Monday, September 1, 2014

Lessons learned from ‘unfunny’ column

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | April 13, 2014 |

Too soon?

Too soon. At least for our readers.

Last week in this space, I wrote a satiric column about my “theories” about what really happened to Flight 370, the Malaysian Airline plane that disappeared March 2. The response? It was immediately savaged on the Daily Republic website as stupid, cruel and unfunny. And that was just from my friends!

Here are some real phrases found in comments about it, presented movie-review style:

• “Low taste and downright poor taste.”
  • “Not funny. Not one bit funny. Actually, I found it rather stupid.”
  • “I’ve never witnessed such complete lack of judgment.”
  • “Sad.”
  • “Brad should resign.”

They were bad enough, but my mistake was confirmed Sunday afternoon when I told Mrs. Brad that I was “getting killed” over my column.

“Because it wasn’t funny?” she asked.

Yikes.

So yeah, it wasn’t funny. It was a misguided attempt to harvest humor out of something inappropriate. Sometimes you’re right and you stand in despite criticism. Sometimes you’re wrong and a unanimous wave of harsh condemnation is right.

I was wrong. The readers were right. The column was a bad idea.

The topic was kind of funny in my brain – it was an extension of all the crazy theories put forth daily in various media about what happened to the airplane. My plan was to come up with preposterous ideas to explain the disappearance – that the Earth is really flat, that they landed on Gilligan’s Island, stuff like that.

I chuckled at the thought – I work in a newsroom, where gallows humor reigns.

The readers hated my idea. In addition to the comments, I received several emails and some phone calls blasting me for being dumb and unfunny.

So . . . I was wrong.

The ironic thing is that in January, I wrote a column about the timing of humor – that you need to know when it’s “too soon” to make gags about events. My conclusion three months ago: That you probably are OK making jokes about the Great Depression, Bing Crosby and O.J. Simpson, but that you should wait awhile before joking about current tragedies.

I included gags about the Black Death from the Middle Ages and the sinking of the Titanic. Trust me, they were great. (No need to check. Just trust me.)

The lesson? What seems funny in my brain isn’t necessarily funny to everyone when it’s on paper or their computer – something I’ve known for a long time. But I also was reminded that what seems “edgy” can be offensive if you don’t put yourself in the position of the reader – who doesn’t live inside your head.

Bottom line: The column offended enough people – even those who defended me in the online comments did so in a position of weakness (“He’s not always this dumb”) – that I recognize the truth. It was offensive. It was too soon. It would have been better left unwritten.

The other bottom line: Readers don’t live inside my head, which in the end is a good thing because there’s not much room in there – with the Good Brad telling me to write about my family or dog and the Bad Brad telling me to write about a plane crash.

Two of us is enough in my brain. I’ll try and let Good Brad win more often.

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or bstanhope@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is the Daily Republic's news editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 17 years as a sports editor and three years as the associate editor before spending three years away from the newspaper (though continuing as a columnist). He returned in December 2010 as news editor. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• Mayor SanchezApril 13, 2014 - 7:16 am

Saying " I am sorry" would be real nice.

• BaseballmomApril 13, 2014 - 7:41 am

Uhh Pete dear, he spent an entire column saying he's sorry... Get over it.

• Passenger7aon307April 13, 2014 - 8:07 am

I find all of it to be very funny. Maybe because we are related and I also have had to use the phrase "Too soon?" quite often.

• Must Have Got LostApril 13, 2014 - 9:10 am

• Couldn't get it right? ( It is OK, Mr Brad... we still Love U.. kiss kiss )April 13, 2014 - 9:20 am

• BobApril 13, 2014 - 9:10 am

Like they ( who are "they?") say: " it seemed like a good idea at the time"

• mike kirchubelApril 13, 2014 - 9:54 am

I laughed, it was kind of like the Asiana crash and KTVU's announcement of the pilots' names, only not as funny. But i decided that jumping to your aid would release a whole new, politically motivated crowd to attack both of us. My advice, keep exploring the nooks and crannies of your convoluted brain and invest in thicker skin. Ebay sells everything.

Highway 12 project nears completion

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Goodwill opens Outlet Store in Fairfield

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Fairfield economic team announces addition

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7

Premier post details of new lease

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7

Il Fiorello to host jazz event

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A7

Good job, Susan Winlow

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Source: 49ers OL Boone agrees to new 2-yr deal

49er Ray McDonald accused of domestic violence

Kahne holds off Kenseth to win Atlanta shootout

Wozniacki outlasts Sharapova, in US Open quarters

Falcons looking to be defensive

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

A’s frustrated after 8-1 loss caps sweep by Angels

Ernst wins LPGA’s Portland Classic in playoff

Giants power past Brewers 15-5 for 3-game sweep

Down at half, US beats Turkey in basketball worlds

Source: Chiefs’ Smith agrees to 4-yr extension

Tony Stewart’s return to race track ends early

Sam clears waivers, meets with Fisher

FC Kansas City wins NWSL title over Seattle, 2-1

Raiders claim DE Mayowa off waivers

Jensen waived after Jaguars awarded TE Shuler

Otto wins Italian Open; Gallacher comes up short

Weather for Monday, Sept. 1, 2014

Henley takes a 1-shot lead at Deutsche Bank

Dunn dealt to A’s, could be his last shot playoffs

Fred Couples wins Champions Tour event