Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Despite my heroism, I remain humble

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | February 16, 2014 |

I’m no hero. I’m just a simple man, flesh and blood.

Oh, sure, some people might call me a “hero” after my recent actions. They might use such words as “courageous,” “lionhearted” and “indomitable” to describe me, but I’m too unpretentious to accept that. (And it was very hard for me to include that information in the second paragraph of a column. I’m humble, after all.)

Really, I’m just a normal man, doing his normal job. That I cheated death recently might make me lucky or awe-inspiring or, arguably, heroic. But I don’t consider myself heroic. Others might think I am (Who am I kidding? Others obviously believe I am), but I remain a humble man who is grateful for another shot at life.

What did I do that was so courageous?

Well, I insist it was just me doing my job and reacting in a way that any selfless man would react. But others . . . well, they want to elevate me.

Understandable, but not necessary.

I was sitting at my desk in the Daily Republic newsroom one recent morning, watching Internet videos of kittens playing the piano, when suddenly there was a loud noise and a flurry of action above me.

A lesser man (not my words, that’s simply what all my co-workers said after recognizing what they called “heroism” and “a modern-day profile in courage”) might have ducked and covered. He might have run screaming from the building. He might have accidentally turned up the computer’s volume and revealed that he was watching kitty-piano videos.

But I didn’t do any of those things. I just reacted as I was trained.

I flinched. And looked up.

THE LIGHT FIXTURE ABOVE MY DESK HAD COME UNATTACHED ON ONE SIDE AND WAS SWINGING WILDLY ABOVE MY HEAD!

I know! Scary, right?

For several moments, the light fixture – which looks suspiciously like a guillotine when it’s perpendicular to the ceiling – swung back and forth, threatening me.

Most people would have screamed. Many would have cried. Several would have fainted.

Not me.

I stared at it, quickly calculated that it was unlikely to come unattached and decided – contrary to what most (non-heroic?) people would do – to stay at my desk and finish watching the kitty video.

You never know when the countless hours spent watching police and military TV shows will come in handy. I’m so grateful for a youth spent studying Jim Rockford and Tony Baretta.

After the outpouring of affection by my co-workers, I went back to my job. The terror hasn’t ended. The hanging light fixture is still there, hovering over me as I write this.

But when I look up, I don’t think about death. I don’t think about how my actions may have saved others. I don’t think about how my co-workers probably secretly are in awe of my courage.

I’m just grateful to be alive.

Again, I’m no hero. Just a humble man who acted heroically.

Thank you, Jim Rockford. You’re welcome, Solano County.

If I helped one person, I’m pleased. That’s the kind of man I am.

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is a former Daily Republic editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 24 years as a sports editor, associate editor and news editor before leaving the Daily Republic in 2014. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• CD BrooksFebruary 16, 2014 - 6:38 am

Wow, Wow, my heart's all a flutter. And you can take that to the bank!

• Jack Ingram - Make my heart flutterFebruary 16, 2014 - 11:57 am

• "You Can Take That To The Bank"February 16, 2014 - 12:02 pm

• When Somebody Thinks Your Wonderful Mr. Brad - by Cats WallerFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:17 am

• Charlie Kunz Casani Club Orchestra "Learn to croon & MoonstruckFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:29 am

• Oh...Mr. Brad ! You never flail to please.....February 16, 2014 - 7:46 am

• Wild Cat Blues - Sidney Bechet with Clarence Williams' Blue FiveFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:06 am

• Million Dollar Quartet - I Shall Not Be Moved (Rockabilly Version)February 16, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Over My Head - Fleetwood Mac with LyricsFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:33 am

• RipcordFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:41 am

• Brave..Brave Mr. Brad, he is No Fraidy Cat !February 16, 2014 - 9:45 am

• Zez Confrey piano solo: Kitten On The Keys (1921) OriginalFebruary 16, 2014 - 9:50 am

• Tony WadeFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:54 am

The marks of a hysterical column--laughing out loud the first time you read it and having to kept re-reading parts when you are trying to read it aloud to someone else and are laughing too hard.

• The Shriek of Araby will light our way to Love?February 16, 2014 - 11:28 am

• Smitten - Simon's Cat (A Valentine's Special)February 16, 2014 - 11:40 am

• NFSD.....Blondie-Hanging on the telephoneFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:24 am

• The Nerves - Hanging On The Telephone, Original version 45,February 16, 2014 - 8:25 am

• Pastor AhhmeFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:51 am

Thank Goodness you are unharmed ! .....Pizza Party to celebrate?

• Reuben me the wrong way....February 16, 2014 - 9:19 pm

Not Pizza you fool, Pastor Ahhme, you Sloppy Joe...I have a beef with you, you corny person...... Did not you mean... "Out for a Sandwich to Celebrate" ?....Enough with the wry humor if you can not cut the mustard....She has gone sour-kick-her-out?....Moral of the story....I am trying too hard and I still miss Plunkett...Bye

• Oh...Mr. Brad...U R Sew Hot! Smoking Time Jazz Club - "Percolatin' Blues"February 16, 2014 - 11:49 am

• Explaination ?February 16, 2014 - 11:51 am

He keeps us all in "stitches" ? OK I am done now...

