Friday, December 19, 2014

Pepperoni, sauce, extra cheese evoke memories

pizza 2

From page A2 | January 17, 2014 |

A recent Domino’s Pizza commercial focused on how projects are often “powered by pizza.” The voice-over went:

“At Domino’s we take our job seriously because we know Americans order pizza when they are building, creating and innovating. Without pizza, school projects and music albums might go unfinished . . . start-ups unstarted . . . no one is coming up with a world-changing idea over halibut.”

In the ad, when halibut was mentioned, an actor spits out chunks of the fish in disgust. The Alaskan halibut industry was not amused.

Still, I get the point that Dominos was making. Pizza has powered many moments of building, creating and innovating and also many moments of just chillin’ with friends and family. Why, just the smell of pepperoni and cheese can often conjure up great memories.

Locally, Ricos’s Pizza, which used to be in the Mission Village Shopping Center (now where Walmart stands), was my family’s first choice, primarily because their pies were ginormous. My brothers and I attacked their 26-inch combination pizza with the ferocity of piranhas.

When I worked at Baskin-Robbins, my boss, Mary Minakata, would buy me and my co-workers food from Shakey’s Pizza to get us fueled up when it was time to tackle the huge job of cleaning the ice cream freezers. Their pizza? Awesome. Their mojo potatoes? Slap-yo-mama good.

From Sham’s to Shakey’s, from Round Table to Roadrunner and from Pietro’s to Professor’s – other locals shared memories of pizza places from the past:

Elizabeth Nessmith: Shakey’s was where the Armijo superband went after parades to “unwind.” Actually, it was a staging area to break up into TP-ing groups! Yeah. I got busted.

Tim Putz: Giovanni’s at the mall made the best sausage rolls for that Saturday morning hangover!

Barbara Ann McFadden: One of my first jobs was at Straw Hat Pizza in 1973 or ’74. It was located near Wonder World, where O’Reilly’s Auto Parts is now (sort of). I once refused to serve a guy his pitcher of beer until I saw all the IDs to go with the mugs. He got mad and picked up the pitcher and threw the full contents on me and stormed out, cussing. He was arrested.

Carl Lamera: When I was a freshman at Fairfield High, an upperclassman (to remain nameless) took me to Shakey’s after a football game. I told him that I didn’t have any money. He said he didn’t, either. When we got there he “social butterflied” from table to table handing me a piece of pizza from time to time. I have never been so full on pizza that I didn’t pay for . . . well, at least up to that point.

Sue Berkheimer Steffen: Shakey’s occasionally for pizza and root beer; Rico’s almost daily for Pac-Man; then Thrifty’s for ice cream!

Mary Gould: When I was pregnant with my daughter, her father used to drive all the way from Napa to get me a vegetarian, no bell peppers, with fresh tomato and garlic pizza from Vittorio’s. As well he should if he knew what was best for him!

Cabral Loretta: I worked at the mall and I only made $4.25 an hour so when I got my paycheck, I would treat myself to Sbarro’s. I thought it was a fancy restaurant.

Bart Greathouse: I played on Sham’s Little League team. We didn’t win much, but always had a pizza party when the season was over.

Doug Rodgers: I used to play men’s softball for Round Table, but went to Pietro’s No. 1 after games because they gave us a better deal on beer and pizza.

Jennifer Engell Matcham: Rod’s Pizza in Suisun! My brother worked there and I spent hours playing games and watching the biggest TV in the county at the time!

Cynthia Garcia: My sister, Sylvia Garcia, used to work at Rico’s Pizza. I used to call in a fake pizza order near closing time, which I’d never pick up since I was a youngster with no driver’s license. The pizza just happened to have all of my sister’s favorite toppings. When the restaurant closed for the night and no one picked up the pizza, my sister got to take it home. Amazing how that worked!

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at tonybethkaci@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• CD BrooksJanuary 17, 2014 - 6:55 am

We like pizza and usually end up at Papa Murphy's. We like others as well, but my favorite will always be Roundtable. I've been going there for fifty years it still tastes the same and just walking in, the aroma always brings memories of those not-so-clear Friday nights!

