Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Pepperoni, sauce, extra cheese evoke memories

pizza 2

From page A2 | January 17, 2014 |

A recent Domino’s Pizza commercial focused on how projects are often “powered by pizza.” The voice-over went:

“At Domino’s we take our job seriously because we know Americans order pizza when they are building, creating and innovating. Without pizza, school projects and music albums might go unfinished . . . start-ups unstarted . . . no one is coming up with a world-changing idea over halibut.”

In the ad, when halibut was mentioned, an actor spits out chunks of the fish in disgust. The Alaskan halibut industry was not amused.

Still, I get the point that Dominos was making. Pizza has powered many moments of building, creating and innovating and also many moments of just chillin’ with friends and family. Why, just the smell of pepperoni and cheese can often conjure up great memories.

Locally, Ricos’s Pizza, which used to be in the Mission Village Shopping Center (now where Walmart stands), was my family’s first choice, primarily because their pies were ginormous. My brothers and I attacked their 26-inch combination pizza with the ferocity of piranhas.

When I worked at Baskin-Robbins, my boss, Mary Minakata, would buy me and my co-workers food from Shakey’s Pizza to get us fueled up when it was time to tackle the huge job of cleaning the ice cream freezers. Their pizza? Awesome. Their mojo potatoes? Slap-yo-mama good.

From Sham’s to Shakey’s, from Round Table to Roadrunner and from Pietro’s to Professor’s – other locals shared memories of pizza places from the past:

Elizabeth Nessmith: Shakey’s was where the Armijo superband went after parades to “unwind.” Actually, it was a staging area to break up into TP-ing groups! Yeah. I got busted.

Tim Putz: Giovanni’s at the mall made the best sausage rolls for that Saturday morning hangover!

Barbara Ann McFadden: One of my first jobs was at Straw Hat Pizza in 1973 or ’74. It was located near Wonder World, where O’Reilly’s Auto Parts is now (sort of). I once refused to serve a guy his pitcher of beer until I saw all the IDs to go with the mugs. He got mad and picked up the pitcher and threw the full contents on me and stormed out, cussing. He was arrested.

Carl Lamera: When I was a freshman at Fairfield High, an upperclassman (to remain nameless) took me to Shakey’s after a football game. I told him that I didn’t have any money. He said he didn’t, either. When we got there he “social butterflied” from table to table handing me a piece of pizza from time to time. I have never been so full on pizza that I didn’t pay for . . . well, at least up to that point.

Sue Berkheimer Steffen: Shakey’s occasionally for pizza and root beer; Rico’s almost daily for Pac-Man; then Thrifty’s for ice cream!

Mary Gould: When I was pregnant with my daughter, her father used to drive all the way from Napa to get me a vegetarian, no bell peppers, with fresh tomato and garlic pizza from Vittorio’s. As well he should if he knew what was best for him!

Cabral Loretta: I worked at the mall and I only made $4.25 an hour so when I got my paycheck, I would treat myself to Sbarro’s. I thought it was a fancy restaurant.

Bart Greathouse: I played on Sham’s Little League team. We didn’t win much, but always had a pizza party when the season was over.

Doug Rodgers: I used to play men’s softball for Round Table, but went to Pietro’s No. 1 after games because they gave us a better deal on beer and pizza.

Jennifer Engell Matcham: Rod’s Pizza in Suisun! My brother worked there and I spent hours playing games and watching the biggest TV in the county at the time!

Cynthia Garcia: My sister, Sylvia Garcia, used to work at Rico’s Pizza. I used to call in a fake pizza order near closing time, which I’d never pick up since I was a youngster with no driver’s license. The pizza just happened to have all of my sister’s favorite toppings. When the restaurant closed for the night and no one picked up the pizza, my sister got to take it home. Amazing how that worked!

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected].

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2014 - 6:55 am

We like pizza and usually end up at Papa Murphy's. We like others as well, but my favorite will always be Roundtable. I've been going there for fifty years it still tastes the same and just walking in, the aroma always brings memories of those not-so-clear Friday nights!

• S KJanuary 17, 2014 - 7:34 am

Round table used to be our favorite, even though their large pizza is everyone else's medium, & IMO costs too much. But one afternoon my Wife and I tried Eveyln's Big Italian Pizzaria, in downtown Fairfield, and we haven't been anywhere since, the absolute BEST PIZZA that we have every had. And if you are a MEAT guy like me, their Meat combo is heaven on Earth>>LOL. You can buy an entire pizza, but by the slice is perfect, so generous in size and toppings, you'll only eat one. The last time we were there I asked the owner about one of the paintings in the center room, asking if it were a real place, finding out it was. Now I can't wait to vacation there some time :-)

• S KJanuary 17, 2014 - 7:35 am

TYPO ALERT: Meant, "EVER HAD." I guess I haven't had my pizza today>>LOL

• S KJanuary 17, 2014 - 7:20 pm

Actually I fibbed slightly. Had been to a kids birthday thing at Chuck e Cheese, and surprisingly OK. But Evelyn's is the BEST, champion all around>>IMO :-)

• ?January 17, 2014 - 7:26 am

I miss the Shrimp and Pineapple pizza Shakey's had.

• SixStrRzrJanuary 17, 2014 - 3:05 pm

I enjoy Cenario's, in Cordelia. Great crust, price a little above chain stores, but the pies are good size with ample toppings. I like Mountain Mike's,too.

