Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Here are some of my pet peeves

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | April 14, 2014 |

I try to cultivate an attitude of gratitude most days, but don’t always succeed. When I don’t, it’s usually because I have been exposed to one of my numerous pet peeves. Here is a partial list:

Public speakers who talk too long: I don’t care if you are giving a stirring speech using impressive elocution; if you talk too long, the only thing people will remember is that you talked too long. Worse is when the speaker is oblivious to hints an audience gives that are signals it is time to close. People leaving, playing on their cellphones, snoring loudly or screaming “Shut up, already!” are subtle hints you may want to pick up on.

Female flaws seekers: There is a scene in the movie “Mean Girls” where, one by one, teenage girls look at themselves in the mirror and point out their “flaws.” Many grown women (not all) that I know seem to have this same weird thing of looking at themselves and seeing only “imperfections.” I maintain several websites and Facebook pages and I’ve learned to never post a picture of a woman unless it has been cleared by her. I have been stunned by women telling me that a picture of them was “ugly” or “horrible” when it was anything but. I know ugly and horrible pictures because I have many of myself. The difference is, I embrace them and also keep one with me at all times to whip out and disarm would-be muggers.

Breakers of unwritten but well-known rules: If two men have to use side-by-side urinals and they know each other, they can talk – keeping eyes straight ahead at the wall, of course. However, if you do not know someone, you never talk to them at that time. Some guy not only broke that rule with me in the library bathroom last week, but also asked me a question I hate: “Did you play basketball?” He attempted to follow it up with others about sports in general, but I utilized the Blasting the Hand Dryer Distraction Tactic and pretended I couldn’t hear him.

Supermarket zombies: People shuffling around so engrossed in the latest flavor of Pop Tarts that they run into you with their cart tick me off. I deal with supermarket zombies the same way they are dealt with on ‘The Walking Dead” – a blow to the dome. Albeit in this case nonlethal.

Young people wearing my rock T-shirts: I appreciate that many kids at my daughter’s high school like classic rock groups such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Pink Floyd, but when I start wearing ones from their era – Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and that would be never – then they can start wearing ones from mine.

Not knowing the answer to the driver’s wave mystery: The open hand wave that means “thank you” that we give to another driver who, say, lets us into traffic, is perplexing. Who came up with that? How come we don’t do that anywhere else? Why is the Driver’s Apology Wave so similar?

Technology that is not as cool as what came before: When compact discs first came out, the one thing that bugged me was they were not as compact as their predecessors – cassette tapes that could fit into your pocket. My Blu-ray player replaced my DVD player that, in turn, replaced my VCR. With the VCR, I always had the option to fast forward through the previews at the beginning. The Blu-ray? Uh, no. When I try to do that, the machine informs me with a rather snotty graphic that “That option is not available at this time” and holds me hostage. I then consider my act of muting the sound a small victory.

People who think Facebook is just a waste of time: A Facebook friend recently posted “Describe Your Last Fart Using Only A Movie Title.” Some of the hysterical answers people submitted included “A Mighty Wind,” “Breaking Away,” “How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days,” “The Toxic Avenger,” “Waiting to Exhale” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” See? Facebook inspires creativity.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected]

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Rita GoldenApril 14, 2014 - 1:32 am

One of my pet peeves.....Someone writing articles for a news paper and 9 out of 10 of those articles are about himself. Can you say "NARCISSIST"?

• Mr. PracticalApril 14, 2014 - 5:31 am

My biggest pet peeve is people that have become so bitter that good humor goes right over their heads.

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 6:14 am

Well you could say Narcissist, but since this is in print, it would be more effective to write it.

• Tony WadeApril 14, 2014 - 7:32 am

One of my other pet peeves is people with incorrect data. Actually, 9.73 of my columns are about me. And I am NOT a narcissist. That is WAY too high falutin' of a word. I prefer Navel Gazer. I actually was going to write this column about someone else, namely Joe Schmo from Kokomo, but it turns out one of his pet peeves is having navel-gazing columnists write about his pet peeves.

• CD BrooksApril 14, 2014 - 6:25 am

Fun stuff Tony! Still laughing over the urinal thing!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:09 am

Or, you could have entitled the piece as "YOUR pet peeves"! YOu could parlay that into a daily feature that could run years (and possibly syndication)! I'm telling you, Tony, its a gold mine!!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:22 am

Wait a minute, what if Tony cleverly planted the retort about articles about himself just to elict responses about himself, and then respond to those comments about articles about himself? Now THAT would be the epitome of navel-gazing. I shall never view Tony's articles about himself the same again. Oh the humanity!

