Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Swimming at Fairfield Plunge helped locals beat heat

swim

From page A2 | May 16, 2014 |

Then-13-year-old JoAnn Curley christened the $120,000 Fairfield Plunge swimming pool at its dedication May 30, 1958, by being the first to dive in. Curley earned that honor by winning a naming contest run by the city. She was also awarded free admission for one year.

The germ of the idea for a swimming pool built by the city could be traced back to 1949. Actually, the pool was supposed to have opened in 1957 and consequently the Fairfield City Council, including Councilman Allan Witt – later the namesake for the park the Plunge was in, voted to fine the builders $25 per day (total: $7,175) for every day the project was tardy, as per the contract.

Actually, while Curley officially christened the pool, a few weeks earlier, five Fairfield youths were busted swimming there before the grand opening.

Residents have tried to beat the heat in pools, at the lake and anywhere else they could find cool water. Some shared:

Dale Poncy: We used to sneak into the Armijo pool at night. We got away with it until we decided to start jumping off of the high dive – it was easy to see us while driving down Texas Street.

Daniel Forbes: In the summer of ‘64, I was at Crystal perfecting my back flip from the edge of the deep end. I jumped backward and everything went black. My feet had slipped out from under me as I jumped and my head smashed into the edge of the pool. I was sinking when someone jerked me to the surface. It wasn’t the lifeguard or my parents or even my friend, it was the brother of the redheads, Sherman Arnold. He saw me hit and went after me before any other responder could. They put 12 stitches in the top of my head. Fifty years have passed since that hot summer day, and I just wanted to say, “Sherman, wherever you are, thank you,” one more time.

Thomas Balmer: The Crystal Plunge, then the Fairfield Plunge, then hanging out at Paul’s Boat Harbor in Suisun and water skiing in the slough and at Berryessa. And then occasional trips to the beach in Marin or Sonoma County. Kids used to say Fairfield was nowhere, but I always knew it was smack in the middle of everything cool.

Jeanine Del Ponte: The Plunge was so fun. I learned how to swim there just by watching others swim. We would stay till we were prune-like and fried like a chicken. Sometimes we’d get Dairy Queen ice cream on the way home.

Donna Ingram: In the summer of 1966, I had a huge crush on Richie Meints – a bronzed, golden blond god. Every day I would walk to the Fairfield Plunge, spot Richie, and casually lay my towel near his while he was diving. I don’t think I ever went in the water, but I would tan (and roast in the heat), watching him dive until it was time to go home. Ah, sweet puppy love!

Dennis Smith: The Armijo pool was built when I was there, but I don’t think the heater was built until after I graduated.

Gary Falati: The old Fairfield Plunge was the cheapest baby-sitting service at the time in the city. For a child to be able to stay alone at the Plunge, they had to demonstrate they could swim across the pool without any assistance. Parents quickly figured out that by enrolling their child in a two-week swim class, the child could learn how to swim across the pool. We changed the policy to reflect a minimum age for admittance without an adult.

Keith Hayes: Around 1950-51, the nearest public swimming pool was in Vacaville and had just a thin wall separating the boys’ and girls’ dressing areas. Over the years, boys had tried to carve peepholes through the wall. One day one of the boys found a peephole and decided to look through it. When he started to peek, one of the girls blew face powder into the hole. It took about 20 minutes before he could see out of that eye. One Peeping Tom cured.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at toekneeweighed@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 6:48 am

That was way before my time up here (76). Was the Plunge in the same location that the Allen Witt Pool is now???

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 7:01 pm

Again Y'all, WHERE WAS IT LOCATED, where Allen Witt's is now??? I Googled, but found nothing???!!!

• Tony WadeMay 16, 2014 - 11:19 pm

Yes, that is where it was.

• Christine in FFMay 16, 2014 - 11:44 pm

SK~ I'm curious how you use this site. Do you have the commentary section bookmarked or do you go back to the article every time? I have "commentary" bookmarked and use that most of the time. I can always see my comment there but not in the actual article comments. Weird!

• S KMay 17, 2014 - 7:53 am

I have the DR bookmarked, then go to whichever article and post from there. But I only do this if I have read something of interest in the paper, but alas on Tuesdays I haven't a choice, having to read the entire thing online. I think my Wife just skips the Tuesday edition. Even though she finally got on the internet ship (Gave her an IPad that she was finally interested in) she considers it too much of a hassle. If they ever cut out another day, I will just end our subscription altogether.

• Christine in FFMay 17, 2014 - 10:42 am

SK~ on the left side of the page where all the links are, click on commentary, it takes you to all the comments on all the articles in order as they are written. When a comment doesn't show up in an article, it is usually posted there. I recommend bookmarking that page and trying it out. Much easier to navigate through the articles that have been commented on. Let me know what you think!

