Monday, October 20, 2014

I am still black and still rockin’

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | January 06, 2014 |

I have written before about how in the past I was kind of embarrassed and even a little ashamed of the fact that I was a black guy who liked hard rock ‘n’ roll music. I got over that years ago. Life is way too short to worry about things you cannot control – namely what other people think about you.

I recently saw a wonderful documentary on Netflix called “A Band Called Death.” It was about three black brothers from Detroit who in the early 1970s made a rock ‘n’ roll band called, well, Death. The protopunk music they created was unique and visionary. It is truly an inspirational and compelling story.

In the 1980s, when I was listening to heavy metal bands like Dio and Judas Priest, there were very few people who looked like me making that kind of music, much less fans attending concerts. I didn’t care. I liked what I liked.

Then in 1988, Living Colour exploded. I remember seeing the video for their song “Cult of Personality” and being blown away. Here were four guys, black like me, who got off on the same thing I did: intelligent lyrics, inventive musicianship and blaring music. I was home.

I went through a phase in the 1980s where I wore a T-shirt with the words “Rockin’ Negro” on it to concerts. It was partly to embrace who I was and partly to assure other concertgoers that the big black guy in the crowd was not a security guard, but there to enjoy the show as well.

I used to feel . . . I don’t know, less than black or something for my musical tastes. In fact, my late brother Ken would sometimes derisively call me “white boy.” I later had a friend from Oakland, who was half-black and who loved the Doobie Brothers and Elton John and other rock artists, but referred to them as, believe it or not, “forbidden music.”

Who do people think invented rock ‘n’ roll? Elvis Presley? Please.

Vernon Reid, the guitarist for Living Colour, once said that the roots of rock ‘n’ roll are undeniably black, so why shouldn’t some of the branches be? In 1985, Reid founded the Black Rock Coalition, a nonprofit with the stated purpose of creating an atmosphere conducive to the maximum development, exposure and acceptance of black alternative music. Part of the organization’s manifesto reads as follows:

“Rock and roll, like practically every form of popular music across the globe, is black music and we are its heirs. We, too, claim the right of creative freedom and access to American and international airwaves, audiences, markets, resources and compensations, irrespective of genre.”

Last year, through Facebook, I learned about Unlocking the Truth, a band from Brooklyn, N.Y., made up of three African-American seventh-grade boys. As I watched them on YouTube blaring chunky guitar-laden rhythms and loving it, my soul was touched.

According to their website (www.unlockingthetruthband.com) their goal is to become one of the world’s best heavy metal bands and encourage their fans to be themselves and not be intimidated by what people say.

In interviews, they have talked about being bullied for their musical choices, but instead of reacting, they channel that negativity into musical creativity.

It used to anger me that white people could embrace hip-hop or soul and that was OK, but I was looked at like I was a Martian because I liked Metallica. Now, I do like many different kinds of music – funk, pop, soul, folk, hip-hop, country – but my first choice will always be music with a cranking guitar.

I still listen to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rush, the Scorpions and Deep Purple, but you probably won’t pull up next to me at a stoplight and hear me blasting them. That’s not because I’m ashamed, it’s because I want to preserve my hearing to be able to rock on for years to come.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at kelvinsbrother@sbcglobal.net.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• LoveleeJanuary 06, 2014 - 5:41 am

My favorite artist is Tech9, he has some "out there" music, but alot of great songs and he often talks about his treatment of being a black artist with a different taste for music. He makes rap, rock, r&b.. its good stuff. They told him he would never fit mainstream music and he always said mainstream music would adjust to fit him.. he is now the top selling independent artist. I grew up in the modern day "emo" rock scene and I have met EVERY race out there enjoying the music..I also enjoy reggae and at first I felt out of place being a white female in that scene but that quickly faded. I can't wait to take my daughter to reggae festivals. Props to Tony! Another great article!

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 11:42 am

Thanks so much, Lovelee!

• Rich GiddensJanuary 06, 2014 - 6:57 am

Tony, if I had anything to say to the young if would be ''the secret to future greatness is to rediscover the glorious past.'' We must rediscover the roots of the classic rock era. I love watching Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey because it explains and tells it all in Dawn of the blues and Day of the blues. Without Robert Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Howlin Wolf, Chuck Berry and even the stride piano and jazz greats there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.

