Sunday, December 21, 2014

Here are some of my pet peeves

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | April 14, 2014 |

I try to cultivate an attitude of gratitude most days, but don’t always succeed. When I don’t, it’s usually because I have been exposed to one of my numerous pet peeves. Here is a partial list:

Public speakers who talk too long: I don’t care if you are giving a stirring speech using impressive elocution; if you talk too long, the only thing people will remember is that you talked too long. Worse is when the speaker is oblivious to hints an audience gives that are signals it is time to close. People leaving, playing on their cellphones, snoring loudly or screaming “Shut up, already!” are subtle hints you may want to pick up on.

Female flaws seekers: There is a scene in the movie “Mean Girls” where, one by one, teenage girls look at themselves in the mirror and point out their “flaws.” Many grown women (not all) that I know seem to have this same weird thing of looking at themselves and seeing only “imperfections.” I maintain several websites and Facebook pages and I’ve learned to never post a picture of a woman unless it has been cleared by her. I have been stunned by women telling me that a picture of them was “ugly” or “horrible” when it was anything but. I know ugly and horrible pictures because I have many of myself. The difference is, I embrace them and also keep one with me at all times to whip out and disarm would-be muggers.

Breakers of unwritten but well-known rules: If two men have to use side-by-side urinals and they know each other, they can talk – keeping eyes straight ahead at the wall, of course. However, if you do not know someone, you never talk to them at that time. Some guy not only broke that rule with me in the library bathroom last week, but also asked me a question I hate: “Did you play basketball?” He attempted to follow it up with others about sports in general, but I utilized the Blasting the Hand Dryer Distraction Tactic and pretended I couldn’t hear him.

Supermarket zombies: People shuffling around so engrossed in the latest flavor of Pop Tarts that they run into you with their cart tick me off. I deal with supermarket zombies the same way they are dealt with on ‘The Walking Dead” – a blow to the dome. Albeit in this case nonlethal.

Young people wearing my rock T-shirts: I appreciate that many kids at my daughter’s high school like classic rock groups such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Pink Floyd, but when I start wearing ones from their era – Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and that would be never – then they can start wearing ones from mine.

Not knowing the answer to the driver’s wave mystery: The open hand wave that means “thank you” that we give to another driver who, say, lets us into traffic, is perplexing. Who came up with that? How come we don’t do that anywhere else? Why is the Driver’s Apology Wave so similar?

Technology that is not as cool as what came before: When compact discs first came out, the one thing that bugged me was they were not as compact as their predecessors – cassette tapes that could fit into your pocket. My Blu-ray player replaced my DVD player that, in turn, replaced my VCR. With the VCR, I always had the option to fast forward through the previews at the beginning. The Blu-ray? Uh, no. When I try to do that, the machine informs me with a rather snotty graphic that “That option is not available at this time” and holds me hostage. I then consider my act of muting the sound a small victory.

People who think Facebook is just a waste of time: A Facebook friend recently posted “Describe Your Last Fart Using Only A Movie Title.” Some of the hysterical answers people submitted included “A Mighty Wind,” “Breaking Away,” “How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days,” “The Toxic Avenger,” “Waiting to Exhale” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” See? Facebook inspires creativity.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at kelvinsbrother@sbcglobal.net.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Rita GoldenApril 14, 2014 - 1:32 am

One of my pet peeves.....Someone writing articles for a news paper and 9 out of 10 of those articles are about himself. Can you say "NARCISSIST"?

• Mr. PracticalApril 14, 2014 - 5:31 am

My biggest pet peeve is people that have become so bitter that good humor goes right over their heads.

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 6:14 am

Well you could say Narcissist, but since this is in print, it would be more effective to write it.

• Tony WadeApril 14, 2014 - 7:32 am

One of my other pet peeves is people with incorrect data. Actually, 9.73 of my columns are about me. And I am NOT a narcissist. That is WAY too high falutin' of a word. I prefer Navel Gazer. I actually was going to write this column about someone else, namely Joe Schmo from Kokomo, but it turns out one of his pet peeves is having navel-gazing columnists write about his pet peeves.

