Thursday, August 28, 2014

Here are some of my pet peeves

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | April 14, 2014 |

I try to cultivate an attitude of gratitude most days, but don’t always succeed. When I don’t, it’s usually because I have been exposed to one of my numerous pet peeves. Here is a partial list:

Public speakers who talk too long: I don’t care if you are giving a stirring speech using impressive elocution; if you talk too long, the only thing people will remember is that you talked too long. Worse is when the speaker is oblivious to hints an audience gives that are signals it is time to close. People leaving, playing on their cellphones, snoring loudly or screaming “Shut up, already!” are subtle hints you may want to pick up on.

Female flaws seekers: There is a scene in the movie “Mean Girls” where, one by one, teenage girls look at themselves in the mirror and point out their “flaws.” Many grown women (not all) that I know seem to have this same weird thing of looking at themselves and seeing only “imperfections.” I maintain several websites and Facebook pages and I’ve learned to never post a picture of a woman unless it has been cleared by her. I have been stunned by women telling me that a picture of them was “ugly” or “horrible” when it was anything but. I know ugly and horrible pictures because I have many of myself. The difference is, I embrace them and also keep one with me at all times to whip out and disarm would-be muggers.

Breakers of unwritten but well-known rules: If two men have to use side-by-side urinals and they know each other, they can talk – keeping eyes straight ahead at the wall, of course. However, if you do not know someone, you never talk to them at that time. Some guy not only broke that rule with me in the library bathroom last week, but also asked me a question I hate: “Did you play basketball?” He attempted to follow it up with others about sports in general, but I utilized the Blasting the Hand Dryer Distraction Tactic and pretended I couldn’t hear him.

Supermarket zombies: People shuffling around so engrossed in the latest flavor of Pop Tarts that they run into you with their cart tick me off. I deal with supermarket zombies the same way they are dealt with on ‘The Walking Dead” – a blow to the dome. Albeit in this case nonlethal.

Young people wearing my rock T-shirts: I appreciate that many kids at my daughter’s high school like classic rock groups such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Pink Floyd, but when I start wearing ones from their era – Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and that would be never – then they can start wearing ones from mine.

Not knowing the answer to the driver’s wave mystery: The open hand wave that means “thank you” that we give to another driver who, say, lets us into traffic, is perplexing. Who came up with that? How come we don’t do that anywhere else? Why is the Driver’s Apology Wave so similar?

Technology that is not as cool as what came before: When compact discs first came out, the one thing that bugged me was they were not as compact as their predecessors – cassette tapes that could fit into your pocket. My Blu-ray player replaced my DVD player that, in turn, replaced my VCR. With the VCR, I always had the option to fast forward through the previews at the beginning. The Blu-ray? Uh, no. When I try to do that, the machine informs me with a rather snotty graphic that “That option is not available at this time” and holds me hostage. I then consider my act of muting the sound a small victory.

People who think Facebook is just a waste of time: A Facebook friend recently posted “Describe Your Last Fart Using Only A Movie Title.” Some of the hysterical answers people submitted included “A Mighty Wind,” “Breaking Away,” “How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days,” “The Toxic Avenger,” “Waiting to Exhale” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” See? Facebook inspires creativity.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at kelvinsbrother@sbcglobal.net.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Rita GoldenApril 14, 2014 - 1:32 am

One of my pet peeves.....Someone writing articles for a news paper and 9 out of 10 of those articles are about himself. Can you say "NARCISSIST"?

• Mr. PracticalApril 14, 2014 - 5:31 am

My biggest pet peeve is people that have become so bitter that good humor goes right over their heads.

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 6:14 am

Well you could say Narcissist, but since this is in print, it would be more effective to write it.

• Tony WadeApril 14, 2014 - 7:32 am

One of my other pet peeves is people with incorrect data. Actually, 9.73 of my columns are about me. And I am NOT a narcissist. That is WAY too high falutin' of a word. I prefer Navel Gazer. I actually was going to write this column about someone else, namely Joe Schmo from Kokomo, but it turns out one of his pet peeves is having navel-gazing columnists write about his pet peeves.

