I recommend bookmarking that page and trying it out. Much easier to navigate through the articles that have been commented on. Let me know what you think!

• KenRMay 16, 2014 - 2:45 pm

I took swimming lessons at FF Plunge in the summer of '61. In subsequent years had a season pass to Crystal Plunge. I knew Sherman Arnold, I probably was there the day that one guy hit his head on the side of the pool, spent the summer of '64 in that pool at 10 y/o.

• S.B.May 16, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Took beginning swimming lessons there at least twice in late 60's.first class in the am.. walked from my house on 4th street.. . never caught on. But still liked to go.. just never in the deep end.. I almost had to when gary falati substuted for our swim teacher and was having my fellow classmates jump off the low dive.. or he would drop u in himself. I was next.. but class was over. Whew!!

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 10:12 pm

Thanks Christine, I got the email, with your reply, although I have no idea why I do not see it here posted, or my reply post to yours. Must be that Fish rag DR>>LOL

• Chuck SmithJune 09, 2014 - 11:22 am

Swimming pools have come a long ways. I just watched a couple of videos where the pool is hidden one by a mechanical deck that slides to reveal the pool and another , the patio deck starts to submerge and becomes the pool.. It's amazing to watch the videos.

Suisun Valley celebrates appellation’s anniversary

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Girl’s selfless act boosts Suisun Wildlife Center

Car rolls over on Highway 113

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Beer for 1st butterfly of year challenge returns

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3 | Gallery

SF Giants championship trophy coming to Vacaville

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Fire damages Fairfield home

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Fairfield man killed after family gathering in Napa

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A4, 6 Comments

Suisun City police log: Dec. 25, 2014

Fairfield police log: Dec. 25, 2014

California braces for first widespread frost

California gears up for migrant driver’s licenses

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 4 Comments

4 dead in fiery Northern California car crash

Police officer shoots woman in leg in Hollywood

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 3 Comments

Inmate breaks out of jail through ventilation duct

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

People slide down bedsheets to escape motel fire

Court: LA Police Department policy for impounding cars is OK

Scientists target mess from Christmas tree needles

Baby ostracized by other gorillas will switch zoos

Thousands attend 8-hour wake for slain NYC officer

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Study: Marijuana use has increased in Colorado

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

Dog not gone: Rescue in the Columbia Gorge

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Bodies of woman, 3 grandsons found in burned home

Truck crashes into home; 93-year-old resident dies

Lawmakers promise to help strapped oil-patch towns

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Feline fame in cyberspace gives species a boost

At 101, dedicated union rep is calling it quits

Can GOP shatter ‘Obama coalition’ in 2016?

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 2 Comments

GPS used to track some immigrants caught at border

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

10th anniversary of tsunami is marked with tears

A proud man, a good honorable man

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 24 Comments

Sony hack is reminder of broader Sony dysfunction

By William Pesek | From Page: A8

Today in History: Dec. 27, 2014

Community Calendar: Dec. 27, 2014

Horoscopes: Dec. 27, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B5

Remember, caregivers need some care attention, too

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B5

Globetrotters’ Robert ‘Showboat’ Hall dies

NC State wins Bitcoin Bowl to cap turnaround year

Rutgers beats North Carolina in Quick Lane Bowl

La. Tech beats Illinois 35-18 in Heart of Dallas Bowl

Arizona’s Lindley back at starter, Stanton has infection

Prep JV boys basketball: Vanden gets win in Dixon tourney

Could Watt be 1st NFL MVP from defense since Taylor in 1986?

Dan Uggla joins Nationals for minor league deal

Georgia’s Richt: RB Todd Gurley heading to NFL

Slumping New Jersey Devils fire coach Pete DeBoer

No. 1 Kentucky, No. 4 Louisville resume rivalry

Raiders rookie CB makes most of opportunity

High-scoring offenses create longer college games

Anderson: post-game petulance was out of character

This date in sports history for Saturday, Dec. 27, 2014

Weather for Saturday, Dec. 27, 2014

In 2014, US economy began shaky, finished strong

Holiday deliveries improve but hiccups continue

Missouri 1st to see average gas price below $2