Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Swimming at Fairfield Plunge helped locals beat heat

swim

From page A2 | May 16, 2014 |

Then-13-year-old JoAnn Curley christened the $120,000 Fairfield Plunge swimming pool at its dedication May 30, 1958, by being the first to dive in. Curley earned that honor by winning a naming contest run by the city. She was also awarded free admission for one year.

The germ of the idea for a swimming pool built by the city could be traced back to 1949. Actually, the pool was supposed to have opened in 1957 and consequently the Fairfield City Council, including Councilman Allan Witt – later the namesake for the park the Plunge was in, voted to fine the builders $25 per day (total: $7,175) for every day the project was tardy, as per the contract.

Actually, while Curley officially christened the pool, a few weeks earlier, five Fairfield youths were busted swimming there before the grand opening.

Residents have tried to beat the heat in pools, at the lake and anywhere else they could find cool water. Some shared:

Dale Poncy: We used to sneak into the Armijo pool at night. We got away with it until we decided to start jumping off of the high dive – it was easy to see us while driving down Texas Street.

Daniel Forbes: In the summer of ‘64, I was at Crystal perfecting my back flip from the edge of the deep end. I jumped backward and everything went black. My feet had slipped out from under me as I jumped and my head smashed into the edge of the pool. I was sinking when someone jerked me to the surface. It wasn’t the lifeguard or my parents or even my friend, it was the brother of the redheads, Sherman Arnold. He saw me hit and went after me before any other responder could. They put 12 stitches in the top of my head. Fifty years have passed since that hot summer day, and I just wanted to say, “Sherman, wherever you are, thank you,” one more time.

Thomas Balmer: The Crystal Plunge, then the Fairfield Plunge, then hanging out at Paul’s Boat Harbor in Suisun and water skiing in the slough and at Berryessa. And then occasional trips to the beach in Marin or Sonoma County. Kids used to say Fairfield was nowhere, but I always knew it was smack in the middle of everything cool.

Jeanine Del Ponte: The Plunge was so fun. I learned how to swim there just by watching others swim. We would stay till we were prune-like and fried like a chicken. Sometimes we’d get Dairy Queen ice cream on the way home.

Donna Ingram: In the summer of 1966, I had a huge crush on Richie Meints – a bronzed, golden blond god. Every day I would walk to the Fairfield Plunge, spot Richie, and casually lay my towel near his while he was diving. I don’t think I ever went in the water, but I would tan (and roast in the heat), watching him dive until it was time to go home. Ah, sweet puppy love!

Dennis Smith: The Armijo pool was built when I was there, but I don’t think the heater was built until after I graduated.

Gary Falati: The old Fairfield Plunge was the cheapest baby-sitting service at the time in the city. For a child to be able to stay alone at the Plunge, they had to demonstrate they could swim across the pool without any assistance. Parents quickly figured out that by enrolling their child in a two-week swim class, the child could learn how to swim across the pool. We changed the policy to reflect a minimum age for admittance without an adult.

Keith Hayes: Around 1950-51, the nearest public swimming pool was in Vacaville and had just a thin wall separating the boys’ and girls’ dressing areas. Over the years, boys had tried to carve peepholes through the wall. One day one of the boys found a peephole and decided to look through it. When he started to peek, one of the girls blew face powder into the hole. It took about 20 minutes before he could see out of that eye. One Peeping Tom cured.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at toekneeweighed@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 6:48 am

That was way before my time up here (76). Was the Plunge in the same location that the Allen Witt Pool is now???

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 7:01 pm

Again Y'all, WHERE WAS IT LOCATED, where Allen Witt's is now??? I Googled, but found nothing???!!!

• Tony WadeMay 16, 2014 - 11:19 pm

Yes, that is where it was.

• Christine in FFMay 16, 2014 - 11:44 pm

SK~ I'm curious how you use this site. Do you have the commentary section bookmarked or do you go back to the article every time? I have "commentary" bookmarked and use that most of the time. I can always see my comment there but not in the actual article comments. Weird!

• S KMay 17, 2014 - 7:53 am

I have the DR bookmarked, then go to whichever article and post from there. But I only do this if I have read something of interest in the paper, but alas on Tuesdays I haven't a choice, having to read the entire thing online. I think my Wife just skips the Tuesday edition. Even though she finally got on the internet ship (Gave her an IPad that she was finally interested in) she considers it too much of a hassle. If they ever cut out another day, I will just end our subscription altogether.

• Christine in FFMay 17, 2014 - 10:42 am

SK~ on the left side of the page where all the links are, click on commentary, it takes you to all the comments on all the articles in order as they are written. When a comment doesn't show up in an article, it is usually posted there. I recommend bookmarking that page and trying it out. Much easier to navigate through the articles that have been commented on. Let me know what you think!

