Thursday, January 29, 2015

Here are some of my pet peeves

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | April 14, 2014 |

I try to cultivate an attitude of gratitude most days, but don’t always succeed. When I don’t, it’s usually because I have been exposed to one of my numerous pet peeves. Here is a partial list:

Public speakers who talk too long: I don’t care if you are giving a stirring speech using impressive elocution; if you talk too long, the only thing people will remember is that you talked too long. Worse is when the speaker is oblivious to hints an audience gives that are signals it is time to close. People leaving, playing on their cellphones, snoring loudly or screaming “Shut up, already!” are subtle hints you may want to pick up on.

Female flaws seekers: There is a scene in the movie “Mean Girls” where, one by one, teenage girls look at themselves in the mirror and point out their “flaws.” Many grown women (not all) that I know seem to have this same weird thing of looking at themselves and seeing only “imperfections.” I maintain several websites and Facebook pages and I’ve learned to never post a picture of a woman unless it has been cleared by her. I have been stunned by women telling me that a picture of them was “ugly” or “horrible” when it was anything but. I know ugly and horrible pictures because I have many of myself. The difference is, I embrace them and also keep one with me at all times to whip out and disarm would-be muggers.

Breakers of unwritten but well-known rules: If two men have to use side-by-side urinals and they know each other, they can talk – keeping eyes straight ahead at the wall, of course. However, if you do not know someone, you never talk to them at that time. Some guy not only broke that rule with me in the library bathroom last week, but also asked me a question I hate: “Did you play basketball?” He attempted to follow it up with others about sports in general, but I utilized the Blasting the Hand Dryer Distraction Tactic and pretended I couldn’t hear him.

Supermarket zombies: People shuffling around so engrossed in the latest flavor of Pop Tarts that they run into you with their cart tick me off. I deal with supermarket zombies the same way they are dealt with on ‘The Walking Dead” – a blow to the dome. Albeit in this case nonlethal.

Young people wearing my rock T-shirts: I appreciate that many kids at my daughter’s high school like classic rock groups such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Pink Floyd, but when I start wearing ones from their era – Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and that would be never – then they can start wearing ones from mine.

Not knowing the answer to the driver’s wave mystery: The open hand wave that means “thank you” that we give to another driver who, say, lets us into traffic, is perplexing. Who came up with that? How come we don’t do that anywhere else? Why is the Driver’s Apology Wave so similar?

Technology that is not as cool as what came before: When compact discs first came out, the one thing that bugged me was they were not as compact as their predecessors – cassette tapes that could fit into your pocket. My Blu-ray player replaced my DVD player that, in turn, replaced my VCR. With the VCR, I always had the option to fast forward through the previews at the beginning. The Blu-ray? Uh, no. When I try to do that, the machine informs me with a rather snotty graphic that “That option is not available at this time” and holds me hostage. I then consider my act of muting the sound a small victory.

People who think Facebook is just a waste of time: A Facebook friend recently posted “Describe Your Last Fart Using Only A Movie Title.” Some of the hysterical answers people submitted included “A Mighty Wind,” “Breaking Away,” “How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days,” “The Toxic Avenger,” “Waiting to Exhale” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” See? Facebook inspires creativity.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected]

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Rita GoldenApril 14, 2014 - 1:32 am

One of my pet peeves.....Someone writing articles for a news paper and 9 out of 10 of those articles are about himself. Can you say "NARCISSIST"?

• Mr. PracticalApril 14, 2014 - 5:31 am

My biggest pet peeve is people that have become so bitter that good humor goes right over their heads.

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 6:14 am

Well you could say Narcissist, but since this is in print, it would be more effective to write it.

• Tony WadeApril 14, 2014 - 7:32 am

One of my other pet peeves is people with incorrect data. Actually, 9.73 of my columns are about me. And I am NOT a narcissist. That is WAY too high falutin' of a word. I prefer Navel Gazer. I actually was going to write this column about someone else, namely Joe Schmo from Kokomo, but it turns out one of his pet peeves is having navel-gazing columnists write about his pet peeves.

• CD BrooksApril 14, 2014 - 6:25 am

Fun stuff Tony! Still laughing over the urinal thing!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:09 am

Or, you could have entitled the piece as "YOUR pet peeves"! YOu could parlay that into a daily feature that could run years (and possibly syndication)! I'm telling you, Tony, its a gold mine!!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:22 am

Wait a minute, what if Tony cleverly planted the retort about articles about himself just to elict responses about himself, and then respond to those comments about articles about himself? Now THAT would be the epitome of navel-gazing. I shall never view Tony's articles about himself the same again. Oh the humanity!

• LindaApril 14, 2014 - 7:28 pm

I have several also. One that really annoys me is people who don't use turn signals. When you get to a stop sign and procede to go straight and someone turns in front of you. Another one is traveling north on Sunset from Pintail and people get in the turn lane to go to Railroad Ave. but when they get to the light they cut over to the lane going straight. I've even seen someone wait at the red light and then step on it as soon as it turns green to get over to the lane going straight.

1st release for birds with mysterious goo a success

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

4-H Annual Presentation Day returns in February

Vacaville SWAT team serves search warrant

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3

Real estate occupancy continues to climb

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

Council backs beer, wine sales for Vacaville store

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Vacaville police seek help to find sex offender

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3, 3 Comments | Gallery

Sweep by sheriff’s team nets 4 arrests

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3, 3 Comments

Travis starts work on Functional Fitness Center

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Boy Scouts to screen award-winning film

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Church makes ready for health, wellness fair

Fairfield police log: Jan. 27, 2015

Suisun City police log: Jan. 27, 2015

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Air Force probing alleged ‘treason’ remark by general

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Expect tiny tuxes but no real puppy love at doggy weddings

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2 | Gallery

Large salmon release planned

Violations mount for toxic recycler

Quake rattles N. California coast

Second arrest in student stabbing

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Marshals track down missing treasure hunter

‘Drunk’ excuse falls flat in Vandy rape trial

Attorney General nominee defends Obama immigration changes

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

Police seek law to alter Google app

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Investigation stems from police-involved shooting outbreak

Hezbollah missiles kill soldiers

By New York Times | From Page: A6

ISIS extends hostage deadline

Euro coast guards scramble to locate Syrian ghost ship

Chinese regulators go after online sale of fake goods

Tape: Scientist offers to build nuke bomb targeting New York

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

India now has 322 billion reasons to fix economy

By William Pesek | From Page: A7

Don’t brush off bullying

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

Editorial Cartoon: Jan. 29, 2015

Just be honest and come forward

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

A truly misinformed writer

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A7, 23 Comments

Today in History: Jan. 29, 2015

Community Calendar: Jan. 29, 2015

Deadbeat boyfriend ruined my relationship with my granddaughter

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscope Jan. 29, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Theater legend Joel Grey reveals that he is gay

By The Associated Press | From Page: B5, 2 Comments

Super Bowl advertisers aim not to offend

Kings center DeMarcus Cousins hoping to make All-Star team

Rodriguez wrestlers pull out 34-24 win over Wood

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Tony Stewart acquires national sprint car series tour

Solano men cruise past LMC for biggest win of season

NFL players who started young show more thinking problems

GM John Schneider has been architect of Seahawks’ success

Patriots not dwelling on last Super Bowl loss in Arizona

Woods returns to Phoenix with plenty of memories

Korda, Lewis, Munoz tied for lead at LPGA season opener