Sunday, January 25, 2015

Strike a pose: My life as a statue

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | January 05, 2014 |

At age 13, I found bliss. Because, at that age, there’s nothing better than having leverage on an older sibling.

I have three sisters. They’re all older. So I was the only boy and the youngest, which meant trouble.

My next-oldest sister was the object of my discovery: I realized that I could drive her crazy by posing as a statue.

Seriously. A statue. Like the Statue of Liberty. Or the Sphinx.

Or Michael Spinks, in that fight against Mike Tyson.

Routinely, I would start to say something, then pause and freeze. And hold it while my sister got mad.

You know those guys who pose as statues on Pier 39? They’ve got nothing on me. They get money from generous passers-by, but I got angry outbursts from my sister, which was better than money or even baseball cards.

My sister and I were pretty close. We still are – she lives in Vallejo and we see each other often. We never had a fierce rivalry, although a dark episode from my early childhood – involving her making my stick horse into a “bridge” between our twin beds, then bouncing on it until it broke – strained our relationship for years. It occasionally comes up in family conversations (OK, it always comes up and I’m always the one who brings it up. It pained me.).

Still, when I discovered that I could walk into a room where she was watching TV (perhaps a soap opera, perhaps “The Love Boat” or “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.” Perhaps something else.) and get her infuriated by merely striking a pose, it was awesome. It didn’t require me to say anything. I didn’t have to get between her and the 13-inch screen. I just posed (had I been born 15 years later, I would have been doing a “Vogue”) and waited.

Inevitably, she’d get angry. She’d shout at me. She’d tell me how stupid I was. Ultimately, she would walk over and push me, making me break the pose.

And I would then continue, as if I didn’t know I’d posed. It was a hilarious comedy bit where time stood still for me, but not for her.

It’s simple and it’s stupid.

But it was brilliant.

Decades later, when I see my sister, I occasionally break into the pose. I’ll tell her something new, get partway through, and freeze.

She laughs about it, but inside, I know the truth.

It still bugs her. And if it was socially acceptable, she would still push me.

There is still – decades after I discovered the secret – something magical about being able to irritate a sibling on demand.

If my older sister reads this, I hope she knows that despite all the problems I cause her, I still lo . . .

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or bstanhope@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is a former Daily Republic editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 24 years as a sports editor, associate editor and news editor before leaving the Daily Republic in 2014. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• Turn to StoneJanuary 05, 2014 - 11:24 am

• J. Geils Band - Freeze FrameJanuary 05, 2014 - 1:18 pm

• Allison Stanhope WyrickJanuary 05, 2014 - 11:28 am

I love this. I still remember you as that curly haired cousin from California :)) But I see now where my father got his humor. Must be genetic.

• Living statues - Human statues in AssenJanuary 05, 2014 - 9:22 pm

• I Stanhope, I mean Sure Hope U Like ThisJanuary 05, 2014 - 9:36 pm

Mr. Brad plans to start his own "Mr Brad's Downtown Fairfield Improvement District" to be located along the Brad Stanhop Walkway Promenade. He will be posing as "The Human Statue of the Week" all his Busker earnings will go towards his dream of opening a Cheese Emporium in Beautiful Downtown Fairfield!.....Please be sure to give generously everyone!.....I am tired Good Evening All....( His first pose will be as an Iranian Space Monkey, I mean Man )

• Gallery-Nice To Be With YouJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:24 am

Nursing students take next step in higher education

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1 | Gallery

Friend seeks justice for 1982 Vacaville homicide victim

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1, 12 Comments | Gallery

Solano GOP welcomes address from King niece

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A1, 4 Comments | Gallery

Biggest Little Car Show returns for 31st year

Solano Safety Net Summit set in Fairfield downtown

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3

Wine, chocolate pairing comes to downtown Benicia

Local gas prices dip below $2 a gallon

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Be heart smart all year long

By Gerald Bourne, MD | From Page: C4

Kindergarten Readiness Roundup enlightens parents

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Weather for Sunday, Jan. 25, 2015

Crews respond to residential fire

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A4 | Gallery

CHP seeks witnesses to I-80 crash

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

City seeks input on downtown plan

By Brian Miller and Karl Dumas | From Page: B7, 2 Comments

Fairfield police log: Jan. 23, 2015

Suisun City police log: Jan. 23, 2015

Privatized housing tenants to feel BAH pinch

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

Suisun City police log: Jan. 22, 2015

Airman with Fairfield tie completes training

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B10

Abe ‘speechless’ after video claims IS hostage dead

It’s a hoot hanging out with owls at this Tokyo cafe

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2 | Gallery

Man searching by plane finds body of missing son off Mexico

Kia recalling nearly 87,000 Fortes because of fire risk

Elon Musk’s SpaceX drops lawsuit against Air Force

California’s public-worker payroll increased post-recession

Avian flu confirmed in commercial turkey flock in California

Boy, 13, arrested in fatal stabbing near Los Angeles school

Abortion opponents express renewed hope at SF rally

School: Sea otter conceived in wild is 1st born in captivity

Company seeks rights to names of iconic Grand Canyon lodges

Expert says King Tut mask can be restored after epoxy used

Obama to cut short India trip to pay call on Saudi Arabia

GOP presses state bills limiting gay rights before ruling

1st attempt to lift fuselage of crashed AirAsia plane fails

Tens of thousands protest after president resigns in Yemen

Thousands march against socialist president in Venezuela

Rockets kill 30 in Ukrainian city as rebels launch offensive

Plea for return of stolen statue

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Not all police are bad

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 10 Comments

Editorial Cartoon: Jan. 25, 2015

Sound off for Jan. 25, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Today in History: Jan. 25, 2015

Community Calendar: Jan. 25, 2015

The gift of a new beginning

By Dalia Adams | From Page: C3, 1 Comment

Mennonite group to build houses in tornado-damaged town

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Yearbooks bring Jewish, Catholic groups together

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Horoscope Jan. 25, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

My dad can’t get over the bad first impression of my boyfriend

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Mariel Hemingway working on memoir and young adult novel

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Jonathan Franzen to appear at BookExpo America

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Thompson’s record 3rd quarter leads Warriors past Kings

Belichick on deflated balls: ‘We try to do everything right’

By The Associated Press | From Page: B1, 4 Comments | Gallery

25 years of trying to get it right

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1, 3 Comments | Gallery

Sharapova, Bouchard into quarterfinals at Australian Open

2 Williams sisters, 2 Madisons into 4th round at Aussie Open

Hall of Famer Ernie Banks mourned in sports world and beyond

AP Interview: Selig says MLB could expand internationally

Could Super Bowl be Lynch’s finale in Seattle?

Sherman, Seahawks take the trash-talk lead over Patriots

Shortstop Troy Tulowitzki’s surgically repaired hip on mend

Buckeyes celebrate their title at Ohio Stadium

Carroll, Belichick excelled after failing the first time

Luck-led Team Carter vs. Romo-lead Team Irvin in Pro Bowl

Grace wins Qatar Masters by 1 stroke

Matt Kuchar stumbles in, gives away Humana Challenge lead

For streaking Atlanta Hawks, it’s all about the balance

Sports on TV for Sunday, Jan. 25, 2015

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B5

This date in sports history for Jan. 25, 2015

Anheuser-Busch to buy craft beer company

Higher standard deduction, other breaks for older taxpayers

Booking a trip to the ER on your smartphone? It’s a breeze

Recalls this week: cleaners, fitness machines

Tiny Cokes: Less guilt means more money for makers