Friday, March 27, 2015

Despite my heroism, I remain humble

stanhope column sig

From page A2 | February 16, 2014 |

I’m no hero. I’m just a simple man, flesh and blood.

Oh, sure, some people might call me a “hero” after my recent actions. They might use such words as “courageous,” “lionhearted” and “indomitable” to describe me, but I’m too unpretentious to accept that. (And it was very hard for me to include that information in the second paragraph of a column. I’m humble, after all.)

Really, I’m just a normal man, doing his normal job. That I cheated death recently might make me lucky or awe-inspiring or, arguably, heroic. But I don’t consider myself heroic. Others might think I am (Who am I kidding? Others obviously believe I am), but I remain a humble man who is grateful for another shot at life.

What did I do that was so courageous?

Well, I insist it was just me doing my job and reacting in a way that any selfless man would react. But others . . . well, they want to elevate me.

Understandable, but not necessary.

I was sitting at my desk in the Daily Republic newsroom one recent morning, watching Internet videos of kittens playing the piano, when suddenly there was a loud noise and a flurry of action above me.

A lesser man (not my words, that’s simply what all my co-workers said after recognizing what they called “heroism” and “a modern-day profile in courage”) might have ducked and covered. He might have run screaming from the building. He might have accidentally turned up the computer’s volume and revealed that he was watching kitty-piano videos.

But I didn’t do any of those things. I just reacted as I was trained.

I flinched. And looked up.

THE LIGHT FIXTURE ABOVE MY DESK HAD COME UNATTACHED ON ONE SIDE AND WAS SWINGING WILDLY ABOVE MY HEAD!

I know! Scary, right?

For several moments, the light fixture – which looks suspiciously like a guillotine when it’s perpendicular to the ceiling – swung back and forth, threatening me.

Most people would have screamed. Many would have cried. Several would have fainted.

Not me.

I stared at it, quickly calculated that it was unlikely to come unattached and decided – contrary to what most (non-heroic?) people would do – to stay at my desk and finish watching the kitty video.

You never know when the countless hours spent watching police and military TV shows will come in handy. I’m so grateful for a youth spent studying Jim Rockford and Tony Baretta.

After the outpouring of affection by my co-workers, I went back to my job. The terror hasn’t ended. The hanging light fixture is still there, hovering over me as I write this.

But when I look up, I don’t think about death. I don’t think about how my actions may have saved others. I don’t think about how my co-workers probably secretly are in awe of my courage.

I’m just grateful to be alive.

Again, I’m no hero. Just a humble man who acted heroically.

Thank you, Jim Rockford. You’re welcome, Solano County.

If I helped one person, I’m pleased. That’s the kind of man I am.

Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope

Brad Stanhope is a former Daily Republic editor. He began his career at the DR in the last millennium. He spent 24 years as a sports editor, associate editor and news editor before leaving the Daily Republic in 2014. Brad lives in Suisun City with his wife, Mrs. Brad, and two sons. He enjoys cheese.

• CD BrooksFebruary 16, 2014 - 6:38 am

Wow, Wow, my heart's all a flutter. And you can take that to the bank!

• Jack Ingram - Make my heart flutterFebruary 16, 2014 - 11:57 am

• "You Can Take That To The Bank"February 16, 2014 - 12:02 pm

• When Somebody Thinks Your Wonderful Mr. Brad - by Cats WallerFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:17 am

• Charlie Kunz Casani Club Orchestra "Learn to croon & MoonstruckFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:29 am

• Oh...Mr. Brad ! You never flail to please.....February 16, 2014 - 7:46 am

• Wild Cat Blues - Sidney Bechet with Clarence Williams' Blue FiveFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:06 am

• Million Dollar Quartet - I Shall Not Be Moved (Rockabilly Version)February 16, 2014 - 8:15 am

• Over My Head - Fleetwood Mac with LyricsFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:33 am

• RipcordFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:41 am

• Brave..Brave Mr. Brad, he is No Fraidy Cat !February 16, 2014 - 9:45 am

• Zez Confrey piano solo: Kitten On The Keys (1921) OriginalFebruary 16, 2014 - 9:50 am

• Tony WadeFebruary 16, 2014 - 7:54 am

The marks of a hysterical column--laughing out loud the first time you read it and having to kept re-reading parts when you are trying to read it aloud to someone else and are laughing too hard.

