Thursday, March 26, 2015

Strike a pose: My life as a statue

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | January 05, 2014 |

At age 13, I found bliss. Because, at that age, there’s nothing better than having leverage on an older sibling.

I have three sisters. They’re all older. So I was the only boy and the youngest, which meant trouble.

My next-oldest sister was the object of my discovery: I realized that I could drive her crazy by posing as a statue.

Seriously. A statue. Like the Statue of Liberty. Or the Sphinx.

Or Michael Spinks, in that fight against Mike Tyson.

Routinely, I would start to say something, then pause and freeze. And hold it while my sister got mad.

You know those guys who pose as statues on Pier 39? They’ve got nothing on me. They get money from generous passers-by, but I got angry outbursts from my sister, which was better than money or even baseball cards.

My sister and I were pretty close. We still are – she lives in Vallejo and we see each other often. We never had a fierce rivalry, although a dark episode from my early childhood – involving her making my stick horse into a “bridge” between our twin beds, then bouncing on it until it broke – strained our relationship for years. It occasionally comes up in family conversations (OK, it always comes up and I’m always the one who brings it up. It pained me.).

Still, when I discovered that I could walk into a room where she was watching TV (perhaps a soap opera, perhaps “The Love Boat” or “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.” Perhaps something else.) and get her infuriated by merely striking a pose, it was awesome. It didn’t require me to say anything. I didn’t have to get between her and the 13-inch screen. I just posed (had I been born 15 years later, I would have been doing a “Vogue”) and waited.

Inevitably, she’d get angry. She’d shout at me. She’d tell me how stupid I was. Ultimately, she would walk over and push me, making me break the pose.

And I would then continue, as if I didn’t know I’d posed. It was a hilarious comedy bit where time stood still for me, but not for her.

It’s simple and it’s stupid.

But it was brilliant.

Decades later, when I see my sister, I occasionally break into the pose. I’ll tell her something new, get partway through, and freeze.

She laughs about it, but inside, I know the truth.

It still bugs her. And if it was socially acceptable, she would still push me.

There is still – decades after I discovered the secret – something magical about being able to irritate a sibling on demand.

If my older sister reads this, I hope she knows that despite all the problems I cause her, I still lo . . .

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is a former Daily Republic editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 24 years as a sports editor, associate editor and news editor before leaving the Daily Republic in 2014. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• Turn to StoneJanuary 05, 2014 - 11:24 am

• J. Geils Band - Freeze FrameJanuary 05, 2014 - 1:18 pm

• Allison Stanhope WyrickJanuary 05, 2014 - 11:28 am

I love this. I still remember you as that curly haired cousin from California :)) But I see now where my father got his humor. Must be genetic.

• Living statues - Human statues in AssenJanuary 05, 2014 - 9:22 pm

• I Stanhope, I mean Sure Hope U Like ThisJanuary 05, 2014 - 9:36 pm

Mr. Brad plans to start his own "Mr Brad's Downtown Fairfield Improvement District" to be located along the Brad Stanhop Walkway Promenade. He will be posing as "The Human Statue of the Week" all his Busker earnings will go towards his dream of opening a Cheese Emporium in Beautiful Downtown Fairfield!.....Please be sure to give generously everyone!.....I am tired Good Evening All....( His first pose will be as an Iranian Space Monkey, I mean Man )

• Gallery-Nice To Be With YouJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:24 am

Vacaville honors top cops, support staff

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Kings honor Rankin, Mustangs

By Paul Farmer | From Page: A2, 1 Comment | Gallery

New meeting location for family support group

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3

Padan Elementary demonstrates new school culture

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Fairfield mall to host first aid kit assembly party

Fairfield police log: March 24, 2015

Suisun City police log: March 24, 2015

Frustration permeates college contract negotiations

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Vallejo woman’s story a hoax, police say

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 5 Comments

Deceased woman’s video supports Wolk’s bill

Man threatened suicide before shooting officer

We deserve freedom to choose our fate

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A5, 4 Comments

Community Calendar: March 26, 2015

Today in History: March 26, 2015

Horoscopes: March 26, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

After several years, my nieces now live with their father and are miserable

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

David Crosby in car accident with jogger

Contract not renewed for ‘Top Gear’ host

Felicity Jones excited, tight-lipped about Star Wars role

Prep badminton preview: City teams making their marks

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B1, 1 Comment | Gallery

6 teams with 10 or more losses most ever to reach Sweet 16

After 1st division title in 39 years, Warriors want more

Local report: Rodriguez boys swim past Vintage

Gomez uses offense and defense, leads Brewers past A’s

Cal to host UC Davis in 2019, Cal Poly in 2020

Lanny McDonald selected as chairman of Hockey Hall of Fame

Serena Williams hoping to play at Miami Open

Change to extra points likely in NFL

Bills to honor late owner Wilson with life-sized statue

Tulowitzki homers, Butler strong in Rockies’ win over Giants

Elliott heads to Martinsville to attempt 1st Sprint Cup race

Alameda County to join talks about new Oakland stadium

Rio mayor unveils controversial Olympic golf course

Joe Gibbs’ son being treated for ‘brain function’ issues

America’s Cup organizers want smaller, cheaper boats

Howard Leon Carnes