Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I am still black and still rockin’

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | January 06, 2014 |

I have written before about how in the past I was kind of embarrassed and even a little ashamed of the fact that I was a black guy who liked hard rock ‘n’ roll music. I got over that years ago. Life is way too short to worry about things you cannot control – namely what other people think about you.

I recently saw a wonderful documentary on Netflix called “A Band Called Death.” It was about three black brothers from Detroit who in the early 1970s made a rock ‘n’ roll band called, well, Death. The protopunk music they created was unique and visionary. It is truly an inspirational and compelling story.

In the 1980s, when I was listening to heavy metal bands like Dio and Judas Priest, there were very few people who looked like me making that kind of music, much less fans attending concerts. I didn’t care. I liked what I liked.

Then in 1988, Living Colour exploded. I remember seeing the video for their song “Cult of Personality” and being blown away. Here were four guys, black like me, who got off on the same thing I did: intelligent lyrics, inventive musicianship and blaring music. I was home.

I went through a phase in the 1980s where I wore a T-shirt with the words “Rockin’ Negro” on it to concerts. It was partly to embrace who I was and partly to assure other concertgoers that the big black guy in the crowd was not a security guard, but there to enjoy the show as well.

I used to feel . . . I don’t know, less than black or something for my musical tastes. In fact, my late brother Ken would sometimes derisively call me “white boy.” I later had a friend from Oakland, who was half-black and who loved the Doobie Brothers and Elton John and other rock artists, but referred to them as, believe it or not, “forbidden music.”

Who do people think invented rock ‘n’ roll? Elvis Presley? Please.

Vernon Reid, the guitarist for Living Colour, once said that the roots of rock ‘n’ roll are undeniably black, so why shouldn’t some of the branches be? In 1985, Reid founded the Black Rock Coalition, a nonprofit with the stated purpose of creating an atmosphere conducive to the maximum development, exposure and acceptance of black alternative music. Part of the organization’s manifesto reads as follows:

“Rock and roll, like practically every form of popular music across the globe, is black music and we are its heirs. We, too, claim the right of creative freedom and access to American and international airwaves, audiences, markets, resources and compensations, irrespective of genre.”

Last year, through Facebook, I learned about Unlocking the Truth, a band from Brooklyn, N.Y., made up of three African-American seventh-grade boys. As I watched them on YouTube blaring chunky guitar-laden rhythms and loving it, my soul was touched.

According to their website (www.unlockingthetruthband.com) their goal is to become one of the world’s best heavy metal bands and encourage their fans to be themselves and not be intimidated by what people say.

In interviews, they have talked about being bullied for their musical choices, but instead of reacting, they channel that negativity into musical creativity.

It used to anger me that white people could embrace hip-hop or soul and that was OK, but I was looked at like I was a Martian because I liked Metallica. Now, I do like many different kinds of music – funk, pop, soul, folk, hip-hop, country – but my first choice will always be music with a cranking guitar.

I still listen to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rush, the Scorpions and Deep Purple, but you probably won’t pull up next to me at a stoplight and hear me blasting them. That’s not because I’m ashamed, it’s because I want to preserve my hearing to be able to rock on for years to come.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at kelvinsbrother@sbcglobal.net.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• LoveleeJanuary 06, 2014 - 5:41 am

My favorite artist is Tech9, he has some "out there" music, but alot of great songs and he often talks about his treatment of being a black artist with a different taste for music. He makes rap, rock, r&b.. its good stuff. They told him he would never fit mainstream music and he always said mainstream music would adjust to fit him.. he is now the top selling independent artist. I grew up in the modern day "emo" rock scene and I have met EVERY race out there enjoying the music..I also enjoy reggae and at first I felt out of place being a white female in that scene but that quickly faded. I can't wait to take my daughter to reggae festivals. Props to Tony! Another great article!

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 11:42 am

Thanks so much, Lovelee!

• Rich GiddensJanuary 06, 2014 - 6:57 am

Tony, if I had anything to say to the young if would be ''the secret to future greatness is to rediscover the glorious past.'' We must rediscover the roots of the classic rock era. I love watching Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey because it explains and tells it all in Dawn of the blues and Day of the blues. Without Robert Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Howlin Wolf, Chuck Berry and even the stride piano and jazz greats there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.

