Sunday, March 29, 2015

Doggone it! I miss my pooches

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | February 11, 2013 |

Although we have had a cat exclusively for a decade, I am a dog person. Dogs are in-the-moment and love you unconditionally, whereas cats exist in a different dimension except when it’s time to be fed.

The first dog we had was a tan cocker spaniel/terrier named Sandy we got when I was 5. Sandy stayed in a tiny, enclosed area with rocks on the ground in the Virginia Navy housing we lived in and developed a mean disposition. He bit the mailman thrice.

When we came to Fairfield in 1976, the big backyard we had helped Sandy’s anger management. Ultimately, his Napoleonic complex was cured when he got uppity, attacked a much larger German shepherd and was nearly killed. He actually died years later, when I was a junior in high school.

Smokey was a black mutt with some Labrador in him who would leap Snoopy-like onto the roof of the rickety doghouse my dad had built.

At that time we also had a beautiful brown German shepherd named Coco that we got from a neighbor of my uncle Henry in Oakland. Coco’s father was named Cocaine and was ferocious. Coco inherited that meanness. Once I climbed over our fence because I’d forgotten my key and even though I warned him it was me, that punk still bit me.

The train went right behind our house and when the whistle blew, Coco would start howling and Smokey would join in harmony as if he was Garfunkel to Coco’s Simon.

Coco liked to fetch things. When my parents weren’t home, my oldest brother Orvis would dispose of his empty beer cans by crumpling them up and pretending they were hand grenades and throwing them over the back fence. Sometimes he didn’t make it and Coco would bring them to the porch, leading to interrogations by my mom.

The dogs were constantly digging, trying to get out, and one day Smokey and Coco escaped like Andy Dufresne in “The Shawshank Redemption.” We never saw Coco again, but a year later Smokey miraculously showed up.

He looked world-weary like he had a tragic story to tell about Coco but couldn’t bring himself to do it. Then he started having seizures. It was horrible. He didn’t live much longer.

The last dogs we had were Missy and Brutus. My mom nicknamed Missy “Emma” after a line Yosemite Sam said in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Brutus was a Rottweiler/Doberman that looked and sounded intimidating, but he wasn’t half the watchdog Coco had been. If someone had broken into the house, Brutus would’ve led them to our valuables for a Scooby Snack.

Brutus was all bark and no bite. Once a windstorm knocked the fence down between our neighbor’s yard and ours. The two Chihuahuas that Brutus barked smack at daily when the fence was up just marched into our yard in a bloodless coup and starting marking their territory while Brutus sat meekly by. I was embarrassed for him. Oh, the caninity!

Brutus was the best fetcher. He would excitedly fetch a ball, or anything else I threw, and drop it at my feet and wait for me to fling it again. He learned that once he got a drink of water the game was over, so he would avoid it. He’d start walking near the water with the ball in his mouth, but walk by it. Finally he’d give in.

His water bucket was deep with about three gallons of water. He’d drop the ball into the bucket and drink. When he was done, he would suddenly realize he couldn’t get the ball out without sticking his whole snout in the water, which he wasn’t about to do. He’d then start pawing at the side of the bucket until he knocked it over, and retrieve the ball.

He did that every day. He never figured out that maybe he shouldn’t put the ball in the water. It was so funny. Man, I miss him.

Brutus and Missy lived to be 15 and 17, respectively. I DVR “The People’s Court” so I know that in the eyes of the law, pets are property and not family. But we know better, right?

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected]

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• StR 13 Ballot Box Bunny .Vote for Bugs B.February 11, 2013 - 7:43 am

• Continued...February 11, 2013 - 7:48 am

[Sam rigs a cannon to the front door of Bugs' campaign headquarters]..... Yosemite Sam: No one will vote for a flattened-out rabbit skin, I always say.... [Runs to the back door and knocks].... Bugs Bunny: Oh, you?.... Yosemite Sam: Yes, rabbit. I come to extend my hand in friendship. I like you, rabbit. You're a good Joe. .... [Taps his foot on floor].... Yosemite Sam: Someone knocking at your front door, rabbit........ Bugs Bunny: Excuse me, Doc. I'll be right back......... Yosemite Sam: [to himself] In little bitty pieces......... Bugs Bunny: That was someone for you, Sam. She said to mention St. Louis............ Yosemite Sam: St. Louis? Emma! Yahoo! Emma, here's your Sammy boy!........... [Runs out to front door; Explosion; comes back all burnt and dazed]........ Yosemite Sam: Same old Emma. Full of laughs...........

• Tony WadeFebruary 11, 2013 - 9:53 am

Yes! That is the cartoon!

• StRFebruary 11, 2013 - 10:00 am

This was very well written, forthwith I enjoyed it greatly? I am so brain damaged, not being naturally brilliant like yourself. All pets cats/dogs have different personalities. I have a cat that thinks it is a baby. It likes to be carried like a baby and cries if no one will pick it up.

• CD BrooksFebruary 11, 2013 - 11:05 am

STR, YOU? Brain damaged? Your Sybil-like unending comments have burned a collective hole in the psyche of all who visit this site and dare to read any further than your name...

• StRFebruary 11, 2013 - 11:15 am

@CD....Go back to your barnyard with your preening, scratching and clucking. She who dares wins or maybe just whines?

• MarthaFebruary 12, 2013 - 12:01 am

Tony, I enjoyed your fond and funny remembrances of your dogs. As a dog person, I know how you feel. If you at the time and place to adopt a dog, consider looking at www.Petfinder.com.

Vanden High library project nears completion

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Vanden girls end stellar season

By Brian Arnold | From Page: C1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Cheers for Jupiter – and roller derby

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2, 2 Comments

Red Cross volunteers help assemble first aid kits

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3 | Gallery

PG&E helps replace stolen equipment

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3

Justin-Siena names new principal

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3

Vacaville police make arrest after pursuit

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3, 3 Comments | Gallery

Vacaville bridal, quinceanera show a hit

Event benefits child who attends Cambridge School

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Free paper shredding option returns to Fairfield

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Best barometer of investment success: Wealth

By Mark Sievers | From Page: B8

Tips on hydrozoning your garden

By Tina Saravia | From Page: B8, 2 Comments

Fairfield police log: March 27, 2015

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A12, 2 Comments

Suisun City police log: March 27, 2015

Crash victim’s father calls for more focus on pilot welfare

Experts: Sex bias case will embolden women despite verdict

Popular Yosemite National Park lookout opens early in season

Some British Airways frequent flier accounts miles breached

7 shot and injured at Florida spring break house party

Boko Haram kills 39, legislator, disrupting Nigeria election

Official: Al-Shabab siege at Somali hotel ends, 24 dead

Bird flu found in a top Minnesota turkey producing county

Islamic fighters led by al-Qaida in Syria seize major city

Today in History: March 29, 2015

Community Calendar: March 29, 2015

Pope finds popularity and dissent at 2-year mark

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Truth does not change

By The Rev. Art Zacher | From Page: C3, 20 Comments

Horoscopes: March 29, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B8

Daughter choses stepdad over father to walk her down the aisle

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B8

Gordon, Earnhardt among the winners and fans of Martinsville

Prince Bishop wins Dubai World Cup, California Chrome 2nd

Serena Williams easily wins opening match at Miami Open

Power leads Penske sweep in qualifying for IndyCar opener

Revolution win first of season, beating Earthquakes 2-1

Jimmy Walker leads hometown Texas Open

A glance at women in leadership roles in business worldwide

For business, more women in charge means bigger profits

US drillers scrambling to thwart OPEC threat

Test trial to use computer servers to heat homes

Betty Mason