Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Strike a pose: My life as a statue

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | January 05, 2014 |

At age 13, I found bliss. Because, at that age, there’s nothing better than having leverage on an older sibling.

I have three sisters. They’re all older. So I was the only boy and the youngest, which meant trouble.

My next-oldest sister was the object of my discovery: I realized that I could drive her crazy by posing as a statue.

Seriously. A statue. Like the Statue of Liberty. Or the Sphinx.

Or Michael Spinks, in that fight against Mike Tyson.

Routinely, I would start to say something, then pause and freeze. And hold it while my sister got mad.

You know those guys who pose as statues on Pier 39? They’ve got nothing on me. They get money from generous passers-by, but I got angry outbursts from my sister, which was better than money or even baseball cards.

My sister and I were pretty close. We still are – she lives in Vallejo and we see each other often. We never had a fierce rivalry, although a dark episode from my early childhood – involving her making my stick horse into a “bridge” between our twin beds, then bouncing on it until it broke – strained our relationship for years. It occasionally comes up in family conversations (OK, it always comes up and I’m always the one who brings it up. It pained me.).

Still, when I discovered that I could walk into a room where she was watching TV (perhaps a soap opera, perhaps “The Love Boat” or “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.” Perhaps something else.) and get her infuriated by merely striking a pose, it was awesome. It didn’t require me to say anything. I didn’t have to get between her and the 13-inch screen. I just posed (had I been born 15 years later, I would have been doing a “Vogue”) and waited.

Inevitably, she’d get angry. She’d shout at me. She’d tell me how stupid I was. Ultimately, she would walk over and push me, making me break the pose.

And I would then continue, as if I didn’t know I’d posed. It was a hilarious comedy bit where time stood still for me, but not for her.

It’s simple and it’s stupid.

But it was brilliant.

Decades later, when I see my sister, I occasionally break into the pose. I’ll tell her something new, get partway through, and freeze.

She laughs about it, but inside, I know the truth.

It still bugs her. And if it was socially acceptable, she would still push me.

There is still – decades after I discovered the secret – something magical about being able to irritate a sibling on demand.

If my older sister reads this, I hope she knows that despite all the problems I cause her, I still lo . . .

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is a former Daily Republic editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 24 years as a sports editor, associate editor and news editor before leaving the Daily Republic in 2014. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• Turn to StoneJanuary 05, 2014 - 11:24 am

• J. Geils Band - Freeze FrameJanuary 05, 2014 - 1:18 pm

• Allison Stanhope WyrickJanuary 05, 2014 - 11:28 am

I love this. I still remember you as that curly haired cousin from California :)) But I see now where my father got his humor. Must be genetic.

• Living statues - Human statues in AssenJanuary 05, 2014 - 9:22 pm

• I Stanhope, I mean Sure Hope U Like ThisJanuary 05, 2014 - 9:36 pm

Mr. Brad plans to start his own "Mr Brad's Downtown Fairfield Improvement District" to be located along the Brad Stanhop Walkway Promenade. He will be posing as "The Human Statue of the Week" all his Busker earnings will go towards his dream of opening a Cheese Emporium in Beautiful Downtown Fairfield!.....Please be sure to give generously everyone!.....I am tired Good Evening All....( His first pose will be as an Iranian Space Monkey, I mean Man )

• Gallery-Nice To Be With YouJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:24 am

Explore habitat of bats at special Solano-Yolo event

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7, 3 Comments | Gallery

Train hits car, kills 1

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: , 7 Comments | Gallery

Dollar Tree settles illegal dumping case

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Man walks to bring awareness to need for divorce reform

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3 | Gallery

‘The Mask You Live In’ set for Vacaville premiere

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A2 | Gallery

Woman reported missing in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: | Gallery

Caltrans reminds motorists of Highway 12 bridge work

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Thor, Iron Man, Captain America return to movie screens

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Chambers plans Cinco de Mayo celebration