• KenRMay 16, 2014 - 2:45 pm

I took swimming lessons at FF Plunge in the summer of '61. In subsequent years had a season pass to Crystal Plunge. I knew Sherman Arnold, I probably was there the day that one guy hit his head on the side of the pool, spent the summer of '64 in that pool at 10 y/o.

• S.B.May 16, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Took beginning swimming lessons there at least twice in late 60's.first class in the am.. walked from my house on 4th street.. . never caught on. But still liked to go.. just never in the deep end.. I almost had to when gary falati substuted for our swim teacher and was having my fellow classmates jump off the low dive.. or he would drop u in himself. I was next.. but class was over. Whew!!

• S KMay 16, 2014 - 10:12 pm

Thanks Christine, I got the email, with your reply, although I have no idea why I do not see it here posted, or my reply post to yours. Must be that Fish rag DR>>LOL

• Chuck SmithJune 09, 2014 - 11:22 am

Swimming pools have come a long ways. I just watched a couple of videos where the pool is hidden one by a mechanical deck that slides to reveal the pool and another , the patio deck starts to submerge and becomes the pool.. It's amazing to watch the videos.

Solano County Fair set to open Wednesday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Marketing study looks at Berryessa resorts

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Library teens plan summer reading party

By Glen Faison | From Page: A3

Fairfield tries to end Cordelia Road detour

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 15 Comments | Gallery

Caltrans makes I-80 lane change

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 5 Comments

Rio Vista woman died in Suisun City crash

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Police arrest suspected intruder

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Activity is Medicine program coming to Suisun senior center

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Big-rig crash shuts down freeway onramp

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Big-rig driver strikes telephone lines in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A6, 2 Comments | Gallery

Icon sends first A5 into the skies on maiden flight

By Susan Winlow | From Page: B7

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ primed for big screen

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: July 27, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: June 27, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Fairfield police log: July 28, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: July 28, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Weather for Wedneday, July 30, 2014

Hamas demands for cease-fire and Israel’s concerns

Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed

Fist bumps less germy than handshakes, study says

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2 | Gallery

New California fines for wasting water take effect

California lifeguard injured by lightning improves

PG&E charged with obstruction over San Bruno blast

Chevron California refinery overhaul up for vote

4 charged with murder in death of USC student

Crews make gains on 2 California wildfires

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8 | Gallery

Tuberculosis patient who refused care is arrested

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8 | Gallery

Last crew member of Enola Gay dies in Georgia

Poll: Immigration concerns rise with tide of kids

By The Associated Press | From Page: A9 | Gallery

Shelling adds to mounting civilian toll in Ukraine

US, Europe impose tough new sanctions on Russia

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Senate confirms McDonald as VA secretary

By The Associated Press | From Page: A12 | Gallery

Body of young stowaway found in US cargo plane

Report: Health premiums rose significantly in 2014

Highway, bridge money at risk: Senate to vote

Senate bill would end NSA phone records collection

Generation of tanners see spike in deadly melanoma

Liberians in US worry about Ebola outbreak

Top doctor dies from Ebola after treating dozens

Some people have missed the drought memo

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

What kids don’t know would shock you

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Cemetery support committee thanks sponsors

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

What to do when ‘it’ hits the fan

By Barton Goldsmith | From Page: A2

Music aside, Queen of Soul is pumped for fair food

Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 1 Comment | Gallery

‘Sharknado’ sequel has bite and lots of laughs

By Frazier Moore | From Page: A7 | Gallery

49ers WR Brandon Lloyd enjoying return to NFL

Schaub settles in as Raiders starting QB

Fairfield Indians blank Next Level Athletic to win SRL tournament title

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: B1 | Gallery

NCAA settles head-injury suit, will change rules

No joke: Kings’ Cousins hopes for Team USA shot

Liriano fans 11 in Pirates’ 3-1 win

Athletics rally for 6 runs in 9th, beat Astros 7-4

Husband arrested in death of NBA player’s aunt

Triple-A brawl results in 11 suspensions

Broken water main floods UCLA; 5 people rescued

49ers sign former Cardinals RB Alfonso Smith

Vin Scully to return for 66th season in LA in 2015

Mudcats tie Vacaville Admirals

This date in sports history for Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Study: 35 percent in US facing debt collectors

McDonald’s could be liable for labor practices

Food writers subpoenaed in ‘pink slime’ lawsuit

Stocks end lower ahead of economic data

Twitter 2Q results soar, stock flies high