Thursday, March 5, 2015

Lessons learned from ‘unfunny’ column

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | April 13, 2014 |

Too soon?

Too soon. At least for our readers.

Last week in this space, I wrote a satiric column about my “theories” about what really happened to Flight 370, the Malaysian Airline plane that disappeared March 2. The response? It was immediately savaged on the Daily Republic website as stupid, cruel and unfunny. And that was just from my friends!

Here are some real phrases found in comments about it, presented movie-review style:

• “Low taste and downright poor taste.”
  • “Not funny. Not one bit funny. Actually, I found it rather stupid.”
  • “I’ve never witnessed such complete lack of judgment.”
  • “Sad.”
  • “Brad should resign.”

They were bad enough, but my mistake was confirmed Sunday afternoon when I told Mrs. Brad that I was “getting killed” over my column.

“Because it wasn’t funny?” she asked.

Yikes.

So yeah, it wasn’t funny. It was a misguided attempt to harvest humor out of something inappropriate. Sometimes you’re right and you stand in despite criticism. Sometimes you’re wrong and a unanimous wave of harsh condemnation is right.

I was wrong. The readers were right. The column was a bad idea.

The topic was kind of funny in my brain – it was an extension of all the crazy theories put forth daily in various media about what happened to the airplane. My plan was to come up with preposterous ideas to explain the disappearance – that the Earth is really flat, that they landed on Gilligan’s Island, stuff like that.

I chuckled at the thought – I work in a newsroom, where gallows humor reigns.

The readers hated my idea. In addition to the comments, I received several emails and some phone calls blasting me for being dumb and unfunny.

So . . . I was wrong.

The ironic thing is that in January, I wrote a column about the timing of humor – that you need to know when it’s “too soon” to make gags about events. My conclusion three months ago: That you probably are OK making jokes about the Great Depression, Bing Crosby and O.J. Simpson, but that you should wait awhile before joking about current tragedies.

I included gags about the Black Death from the Middle Ages and the sinking of the Titanic. Trust me, they were great. (No need to check. Just trust me.)

The lesson? What seems funny in my brain isn’t necessarily funny to everyone when it’s on paper or their computer – something I’ve known for a long time. But I also was reminded that what seems “edgy” can be offensive if you don’t put yourself in the position of the reader – who doesn’t live inside your head.

Bottom line: The column offended enough people – even those who defended me in the online comments did so in a position of weakness (“He’s not always this dumb”) – that I recognize the truth. It was offensive. It was too soon. It would have been better left unwritten.

The other bottom line: Readers don’t live inside my head, which in the end is a good thing because there’s not much room in there – with the Good Brad telling me to write about my family or dog and the Bad Brad telling me to write about a plane crash.

Two of us is enough in my brain. I’ll try and let Good Brad win more often.

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is a former Daily Republic editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 24 years as a sports editor, associate editor and news editor before leaving the Daily Republic in 2014. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• Mayor SanchezApril 13, 2014 - 7:16 am

Saying " I am sorry" would be real nice.

• BaseballmomApril 13, 2014 - 7:41 am

Uhh Pete dear, he spent an entire column saying he's sorry... Get over it.

• Passenger7aon307April 13, 2014 - 8:07 am

I find all of it to be very funny. Maybe because we are related and I also have had to use the phrase "Too soon?" quite often.

• Must Have Got LostApril 13, 2014 - 9:10 am

• Couldn't get it right? ( It is OK, Mr Brad... we still Love U.. kiss kiss )April 13, 2014 - 9:20 am

• BobApril 13, 2014 - 9:10 am

Like they ( who are "they?") say: " it seemed like a good idea at the time"

• mike kirchubelApril 13, 2014 - 9:54 am

I laughed, it was kind of like the Asiana crash and KTVU's announcement of the pilots' names, only not as funny. But i decided that jumping to your aid would release a whole new, politically motivated crowd to attack both of us. My advice, keep exploring the nooks and crannies of your convoluted brain and invest in thicker skin. Ebay sells everything.

Show resilience in the face of adversity

By Mayrene Bates | From Page: A2

Students sample industry choices during school career fair

By Glen Faison | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Real McCoy II Ferry set for maintenance

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3

Vacaville police slate annual awards ceremony

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3

Limited damage to apartment from carport fire

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Friday concert benefits Families Helping Families

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Vallejo police arrest 4 in connection with 3 killings

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

National Red Cross Month celebrates heroes

Il Fiorello schedules citrus class

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Jury convicts ex-con who served as own lawyer

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A4

Red Carpet Gala to benefit theater foundation

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Pet remembrance event set in Vallejo

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Fairfield police log: Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Suisun City police log: Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Justices sharply divided over health care law subsidies

‘It was him': Defense admits Tsarnaev bombed Boston Marathon

Failures by 3 governments preceded homeless man’s death

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Second Los Angeles hospital reports ‘superbug’ infections

California lawmaker pushes child care worker vaccinations

Children in Southern California breathing easier, study says

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Obama signs Homeland Security funding bill into law

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

House panel issues subpoena for Clinton’s personal emails

Feds: Evidence backs Ferguson officer’s account in shooting

A defiant Alabama regains ground against gay marriage

How much sugar is in that? 7 foods with added sugar

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship

Coal mine blast kills at least 24 in war-torn east Ukraine

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6 | Gallery

Today in History: March 5, 2015

Community Calendar: March 5, 2015

Horoscopes: March 5, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

I can’t tell if I still want to be married, or just don’t want to be alone

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

DiCaprio partners with Netflix for series of documentaries

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ tops MTV Movie Awards nominations

Glen Campbell children fighting wife’s control of affairs

Posey has 2-run double in Giants’ 9-2 loss to A’s

Local report: Vanden softball slips by Rodriguez with late run

Curry shoots Warriors to 102-93 victory over Bucks

Former player Nate Jackson calls for NFL to allow marijuana

Phoenix to install tire barriers before NASCAR visit

Pirelli sticks with same tire choices for first 4 F1 races

AP Source: Peyton Manning returning for 18th NFL season

NCAA reports big jump in home runs with new flat-seam ball

MLS, players agree in principle to 5-year deal

Prosecutors can’t bring up Florida shooting in ex-NFLer case

Vikings agree to trade Cassel to Bills

Scott opens a season of change at Doral

‘It WAS him': Defense admits Tsarnaev bombed Boston Marathon

With Peterson’s status in question, Vikings pay a visit

NFL stadium supporters in LA suburb file ballot paperwork

Alex Johnson, AL batting champ in 1970, dies at age 72