• General Fadi BasemFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:57 pm

Events like you describe can be traumatic. But please take the time to take a couple of deep breaths and put the event out of your mind. And please do not , I REPEAT IN ALL CAPS DO NOT, THINK THAT CEILING CAT IS ABOUT TO BURST THRU THE CEILING. There! That's all I can do...

Explore habitat of bats at special Solano-Yolo event

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7, 2 Comments | Gallery

Train hits car, kills 1

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: , 3 Comments | Gallery

Dollar Tree settles illegal dumping case

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Man walks to bring awareness to need for divorce reform

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3 | Gallery

‘The Mask You Live In’ set for Vacaville premiere

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A2 | Gallery

Woman reported missing in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: | Gallery

Caltrans reminds motorists of Highway 12 bridge work

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Thor, Iron Man, Captain America return to movie screens

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Chambers plans Cinco de Mayo celebration

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A7

Rio Vista to celebrate endive once again

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A7

Full slate of events on tap in downtown Vacaville

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: April 24, 2015

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Loretta Lynch sworn in as new US attorney general

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment

GOP defense budget challenges Obama on Ukraine, Guantanamo

Senate expands community colleges’ reach on sexual assault

Tuna company, 2 employees charged in death of worker in oven

Woman convicted of murder after young daughter disappeared

Ex-Guantanamo detainees in Uruguay protest at US Embassy

Cash handoffs, extortion fuel Mediterranean trafficking

Suspect in woman’s shooting arrested after 5-hour standoff

High court rejects appeal from protester at military base

Study blames global warming for 75 percent of very hot days

Nepal quake death toll tops 4,000; villages plead for aid

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment | Gallery

Corinthian Colleges closes all 28 remaining campuses

California teen confesses to fatally stabbing 9-year-old boy

New Ellis Island center to complete US immigration story

US, Japan boost defense ties with eyes on China, NKorea

Coast Guard suspends search for 4 missing off Alabama coast

Tiny California tribe turns to adoption to boost revenue

Yemen’s exiled government declares 3 disaster zones

Prosecutor: 2 exams found James Holmes to be sane

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment

Judge won’t delay order on inmate sex reassignment surgery

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment | Gallery

Thousands attend funeral for Freddie Gray in Baltimore

Time for multiple-county tourism, arts, downtown project

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

What’s Marco Rubio’s secret?

By Jennifer Rubin | From Page: A11, 8 Comments

Community Calendar: April 28, 2015

Jayne Meadows, actress and TV personality, dies at 95

Winehouse family criticizes ‘misleading’ movie about singer

Singer Jamie Barton wins the ‘Heisman Trophy’ of music

Rushdie chastises authors protesting Hebdo tribute

It’s nail-biting time on Broadway ahead of Tony nominations

‘Black-ish’ creator set to write ‘Good Times’ movie

Don Mankiewicz, Oscar-nominated screenwriter, dies at 93

Salma Hayek hopes ‘The Prophet’ inspires new generations

TVGrid April 28

Dodgers pitcher McCarthy out for season with elbow injury

Sharks near agreement to extend lease in San Jose

Raiders head into draft in need of receiver, pass rusher

Pacquiao, Roach scheme on plan for Mayweather’s defense

A new format, more golf for all at Match Play

Orioles’ game in Baltimore postponed due to safety concerns

Warriors trying to stay sharp while waiting for 2nd round

Kerr wins Rudy Tomjanovich Award from Pro Basketball Writers

Cards ace Adam Wainwright out for season with torn Achilles

Owner Ahmed Zayat takes aim at Kentucky Derby with 3 horses

Equestrian aims for more nations competing at Olympics

Cavaliers move on without Love, out with dislocated shoulder

Redskins to pick up 5th-year option on Robert Griffin III

Rare Honus Wagner baseball card sells for $1.32 million

Arrest warrant sought for UFC champ in hit-and-run crash

Hamilton given back to Texas after troubled Angels stint

89-year-old former Kansas player scores in alumni scrimmage

Arena talks underway in Seattle suburb with eye on hockey

Vegas sets up ‘concentric’ security for upcoming megafight

Packers will retire Favre’s jersey on Thanksgiving

Grizzlies G Mike Conley has facial surgery

Peterson absent but still wanted back by Vikings

Ex-executive gets prison for $27M insider trading scheme

High court to consider lawsuits over personal data

By The Associated Press | From Page: B4, 1 Comment

Discover discovers Apple Pay for its US cardholders

With economy uncertain, no Fed rate hike is seen before fall

Change to Greek bailout negotiating team fuels market hopes

Burger King heats it up with spicy Whopper and sales surge

Forget the watch: Apple’s iPhones are still the main event

Truckers at huge seaport complex strike; impact minimal

ESPN suing Verizon over unbundling of its sports channel

Garfield April 28