Friday, February 27, 2015

Tough to deal with aftermath of suicide

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | May 12, 2014 |

For a number of years now, my brother Kelvin and I have used the bullhorn of our respective Daily Republic columns in May to talk about our older brother Kenneth James Wade, who committed a murder/suicide on Mother’s Day 1990.

I have done the guilt/blame thing, been very angry at Ken for his actions and been surprised to discover that the crushing grief can sometimes still, so many years later, feel as fresh as when I heard the tragic news.

Taking a timeout from my regular Monday humor column to focus on such a sensitive, heavy topic serves the dual purposes of hopefully helping someone and giving me yet another positive way to deal with how much I miss my brother.

I recently attended a memorial for a man who killed himself and while he was not a close friend, I experienced the intense ripples of pain that his decision left among those who knew and loved him. That’s why this year I want to focus on those left behind after a loved one commits suicide, and how they deal with it.

Six years ago, a friend of mine was rocked to the core when her husband of 12 years committed suicide, leaving her to raise their son and twin girls alone. She agreed to share her experiences and since her children, who are still quite young, do not know how their father died, she will remain anonymous.

Q: What has been the most difficult part?

The most difficult part is seeing my kids grow up and him not being here to enjoy this experience. Not having my life partner here is not what I envisioned for my life. Anniversaries are hard. Birthdays are hard. Going to a park and seeing a family together is a trigger for me. Going to dinner alone with my kids is a trigger. I used to avoid those things, but now I am able to get through them.

Q: In what specific ways have you dealt with it?

I have a big support system. I have family and I try to stay active and live a healthy lifestyle. The girls are now in counseling, which gives them an opportunity to talk with other children who have lost parents. I have a church, I have my faith and I pray and I cry. I am angry sometimes, too. It is a wave of emotions. I have gotten counseling and did a grief share class twice.

Q: What about “closure” and moving on?

Friends want you to go on, but you can’t rush this thing and people sometimes think they are saying the right things and often they are not. I learned in counseling that life goes on. Other people have lives that are not going to stop just because your husband is gone. A lot of people didn’t feel comfortable around me because they felt I would always have a breakdown. A lot of times I felt like I couldn’t talk about memories of my husband, but I talk about him freely now. I have to make people comfortable around me. And I have people I can call when I am having a down day.

Q: Does talking about it help?

Yes. I have people come up to me and tell me they had a brother who did that. Or they had a cousin who did that. Some people want to talk about it, but some don’t. There are a lot of people out there who are in pain who could benefit from a suicide support group.

Initially, I spent a lot of energy lying about how my husband died. When people ask now, I tell them my husband committed suicide – and then you get all the questions. Working with a counselor, I now know it wasn’t about me. It’s not a reflection on me. I don’t know why this happened to me or my kids or his family, but it has and I have to move on. I can’t let it define who I am.

You can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255  or visit www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected].

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Rita GoldenMay 12, 2014 - 1:29 am

This is a great read Tony. My brother committed suicide in 1979 at the age of 19 years. I miss him dearly. I still remember what his feet and hands looked like, the way he walked and would bite his bottom lip and I can still hear his voice if I sit quietly and think about him. I guess you and I do have something in common Tony and I will tell you this from my heart that I am sorry for your pain and loss.

• Tony WadeMay 12, 2014 - 7:10 am

Thank you, Rita. The older I get, the more I see what a senseless act it was. "This Too Shall Pass"--good or bad--is how I live my life now. I am truly sorry for your loss as well.

• boomMay 12, 2014 - 8:51 am

5/7/12 -I miss my bro so much. Still so confused. Its surrealistic to me to know that when he walked out that door, I would never see him alive again.

• devinMay 12, 2014 - 9:00 am

Good job tony....this subject touches all. My friends left us during fhs 96 school year....that was real hard for us. We called it black fridays because every friday we found out someone committed suicide. ..tragic losses

• Tony WadeMay 12, 2014 - 3:41 pm

I remember that. It was so awful. There was a young woman from my church who attended FHS then.

