Thursday, December 18, 2014

I am still black and still rockin’

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | January 06, 2014 |

I have written before about how in the past I was kind of embarrassed and even a little ashamed of the fact that I was a black guy who liked hard rock ‘n’ roll music. I got over that years ago. Life is way too short to worry about things you cannot control – namely what other people think about you.

I recently saw a wonderful documentary on Netflix called “A Band Called Death.” It was about three black brothers from Detroit who in the early 1970s made a rock ‘n’ roll band called, well, Death. The protopunk music they created was unique and visionary. It is truly an inspirational and compelling story.

In the 1980s, when I was listening to heavy metal bands like Dio and Judas Priest, there were very few people who looked like me making that kind of music, much less fans attending concerts. I didn’t care. I liked what I liked.

Then in 1988, Living Colour exploded. I remember seeing the video for their song “Cult of Personality” and being blown away. Here were four guys, black like me, who got off on the same thing I did: intelligent lyrics, inventive musicianship and blaring music. I was home.

I went through a phase in the 1980s where I wore a T-shirt with the words “Rockin’ Negro” on it to concerts. It was partly to embrace who I was and partly to assure other concertgoers that the big black guy in the crowd was not a security guard, but there to enjoy the show as well.

I used to feel . . . I don’t know, less than black or something for my musical tastes. In fact, my late brother Ken would sometimes derisively call me “white boy.” I later had a friend from Oakland, who was half-black and who loved the Doobie Brothers and Elton John and other rock artists, but referred to them as, believe it or not, “forbidden music.”

Who do people think invented rock ‘n’ roll? Elvis Presley? Please.

Vernon Reid, the guitarist for Living Colour, once said that the roots of rock ‘n’ roll are undeniably black, so why shouldn’t some of the branches be? In 1985, Reid founded the Black Rock Coalition, a nonprofit with the stated purpose of creating an atmosphere conducive to the maximum development, exposure and acceptance of black alternative music. Part of the organization’s manifesto reads as follows:

“Rock and roll, like practically every form of popular music across the globe, is black music and we are its heirs. We, too, claim the right of creative freedom and access to American and international airwaves, audiences, markets, resources and compensations, irrespective of genre.”

Last year, through Facebook, I learned about Unlocking the Truth, a band from Brooklyn, N.Y., made up of three African-American seventh-grade boys. As I watched them on YouTube blaring chunky guitar-laden rhythms and loving it, my soul was touched.

According to their website (www.unlockingthetruthband.com) their goal is to become one of the world’s best heavy metal bands and encourage their fans to be themselves and not be intimidated by what people say.

In interviews, they have talked about being bullied for their musical choices, but instead of reacting, they channel that negativity into musical creativity.

It used to anger me that white people could embrace hip-hop or soul and that was OK, but I was looked at like I was a Martian because I liked Metallica. Now, I do like many different kinds of music – funk, pop, soul, folk, hip-hop, country – but my first choice will always be music with a cranking guitar.

I still listen to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rush, the Scorpions and Deep Purple, but you probably won’t pull up next to me at a stoplight and hear me blasting them. That’s not because I’m ashamed, it’s because I want to preserve my hearing to be able to rock on for years to come.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at kelvinsbrother@sbcglobal.net.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• LoveleeJanuary 06, 2014 - 5:41 am

My favorite artist is Tech9, he has some "out there" music, but alot of great songs and he often talks about his treatment of being a black artist with a different taste for music. He makes rap, rock, r&b.. its good stuff. They told him he would never fit mainstream music and he always said mainstream music would adjust to fit him.. he is now the top selling independent artist. I grew up in the modern day "emo" rock scene and I have met EVERY race out there enjoying the music..I also enjoy reggae and at first I felt out of place being a white female in that scene but that quickly faded. I can't wait to take my daughter to reggae festivals. Props to Tony! Another great article!

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 11:42 am

Thanks so much, Lovelee!

