Sunday, March 1, 2015

Despite my heroism, I remain humble

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | February 16, 2014 |

I’m no hero. I’m just a simple man, flesh and blood.

Oh, sure, some people might call me a “hero” after my recent actions. They might use such words as “courageous,” “lionhearted” and “indomitable” to describe me, but I’m too unpretentious to accept that. (And it was very hard for me to include that information in the second paragraph of a column. I’m humble, after all.)

Really, I’m just a normal man, doing his normal job. That I cheated death recently might make me lucky or awe-inspiring or, arguably, heroic. But I don’t consider myself heroic. Others might think I am (Who am I kidding? Others obviously believe I am), but I remain a humble man who is grateful for another shot at life.

What did I do that was so courageous?

Well, I insist it was just me doing my job and reacting in a way that any selfless man would react. But others . . . well, they want to elevate me.

Understandable, but not necessary.

I was sitting at my desk in the Daily Republic newsroom one recent morning, watching Internet videos of kittens playing the piano, when suddenly there was a loud noise and a flurry of action above me.

A lesser man (not my words, that’s simply what all my co-workers said after recognizing what they called “heroism” and “a modern-day profile in courage”) might have ducked and covered. He might have run screaming from the building. He might have accidentally turned up the computer’s volume and revealed that he was watching kitty-piano videos.

But I didn’t do any of those things. I just reacted as I was trained.

I flinched. And looked up.

THE LIGHT FIXTURE ABOVE MY DESK HAD COME UNATTACHED ON ONE SIDE AND WAS SWINGING WILDLY ABOVE MY HEAD!

I know! Scary, right?

For several moments, the light fixture – which looks suspiciously like a guillotine when it’s perpendicular to the ceiling – swung back and forth, threatening me.

Most people would have screamed. Many would have cried. Several would have fainted.

Not me.

I stared at it, quickly calculated that it was unlikely to come unattached and decided – contrary to what most (non-heroic?) people would do – to stay at my desk and finish watching the kitty video.

You never know when the countless hours spent watching police and military TV shows will come in handy. I’m so grateful for a youth spent studying Jim Rockford and Tony Baretta.

After the outpouring of affection by my co-workers, I went back to my job. The terror hasn’t ended. The hanging light fixture is still there, hovering over me as I write this.

But when I look up, I don’t think about death. I don’t think about how my actions may have saved others. I don’t think about how my co-workers probably secretly are in awe of my courage.

I’m just grateful to be alive.

Again, I’m no hero. Just a humble man who acted heroically.

Thank you, Jim Rockford. You’re welcome, Solano County.

If I helped one person, I’m pleased. That’s the kind of man I am.

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is a former Daily Republic editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 24 years as a sports editor, associate editor and news editor before leaving the Daily Republic in 2014. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• CD BrooksFebruary 16, 2014 - 6:38 am

Wow, Wow, my heart's all a flutter. And you can take that to the bank!

• Jack Ingram - Make my heart flutterFebruary 16, 2014 - 11:57 am

• "You Can Take That To The Bank"February 16, 2014 - 12:02 pm

• When Somebody Thinks Your Wonderful Mr. Brad - by Cats WallerFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:17 am

• Charlie Kunz Casani Club Orchestra "Learn to croon & MoonstruckFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:29 am

• Oh...Mr. Brad ! You never flail to please.....February 16, 2014 - 7:46 am

• Wild Cat Blues - Sidney Bechet with Clarence Williams' Blue FiveFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:06 am

• Million Dollar Quartet - I Shall Not Be Moved (Rockabilly Version)February 16, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Over My Head - Fleetwood Mac with LyricsFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:33 am

• RipcordFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:41 am

• Brave..Brave Mr. Brad, he is No Fraidy Cat !February 16, 2014 - 9:45 am

• Zez Confrey piano solo: Kitten On The Keys (1921) OriginalFebruary 16, 2014 - 9:50 am

• Tony WadeFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:54 am

The marks of a hysterical column--laughing out loud the first time you read it and having to kept re-reading parts when you are trying to read it aloud to someone else and are laughing too hard.

• The Shriek of Araby will light our way to Love?February 16, 2014 - 11:28 am

• Smitten - Simon's Cat (A Valentine's Special)February 16, 2014 - 11:40 am

• NFSD.....Blondie-Hanging on the telephoneFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:24 am

• The Nerves - Hanging On The Telephone, Original version 45,February 16, 2014 - 8:25 am

• Pastor AhhmeFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:51 am

Thank Goodness you are unharmed ! .....Pizza Party to celebrate?

