Monday, January 26, 2015

Despite my heroism, I remain humble

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | February 16, 2014 |

I’m no hero. I’m just a simple man, flesh and blood.

Oh, sure, some people might call me a “hero” after my recent actions. They might use such words as “courageous,” “lionhearted” and “indomitable” to describe me, but I’m too unpretentious to accept that. (And it was very hard for me to include that information in the second paragraph of a column. I’m humble, after all.)

Really, I’m just a normal man, doing his normal job. That I cheated death recently might make me lucky or awe-inspiring or, arguably, heroic. But I don’t consider myself heroic. Others might think I am (Who am I kidding? Others obviously believe I am), but I remain a humble man who is grateful for another shot at life.

What did I do that was so courageous?

Well, I insist it was just me doing my job and reacting in a way that any selfless man would react. But others . . . well, they want to elevate me.

Understandable, but not necessary.

I was sitting at my desk in the Daily Republic newsroom one recent morning, watching Internet videos of kittens playing the piano, when suddenly there was a loud noise and a flurry of action above me.

A lesser man (not my words, that’s simply what all my co-workers said after recognizing what they called “heroism” and “a modern-day profile in courage”) might have ducked and covered. He might have run screaming from the building. He might have accidentally turned up the computer’s volume and revealed that he was watching kitty-piano videos.

But I didn’t do any of those things. I just reacted as I was trained.

I flinched. And looked up.

THE LIGHT FIXTURE ABOVE MY DESK HAD COME UNATTACHED ON ONE SIDE AND WAS SWINGING WILDLY ABOVE MY HEAD!

I know! Scary, right?

For several moments, the light fixture – which looks suspiciously like a guillotine when it’s perpendicular to the ceiling – swung back and forth, threatening me.

Most people would have screamed. Many would have cried. Several would have fainted.

Not me.

I stared at it, quickly calculated that it was unlikely to come unattached and decided – contrary to what most (non-heroic?) people would do – to stay at my desk and finish watching the kitty video.

You never know when the countless hours spent watching police and military TV shows will come in handy. I’m so grateful for a youth spent studying Jim Rockford and Tony Baretta.

After the outpouring of affection by my co-workers, I went back to my job. The terror hasn’t ended. The hanging light fixture is still there, hovering over me as I write this.

But when I look up, I don’t think about death. I don’t think about how my actions may have saved others. I don’t think about how my co-workers probably secretly are in awe of my courage.

I’m just grateful to be alive.

Again, I’m no hero. Just a humble man who acted heroically.

Thank you, Jim Rockford. You’re welcome, Solano County.

If I helped one person, I’m pleased. That’s the kind of man I am.

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or bstanhope@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is a former Daily Republic editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 24 years as a sports editor, associate editor and news editor before leaving the Daily Republic in 2014. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• CD BrooksFebruary 16, 2014 - 6:38 am

Wow, Wow, my heart's all a flutter. And you can take that to the bank!

• Jack Ingram - Make my heart flutterFebruary 16, 2014 - 11:57 am

• "You Can Take That To The Bank"February 16, 2014 - 12:02 pm

• When Somebody Thinks Your Wonderful Mr. Brad - by Cats WallerFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:17 am

• Charlie Kunz Casani Club Orchestra "Learn to croon & MoonstruckFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:29 am

• Oh...Mr. Brad ! You never flail to please.....February 16, 2014 - 7:46 am

• Wild Cat Blues - Sidney Bechet with Clarence Williams' Blue FiveFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:06 am

• Million Dollar Quartet - I Shall Not Be Moved (Rockabilly Version)February 16, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Over My Head - Fleetwood Mac with LyricsFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:33 am

• RipcordFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:41 am

• Brave..Brave Mr. Brad, he is No Fraidy Cat !February 16, 2014 - 9:45 am

• Zez Confrey piano solo: Kitten On The Keys (1921) OriginalFebruary 16, 2014 - 9:50 am

• Tony WadeFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:54 am

The marks of a hysterical column--laughing out loud the first time you read it and having to kept re-reading parts when you are trying to read it aloud to someone else and are laughing too hard.

• The Shriek of Araby will light our way to Love?February 16, 2014 - 11:28 am

• Smitten - Simon's Cat (A Valentine's Special)February 16, 2014 - 11:40 am

• NFSD.....Blondie-Hanging on the telephoneFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:24 am

• The Nerves - Hanging On The Telephone, Original version 45,February 16, 2014 - 8:25 am

• Pastor AhhmeFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:51 am

Thank Goodness you are unharmed ! .....Pizza Party to celebrate?

• Reuben me the wrong way....February 16, 2014 - 9:19 pm

Not Pizza you fool, Pastor Ahhme, you Sloppy Joe...I have a beef with you, you corny person...... Did not you mean... "Out for a Sandwich to Celebrate" ?....Enough with the wry humor if you can not cut the mustard....She has gone sour-kick-her-out?....Moral of the story....I am trying too hard and I still miss Plunkett...Bye

• Oh...Mr. Brad...U R Sew Hot! Smoking Time Jazz Club - "Percolatin' Blues"February 16, 2014 - 11:49 am

• Explaination ?February 16, 2014 - 11:51 am

He keeps us all in "stitches" ? OK I am done now...

• General Fadi BasemFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:57 pm

Events like you describe can be traumatic. But please take the time to take a couple of deep breaths and put the event out of your mind. And please do not , I REPEAT IN ALL CAPS DO NOT, THINK THAT CEILING CAT IS ABOUT TO BURST THRU THE CEILING. There! That's all I can do...

Teen finds entrepreneurial path at young age

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1, 3 Comments | Gallery

Time for Relay for Life kickoff event

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2

Suisun Senior Center offers monthly dance

Wedding Faire offers one-stop browsing for couples

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

Crab feed tradition continues this week

Local government agencies post meeting times

Fairfield schedules workshop on downtown plan

US gas prices fell 13 cents per gallon, but expected to rise

2 Marines identified in deadly California helicopter crash

Santa Ana winds knock out power to thousands in California

Boy shot by Los Angeles deputies treated for graze wound

Obama to seek wilderness designation for Alaska refuge

Navy wants to increase use of sonar-emitting buoys

Ukraine: Phone calls prove rebels attacked city, killed 30

Zambia: Edgar Lungu sworn in as new president

Greek radical left wins election, threatening market turmoil

‘Potentially historic’ storm headed for Northeast

Balloon crew launches in bid to break 2 major records

Obama: Counterterrorism operations in Yemen not affected

Zoo offers creepy way for lovelorn to get even with exes

Democracy or republic?

By Earl Heal | From Page: A8, 7 Comments

Editorial Cartoon: Jan. 26, 2015

Do elected officials get it?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 17 Comments

Community Calendar: Jan. 26, 2015

Today in History: Jan. 26, 2015

Horoscope Jan. 27, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B5

My sister is jobless and homeless and I’m not sure how to help

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A7

Tavares scores 4, Team Toews outscores Team Foligno, 17-12

Chip Ganassi Racing’s ‘star car’ wins Rolex 24 at Daytona

Patriots’ Browner gets a 2nd chance at a Super Bowl ring

Family attorney: Cubs great Ernie Banks died of heart attack

Bill Haas pulls away to win Humana Challenge

Jeff Gordon to be Fox guest analyst during XFINITY season

Sherman doubts any punishment ahead for Patriots

AP Source: Browns WR Josh Gordon fails another drug test

AP Interview: Selig says MLB could expand internationally

Coach K gets 1,000th win as No. 5 Duke tops St. John’s 77-68

Quinn has led Seattle to record-setting defense

Thomas Clark