Saturday, April 19, 2014

I am still black and still rockin’

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | January 06, 2014 | 12 Comments

I have written before about how in the past I was kind of embarrassed and even a little ashamed of the fact that I was a black guy who liked hard rock ‘n’ roll music. I got over that years ago. Life is way too short to worry about things you cannot control – namely what other people think about you.

I recently saw a wonderful documentary on Netflix called “A Band Called Death.” It was about three black brothers from Detroit who in the early 1970s made a rock ‘n’ roll band called, well, Death. The protopunk music they created was unique and visionary. It is truly an inspirational and compelling story.

In the 1980s, when I was listening to heavy metal bands like Dio and Judas Priest, there were very few people who looked like me making that kind of music, much less fans attending concerts. I didn’t care. I liked what I liked.

Then in 1988, Living Colour exploded. I remember seeing the video for their song “Cult of Personality” and being blown away. Here were four guys, black like me, who got off on the same thing I did: intelligent lyrics, inventive musicianship and blaring music. I was home.

I went through a phase in the 1980s where I wore a T-shirt with the words “Rockin’ Negro” on it to concerts. It was partly to embrace who I was and partly to assure other concertgoers that the big black guy in the crowd was not a security guard, but there to enjoy the show as well.

I used to feel . . . I don’t know, less than black or something for my musical tastes. In fact, my late brother Ken would sometimes derisively call me “white boy.” I later had a friend from Oakland, who was half-black and who loved the Doobie Brothers and Elton John and other rock artists, but referred to them as, believe it or not, “forbidden music.”

Who do people think invented rock ‘n’ roll? Elvis Presley? Please.

Vernon Reid, the guitarist for Living Colour, once said that the roots of rock ‘n’ roll are undeniably black, so why shouldn’t some of the branches be? In 1985, Reid founded the Black Rock Coalition, a nonprofit with the stated purpose of creating an atmosphere conducive to the maximum development, exposure and acceptance of black alternative music. Part of the organization’s manifesto reads as follows:

“Rock and roll, like practically every form of popular music across the globe, is black music and we are its heirs. We, too, claim the right of creative freedom and access to American and international airwaves, audiences, markets, resources and compensations, irrespective of genre.”

Last year, through Facebook, I learned about Unlocking the Truth, a band from Brooklyn, N.Y., made up of three African-American seventh-grade boys. As I watched them on YouTube blaring chunky guitar-laden rhythms and loving it, my soul was touched.

According to their website (www.unlockingthetruthband.com) their goal is to become one of the world’s best heavy metal bands and encourage their fans to be themselves and not be intimidated by what people say.

In interviews, they have talked about being bullied for their musical choices, but instead of reacting, they channel that negativity into musical creativity.

It used to anger me that white people could embrace hip-hop or soul and that was OK, but I was looked at like I was a Martian because I liked Metallica. Now, I do like many different kinds of music – funk, pop, soul, folk, hip-hop, country – but my first choice will always be music with a cranking guitar.

I still listen to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rush, the Scorpions and Deep Purple, but you probably won’t pull up next to me at a stoplight and hear me blasting them. That’s not because I’m ashamed, it’s because I want to preserve my hearing to be able to rock on for years to come.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at kelvinsbrother@sbcglobal.net.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• LoveleeJanuary 06, 2014 - 5:41 am

My favorite artist is Tech9, he has some "out there" music, but alot of great songs and he often talks about his treatment of being a black artist with a different taste for music. He makes rap, rock, r&b.. its good stuff. They told him he would never fit mainstream music and he always said mainstream music would adjust to fit him.. he is now the top selling independent artist. I grew up in the modern day "emo" rock scene and I have met EVERY race out there enjoying the music..I also enjoy reggae and at first I felt out of place being a white female in that scene but that quickly faded. I can't wait to take my daughter to reggae festivals. Props to Tony! Another great article!

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 11:42 am

Thanks so much, Lovelee!

• Rich GiddensJanuary 06, 2014 - 6:57 am

Tony, if I had anything to say to the young if would be ''the secret to future greatness is to rediscover the glorious past.'' We must rediscover the roots of the classic rock era. I love watching Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey because it explains and tells it all in Dawn of the blues and Day of the blues. Without Robert Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Howlin Wolf, Chuck Berry and even the stride piano and jazz greats there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.