• Reuben me the wrong way....February 16, 2014 - 9:19 pm

Not Pizza you fool, Pastor Ahhme, you Sloppy Joe...I have a beef with you, you corny person...... Did not you mean... "Out for a Sandwich to Celebrate" ?....Enough with the wry humor if you can not cut the mustard....She has gone sour-kick-her-out?....Moral of the story....I am trying too hard and I still miss Plunkett...Bye

• Oh...Mr. Brad...U R Sew Hot! Smoking Time Jazz Club - "Percolatin' Blues"February 16, 2014 - 11:49 am

• Explaination ?February 16, 2014 - 11:51 am

He keeps us all in "stitches" ? OK I am done now...

• General Fadi BasemFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:57 pm

Events like you describe can be traumatic. But please take the time to take a couple of deep breaths and put the event out of your mind. And please do not , I REPEAT IN ALL CAPS DO NOT, THINK THAT CEILING CAT IS ABOUT TO BURST THRU THE CEILING. There! That's all I can do...

Peace and patience: Quilters gear up for show

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1 | Gallery

School bands compete in Pageantry on Parade

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1, 3 Comments | Gallery

Conservancy plans next Quail Ridge Reserve walk

Police seek suspect in armed robbery

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3, 3 Comments

4-H Presentation Day brings fun, education to Fairfield

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

The agony of the codling moth, ecstasy of worm-free apples

By Christine Macgenn | From Page: C4

What you eat can affect your medications

By Marilyn Ranson | From Page: C4

Rollover in Suisun City

By Aaron Rosenblatt | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

State schedules ramp closure at freeway project site

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Appointments on tap for Board of Supervisors meet

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Tri-City NAACP honors community members at gala event

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5 | Gallery

CAASC 18th Annual Chinese New Year and Scholarship Celebration

By Steve Reczkowski | From Page: A5 | Gallery

NY, SF town house prices through the roof

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

Fairfield police log: Feb. 27, 2015

Suisun City police log: Feb. 27, 2015

Airmen with local ties finish basic training

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B10

Force draws many from South, middle class

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

Christie to Calif. Republicans: No rush to pick 2016 nominee

US missionary abducted in Nigeria is courageous, friends say

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Dress that ‘greatly resembles’ stolen Nyong’o gown found

Weekend storm drops snow, rain, hail in California

Churches, synagogues, mosques bear tough New England winter

Hyundai recalls 263,000 cars due to power-steering problem

Blind dog rescued after being lost for 2 weeks in the cold

Details about proposed national monuments in California

National monument supporters in California get antsy

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Greece will not seek another bailout, prime minister says

Attacks kill 37 people in and north of Iraq’s capital

US drone strike in Yemen kills 3 suspected al-Qaida fighters

Nemtsov a possible ‘sacrificial victim,’ investigators say

Editorial Cartoon: March 1, 2015

Sound off for March 1, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

New school funding plan remains on bumpy path

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Even Gruber deserves a break sometimes

By Megan Mcardle | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

I might just vote for a Democrat next time around

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 10 Comments

Aging Fairfield housing agency faltering

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Community Calendar: March 1, 2015

Today in History: March 1, 2015

With numbers falling, Houston-area nuns’ future uncertain

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Horoscopes: March 1, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Kidney Walk participation helped give me a positive outlook on life

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Take a look – Dr. Seuss has a new book

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Publisher launches line of Warhol e-books

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Q&A: Opera star Deborah Voigt writes of turbulent life

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2Comments are off for this post

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Review: ‘The Girl on the Train’ has realistic plot

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2Comments are off for this post

Vikings girls looking for first section title

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Local Report: Vaca’s Aquino wins Masters wrestling title

Phegley hopes his style will catch on in Oakland

A year after meeting Tiger, Indian golfer on the rise

Jeff Gordon takes a final spin at track that meant so much

Defending champ Federer beats Djokovic to retain Dubai title

Safarova beats Azarenka to win the Qatar Open

Environmental activists disrupt meeting by Olympic officials

Hamilton hones Mercedes with fastest time at F1 testing

Thunder’s Russell Westbrook has surgery on cheekbone

Anthony Mason, rugged forward of 1990s Knicks, dies at 48

Warriors center Festus Ezeli suspended for a game

Reichelt leads Austrian World Cup downhill sweep

Players’ union head: future spring games in Cuba possible

Harrington takes 36-hole lead, then more rain in Florida

Harvick wins Xfinity race at Atlanta for 3rd year in a row

Stolen No. 44 NASCAR race car found in suburban Atlanta

Fruits and vegetables get a star-studded marketing push

For many in US, cash saved at gas pump is staying in pockets

Nevada casinos keep $953.7 million in winnings in January

Historic snows causing headaches for real estate industry

Boy, 13, builds Braille printer with Legos, starts company

By The Associated Press | From Page: B9Comments are off for this post

Recalls this week: hand trucks, ceiling fans

Review: Freedom! These smartwatches leave the phone behind

Greek prime minister rules out third bailout

AP Exclusive: Fuel-hauling trains could derail at 10 a year