Saturday, April 18, 2015

I am still black and still rockin’

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | January 06, 2014 |

I have written before about how in the past I was kind of embarrassed and even a little ashamed of the fact that I was a black guy who liked hard rock ‘n’ roll music. I got over that years ago. Life is way too short to worry about things you cannot control – namely what other people think about you.

I recently saw a wonderful documentary on Netflix called “A Band Called Death.” It was about three black brothers from Detroit who in the early 1970s made a rock ‘n’ roll band called, well, Death. The protopunk music they created was unique and visionary. It is truly an inspirational and compelling story.

In the 1980s, when I was listening to heavy metal bands like Dio and Judas Priest, there were very few people who looked like me making that kind of music, much less fans attending concerts. I didn’t care. I liked what I liked.

Then in 1988, Living Colour exploded. I remember seeing the video for their song “Cult of Personality” and being blown away. Here were four guys, black like me, who got off on the same thing I did: intelligent lyrics, inventive musicianship and blaring music. I was home.

I went through a phase in the 1980s where I wore a T-shirt with the words “Rockin’ Negro” on it to concerts. It was partly to embrace who I was and partly to assure other concertgoers that the big black guy in the crowd was not a security guard, but there to enjoy the show as well.

I used to feel . . . I don’t know, less than black or something for my musical tastes. In fact, my late brother Ken would sometimes derisively call me “white boy.” I later had a friend from Oakland, who was half-black and who loved the Doobie Brothers and Elton John and other rock artists, but referred to them as, believe it or not, “forbidden music.”

Who do people think invented rock ‘n’ roll? Elvis Presley? Please.

Vernon Reid, the guitarist for Living Colour, once said that the roots of rock ‘n’ roll are undeniably black, so why shouldn’t some of the branches be? In 1985, Reid founded the Black Rock Coalition, a nonprofit with the stated purpose of creating an atmosphere conducive to the maximum development, exposure and acceptance of black alternative music. Part of the organization’s manifesto reads as follows:

“Rock and roll, like practically every form of popular music across the globe, is black music and we are its heirs. We, too, claim the right of creative freedom and access to American and international airwaves, audiences, markets, resources and compensations, irrespective of genre.”

Last year, through Facebook, I learned about Unlocking the Truth, a band from Brooklyn, N.Y., made up of three African-American seventh-grade boys. As I watched them on YouTube blaring chunky guitar-laden rhythms and loving it, my soul was touched.

According to their website (www.unlockingthetruthband.com) their goal is to become one of the world’s best heavy metal bands and encourage their fans to be themselves and not be intimidated by what people say.

In interviews, they have talked about being bullied for their musical choices, but instead of reacting, they channel that negativity into musical creativity.

It used to anger me that white people could embrace hip-hop or soul and that was OK, but I was looked at like I was a Martian because I liked Metallica. Now, I do like many different kinds of music – funk, pop, soul, folk, hip-hop, country – but my first choice will always be music with a cranking guitar.

I still listen to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rush, the Scorpions and Deep Purple, but you probably won’t pull up next to me at a stoplight and hear me blasting them. That’s not because I’m ashamed, it’s because I want to preserve my hearing to be able to rock on for years to come.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected].

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• LoveleeJanuary 06, 2014 - 5:41 am

My favorite artist is Tech9, he has some "out there" music, but alot of great songs and he often talks about his treatment of being a black artist with a different taste for music. He makes rap, rock, r&b.. its good stuff. They told him he would never fit mainstream music and he always said mainstream music would adjust to fit him.. he is now the top selling independent artist. I grew up in the modern day "emo" rock scene and I have met EVERY race out there enjoying the music..I also enjoy reggae and at first I felt out of place being a white female in that scene but that quickly faded. I can't wait to take my daughter to reggae festivals. Props to Tony! Another great article!

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 11:42 am

Thanks so much, Lovelee!

• Rich GiddensJanuary 06, 2014 - 6:57 am

Tony, if I had anything to say to the young if would be ''the secret to future greatness is to rediscover the glorious past.'' We must rediscover the roots of the classic rock era. I love watching Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey because it explains and tells it all in Dawn of the blues and Day of the blues. Without Robert Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Howlin Wolf, Chuck Berry and even the stride piano and jazz greats there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.

