Sunday, October 26, 2014

New Year’s resolutions and booze

plunkett column sig

From page A2 | January 09, 2013 |

So we’re only a few days into 2013 and many of you have already broken your New Year’s resolutions. I’ve already broken three of mine. Then again, I only made three New Year’s resolutions.

Oh well, what can I say? Squirrel-on-a-stick is just so darn delicious!

Some of you might still be feeling a little hung over to really care about breaking resolutions. Yeah, it’s really easy to drink too much during a New Year’s Eve party, isn’t it? I thought I only had a few drinks on New Year’s, but somehow I woke up three days later on my neighbor’s roof wearing only a diaper, a plaid life-preserver and a golden tiara. Weird.

While some of you are professional drinkers, the rest are simply casual drunks and the year-end binge is especially tough. Some people get silly and happy the more they drink, while some people become angry and intolerable. Some people simply get a really obnoxious “inebriatitude.”

I’d like to say that drinking heavily requires a real leave of abstinence, but that would be a terrible pun, and by now you all know that one bad pun always leads to another, so why don’t we get this sober with.

Some of you started drinking a bit early on New Year’s and popped your corks before midnight, making your celebration a little Spumanti-climactic. Some of you drank way too much wine . . . and wine not? Que Syrah Syrah! And it doesn’t matter what kind of wine either, especially while it’s raining outside. Any Port in a storm, right? Wine and Champagne are the most popular; at least they seem to be the best cellars. Especially for hard cork drinkers who are always Riesling to the occasion. And let there Pinot doubt about it, even if you have a Blanc stare on your face and Rosé cheeks, you’re in it to wine it. Even the lowest of Merlot, who are living in a Bordeauxed-up shack in a Chianti town, love to get their drink on.

For me, I always think about my grandparents because Jan. 1 was their wedding anniversary. When my grandpa first met granny, she was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still. Back then, making your own alcohol was a whiskey business. But he married her anyway, and put the quart before the horse to the pint of no return.

Some of you prefer the harder stuff. Not me. Not for one martini tiny minute. I just can’t handle the rough drinks, whether I’m in a rural area or subourbon. I have friends that say it’s not going tequila, and when they buy me some shots, vodka I say to that? It sends a Chivas down my spine.

Drinking too much of it leaves me totally Kahlua-less, I’m Bailey’s able to stand and I find that it’s difficult to Schnapps out of it. This is when it’s wise to have a designated driver because, all too often, alcohol becomes a crash diet and you just might wind up with a subpoena colada.

College students take a bad rap for partying too hard, but I think that most of them (especially the ones studying calculus) know that it’s not smart to drink and derive.

No, for me it’s all about beer. It’s good for what ale’s you! And it’s got less alcohol, which enables you to party lager than you normally would. One of my friends said he tried to stout the New Year’s with a non-alcoholic beer, but there was no proof. He spent the evening hunting drunken two-legged deer (also known as caribooze). They really love elkohol. They gazelle it down. Especially Moosehead.

Anyway, I hope you’re all safe and sound and I’m really sorry about all the horrible puns. I’m just happy hour time here wasn’t wasted. And remember, I’ll always beer right here for you!

You can (hic) contact C.W. Plunkett at cwplunkett33@yahoo.com.

• DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVEJanuary 11, 2013 - 10:33 am

It is dangerous and irresponsible becoors it makes you light headed and the police are guinness pull you over. SO DON'T DO IT !

• WHAT'S MADE MILWAUKEE FAMOUSJanuary 12, 2013 - 10:29 pm

• Don't Come Home a Drinkin'January 12, 2013 - 10:43 pm

• Whiskey RiverJanuary 12, 2013 - 10:58 pm

• Funny How Time Slips AwayJanuary 12, 2013 - 11:02 pm

• Johnny Cash Beer Drinking SongsJanuary 13, 2013 - 8:36 pm

***************https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3VpAEDzXw

• Not Pink Elephants, but...Trunk MonkeysJanuary 13, 2013 - 7:37 pm

**********http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx6WB5YJia8

• Romance hint......January 13, 2013 - 7:52 pm

Only do this at home, in a committed relationship, because you never know you could end up with a bun in the oven....Champagne tends to make us girls quite happy quite quickly and is much more classy than beer, Dude. Cheap champagne is just fine, last night we had a bottle of Cooks and a bottle Andres. You Brutes should know that Extra Dry is the best, or Brut. Total cost about $9. But it good to have real Champagne Flutes.

• Champaign - How 'Bout Us 1981January 13, 2013 - 8:17 pm

• Evelyn 'Champange' King - ShameJanuary 13, 2013 - 8:27 pm

• Put this in Youtube search boxJanuary 13, 2013 - 8:51 pm

Evelyn 'Champagne' King - I Think My Heart is Telling

• Ditto...Links not postingJanuary 13, 2013 - 9:04 pm

Waylon Jennings & Jessi Colter - Storms Never Last

• Tiny BubblesJanuary 13, 2013 - 9:16 pm

************https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPqNNyYzpfs

• Now for Something DifferentJanuary 13, 2013 - 9:29 pm

*******************https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fG5m0xrbpo

• C.W. PlunkettJanuary 14, 2013 - 6:52 pm

Oh man... willie nelson... johnny cash... don ho... love it all!!! Thanks Tammy!!

• StRJanuary 14, 2013 - 7:56 pm

No Don Ho is Mills Brothers AND Count Basie. U R welcome.

Back from the ashes: One man is home for Halloween

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Free flu shots given at church

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Gala boosts The Leaven’s efforts in Solano

By Glen Faison | From Page: A5

Military graduates have county ties

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B10

Slim chance to stop coming higher RX co-pays

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

Question of the week: Do think Fairfield has a crime problem?

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8 | Gallery

Sound off for Oct. 26, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Tourists get more than expected

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Leisure Town’s leaders support professional management

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

80-year-old nun still teaching

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Mormons address mystery surrounding undergarments

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3, 1 Comment

Jimmy Fallon’s picture book inspired by daughter

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Harris’ atypical life is now atypical book

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Lena Dunham bares more in new memoir

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Raiders try to erase only zero left in win column

Sweet dreams: Sleep expert helps Giants in October

Giants surge past Royals 11-4 to tie World Series at 2

Stanford routs Oregon St. 38-14, faces Oregon next

Stow shouts ‘Play ball!’ before Game 4 of Series

Splash shots still define Giants’ ballpark

Bumgarner to face Shields in Game 5 of Series

Mo’ne Davis throws out 1st pitch at World Series

Marlins’ Stanton expects to have normal offseason

Raiders activate cornerback Hayden, DE Autry

Kings’ Gay, McLemore cleared to play in opener

Hodgson helps Sabres beat Sharks 2-1

MacKenzie, Svoboda tied for PGA lead at Sea Island

Of mutual interest: What’s next for funds when Fed stops buying bonds?

Apple Pay Q&A: What you need to know

Crowdfunding gives a leg up to animal projects

Google exec sets records with leap from near-space

Review: Macs, mobile unite with Yosemite system

Smart Spending: A spin with Wal-Mart’s savings app

40 years later, ‘Power Broker’ is standard reading

Eugene Sylvester Carter Sr.

Guillermo Lara Lopez