• PIZZA ! ................and NOTHING ELSE MATTERSJanuary 17, 2014 - 5:26 pm

• LyricsJanuary 17, 2014 - 5:30 pm

• Tony manero 1977 and me 2010 Saturday night fever / Pizza lenny'sJanuary 17, 2014 - 9:33 pm

• Rich GiddensJanuary 17, 2014 - 8:20 pm

I liked those Turkish lamajun pizzas made with a pita bread crust that's smeared with a paste made of twice ground lamb, omion, red pepper flakes, parsley and garlic. Once that's cooked you can turn it into like a burrito by putting that gyros / doner kabob meat on top along with tomato, cucumber and tzaziki yogurt sauce on top.

Kids Day of Fishing began with $20 donation

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

Chabad will begin Torah for Solano Jewish community

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

Library foundation executive moves to Child Haven

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A5

Theater schedules free screening of Sundance film

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A8

Vacaville plans recreation expo

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

Frazier to discuss transportation at EDC breakfast

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Fairgrounds site of horse-betting seminar, brunch

Il Fiorello schedules vegetarian cuisine class

Fairfield police log: April 19, 2015

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: April 19, 2015

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Lawmakers seek FDA review of ingredients used in cosmetics

Prosecutors: Capsized boat captain and crew member arrested

High-speed rail approves 5 bidders for more construction

Sheriff’s domestic violence-related conviction erased

Utah woman gets up to life in prison in deaths of 6 newborns

Police: Video didn’t capture suspect’s fatal spine injury

California Uber driver accused of running down bicyclist

US warship heads to Yemeni waters; could block Iran weapons

Lawyer: Washington Post reporter in Iran faces 4 charges

Many migrants drawn by jobs, welfare in northern Europe

Bombs shatter houses in Yemen capital, hit near Iran Embassy

Questions, answers about federal anti-radicalization effort

Where US sees terror prevention, some Muslims see profiling

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 2 Comments | Gallery

Sacramento woman eats 3 steak dinners in 20 minutes in Texas

Chemistry Ph.D. student illustrates her thesis in comic book

Public memorial held for the Rev. Robert Schuller

SC paper wins Pulitzer for reporting on domestic abuse

6 from Minnesota charged with trying to join Islamic State

Why does Fed insist on targeting inflation?

By Ramesh Ponnuru | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Income disparity study results ironic

By Dan Walters | From Page: A11

Community Calendar: April 21, 2015

AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty to threatening to kill

Bobby Brown’s lawyer: Bobbi Kristina Brown has opened eyes

US writer who fled Austria to escape Holocaust dead at 90

Vice News, NPR, CNN, WNYC win double Peabody Awards

HBO planning to deal Web pot sitcom ‘High Maintenance’

Kolbert’s ‘Sixth Extinction’ wins Pulitzer for nonfiction

Wolfe’s ‘Anthracite Fields’ wins Pulitzer for music

Anthony Doerr wins Pulitzer Prize for fiction

Elizabeth A. Fenn wins Pulitzer Prize for history

Gregory Pardlo’s ‘Digest’ wins Pulitzer Prize for poetry

David I. Kertzer wins Pulitzer for biography-autobiography

Stephen Adly Guirgis wins Pulitzer for drama

Mustangs rally in seventh inning to top Falcons

By Daily Republic staff | From Page:

AP source: Peterson stays home from Vikings workouts

Report: 2 teams needed to make California stadium profitable

Data deluge: MLB rolls out Statcast analytics on Tuesday

Former Chicago Bears linebacker Doug Buffone dead at 70

New format means injured drivers no longer must race

Saunders: ‘I’m the coach until I say I’m not’

Faldo to make final appearance at British Open this year

Braves’ McKirahan suspended 80 games for positive drug test

Raptors Lou Williams wins NBA Sixth Man Award

Ugly Olympic conflict breaks into open at Sochi conference

Pacquiao gets in 2 words before conference call cancelled

Eagles sign quarterback Tim Tebow to 1-year contract

McLellan out after 7 years as coach of San Jose Sharks

Pelicans coach says Warriors arena noise might be too loud

Police: LA Kings’ Jarret Stoll had cocaine, Ecstasy in Vegas

Desisa wins 119th Boston Marathon; Rotich takes women’s race

Jockey Chris Antley leads Racing Hall of Fame class

Judge returns ultra-rich club founder Tim Blixseth to jail

Running out of time: Limited-time deals can be limiting

$134M proposed for 10 BP-funded oil spill recovery projects

Hormel says bird flu outbreak will hurt turkey sales

Bird flu confirmed at Iowa farm with 5.3 million chickens

Trucking group urges government to move on speed limiters

US stocks gain, rebounding from Friday’s slump; Hasbro jumps

Survey: US businesses expect sales rebound, more hiring

Bristol-Myers: 2 cancer drugs beat 1 against melanoma

Halliburton says has cut 9,000 jobs in wake of oil’s drop

By T. Burt McNaughton | From Page: B4

Labor group seeks rehiring of workers at 5 Wal-Mart sites

Frederick’s of Hollywood files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Willie Nelson becomes latest celebrity in marijuana business

Kraft Mac & Cheese shedding the dyes

ESPN says Verizon’s new FiOS TV packages violate agreements

Lawsuit: Southwest failed to respond to medical emergency

Bridge April 21