• LindaApril 14, 2014 - 7:28 pm

I have several also. One that really annoys me is people who don't use turn signals. When you get to a stop sign and procede to go straight and someone turns in front of you. Another one is traveling north on Sunset from Pintail and people get in the turn lane to go to Railroad Ave. but when they get to the light they cut over to the lane going straight. I've even seen someone wait at the red light and then step on it as soon as it turns green to get over to the lane going straight.

Records detail shooting victim’s court history

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A1, 31 Comments | Gallery

Vallejo youth wins county spelling bee

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1 | Gallery

25th annual Rush Ranch Open House on April calendar

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A2

Saturday Club schedules Shower of Flowers event

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Vacaville to break ground for new fire station

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4

Symphony opportunity, scholarships available

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A4

City manager begins State of the City talks

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4

Searchers find 84-year-old missing nearly a day

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4, 1 Comment | Gallery

Free Healthier Living workshops begin this week

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Music teachers receive program grants

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A5

Group plans Haiti missions fundraisers

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6, 2 Comments

Travel presentation ready to roll in Vacaville

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6

Vallejo woman hit, killed by vehicle

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A6

Workshops offer information on child support process

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A6

Water park to host first Easter egg hunt, swim

Helen Mirren film set for debut

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B9 | Gallery

Frazier to deliver keynote at Solano EDC event

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: B10

WIB to host regional career fair

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: B10 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: March 29, 2015

Fairfield police log: March 28, 2015

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A14, 2 Comments

Suisun City police log: March 29, 2015

Suisun City police log: March 28, 2015

Man struck by car, injured

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A14

Papers receive emails from people claiming to be kidnappers

Police: Man, woman found dead after medical office shooting

Endangered bighorn sheep moved to Yosemite, Sequoia parks

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Family: Man dead at Hollywood Hills home is Andrew Getty

Tuskegee Airman Leslie A. Williams dies in California at 95

California man attemps Guinness record as oldest pilot

3D print technology provides ‘robohand’ to 7-year-old girl

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Defense rests in 1st phase of Boston Marathon bombing trial

State Department found 4 emails about drones sent by Clinton

Woman charged with stabbing boyfriend after salsa argument

Police: Prisoner who stole gun, fled hospital found in DC

US releases military aid to Egypt, cites national security

Indiana governor wants changes to religious-objections law

Dress-wearing man killed by NSA police had lengthy record

Exercising critically ill patients may help speed recovery

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Transportation strike shuts down Argentina

Nigerian troops prevent Boko Haram attacks

Iran nuke talks extend past deadline

Relief program paid millions for ‘flawed’ work

Buhari defeats Goodluck Jonathan in Nigerian election

Rebuild Gaza to avert next war

By Former President Jimmy Carter | From Page: A13

Reid’s US Senate legacy: Obstruction

By Jennifer Rubin | From Page: A13, 20 Comments

State moves up national school spending chart

By Dan Walters | From Page: A13

Today in history: April 1, 2015

By Maureen Fissolo | From Page: A2

Community Calendar: April 1, 2015

Horoscopes: April 1, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B7

Should we sent wedding invitations to relatives we know can’t come?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B7

Dressing up spring asparagus with an easy brown butter sauce

Olympic champ Gabby Douglas’ family to get reality show

Raiders release DT Antonio Smith

Tennessee hires former Texas coach Rick Barnes

Thunder star Kevin Durant has bone graft surgery

Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey showing off versatility

NASCAR driver Kyle Larson released from hospital

Barry Zito’s scoreless streak ends; A’s beat Angels 13-10

Cubs will track noise so Wrigley rehab doesn’t disturb fans

Lincecum pitches into 6th in Giants’ win over Rockies

AP’s Run to the Roses: Mubtaahij No. 8; Dortmund still No. 1

Michigan State title would be worth $1 million to Vegas man

AP study projects average MLB salary tops $4M

University of North Dakota begins campaign to find nickname

Judge rules Ernie Banks will is valid

Kentucky’s platoon system gives way to traditional rotation

Chris Mullin returns home to coach St. John’s

Soccer player at center of search killed crossing LA freeway

Frozen Four will be old home week for BU coach David Quinn

Rio Olympic tickets go on sale despite football uncertainty

Tiger Woods plays practice round at Augusta

Online craft retailer Etsy preps for IPO

Many trucks being driven beyond designed top speed

Buffet expected to buy dealerships

San Bruno supports higher fine

Google to release their cheapest laptop yet

Several charged in Medicaid shoe fraud

Fast food organizers expand their campaign

Carlos Penados