• S KJanuary 17, 2014 - 7:34 am

Round table used to be our favorite, even though their large pizza is everyone else's medium, & IMO costs too much. But one afternoon my Wife and I tried Eveyln's Big Italian Pizzaria, in downtown Fairfield, and we haven't been anywhere since, the absolute BEST PIZZA that we have every had. And if you are a MEAT guy like me, their Meat combo is heaven on Earth>>LOL. You can buy an entire pizza, but by the slice is perfect, so generous in size and toppings, you'll only eat one. The last time we were there I asked the owner about one of the paintings in the center room, asking if it were a real place, finding out it was. Now I can't wait to vacation there some time :-)

• S KJanuary 17, 2014 - 7:35 am

TYPO ALERT: Meant, "EVER HAD." I guess I haven't had my pizza today>>LOL

• S KJanuary 17, 2014 - 7:20 pm

Actually I fibbed slightly. Had been to a kids birthday thing at Chuck e Cheese, and surprisingly OK. But Evelyn's is the BEST, champion all around>>IMO :-)

• ?January 17, 2014 - 7:26 am

I miss the Shrimp and Pineapple pizza Shakey's had.

• SixStrRzrJanuary 17, 2014 - 3:05 pm

I enjoy Cenario's, in Cordelia. Great crust, price a little above chain stores, but the pies are good size with ample toppings. I like Mountain Mike's,too.

• PIZZA ! ................and NOTHING ELSE MATTERSJanuary 17, 2014 - 5:26 pm

• LyricsJanuary 17, 2014 - 5:30 pm

• Tony manero 1977 and me 2010 Saturday night fever / Pizza lenny'sJanuary 17, 2014 - 9:33 pm

• Rich GiddensJanuary 17, 2014 - 8:20 pm

I liked those Turkish lamajun pizzas made with a pita bread crust that's smeared with a paste made of twice ground lamb, omion, red pepper flakes, parsley and garlic. Once that's cooked you can turn it into like a burrito by putting that gyros / doner kabob meat on top along with tomato, cucumber and tzaziki yogurt sauce on top.

Sondheim’s ‘Woods’ holiday showcase for Missouri Street Theatre

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Groundbreakings, ribbon-cuttings play role in civic life

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Frankye Kelly ready to spread holiday cheer

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Celebrate the magic of Christmas

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2, 2 Comments

Santas have busy week at schools

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

Safe streets task force work nets 3

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3, 2 Comments

Solano College approves officers, meeting schedule

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A4

Longtime Suisun harbor master to retire

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A4

Fairfield police log: Dec. 17, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 17, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A12, 1 Comment

Police arrest 2nd suspect in Fairfield credit union robbery

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A12 | Gallery

Spy’s parents search for son after Cuba-US deal

Hope and some fear in Cuba amid thaw with US

Next steps on Cuba: Normalizing could take awhile

Sony hacking fallout puts all companies on alert

Sony film took aim at North Korea’s biggest taboo

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 3 Comments

Timeline of the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack

Digital dilemma: How will US respond to Sony hack?

Local emergencies in Northern California counties after rain

California’s top utility regulator defends record

‘Pretty horrible’ scene; car slams into crowd

Police: Drunk man shot while entering wrong house

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 4 Comments

Tsarnaev appears in court for 1st time since 2013

President signs legislation ending Nazi benefit checks

2 states challenge Colorado marijuana legalization

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 3 Comments

‘Prison Houdini’ set to make his 1st legal escape

Top Islamic militants killed; more US troops going to Iraq

Feds sue NYC over Rikers Island jail violence

Russian sailors leaving France without warship

By The Associated Press | From Page: A9, 1 Comment

Putin: West wants to defang, declaw Russian bear

European court rules obesity can be a disability

Suspected Islamic extremists kidnap 185 in Nigeria

By The Associated Press | From Page: A13, 2 Comments

Another look at school bonds

By George Guynn Jr. | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Editorial Cartoon: Dec. 19, 2014

News of the day strikes a chord

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: A11, 10 Comments

Today in History: Dec. 19, 2014

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2, 1 Comment

Community Calendar: Dec. 19, 2014

Horoscopes: Dec. 19, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: D8

Should I use Child Protective Services threat to get back rent?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: D8

Week in preview Dec. 19-25, 2014

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Sweet ‘Night at the Museum’ bids farewell to Robin Williams

Craig Ferguson to end 10 years as host of ‘Late Late Show’

Eric Idle brings ‘Not the Messiah’ to Carnegie Hall

Entertainment calendar Dec. 19, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

A’s trade All-Star catcher Derek Norris to Padres

Warriors beat Thunder 114-109 after Durant injury

A’s acquire lefty De La Rosa from Arizona for cash

Raiders defense depleted by injuries

49ers’ Harbaugh mum on reported offer from Michigan

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B9

This date in sports history for Friday, Dec. 19, 2014

Sports on TV/Local sports for Friday, Dec. 19, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B11

Roomiest Subaru Legacy debuts for 2015

By Ann M. Job | From Page: C1

Dow industrials have their best day in three years

Ford expands drivers air bag recall nationwide

Constantly changing online prices stump shoppers

Lisa Dee McHughes