Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Here are some of my pet peeves

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | April 14, 2014 |

I try to cultivate an attitude of gratitude most days, but don’t always succeed. When I don’t, it’s usually because I have been exposed to one of my numerous pet peeves. Here is a partial list:

Public speakers who talk too long: I don’t care if you are giving a stirring speech using impressive elocution; if you talk too long, the only thing people will remember is that you talked too long. Worse is when the speaker is oblivious to hints an audience gives that are signals it is time to close. People leaving, playing on their cellphones, snoring loudly or screaming “Shut up, already!” are subtle hints you may want to pick up on.

Female flaws seekers: There is a scene in the movie “Mean Girls” where, one by one, teenage girls look at themselves in the mirror and point out their “flaws.” Many grown women (not all) that I know seem to have this same weird thing of looking at themselves and seeing only “imperfections.” I maintain several websites and Facebook pages and I’ve learned to never post a picture of a woman unless it has been cleared by her. I have been stunned by women telling me that a picture of them was “ugly” or “horrible” when it was anything but. I know ugly and horrible pictures because I have many of myself. The difference is, I embrace them and also keep one with me at all times to whip out and disarm would-be muggers.

Breakers of unwritten but well-known rules: If two men have to use side-by-side urinals and they know each other, they can talk – keeping eyes straight ahead at the wall, of course. However, if you do not know someone, you never talk to them at that time. Some guy not only broke that rule with me in the library bathroom last week, but also asked me a question I hate: “Did you play basketball?” He attempted to follow it up with others about sports in general, but I utilized the Blasting the Hand Dryer Distraction Tactic and pretended I couldn’t hear him.

Supermarket zombies: People shuffling around so engrossed in the latest flavor of Pop Tarts that they run into you with their cart tick me off. I deal with supermarket zombies the same way they are dealt with on ‘The Walking Dead” – a blow to the dome. Albeit in this case nonlethal.

Young people wearing my rock T-shirts: I appreciate that many kids at my daughter’s high school like classic rock groups such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Pink Floyd, but when I start wearing ones from their era – Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and that would be never – then they can start wearing ones from mine.

Not knowing the answer to the driver’s wave mystery: The open hand wave that means “thank you” that we give to another driver who, say, lets us into traffic, is perplexing. Who came up with that? How come we don’t do that anywhere else? Why is the Driver’s Apology Wave so similar?

Technology that is not as cool as what came before: When compact discs first came out, the one thing that bugged me was they were not as compact as their predecessors – cassette tapes that could fit into your pocket. My Blu-ray player replaced my DVD player that, in turn, replaced my VCR. With the VCR, I always had the option to fast forward through the previews at the beginning. The Blu-ray? Uh, no. When I try to do that, the machine informs me with a rather snotty graphic that “That option is not available at this time” and holds me hostage. I then consider my act of muting the sound a small victory.

People who think Facebook is just a waste of time: A Facebook friend recently posted “Describe Your Last Fart Using Only A Movie Title.” Some of the hysterical answers people submitted included “A Mighty Wind,” “Breaking Away,” “How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days,” “The Toxic Avenger,” “Waiting to Exhale” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” See? Facebook inspires creativity.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at kelvinsbrother@sbcglobal.net.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Rita GoldenApril 14, 2014 - 1:32 am

One of my pet peeves.....Someone writing articles for a news paper and 9 out of 10 of those articles are about himself. Can you say "NARCISSIST"?

• Mr. PracticalApril 14, 2014 - 5:31 am

My biggest pet peeve is people that have become so bitter that good humor goes right over their heads.

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 6:14 am

Well you could say Narcissist, but since this is in print, it would be more effective to write it.

• Tony WadeApril 14, 2014 - 7:32 am

One of my other pet peeves is people with incorrect data. Actually, 9.73 of my columns are about me. And I am NOT a narcissist. That is WAY too high falutin' of a word. I prefer Navel Gazer. I actually was going to write this column about someone else, namely Joe Schmo from Kokomo, but it turns out one of his pet peeves is having navel-gazing columnists write about his pet peeves.