• The Shriek of Araby will light our way to Love?February 16, 2014 - 11:28 am

• Smitten - Simon's Cat (A Valentine's Special)February 16, 2014 - 11:40 am

• NFSD.....Blondie-Hanging on the telephoneFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:24 am

• The Nerves - Hanging On The Telephone, Original version 45,February 16, 2014 - 8:25 am

• Pastor AhhmeFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:51 am

Thank Goodness you are unharmed ! .....Pizza Party to celebrate?

• Reuben me the wrong way....February 16, 2014 - 9:19 pm

Not Pizza you fool, Pastor Ahhme, you Sloppy Joe...I have a beef with you, you corny person...... Did not you mean... "Out for a Sandwich to Celebrate" ?....Enough with the wry humor if you can not cut the mustard....She has gone sour-kick-her-out?....Moral of the story....I am trying too hard and I still miss Plunkett...Bye

• Oh...Mr. Brad...U R Sew Hot! Smoking Time Jazz Club - "Percolatin' Blues"February 16, 2014 - 11:49 am

• Explaination ?February 16, 2014 - 11:51 am

He keeps us all in "stitches" ? OK I am done now...

• General Fadi BasemFebruary 16, 2014 - 8:57 pm

Events like you describe can be traumatic. But please take the time to take a couple of deep breaths and put the event out of your mind. And please do not , I REPEAT IN ALL CAPS DO NOT, THINK THAT CEILING CAT IS ABOUT TO BURST THRU THE CEILING. There! That's all I can do...

Brasher new president, CEO of Jelly Belly

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Rio Vista singer ready for Rancho Cordova show

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Everyday life inspires model’s music

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Hosting gig for comic, birthday party on weekend schedule

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Spring Fling set to return to Rancho Solano

Kids fishing day events return

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: March 25, 2015

Suisun police log: March 25, 2015

Lawyers dispute hoax claim, boyfriend says he was drugged

Co-pilot believed to have purposefully crashed plane

L.A. river revamp to cost double previous projections

Governor awaits $1B drought relief bill

US drops graphic leaflet to possible Islamic State recruits

AP Exclusive: Special ops troops using flawed intel software

State to alter ban on where sex offenders can live

Grateful Oklahomans salvage belongings after killer storm

Fact Check: Myths in the political roar over Common Core

US: Chicago-area cousins planned US terrorist attack

Report: Teen says mom killed her siblings found in freezer

House OKs bipartisan Medicare doctor bill; fate up to Senate

Talent agency wants Matt McConaughey speaking fee secret

US Thunderbolt II attack planes on training in Poland

Syrian government shells kill 18 in south, activists say

Turmoil in Yemen escalates as Saudi Arabia bombs rebels

Russian, American ready for a year in space

Tunisians assure Star Wars sets safe from Islamic State

Today in History: March 27, 2015

Community Calendar: March 27, 2015

Horoscopes: March 27, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Parents may be enabling son’s drinking and hurting his employment chances

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Week in preview March 27 to April 3, 2015

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

‘Downton Abbey’ to end after upcoming 6th season

With ‘Downton Abbey’s coming demise, here are 5 past deaths

Ken Burns unravels the mysteries of cancer in PBS film

Review: Animated alien adventure ‘Home’ lands with a thud

Entertainment Calendar: March 27, 2015

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

By Daily Republic | From Page: B6

Prep swimming preview: City teams look to make big splash

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Marleau, Niemi lead Sharks past Red Wings 6-4

Warriors can match franchise record for wins at Memphis

San Diego city, county join forces on bid to keep NFL

Labor, developers reach deal on proposed Inglewood stadium

Italians will pull out of America’s Cup if boats downsized

49ers waive OL Jonathan Martin after 1 season with team

Notre Dame races by Wichita State 81-70 for Elite Eight spot

Kentucky overwhelms West Virginia 78-39 in NCAA Sweet 16

This date in sports history for March 27, 2015

Mirim Lee leads LPGA Tour’s Kia Classic

Charley Hoffman takes PGA lead in wind-swept Texas Open

Range Rover offers an exclusivity that’s rich with irony

By The Washington Post | From Page: C1

Google’s new CFO gets $70M for defecting from Morgan Stanley

Bankruptcy hearing could decide fate of RadioShack

Microsoft wants US suppliers to give employees paid time off

Lawmakers unhappy with new fracking rules

Authorities go after crooked car deals in national crackdown

Oil prices jump almost 5 percent as tensions mount in Yemen