• Rich GiddensJanuary 06, 2014 - 6:57 am

Tony, if I had anything to say to the young if would be ''the secret to future greatness is to rediscover the glorious past.'' We must rediscover the roots of the classic rock era. I love watching Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey because it explains and tells it all in Dawn of the blues and Day of the blues. Without Robert Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Howlin Wolf, Chuck Berry and even the stride piano and jazz greats there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.

• Who Wrote the Book?..............Maybe Tony !January 06, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:12 am

T-Dub, check out a band called King's X. Hard rock power trio with Beatle-esque harmonies. Their lead singer/bass player is black with a voice that is Jimi Hendrix blues mixed with Paul McCartney.

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:20 am

Doug Pinnick. I am aware of King's X. Not my particular cuppa tea, but I listened to them way back when.

• We should all like what we like and Enjoy! (within limits) because We all BJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:30 am

• Deep Purple - im a lover .1981January 06, 2014 - 9:34 am

• Flamethrower by The J.Geils BandJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:35 am

• Now 4 Something Different.....But slowly, slowlyJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:08 am

• Shhhhh ( 1 more ) learn something new everyday! Gandharba musical instruments NepalJanuary 06, 2014 - 8:31 pm

• Still Report #158 - Trans-Pacific Partnership Really People this is VERY IMPORTANTJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:45 am

Solano College trustees move back ‘home’

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Needs of small dog give Solano man life’s mission

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1, 5 Comments | Gallery

Christmas comes early for prenatal program participants

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A2 | Gallery

Jury convicts teen for role in 2012 DeBartolo’s heist

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3, 3 Comments | Gallery

Police chief: Suisun crime up 3 percent in 2014

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Council OKs $65,730 pact to advocate for Travis base

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Fairfield pays $42,500 to settle soil suit

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Fairfield police log: Dec. 16, 2014

Fairfield police log: Dec. 15, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 16, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 15, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

US, Cuba patch torn relations in historic accord

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Fears fanned by hackers bring down Sony film

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Like Iran, secret diplomacy leads to US-Cuba thaw

Pope played crucial role in US-Cuba rapprochement

US travel industry carefully eyeing Cuba tourism

US-Cuba thaw could benefit farmers, energy and travel firms

Cubans cheer historic renewal of US relations

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 2 Comments

Freed American endured years of declining health

Bay Bridge light sculpture to keep on shining

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 4 Comments

Study: Huge wildfire supports need for controlled burns

A fresh setback for efforts to cure HIV infection

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

14 charged in deadly 2012 meningitis outbreak

Study: Alcatraz inmates could have survived escape

Nigerian court sentences 54 soldiers to death

Colombian rebels announce unilateral cease-fire

Russians flock to stores to pre-empt price rises

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Pakistan buries victims of school massacre

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Crime Witness Protocol 101

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A7, 8 Comments

Editorial Cartoons: Dec. 18, 2014

Today in History: Dec. 18, 2014

Community Calendar: Dec. 18, 2014

Horoscopes: Dec. 18, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

My siblings don’t want to replace abusive mother’s pacemaker

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

25 movies chosen for the National Film Registry

Saving Private Ryan’ among films being preserved

For MLB, changes in Cuba will take time to sort out

Falcons cruise by crushers in girls basketball

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1, 1 Comment | Gallery

49ers release McDonald amid further legal trouble

Carr faces another tough test in rookie season

Painkillers lawsuit against NFL dismissed; may be appealed

Garcia resigns as FIFA prosecutor

Chattanooga women stun No. 7 Stanford 54-46

Track coach Drummond gets 8-year doping suspension

Warriors’ Bogut out with knee injury vs. Thunder

AP source: Romo close to $15M, 2-year deal with Giants

Baseball monitoring White House Cuba decision

APNewsBreak: Judge rejects NCAA concussions deal

This date in sports history for Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014

Health care exchange sign-ups exceeding last year

Fed to be ‘patient’ about a rate hike; stocks soar

McDonald’s in Japan limits orders of fries

Amid scrutiny, Uber says it will focus more on safety

Ernest “Ernie” Moretti