Sunday, April 26, 2015

Here are some of my pet peeves

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | April 14, 2014 |

I try to cultivate an attitude of gratitude most days, but don’t always succeed. When I don’t, it’s usually because I have been exposed to one of my numerous pet peeves. Here is a partial list:

Public speakers who talk too long: I don’t care if you are giving a stirring speech using impressive elocution; if you talk too long, the only thing people will remember is that you talked too long. Worse is when the speaker is oblivious to hints an audience gives that are signals it is time to close. People leaving, playing on their cellphones, snoring loudly or screaming “Shut up, already!” are subtle hints you may want to pick up on.

Female flaws seekers: There is a scene in the movie “Mean Girls” where, one by one, teenage girls look at themselves in the mirror and point out their “flaws.” Many grown women (not all) that I know seem to have this same weird thing of looking at themselves and seeing only “imperfections.” I maintain several websites and Facebook pages and I’ve learned to never post a picture of a woman unless it has been cleared by her. I have been stunned by women telling me that a picture of them was “ugly” or “horrible” when it was anything but. I know ugly and horrible pictures because I have many of myself. The difference is, I embrace them and also keep one with me at all times to whip out and disarm would-be muggers.

Breakers of unwritten but well-known rules: If two men have to use side-by-side urinals and they know each other, they can talk – keeping eyes straight ahead at the wall, of course. However, if you do not know someone, you never talk to them at that time. Some guy not only broke that rule with me in the library bathroom last week, but also asked me a question I hate: “Did you play basketball?” He attempted to follow it up with others about sports in general, but I utilized the Blasting the Hand Dryer Distraction Tactic and pretended I couldn’t hear him.

Supermarket zombies: People shuffling around so engrossed in the latest flavor of Pop Tarts that they run into you with their cart tick me off. I deal with supermarket zombies the same way they are dealt with on ‘The Walking Dead” – a blow to the dome. Albeit in this case nonlethal.

Young people wearing my rock T-shirts: I appreciate that many kids at my daughter’s high school like classic rock groups such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Pink Floyd, but when I start wearing ones from their era – Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and that would be never – then they can start wearing ones from mine.

Not knowing the answer to the driver’s wave mystery: The open hand wave that means “thank you” that we give to another driver who, say, lets us into traffic, is perplexing. Who came up with that? How come we don’t do that anywhere else? Why is the Driver’s Apology Wave so similar?

Technology that is not as cool as what came before: When compact discs first came out, the one thing that bugged me was they were not as compact as their predecessors – cassette tapes that could fit into your pocket. My Blu-ray player replaced my DVD player that, in turn, replaced my VCR. With the VCR, I always had the option to fast forward through the previews at the beginning. The Blu-ray? Uh, no. When I try to do that, the machine informs me with a rather snotty graphic that “That option is not available at this time” and holds me hostage. I then consider my act of muting the sound a small victory.

People who think Facebook is just a waste of time: A Facebook friend recently posted “Describe Your Last Fart Using Only A Movie Title.” Some of the hysterical answers people submitted included “A Mighty Wind,” “Breaking Away,” “How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days,” “The Toxic Avenger,” “Waiting to Exhale” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” See? Facebook inspires creativity.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected]

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Rita GoldenApril 14, 2014 - 1:32 am

One of my pet peeves.....Someone writing articles for a news paper and 9 out of 10 of those articles are about himself. Can you say "NARCISSIST"?

• Mr. PracticalApril 14, 2014 - 5:31 am

My biggest pet peeve is people that have become so bitter that good humor goes right over their heads.

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 6:14 am

Well you could say Narcissist, but since this is in print, it would be more effective to write it.

• Tony WadeApril 14, 2014 - 7:32 am

One of my other pet peeves is people with incorrect data. Actually, 9.73 of my columns are about me. And I am NOT a narcissist. That is WAY too high falutin' of a word. I prefer Navel Gazer. I actually was going to write this column about someone else, namely Joe Schmo from Kokomo, but it turns out one of his pet peeves is having navel-gazing columnists write about his pet peeves.

• CD BrooksApril 14, 2014 - 6:25 am

Fun stuff Tony! Still laughing over the urinal thing!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:09 am

Or, you could have entitled the piece as "YOUR pet peeves"! YOu could parlay that into a daily feature that could run years (and possibly syndication)! I'm telling you, Tony, its a gold mine!!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:22 am

Wait a minute, what if Tony cleverly planted the retort about articles about himself just to elict responses about himself, and then respond to those comments about articles about himself? Now THAT would be the epitome of navel-gazing. I shall never view Tony's articles about himself the same again. Oh the humanity!