• Who Wrote the Book?..............Maybe Tony !January 06, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Jason KnowlesJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:12 am

T-Dub, check out a band called King's X. Hard rock power trio with Beatle-esque harmonies. Their lead singer/bass player is black with a voice that is Jimi Hendrix blues mixed with Paul McCartney.

• Tony WadeJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:20 am

Doug Pinnick. I am aware of King's X. Not my particular cuppa tea, but I listened to them way back when.

• We should all like what we like and Enjoy! (within limits) because We all BJanuary 06, 2014 - 9:30 am

• Deep Purple - im a lover .1981January 06, 2014 - 9:34 am

• Flamethrower by The J.Geils BandJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:35 am

• Now 4 Something Different.....But slowly, slowlyJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:08 am

• Shhhhh ( 1 more ) learn something new everyday! Gandharba musical instruments NepalJanuary 06, 2014 - 8:31 pm

• Still Report #158 - Trans-Pacific Partnership Really People this is VERY IMPORTANTJanuary 06, 2014 - 10:45 am

Ryde Hotel: A speakeasy from the past

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Walnut Grove shows a bit of historic Japan

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Walnut Grove: Fun facts, things to see

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Solano County supervisors get raise

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A2, 10 Comments

Solano supervisors declare quake state of emergency

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3

Solano helps after Napa quake

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Weather for Aug. 27, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B3

Solano promotes hand washing

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

Solano College to host college transfer fair

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A6

Golf tournament to benefit college sport’s teams

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A6

Man steals car from Fairfield resident

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A6, 6 Comments

Learn about local travel opportunities

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6

Pierce Brosnan thriller kicks off week’s new films

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: Aug. 24, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: Aug. 23, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Fairfield police log: Aug. 25, 2014

UN panel: Global warming human-caused, dangerous

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 1 Comment

Obama defends handling of veterans affairs issues

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 9 Comments

Arab strikes in Libya show impatience with US

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 1 Comment

AP sources: US surveillance planes fly over Syria

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 2 Comments

Napa quake stirs clamor for warning system

American woman held hostage in Syria

Putin and Poroshenko meet for bilateral talks

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 1 Comment

Group files petition to idle coastal nuke plant

Israel, Hamas agree to open-ended Gaza cease-fire

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 1 Comment

Los Angeles schools halt iPad deal amid criticism

Report finds 1,400 children exploited in UK town

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 1 Comment

Police: Slain woman ID’d ex-deputy as her attacker

Officials: Instructor accidentally killed by girl

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 11 Comments

Judges blast Indiana, Wisconsin gay marriage bans

How to reduce taxes without busting the budget

By Ramesh Ponnuru | From Page: A11

Abandoned carts are everyone’s responsibility

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 11 Comments

Editorial cartoons for Aug. 27, 2014

Question of the week: Is US policy on hostages correct?

By Daily Republic | From Page: A11

Obama risks alienating Latinos from Dems

By Thomas Elias | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Today in History: Aug. 27, 2014

Community Calendar: Aug. 27, 2014

We were good parents. Why won’t our adult children help us out?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B6

Horoscopes: Aug. 27, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B6

Banishing the blues with healthy blueberry muffins

By Sara Moulton | From Page: B7

Choosing chutney

By Mcclatchy-Tribune News Service | From Page: B7

Women talk about sports on CBS Sports Network

Miley Cyrus’ date wanted by Oregon police

NBC’s Emmycast logs robust 15.6 million viewership

US teen Bellis, 15, stuns Cibulkova at US Open

Raiders CB DJ Hayden to start season on PUP list

49ers prepare for possible Aldon Smith suspension

Serena Williams beats American teen at US Open

Carter’s HR in 8th leads Astros over A’s 4-2

Love struck: Kevin Love pledges commitment to Cavs

Sarkisian: USC looking into Shaw’s heroic story

Davis, US men beat Slovenia in basketball exhibition

Latest Astrodome proposal: massive indoor park

Bumgarner flirts with perfection, finishes with 1-hitter in Giants win

No reason to feel sorry for Jim Furyk

TMS 2015 schedule springs back to night race

UN health agency urges crackdown on e-cigarettes

Survey: US consumer confidence near a 7-year high