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A7, 2 Comments

Rio Vista to celebrate endive once again

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A7

Full slate of events on tap in downtown Vacaville

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: April 24, 2015

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Loretta Lynch sworn in as new US attorney general

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 2 Comments

GOP defense budget challenges Obama on Ukraine, Guantanamo

Senate expands community colleges’ reach on sexual assault

Tuna company, 2 employees charged in death of worker in oven

Woman convicted of murder after young daughter disappeared

Ex-Guantanamo detainees in Uruguay protest at US Embassy

Cash handoffs, extortion fuel Mediterranean trafficking

High court rejects appeal from protester at military base

Study blames global warming for 75 percent of very hot days

Nepal quake death toll tops 4,000; villages plead for aid

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 3 Comments | Gallery

Corinthian Colleges closes all 28 remaining campuses

California teen confesses to fatally stabbing 9-year-old boy

New Ellis Island center to complete US immigration story

US, Japan boost defense ties with eyes on China, NKorea

Coast Guard suspends search for 4 missing off Alabama coast

Tiny California tribe turns to adoption to boost revenue

Yemen’s exiled government declares 3 disaster zones

Prosecutor: 2 exams found James Holmes to be sane

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment

Judge won’t delay order on inmate sex reassignment surgery

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 6 Comments | Gallery

Time for multiple-county tourism, arts, downtown project

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

What’s Marco Rubio’s secret?

By Jennifer Rubin | From Page: A11, 8 Comments

Community Calendar: April 28, 2015

Jayne Meadows, actress and TV personality, dies at 95

Winehouse family criticizes ‘misleading’ movie about singer

Singer Jamie Barton wins the ‘Heisman Trophy’ of music

Rushdie chastises authors protesting Hebdo tribute

It’s nail-biting time on Broadway ahead of Tony nominations

‘Black-ish’ creator set to write ‘Good Times’ movie

Don Mankiewicz, Oscar-nominated screenwriter, dies at 93

Salma Hayek hopes ‘The Prophet’ inspires new generations

TVGrid April 28

Dodgers pitcher McCarthy out for season with elbow injury

Sharks near agreement to extend lease in San Jose

Raiders head into draft in need of receiver, pass rusher

Pacquiao, Roach scheme on plan for Mayweather’s defense

A new format, more golf for all at Match Play

Orioles’ game in Baltimore postponed due to safety concerns

Warriors trying to stay sharp while waiting for 2nd round

Kerr wins Rudy Tomjanovich Award from Pro Basketball Writers

Cards ace Adam Wainwright out for season with torn Achilles

Owner Ahmed Zayat takes aim at Kentucky Derby with 3 horses

Equestrian aims for more nations competing at Olympics

Cavaliers move on without Love, out with dislocated shoulder

Redskins to pick up 5th-year option on Robert Griffin III

Rare Honus Wagner baseball card sells for $1.32 million

Arrest warrant sought for UFC champ in hit-and-run crash

Hamilton given back to Texas after troubled Angels stint

89-year-old former Kansas player scores in alumni scrimmage

Arena talks underway in Seattle suburb with eye on hockey

Vegas sets up ‘concentric’ security for upcoming megafight

Packers will retire Favre’s jersey on Thanksgiving

Grizzlies G Mike Conley has facial surgery

Peterson absent but still wanted back by Vikings

Ex-executive gets prison for $27M insider trading scheme

High court to consider lawsuits over personal data

By The Associated Press | From Page: B4, 1 Comment

Discover discovers Apple Pay for its US cardholders

With economy uncertain, no Fed rate hike is seen before fall

Change to Greek bailout negotiating team fuels market hopes

Burger King heats it up with spicy Whopper and sales surge

Forget the watch: Apple’s iPhones are still the main event

Truckers at huge seaport complex strike; impact minimal

ESPN suing Verizon over unbundling of its sports channel

Garfield April 28