• CD BrooksApril 14, 2014 - 6:25 am

Fun stuff Tony! Still laughing over the urinal thing!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:09 am

Or, you could have entitled the piece as "YOUR pet peeves"! YOu could parlay that into a daily feature that could run years (and possibly syndication)! I'm telling you, Tony, its a gold mine!!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:22 am

Wait a minute, what if Tony cleverly planted the retort about articles about himself just to elict responses about himself, and then respond to those comments about articles about himself? Now THAT would be the epitome of navel-gazing. I shall never view Tony's articles about himself the same again. Oh the humanity!

• LindaApril 14, 2014 - 7:28 pm

I have several also. One that really annoys me is people who don't use turn signals. When you get to a stop sign and procede to go straight and someone turns in front of you. Another one is traveling north on Sunset from Pintail and people get in the turn lane to go to Railroad Ave. but when they get to the light they cut over to the lane going straight. I've even seen someone wait at the red light and then step on it as soon as it turns green to get over to the lane going straight.

Fairfield labor pact wins City Council OK

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

County supervisors hear from Solano grand jury

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3

2 hurt after traffic signal apparently malfunctions

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A3

Solano leaders feel left out of Delta decision-making

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3

Vacaville man to stand trial on arson allegations

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A4

Polk first to file for Fairfield council

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4

Governor signs 2 bills by Frazier into law

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A5

Dally seeks to retain seat on Vacaville school board

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

Carpenters training center set to expand in Fairfield

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5, 4 Comments | Gallery

2 Vacaville homes hit by gunfire

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A6, 2 Comments

Library friends set spring book sale

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A6

Video chair exercise class returns to senior center

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6

Man, woman, comic and dance contest primed for box office

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

Vice Mayor Vaccaro will attend LA conference

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A8

Rockville Trails hike on August calendar

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A8 | Gallery

Mayor’s Commission on Crime hears from community

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A12, 3 Comments | Gallery

Dueling rulings: Courts split on health law clash

IRS employee charged with identity theft

Assailants sought in fatal train platform beating

Senate, House on collision course on border money

ACLU may fight for California migrant shelter

Board puts soda tax before San Francisco voters

George Harrison memorial tree killed by beetles

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

California agency to consider hiring “water cops”

Gaza blockade key to any Israel-Hamas truce deal

Mexican-born professor eyed for state high court

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Airlines ban flights to Israel after rocket strike

AP source: Thieves got into 1K StubHub accounts

Obama nominee McDonald pledges to ‘transform’ VA

Body of missing S. Korean shipping tycoon found

Crews make gains on massive Washington wildfire

11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die

Plane crash bodies removed from war zone

Lax security at crash site hampers investigations

Will history repeat in child immigrant crisis?

By Thomas Elias | From Page: A11

Walmart donation benefits Meals on Wheels

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Batson’s column on Mideast peace is wrong

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 5 Comments

Fix our problems first

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Today in History for July 23, 2014

Community Calendar: July 23, 2014

How to argue appropriately with your mate

By Barton Goldsmith | From Page: A2

A summer sausage roll with a triple dose of fennel

10 Things: 10 fresh ways to use fresh blueberries

By J.M. Hirsch | From Page: B6

Horoscopes for July 23, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B6

Bulking up the classic BLT without adding fat

By Sara Moulton | From Page: B6

I’m tired of my parents judging me because of who I date

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B6

‘X-Men’ VR experience coming to Comic-Con

‘Downton Abbey’ back on Jan. 4 for season 5

Giants beat Phillies 9-6 in 14 innings

A’s agree to 10-year lease to stay in Oakland

Raiders enter camp with ‘chip’ on shoulders

49ers start fresh after forgettable offseason

Seahawks start atop AP Pro32 rankings

Selig still waiting on Tommy John report

AP source: Cavs to sign Andrew Wiggins to contract

Paterno son, other former assistant sue Penn State

Pyrenees please Nibali, Rogers in Tour Stage 16

Warriors announce Brandon Rush’s signing

CEO: Rivers to quit Clippers if Sterling stays

Racehorse owned by Britain’s queen fails dope test

Mudcats score early, get 7-3 win over South Bay Storm

Ackman goes after Herbalife’s nutrition clubs

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 1 Comment

China meat scandal hits Starbucks, Burger King

Solid earnings drive more gains in US stocks

Microsoft 4Q earnings hurt by Nokia acquisition

Apple post biggest earnings gain in nearly 2 years

One in every 25 New Yorkers is a millionaire, study says

By Los Angeles Times | From Page: B8

California firm issues nationwide fruit recall

Joseph Ross Smith Jr.