Monday, October 20, 2014

Despite my heroism, I remain humble

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | February 16, 2014 |

I’m no hero. I’m just a simple man, flesh and blood.

Oh, sure, some people might call me a “hero” after my recent actions. They might use such words as “courageous,” “lionhearted” and “indomitable” to describe me, but I’m too unpretentious to accept that. (And it was very hard for me to include that information in the second paragraph of a column. I’m humble, after all.)

Really, I’m just a normal man, doing his normal job. That I cheated death recently might make me lucky or awe-inspiring or, arguably, heroic. But I don’t consider myself heroic. Others might think I am (Who am I kidding? Others obviously believe I am), but I remain a humble man who is grateful for another shot at life.

What did I do that was so courageous?

Well, I insist it was just me doing my job and reacting in a way that any selfless man would react. But others . . . well, they want to elevate me.

Understandable, but not necessary.

I was sitting at my desk in the Daily Republic newsroom one recent morning, watching Internet videos of kittens playing the piano, when suddenly there was a loud noise and a flurry of action above me.

A lesser man (not my words, that’s simply what all my co-workers said after recognizing what they called “heroism” and “a modern-day profile in courage”) might have ducked and covered. He might have run screaming from the building. He might have accidentally turned up the computer’s volume and revealed that he was watching kitty-piano videos.

But I didn’t do any of those things. I just reacted as I was trained.

I flinched. And looked up.

THE LIGHT FIXTURE ABOVE MY DESK HAD COME UNATTACHED ON ONE SIDE AND WAS SWINGING WILDLY ABOVE MY HEAD!

I know! Scary, right?

For several moments, the light fixture – which looks suspiciously like a guillotine when it’s perpendicular to the ceiling – swung back and forth, threatening me.

Most people would have screamed. Many would have cried. Several would have fainted.

Not me.

I stared at it, quickly calculated that it was unlikely to come unattached and decided – contrary to what most (non-heroic?) people would do – to stay at my desk and finish watching the kitty video.

You never know when the countless hours spent watching police and military TV shows will come in handy. I’m so grateful for a youth spent studying Jim Rockford and Tony Baretta.

After the outpouring of affection by my co-workers, I went back to my job. The terror hasn’t ended. The hanging light fixture is still there, hovering over me as I write this.

But when I look up, I don’t think about death. I don’t think about how my actions may have saved others. I don’t think about how my co-workers probably secretly are in awe of my courage.

I’m just grateful to be alive.

Again, I’m no hero. Just a humble man who acted heroically.

Thank you, Jim Rockford. You’re welcome, Solano County.

If I helped one person, I’m pleased. That’s the kind of man I am.

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or bstanhope@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is the Daily Republic's news editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 17 years as a sports editor and three years as the associate editor before spending three years away from the newspaper (though continuing as a columnist). He returned in December 2010 as news editor. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• CD BrooksFebruary 16, 2014 - 6:38 am

Wow, Wow, my heart's all a flutter. And you can take that to the bank!

• Jack Ingram - Make my heart flutterFebruary 16, 2014 - 11:57 am

• "You Can Take That To The Bank"February 16, 2014 - 12:02 pm

• When Somebody Thinks Your Wonderful Mr. Brad - by Cats WallerFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:17 am

• Charlie Kunz Casani Club Orchestra "Learn to croon & MoonstruckFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:29 am

• Oh...Mr. Brad ! You never flail to please.....February 16, 2014 - 7:46 am

• Wild Cat Blues - Sidney Bechet with Clarence Williams' Blue FiveFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:06 am

• Million Dollar Quartet - I Shall Not Be Moved (Rockabilly Version)February 16, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Over My Head - Fleetwood Mac with LyricsFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:33 am

• RipcordFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:41 am

• Brave..Brave Mr. Brad, he is No Fraidy Cat !February 16, 2014 - 9:45 am

• Zez Confrey piano solo: Kitten On The Keys (1921) OriginalFebruary 16, 2014 - 9:50 am

• Tony WadeFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:54 am

The marks of a hysterical column--laughing out loud the first time you read it and having to kept re-reading parts when you are trying to read it aloud to someone else and are laughing too hard.

• The Shriek of Araby will light our way to Love?February 16, 2014 - 11:28 am

• Smitten - Simon's Cat (A Valentine's Special)February 16, 2014 - 11:40 am

• NFSD.....Blondie-Hanging on the telephoneFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:24 am

• The Nerves - Hanging On The Telephone, Original version 45,February 16, 2014 - 8:25 am

• Pastor AhhmeFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:51 am

Thank Goodness you are unharmed ! .....Pizza Party to celebrate?

• Reuben me the wrong way....February 16, 2014 - 9:19 pm

Not Pizza you fool, Pastor Ahhme, you Sloppy Joe...I have a beef with you, you corny person...... Did not you mean... "Out for a Sandwich to Celebrate" ?....Enough with the wry humor if you can not cut the mustard....She has gone sour-kick-her-out?....Moral of the story....I am trying too hard and I still miss Plunkett...Bye

• Oh...Mr. Brad...U R Sew Hot! Smoking Time Jazz Club - "Percolatin' Blues"February 16, 2014 - 11:49 am

• Explaination ?February 16, 2014 - 11:51 am

He keeps us all in "stitches" ? OK I am done now...

• General Fadi BasemFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:57 pm

Events like you describe can be traumatic. But please take the time to take a couple of deep breaths and put the event out of your mind. And please do not , I REPEAT IN ALL CAPS DO NOT, THINK THAT CEILING CAT IS ABOUT TO BURST THRU THE CEILING. There! That's all I can do...

Girl Scouts explore sweet side of chemistry

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Local governments schedule meetings

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A4

Weather for Monday, Oct. 20, 2014

Marine accused in Philippine killing tests US ties

Suisun mayor offers his endorsements

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Which candidates support Alzheimer’s cure?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Beware a Trojan horse

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 3 Comments

Pulse poll question

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Palmer leads Cardinals past Raiders 24-13

Manning breaks Favre’s TD mark in 42-17

Tim Lincecum waits his turn, still yet to pitch

Keselowski keeps title hopes alive at Talladega

NFL roundup: Jaguars bounce Browns, gets first win

SEC is 1st conference to put 4 in top 5 of AP poll

Ski champ Svindal injured while playing soccer

Serena Williams hits back at Russian official

Kings pick up G Ben McLemore’s option

Rockets beat Warriors 90-83 in exhibition game

Pacquiao makes professional basketball debut

Cal receiver Trevor Davis released from hospital

Sounders rally for 2-2 tie with LA Galaxy

Rangers net 2 in 4 seconds; Lundqvist stops Sharks

This date in sports history for Monday, Oct. 20, 2014

Royals dependent on 3-headed bullpen monster

Hend wins Hong Kong Open in a playoff

Baek wins playoff to take LPGA South Korea

Ilonen beats Stenson in World Match Play final

Jay Haas wins Greater Hickory Kia Classic

Ben Martin wins 1st PGA Tour title in Las Vegas

Denkinger’s miss revisited as Series returns to KC

Facebook, Apple pay for egg freezing, sperm donors

B.C. Oct 20