• Who Wrote the Book?..............Maybe Tony !January 06, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:12 am

T-Dub, check out a band called King's X. Hard rock power trio with Beatle-esque harmonies. Their lead singer/bass player is black with a voice that is Jimi Hendrix blues mixed with Paul McCartney.

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:20 am

Doug Pinnick. I am aware of King's X. Not my particular cuppa tea, but I listened to them way back when.

• We should all like what we like and Enjoy! (within limits) because We all BJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:30 am

• Deep Purple - im a lover .1981January 06, 2014 - 9:34 am

• Flamethrower by The J.Geils BandJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:35 am

• Now 4 Something Different.....But slowly, slowlyJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:08 am

• Shhhhh ( 1 more ) learn something new everyday! Gandharba musical instruments NepalJanuary 06, 2014 - 8:31 pm

• Still Report #158 - Trans-Pacific Partnership Really People this is VERY IMPORTANTJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:45 am

Solano unemployment inches downward

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 2 Comments

Transplant recipients talk about their best gifts

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Fairfield council candidates weigh in on crime

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3, 3 Comments | Gallery

Police release name of woman found dead in Fairfield canal

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Spering, Bertani spar over fighting crime

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3, 32 Comments | Gallery

Five homes featured on Symphony Home Tour

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Congregation invites public to Easter music, message

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Local woman helps spread Easter joy

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B12 | Gallery

Weather for April 19, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B13

California farmers to get more water

Teen sentenced in Oakland toddler’s killing

More Latino than white students admitted to UC

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 3 Comments

Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review

From Clinton to Obama, many parallels

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Study: Half of jailed NYC youths have brain injury

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

PG&E to be arraigned in fatal pipeline blast

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Mom and son who died in San Francisco fire ID’d

3 alleged gang members convicted of murder

Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot edibles

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

NASA’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down as planned

Atheist national conference aims at Mormon church

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 5 Comments

Easter on 4/20, pot holy day; pastors reach out

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

Some countries get Obama, but want his wife, too

By The Associated Press | From Page: A9, 1 Comment

Man who avoided prison is overwhelmed by support

Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom

By The Associated Press | From Page: A9, 1 Comment

White House updating online privacy policy

SpaceX making Easter delivery of station supplies

Sudden movement raises alarm in Wyoming slide area

In Egypt, a corruption watchdog hit by backlash

Military scales down, modifies Guam buildup plan

Captain of sunken SKorean ferry arrested

Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12

Diplomacy doesn’t move insurgents in Ukraine

Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital

57-nation OSCE plays key Ukraine monitoring role

Ukraine crisis: The turning points

Here we go again in Sacramento

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 9 Comments

Cheers, jeers for the week of April 13-19, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A11

Editorial Cartoons for April 19, 2014

Today in History for April 19, 2014

Community Calendar: April 19, 2014

Seniors, it’s never too late to do something about your health

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B7

Horoscopes for April 19, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B7

Prince reaches agreement with music label

‘The Boondocks’ back for final ‘offensive’ season

A nutty finale for ‘Scandal,’ TV’s craziest show

Stratocaster still a favorite at 60

Ross, Padres beat Cain and Giants 2-1

A’s come out swinging to beat Astros 11-3

Warriors to start O’Neal for Bogut vs. Clippers

Hertl has impressive playoff debut for Sharks

Warriors and Clippers take dislike to playoffs

Big innings lift Mustangs over Indians

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

’40-and-up club’: Ageless Hopkins after more belts

Jimenez shoots 65 to lead Greater Gwinnett field

Solano scores in ninth for 2-1 BVC baseball win over Yuba

Choi leads rain-delayed RBC Heritage

NBA’s Silver wants age limit change, no rush on others

NBA playoffs looking more wide-open than expected

Source: Grizzlies’ G Calathes suspended for 20 games

Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12

Mets trade 1B Ike Davis to Pirates

TNT’s Sager to miss NBA playoffs due to leukemia

Nadal ousted by Ferrer in Monte Carlo quarters

A’s lefty reliever Doolittle gets 5-year deal

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment | Gallery

Judge says American can’t end retiree benefits yet

Mazda recalls 109,000 older SUVs for rust problem