• CD BrooksApril 14, 2014 - 6:25 am

Fun stuff Tony! Still laughing over the urinal thing!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:09 am

Or, you could have entitled the piece as "YOUR pet peeves"! YOu could parlay that into a daily feature that could run years (and possibly syndication)! I'm telling you, Tony, its a gold mine!!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:22 am

Wait a minute, what if Tony cleverly planted the retort about articles about himself just to elict responses about himself, and then respond to those comments about articles about himself? Now THAT would be the epitome of navel-gazing. I shall never view Tony's articles about himself the same again. Oh the humanity!

• LindaApril 14, 2014 - 7:28 pm

I have several also. One that really annoys me is people who don't use turn signals. When you get to a stop sign and procede to go straight and someone turns in front of you. Another one is traveling north on Sunset from Pintail and people get in the turn lane to go to Railroad Ave. but when they get to the light they cut over to the lane going straight. I've even seen someone wait at the red light and then step on it as soon as it turns green to get over to the lane going straight.

Shining bright for all to see: Locals deck out yards, homes

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1, 1 Comment | Gallery

The Salvation Army serves 1,000-plus across 2 days

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1, 6 Comments | Gallery

Blue Christmas service offers reflection, hope

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1

Time for annual Solano County quiz

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

State Fair scholarship applications available

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Bevy of holiday activities at Western Railway Museum

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Get tested, know your status

By Morgan Westfall | From Page: C4

New development fees start Jan. 1 in Vacaville

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

Free New Year’s celebration slated

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

A word of warning for Senator Warren

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7, 8 Comments

New technology chief will join McNaughton Newspapers

By Tanya Perez | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Dec. 19, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 19, 2014

Sky-high price has VA rationing hep C drug

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

Air Force admits nuke flaws, but will fixes work?

Officials: Missing dog was dyed to deceive

Immigrants build document trails to remain in US

California officer kills teen after machete attack

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

4 teens die in fiery head-on crash in Pennsylvania

2 dozen injured in southern Indiana bus crash

Texas ranchers seeking alternative incomes

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

North Korea proposes joint probe over Sony hacking

2 car bombs rock southern Sweden’s city of Malmo

Bombings kill 12 in Iraq

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

US sends 4 Afghans back home from Guantanamo

Panama’s Noriega in prison 25 years post-invasion

Burying the dead after Pakistan’s school massacre

A chance to breach divide for young in Cuba and US

Editorial Cartoon: Dec. 21, 2014

By Daily Republic Syndicated Content | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

New school finance strategy lacks accountability

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Season’s greetings from the Obamas

By Alexandra Petri | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Sound off for Dec. 21, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Today in History: Dec. 21, 2014

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2, 4 Comments

Why celebrate Christmas?

By Noel Reese | From Page: C3, 2 Comments

Vatican offers olive branch to US nuns

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3, 1 Comment

Horoscopes: Dec. 21, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Should I ask grandson why we weren’t included in wedding photos?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Review: ‘Five’ by Ursula Archer is intriguing

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Publisher hopes to sell books through Twitter

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Chris Colfer has multi-book deal

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Jerry Lee Lewis: Sustained by brief blaze of glory

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Interim coaching jobs present challenges in bowls

49ers squander 21-point lead in 4th straight loss

New Giants 3B McGehee eager to play back home

Eagles near elimination, fall 27-24 to Redskins

Raiders place cornerback Brown on injured reserve

No. 11 Lady Vols trounce No. 7 Stanford 59-40

Big moves bring big hope for Chicago baseball

US skier Nyman wins Gardena downhill for 3rd time

Vonn wins women’s World Cup downhill in France

This date in sports history for Sunday, Dec. 21, 2014

Your info has been hacked. Now what do you do?

On the money: 4 ways to hold on to your cash when renting a car

Recalls this week: Bean bag chairs, toy monkeys

Scarecrows outnumber people in dying Japan town

Barbara Jean Bidstrup Braker