Saturday, April 18, 2015

Lessons learned from ‘unfunny’ column

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | April 13, 2014 |

Too soon?

Too soon. At least for our readers.

Last week in this space, I wrote a satiric column about my “theories” about what really happened to Flight 370, the Malaysian Airline plane that disappeared March 2. The response? It was immediately savaged on the Daily Republic website as stupid, cruel and unfunny. And that was just from my friends!

Here are some real phrases found in comments about it, presented movie-review style:

• “Low taste and downright poor taste.”
  • “Not funny. Not one bit funny. Actually, I found it rather stupid.”
  • “I’ve never witnessed such complete lack of judgment.”
  • “Sad.”
  • “Brad should resign.”

They were bad enough, but my mistake was confirmed Sunday afternoon when I told Mrs. Brad that I was “getting killed” over my column.

“Because it wasn’t funny?” she asked.

Yikes.

So yeah, it wasn’t funny. It was a misguided attempt to harvest humor out of something inappropriate. Sometimes you’re right and you stand in despite criticism. Sometimes you’re wrong and a unanimous wave of harsh condemnation is right.

I was wrong. The readers were right. The column was a bad idea.

The topic was kind of funny in my brain – it was an extension of all the crazy theories put forth daily in various media about what happened to the airplane. My plan was to come up with preposterous ideas to explain the disappearance – that the Earth is really flat, that they landed on Gilligan’s Island, stuff like that.

I chuckled at the thought – I work in a newsroom, where gallows humor reigns.

The readers hated my idea. In addition to the comments, I received several emails and some phone calls blasting me for being dumb and unfunny.

So . . . I was wrong.

The ironic thing is that in January, I wrote a column about the timing of humor – that you need to know when it’s “too soon” to make gags about events. My conclusion three months ago: That you probably are OK making jokes about the Great Depression, Bing Crosby and O.J. Simpson, but that you should wait awhile before joking about current tragedies.

I included gags about the Black Death from the Middle Ages and the sinking of the Titanic. Trust me, they were great. (No need to check. Just trust me.)

The lesson? What seems funny in my brain isn’t necessarily funny to everyone when it’s on paper or their computer – something I’ve known for a long time. But I also was reminded that what seems “edgy” can be offensive if you don’t put yourself in the position of the reader – who doesn’t live inside your head.

Bottom line: The column offended enough people – even those who defended me in the online comments did so in a position of weakness (“He’s not always this dumb”) – that I recognize the truth. It was offensive. It was too soon. It would have been better left unwritten.

The other bottom line: Readers don’t live inside my head, which in the end is a good thing because there’s not much room in there – with the Good Brad telling me to write about my family or dog and the Bad Brad telling me to write about a plane crash.

Two of us is enough in my brain. I’ll try and let Good Brad win more often.

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is a former Daily Republic editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 24 years as a sports editor, associate editor and news editor before leaving the Daily Republic in 2014. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• Mayor SanchezApril 13, 2014 - 7:16 am

Saying " I am sorry" would be real nice.

• BaseballmomApril 13, 2014 - 7:41 am

Uhh Pete dear, he spent an entire column saying he's sorry... Get over it.

• Passenger7aon307April 13, 2014 - 8:07 am

I find all of it to be very funny. Maybe because we are related and I also have had to use the phrase "Too soon?" quite often.

• Must Have Got LostApril 13, 2014 - 9:10 am

• Couldn't get it right? ( It is OK, Mr Brad... we still Love U.. kiss kiss )April 13, 2014 - 9:20 am

• BobApril 13, 2014 - 9:10 am

Like they ( who are "they?") say: " it seemed like a good idea at the time"

• mike kirchubelApril 13, 2014 - 9:54 am

I laughed, it was kind of like the Asiana crash and KTVU's announcement of the pilots' names, only not as funny. But i decided that jumping to your aid would release a whole new, politically motivated crowd to attack both of us. My advice, keep exploring the nooks and crannies of your convoluted brain and invest in thicker skin. Ebay sells everything.

Child care program helps teen parents, students

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Fairfield park shooting suspects take plea deals

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A1

Wood students entertain guests at Epcot

By Susan Hiland And Susan Winlow | From Page: A2

Vacaville questions state draft plan on water cuts

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Board denies parole for violent Vacaville robber

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3

Solano County Science Fair continues to grow

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: April 16, 2015

Suisun City police log: April 16, 2015

Family awarded rights to rare coins

Investigators say identity-theft suspect had 74 aliases

‘Opt Out’ of Common Core movement gaining strength

Dog flu outbreak sweeps across the Midwest

AG announces anti-bias training program

Sunken aircraft carrier rediscovered off California coast

Gas-line blast closes Highway 99, injures at least 11

Iraqi officials believe Saddam’s top deputy killed

Germany mourns citizens lost in plane crash

Following Alps crash, debate over pilotless planes heats up

We should apologize for failing today’s youth

By Deon Price | From Page: A8

Time for meaningful financial reform

By Paul A. Volcker | From Page: A8

Today in history: Saturday, April 18, 2015

Community Calendar: April 18, 2015

Horoscopes: April 18, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A7

My daughter is upset that I didn’t attend my former in-law’s funeral

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A7

Idea from Adam Sandler film used to soothe dementia patients

California home prices hit new 7-year high, sales rebound

Secrecy shrouds decade-old oil spill in Gulf of Mexico

Frederick’s of Hollywood reveals closing of retail stores

Don’t plan to line up for Apple Watch next week

Google shaking up search recommendations on smartphones

Glaxo recalls flu vaccine due to potency problem

Douglas Craig Sparks