• KenRMay 16, 2014 - 2:45 pm

I took swimming lessons at FF Plunge in the summer of '61. In subsequent years had a season pass to Crystal Plunge. I knew Sherman Arnold, I probably was there the day that one guy hit his head on the side of the pool, spent the summer of '64 in that pool at 10 y/o.

• S.B.May 16, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Took beginning swimming lessons there at least twice in late 60's.first class in the am.. walked from my house on 4th street.. . never caught on. But still liked to go.. just never in the deep end.. I almost had to when gary falati substuted for our swim teacher and was having my fellow classmates jump off the low dive.. or he would drop u in himself. I was next.. but class was over. Whew!!

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 10:12 pm

Thanks Christine, I got the email, with your reply, although I have no idea why I do not see it here posted, or my reply post to yours. Must be that Fish rag DR>>LOL

• Chuck SmithJune 09, 2014 - 11:22 am

Swimming pools have come a long ways. I just watched a couple of videos where the pool is hidden one by a mechanical deck that slides to reveal the pool and another , the patio deck starts to submerge and becomes the pool.. It's amazing to watch the videos.

Health officials report 1st Solano flu death

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Fairfield man who says he accidentally kicked woman, faces charges

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A5 | Gallery

American Legion Post schedules head-shaving fundraiser

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A6

Rush Ranch seeks docents

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A2

Dramas, thrillers lead week’s box office openings

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B6

Vacaville Toastmasters welcome guests

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6

Kroc Health Fair offers free screenings

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1

Chipotle fundraiser to benefit Armijo newspaper

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6

Vacaville council eyes earlier start time

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page:

Facebook suffers outage affecting users worldwide

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Private wells in California farm area show high uranium

Budget for Koch-backed network: almost $1 billion for 2016

Ex-Army prosecutor found guilty of rape at court-martial

California may dam 3 Delta channels, if drought persists

Law enforcement wants popular police-tracking app disabled

Gov’t to overhaul Medicare payments to doctors, hospitals

Cuban youth build secret computer network despite Wi-Fi ban

Seekers of the Hollywood Sign disrupt nearby neighborhood

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2 | Gallery

2 small planes crash-land off Hawaii; all aboard survive

Report: State worker sent alarming notes before gun arrest

Panic attack, bad back: Theater shooting brings jury excuses

Lawyer: Boy Scout files depict ‘sordid’ history of abuse

Dwindling group of survivors to mark Auschwitz 70 years on

New Jersey’s Christie launches political action committee

US drone strikes resume in Yemen despite turmoil

Monster snowstorm swirls into densely populated Northeast US

Kurds celebrate ousting Islamic State fighters from Kobani

Man takes responsibility for drone over White House

2 sides to state highways rehab backlog

By Dan Walters | From Page: A11

Community Calendar: Jan. 27, 2015

Petty earns writing credit for Sam Smith’s ‘Stay With Me’

National Cowboy Poetry Gathering begins in northeast Nevada

Trainor and Styles write a duet about heartbreak

Emma Watson to star in live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’

SAG Awards win sends ‘Birdman’ Oscar hopes soaring

Cumberbatch says sorry for calling black actors ‘colored’

A murder at the edge of the world takes ‘Fortitude’ to crack

Lawyers: Melissa Rivers files lawsuit in mother Joan’s death

Sundance Watch: ‘Cobain’ premieres, women talk Hollywood

TVGrid Jan 27

Manfred knows he’ll get hit as commish _ his name is on ball

NASCAR to leave championship format unchanged in 2015

Kobe Bryant to have shoulder surgery, likely out for season

Tim Brown hopes 6th time is charm in Hall of Fame vote

Raiders sign Charles Woodson for 2015 season

Rams notify St. Louis they’ll go year-to-year on dome lease

Gamecocks still No. 1; Chattanooga joins women’s hoops poll

Scott Dixon shines in masterful final drive in Rolex win

LeBron, Cavs climb in standings, back in title conversation

Capitals among East contenders; West race too tight to call

Playoff not interested in moving semis of New Year’s Eve

Fireworks help celebrate Venus Williams’ Australian Open run

US women to host New Zealand, Ireland, Mexico, South Korea

NBA D-League All-Star events set for Feb. 15 in Brooklyn

AP Source: Los Angeles Kings release Mike Richards

Hope Solo could be left off US World Cup roster

Employers: Agreement made on key issue in port labor dispute

Lyft cars doing away with pink furry mustache

California draws $3.2 billion in federal health subsidies

Hard Rock (again) dips toe into Atlantic City casino market

US stock market finishes with small gains

IBM disputes report that big layoffs coming

Union says California Kaiser nurses reach contract agreement

Boeing, SpaceX will beat Russia on price for astronaut rides

CBO: Deficit to shrink to lowest level of Obama presidency

Eurozone looks for dialogue after stunning Greece elections

S&P downgrades Russia credit rating to junk

Donald Wesley Johnson