• Patti HadravaMay 12, 2014 - 3:22 pm

Tony, our son Rickey also died from suicide in 1990 just a few days before Mother's Day. I met your mom & brother Kelvin shortly afterwards. We did our best for each other trying to make sense of our losses, the stigma of suicide and how to go on with our lives. Every year around this time I think about your family and wonder how you are all doing. I hope that Kenneth and Rickey are at peace. Take good care of each other. Patti

• Tony WadeMay 12, 2014 - 3:44 pm

Thank you Patti. Life does go on and while the pain is not necessarily less, it is somewhat different. Still, this time of the year, it is incredibly hard because it all comes back. I hope you and your family are well.

Fairfield mayor ready to share a whale of a tale

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1, 1 Comment

Nonagenarian recounts life as spy in World War II

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Republican women to hear about immigration reform

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

2-day event will focus on bullying prevention

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Kaiser offers Capoot scholarships

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A4

Wolk to chair committee on state’s wine industry

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Suisun City police log: Feb. 25, 2015

Fairfield police log: Feb. 25, 2015

Llamas on the loose trends on Twitter

Two inured in hazmat explosion

No charges yet for train crash truck driver

After 67 years of marriage, couple dies holding hands

Missing 400-year-old Italian books found in California

Sacramento man pressured to remove swastikas

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 3 Comments

Not guilty plea for suspect in Hollywood exec murder

Feds: 3 accused in Islamic State plot vocal about beliefs

Vandalism in Arizona shows the Internet’s vulnerability

Prosecutor: Mom craved attention, poisoned child with salt

Saudi man convicted of conspiracy in ’98 US embassy bombings

Panel: Use new meningitis vaccines only for outbreaks

House GOP weighs new approach on Homeland Security

Ukraine, rebels start pulling back heavy weapons in the east

‘Jihadi John’ raised in UK, studied computers, reports say

Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts

Today in History: Feb. 27, 2015

Community Calendar: Feb. 27, 2015

Horoscopes: Feb. 27, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

I’m worrie about how my wife’s erratic behavior is affecting our kids

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Week in preview Feb. 27-March 5, 2015

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Conan O’Brien takes his show to Cuba for a special hour

Review: Smith, Robbie pour on the charm in sharp ‘Focus’

Custom dress Lupita Nyong’o wore at Oscars reported stolen

ABC’s Sawyer does prime-time prison special

Q&A: Writer-director-actor Mark Duplass is a busy guy

Actor Will Patton charged with DUI in native South Carolina

AP Exclusive: Redmayne lends voice to “Thomas & Friends”

Entertainment Calendar: Feb. 27, 2015

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

Tea Leoni in a happy state as star of ‘Madam Secretary’

Graceland brings Elvis back to his Las Vegas home

A’s begin baseball’s mandatory domestic violence training

Earthquakes set to open new MLS stadium

LeBron scores 42, Cavs beat Warriors for 18th win in last 20

AP source: 49ers to bid to host college football title game

Bulls say Rose to have surgery on Friday

NASCAR back on track for extra day of testing in Atlanta

No word on possible MLB discipline for Angels star Hamilton

Giants closer Casilla hit on shin during batting practice

LeBron not happy colleges recruiting 10-year-old son

IOC member, once critical of Rio, now sees ‘great progress’

Judge rules for Peterson, opening door for reinstatement

Herman survives windy day; McIlroy stumbles at Honda Classic

Roberts, NBA writers open discussion over locker room access

IOC relaxes rule on athletes and sponsors during Olympics

Nevada gambling regulators sign off on Olympic betting

Video shows Hernandez dancing near gas pump before killing

Kings’ Collison to have surgery, re-evaluated in 3-6 weeks

5 things to know about ‘net neutrality’

Regulators approve tougher rules for Internet providers

Volkswagen Jetta is a pleasure to live with, not just to gawk at

By Washington Post | From Page: C1 | Gallery

Strong reliability scores should help Buick brand’s rebirth

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Nissan executive known as ‘father of the Z’ dies at 105

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Medical marijuana passes tough first hurdle in Utah

Applications for US jobless aid rise to 313,000

Google looks for more revenue from ads in Android app store

Walmart CEO wading through mounting issues

Pew study: Americans still stressed despite improved economy

Facebook allows users to ‘fill in’ gender option

By The Associated Press | From Page: B11, 1 Comment