• Who Wrote the Book?..............Maybe Tony !January 06, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:12 am

T-Dub, check out a band called King's X. Hard rock power trio with Beatle-esque harmonies. Their lead singer/bass player is black with a voice that is Jimi Hendrix blues mixed with Paul McCartney.

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:20 am

Doug Pinnick. I am aware of King's X. Not my particular cuppa tea, but I listened to them way back when.

• We should all like what we like and Enjoy! (within limits) because We all BJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:30 am

• Deep Purple - im a lover .1981January 06, 2014 - 9:34 am

• Flamethrower by The J.Geils BandJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:35 am

• Now 4 Something Different.....But slowly, slowlyJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:08 am

• Shhhhh ( 1 more ) learn something new everyday! Gandharba musical instruments NepalJanuary 06, 2014 - 8:31 pm

• Still Report #158 - Trans-Pacific Partnership Really People this is VERY IMPORTANTJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:45 am

Fairfield park shooting suspects take plea deals

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A1

Child care program helps teen parents, students

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Wood students entertain guests at Epcot

By Susan Hiland And Susan Winlow | From Page: A2

Vacaville questions state draft plan on water cuts

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Solano County Science Fair continues to grow

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Take stock of where you are now, and act

By Murray Bass | From Page: B8

Fairfield police log: April 16, 2015

Suisun City police log: April 16, 2015

Weather for Saturday, April 18, 2015

Family awarded rights to rare coins

Dog flu outbreak sweeps across the Midwest

AG announces anti-bias training program

Sunken aircraft carrier rediscovered off California coast

Investigators say identity-theft suspect had 74 aliases

‘Opt Out’ of Common Core movement gaining strength

Gas-line blast closes Highway 99, injures at least 11

Iraqi officials believe Saddam’s top deputy killed

Germany mourns citizens lost in plane crash

Following Alps crash, debate over pilotless planes heats up

Time for meaningful financial reform

By Paul A. Volcker | From Page: A8

Today in history: Saturday, April 18, 2015

Community Calendar: April 18, 2015

Horoscopes: April 18, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A7

My daughter is upset that I didn’t attend my former in-law’s funeral

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A7

Idea from Adam Sandler film used to soothe dementia patients

Athletics fall to Royals 6-4 in rematch of AL wild-card game

Warriors, Pelicans enter series with different pedigrees

Prep softball: Seldon powers Rodriguez to victory over Armijo

JC baseball: Falcons win as Pavlovsky, Evans homer

Prep badminton: Mustangs roll to 15-0 win over Wolves

Prep baseball: Haney hurls Vanden to 3-2 win over Benicia

Armijo nears girls soccer title with 2-0 MEL win

SCAC girls roll past MEL 55-28 in All-Star hoops game

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1 | Gallery

SCAC boys slip past MEL in entertaining All-Star game

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Brazil eyes historic medal haul in 2016 Rio Olympics

2 weeks before Mayweather-Pacquiao, not a ticket to be seen

Big Ten’s Delany lays out plan for freshman ineligibility

Collmenter shuts down Giants, gets three hits in D-backs win

In Aaron Hernandez murder case, question lingers: Why?

Merritt’s 61 trumps Masters champion Spieth’s 62

2 minor league baseball teams to test game with 5-pitch rule

NBA could alter schedule, but no change to playoffs, lottery

Coonan stepping down as Santa Clara’s athletic director

Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel says he “let down” fans

49ers fullback Miller at home in Georgia after March arrest

Rockhold hopes win over Machida launches him into contention

Martina Hingis to make singles comeback in Fed Cup match

Injured Giants fan throws out first ball in San Jose

Flyers fire head coach Craig Berube after 2 seasons

Hornets GM Cho: Stephenson ‘didn’t work like we expected’

Before ruling out an upset in NBA East, listen to these guys

Western Conference teams face perilous path to NBA Finals

This date in sports history for April 18

Back on the USA Network: Sports return with NHL playoffs

California home prices hit new 7-year high, sales rebound

Secrecy shrouds decade-old oil spill in Gulf of Mexico

Frederick’s of Hollywood reveals closing of retail stores

Don’t plan to line up for Apple Watch next week

Google shaking up search recommendations on smartphones

Glaxo recalls flu vaccine due to potency problem

Douglas Craig Sparks