• Who Wrote the Book?..............Maybe Tony !January 06, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:12 am

T-Dub, check out a band called King's X. Hard rock power trio with Beatle-esque harmonies. Their lead singer/bass player is black with a voice that is Jimi Hendrix blues mixed with Paul McCartney.

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:20 am

Doug Pinnick. I am aware of King's X. Not my particular cuppa tea, but I listened to them way back when.

• We should all like what we like and Enjoy! (within limits) because We all BJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:30 am

• Deep Purple - im a lover .1981January 06, 2014 - 9:34 am

• Flamethrower by The J.Geils BandJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:35 am

• Now 4 Something Different.....But slowly, slowlyJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:08 am

• Shhhhh ( 1 more ) learn something new everyday! Gandharba musical instruments NepalJanuary 06, 2014 - 8:31 pm

• Still Report #158 - Trans-Pacific Partnership Really People this is VERY IMPORTANTJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:45 am

Girl Scouts explore sweet side of chemistry

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Time again for my Cheers and Jeers

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2, 6 Comments

Total Home, Garden & Harvest Festival wraps up

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Pumpkin Patch Festival set for final weekend

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A3

Sessions teach about child support process

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A3

Arrivederci! Italian Festival

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Red Kettle Program returns for holidays

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

Holiday Fashion Extravaganza registration deadline looms

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A3

Elder depression and substance abuse topic of discussion

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A3

Vacaville library to host composting series

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A3

Senior Center hosts monthly travel presentation

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A3

Napa man jailed for running over ex-girlfriend

By Staff and wire reports | From Page: A4, 2 Comments

Local governments schedule meetings

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Weather for Monday, Oct. 20, 2014

Expelled Nazis paid millions in Social Security

Cruise ship docks with Ebola-watched health worker

Friends, family of Ebola patient reach milestone

Obama switches gears, confronting Ebola head on

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 2 Comments

CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps team

California lottery sales top $5B for first time

Archaeologists seek movie set in California sands

The 10 semifinalists for World’s Funniest Person

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

On the road to find the world’s funniest person

New England raking in millions from leaf peepers

Police hunt for clues near where Va. remains found

Super drunk woman arrested, mistook jail for bar

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Robotic device helps paralyzed groom walk aisle

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Coroner: 6 fire victims died of smoke inhalation

Pope beatifies Paul VI at remarkable synod’s end

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

S. Korea: 2 Koreas exchange gunfire along border

Sweden: 3 credible sightings in submarine search

5 Things to Know about Pope Paul VI

UN says Iraq has executed 60 people this year

Marine accused in Philippine killing tests US ties

Is it truly affordable health care?

By Jim Mccully | From Page: A8, 21 Comments

Suisun mayor offers his endorsements

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 7 Comments

Which candidates support Alzheimer’s cure?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Comedians honor Jay Leno with humor prize in DC

Report: Nashville songwriter Paul Craft dies at 76

Reported ‘Easy Rider’ chopper sells at auction

‘New Girl,’ ‘Cosmos’ win Environmental Media Award

‘Fury’ blasts ‘Gone Girl’ from top of box office

Manning breaks Favre’s TD mark in 42-17 win over 49ers

Tim Lincecum waits his turn, still yet to pitch

Keselowski keeps title hopes alive at Talladega

Palmer leads Cardinals past Raiders 24-13

Kings pick up G Ben McLemore’s option

Rockets beat Warriors 90-83 in exhibition game

Pacquiao makes professional basketball debut

Cal receiver Trevor Davis released from hospital

Sounders rally for 2-2 tie with LA Galaxy

Rangers net 2 in 4 seconds; Lundqvist stops Sharks

NFL roundup: Jaguars bounce Browns, gets first win

SEC is 1st conference to put 4 in top 5 of AP poll

Ski champ Svindal injured while playing soccer

Serena Williams hits back at Russian official

This date in sports history for Monday, Oct. 20, 2014

Royals dependent on 3-headed bullpen monster

Hend wins Hong Kong Open in a playoff

Baek wins playoff to take LPGA South Korea

Ilonen beats Stenson in World Match Play final

Jay Haas wins Greater Hickory Kia Classic

Ben Martin wins 1st PGA Tour title in Las Vegas

Denkinger’s miss revisited as Series returns to KC

Facebook, Apple pay for egg freezing, sperm donors

B.C. Oct 20