• CD BrooksApril 14, 2014 - 6:25 am

Fun stuff Tony! Still laughing over the urinal thing!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:09 am

Or, you could have entitled the piece as "YOUR pet peeves"! YOu could parlay that into a daily feature that could run years (and possibly syndication)! I'm telling you, Tony, its a gold mine!!

• Paul OlsonApril 14, 2014 - 9:22 am

Wait a minute, what if Tony cleverly planted the retort about articles about himself just to elict responses about himself, and then respond to those comments about articles about himself? Now THAT would be the epitome of navel-gazing. I shall never view Tony's articles about himself the same again. Oh the humanity!

• LindaApril 14, 2014 - 7:28 pm

I have several also. One that really annoys me is people who don't use turn signals. When you get to a stop sign and procede to go straight and someone turns in front of you. Another one is traveling north on Sunset from Pintail and people get in the turn lane to go to Railroad Ave. but when they get to the light they cut over to the lane going straight. I've even seen someone wait at the red light and then step on it as soon as it turns green to get over to the lane going straight.

Locke an unparalleled universe in the Delta

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Small-town heroism on display in Napa

By Angela Borchert | From Page: A2

Review set for Vacaville fitness center suit

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Fairfield motorcyclist hurt in Beck Avenue crash

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Logue misses meet with Libertarians in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4

Chamber event looks at health care law

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B5 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Aug. 26, 2014

Winterhawk Winery up for auction

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B5 | Gallery

Suisun City police log: Aug. 26, 2014

Boy hurt in California quake: ‘I should be dead’

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

California Senate passes gun restraining order

Lawmakers approve groundwater management bill

California sets ride-sharing insurance standards

Feds allow logging after huge California wildfire

California beach town sees flooding from hurricane

Q-and-A on Westerners who join the fight in Syria

Sources: US considering new relief mission in Iraq

Shooting by 9-year-old girl stirs debate over guns

US to consider spousal abuse in immigration claims

UK sex abuse report prompts outrage, reflection

Dad acquitted in slaying of driver who killed sons

Q&A: Few laws govern children at shooting range

Mom pleads for release of captive US journalist

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6 | Gallery

Israeli premier, Hamas declare victory in Gaza war

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6 | Gallery

Seizing the day with old friends

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A11

Signs of possible healing in Ferguson

By Jay Ambrose | From Page: A11

Poor constituent service no longer acceptable

By Ruben Navarrette | From Page: A11

Editorial Cartoons: Aug. 28, 2014

By Kim Durbin | From Page: A11

Let’s improve entertainment control units

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Community Calendar: Aug. 28, 2014

Today in History: Aug. 28, 2014

My boss insists that we all eat lunch with her in cafeteria

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscopes: Aug. 28, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Judge lets ‘X-Men’ director’s accuser drop lawsuit

Rapper Young Jeezy pleads not guilty to gun charge

‘Cops’ crew member killed in Omaha police shooting

Chris Soules is ABC’s new ‘Bachelor’

John Lennon’s killer sorry for being ‘an idiot’

Reality star accused of rape, child molestation

Source: BET suspends producer after Blue Ivy joke

Fuld’s homer in 9th lifts A’s over Astros 5-4

Posey hits game-ending 2-run homer for Giants

Maria Sharapova comes through in 3 sets at US Open

Raiders rookie QB Derek Carr to start vs. Seahawks

Cal needs more from its running game

Stanford’s Kevin Hogan a ‘stabilizing agent’ at QB

Chicago’s Little League champs return as heroes

NFL suspends Browns star WR Gordon for 2014 season

Keenum, Savage to settle Texans’ backup QB duel vs. 49ers

USC’s Shaw admits to lying about injuries, rescue

IndyCar sets April 12 New Orleans date

No. 23 UNC suspends 4 players for opener

Clippers sign Doc Rivers to 5-year extension

Raiders hope rebuild pays immediate dividends

After trio of near misses, 49ers chase Super Bowl

US economy forecast to grow by 1.5 percent in 2014

Malaysia Airlines set for shakeup after disasters

IMF chief Lagarde under investigation in France

SEC adopts rules on loan-backed securities

Stocks drift higher; S&P 500 holds on to 2,000

Reports: FBI probes JPMorgan hack

Time Warner Cable says outages largely resolved

Video games come of age as spectator sport

Frank W. Moy Jr.