• LindaApril 14, 2014 - 7:28 pm

I have several also. One that really annoys me is people who don't use turn signals. When you get to a stop sign and procede to go straight and someone turns in front of you. Another one is traveling north on Sunset from Pintail and people get in the turn lane to go to Railroad Ave. but when they get to the light they cut over to the lane going straight. I've even seen someone wait at the red light and then step on it as soon as it turns green to get over to the lane going straight.

Children enjoy day of fishing at Fairfield pond

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Solano cities celebrate Earth Day

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Hard-fought battle ends in victory

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1 | Gallery

Those addictive, terrible, wonderful smartphones

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Expo shows Kroc Center fun for whole Framily

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Edibles in your landscape

By Daily Republic | From Page: C4

CHP offers free class for senior drivers

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Supervisors consider changes in various county fees

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Suisun police execute tobacco sting

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A4

Covered California offers Solano enrollment events

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Patrons raise a glass to toast a good cause

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Walk MS hits stride along Suisun waterfront

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

Weather for Sunday, April 26, 2015

Be wary of next ‘big’ thing

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

Pay close attention to investment costs

By Mark Sievers | From Page: B7, 1 Comment

With legalization, lawyers turn to business of pot

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Spring storm delivers late rain, snow to Northern California

Remains of dismembered newborn found in South Los Angeles

Starbucks stores reopen Saturday after computer glitch

Nearly 17 million watch Jenner interview

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

‘Operation Babylift’ kids, soldiers reunite 40 years later

Aden hit by coalition airstrikes amid fierce street battles

Mother in custody dispute freed after 8 years behind bars

Italy marks 70th anniversary of anti-Nazi uprising

European authorities stop illegal horse meat network

Italian navy rescues 274 from migrant ship off Libyan coast

Army shutting down wounded warrior transition care units

Warrior pose: Yoga catching on as therapy for veterans’ PTSD

By The Washington Post | From Page: B10

Toll climbs after powerful quake hits Nepal: Things to Know

How can we give them more?

By Brian Thiemer | From Page: A8, 5 Comments

Primary challenge could force Harris’ hand

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Sound off for April 26, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Corruption tarnishes values of our ancestors

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Obama sides with enemy

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 6 Comments

Who’s asleep at the switch?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Today in history: Sunday, April 26

Brides show short wedding gowns more of the love

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Community Calendar: April 26, 2015

Vatican goes on offensive to defend US-Spanish saint

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

You get what you need with Jesus

By Noel Reese | From Page: C3, 2 Comments

How can I trust my husband after he texted a younger woman behind my back?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Horoscope: April 26, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Veterinarians are too expensive, and it puts pets at risk

By The Washington Post | From Page: C5

Old standby body-weight training still has moves

By The Washington Post | From Page: C7

Milan spiffs up for Expo 2015

By The Associated Press | From Page: C7

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

More copies of Laura Ingalls Wilder memoir being printed

Amber Tamblyn writes book of poetry about dead actresses

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Giants beat Rockies 5-4 in 11 innings

Warriors complete sweep with 109-98 win over Pelicans

Athletics drop 3rd straight game, 9-3 to Astros

Rain postpones NASCAR race at Richmond until Sunday

Bulldogs get 10-0 baseball win over Panthers

Canadian teen Henderson has 1-shot lead in LPGA Tour event

Klitschko outpoints Jennings to defend heavyweight titles

Michael Schumacher’s son makes strong Formula 4 debut

US routs Canada 7-2 in semifinal at under-18 hockey worlds

Watford back in Premier League after 8-year absence

Several Kentucky Derby hopefuls get workouts in before rain

Levy falters at Volvo China Open; 4 tied for lead

Former Expos executive Jim Fanning dies at 87

Sandy Lyle, Ian Woosnam team to lead Legends of Golf

Compton, Day top leaderboard in rain-plagued Zurich Classic

Suzuki breaks Oh’s record for runs by a Japanese player

A’s place Ben Zobrist on disabled list with knee injury

7 players from Royals, White Sox punished by MLB for brawl

Hometown report: Bicycle racing, youth track

Bowling report for April 26, 2015

Bayless’ layup at buzzer gives Bucks 92-90 win over Bulls

Nets beat Hawks 91-83, pull within 2-1 in series

Grizzlies hold off a late Trail Blazers rally to go up 3-0

Sports on TV for Sunday, April 26, 2015

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B5

This date in sports history for April 26

Veggies take center plate as healthy fast food chains expand

By The Associated Press | From Page: B7, 1 Comment | Gallery

What’s in a hotel name? Guests try to decipher the mystery

Is ice cream safe? Federal health officials say yes

Don’t panic, college seniors: Jobs for grads likely to grow

Elizabeth Cepeda