Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tough to deal with aftermath of suicide

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | May 12, 2014 |

For a number of years now, my brother Kelvin and I have used the bullhorn of our respective Daily Republic columns in May to talk about our older brother Kenneth James Wade, who committed a murder/suicide on Mother’s Day 1990.

I have done the guilt/blame thing, been very angry at Ken for his actions and been surprised to discover that the crushing grief can sometimes still, so many years later, feel as fresh as when I heard the tragic news.

Taking a timeout from my regular Monday humor column to focus on such a sensitive, heavy topic serves the dual purposes of hopefully helping someone and giving me yet another positive way to deal with how much I miss my brother.

I recently attended a memorial for a man who killed himself and while he was not a close friend, I experienced the intense ripples of pain that his decision left among those who knew and loved him. That’s why this year I want to focus on those left behind after a loved one commits suicide, and how they deal with it.

Six years ago, a friend of mine was rocked to the core when her husband of 12 years committed suicide, leaving her to raise their son and twin girls alone. She agreed to share her experiences and since her children, who are still quite young, do not know how their father died, she will remain anonymous.

Q: What has been the most difficult part?

The most difficult part is seeing my kids grow up and him not being here to enjoy this experience. Not having my life partner here is not what I envisioned for my life. Anniversaries are hard. Birthdays are hard. Going to a park and seeing a family together is a trigger for me. Going to dinner alone with my kids is a trigger. I used to avoid those things, but now I am able to get through them.

Q: In what specific ways have you dealt with it?

I have a big support system. I have family and I try to stay active and live a healthy lifestyle. The girls are now in counseling, which gives them an opportunity to talk with other children who have lost parents. I have a church, I have my faith and I pray and I cry. I am angry sometimes, too. It is a wave of emotions. I have gotten counseling and did a grief share class twice.

Q: What about “closure” and moving on?

Friends want you to go on, but you can’t rush this thing and people sometimes think they are saying the right things and often they are not. I learned in counseling that life goes on. Other people have lives that are not going to stop just because your husband is gone. A lot of people didn’t feel comfortable around me because they felt I would always have a breakdown. A lot of times I felt like I couldn’t talk about memories of my husband, but I talk about him freely now. I have to make people comfortable around me. And I have people I can call when I am having a down day.

Q: Does talking about it help?

Yes. I have people come up to me and tell me they had a brother who did that. Or they had a cousin who did that. Some people want to talk about it, but some don’t. There are a lot of people out there who are in pain who could benefit from a suicide support group.

Initially, I spent a lot of energy lying about how my husband died. When people ask now, I tell them my husband committed suicide – and then you get all the questions. Working with a counselor, I now know it wasn’t about me. It’s not a reflection on me. I don’t know why this happened to me or my kids or his family, but it has and I have to move on. I can’t let it define who I am.

You can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255  or visit www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected].

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Rita GoldenMay 12, 2014 - 1:29 am

This is a great read Tony. My brother committed suicide in 1979 at the age of 19 years. I miss him dearly. I still remember what his feet and hands looked like, the way he walked and would bite his bottom lip and I can still hear his voice if I sit quietly and think about him. I guess you and I do have something in common Tony and I will tell you this from my heart that I am sorry for your pain and loss.

• Tony WadeMay 12, 2014 - 7:10 am

Thank you, Rita. The older I get, the more I see what a senseless act it was. "This Too Shall Pass"--good or bad--is how I live my life now. I am truly sorry for your loss as well.

• boomMay 12, 2014 - 8:51 am

5/7/12 -I miss my bro so much. Still so confused. Its surrealistic to me to know that when he walked out that door, I would never see him alive again.

• devinMay 12, 2014 - 9:00 am

Good job tony....this subject touches all. My friends left us during fhs 96 school year....that was real hard for us. We called it black fridays because every friday we found out someone committed suicide. ..tragic losses

• Tony WadeMay 12, 2014 - 3:41 pm

I remember that. It was so awful. There was a young woman from my church who attended FHS then.

• Patti HadravaMay 12, 2014 - 3:22 pm

Tony, our son Rickey also died from suicide in 1990 just a few days before Mother's Day. I met your mom & brother Kelvin shortly afterwards. We did our best for each other trying to make sense of our losses, the stigma of suicide and how to go on with our lives. Every year around this time I think about your family and wonder how you are all doing. I hope that Kenneth and Rickey are at peace. Take good care of each other. Patti

• Tony WadeMay 12, 2014 - 3:44 pm

Thank you Patti. Life does go on and while the pain is not necessarily less, it is somewhat different. Still, this time of the year, it is incredibly hard because it all comes back. I hope you and your family are well.

Records detail shooting victim’s court history

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A1, 24 Comments | Gallery

Free Healthier Living workshops begin this week

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Frazier to deliver keynote at Solano EDC event

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: B10

25th annual Rush Ranch Open House on April calendar

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A2

Helen Mirren film set for debut

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B9 | Gallery

Saturday Club schedules Shower of Flowers event

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

WIB to host regional career fair

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: B10 | Gallery

Group plans Haiti missions fundraisers

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6, 2 Comments

Travel presentation ready to roll in Vacaville

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6

Ex-FBI agent sentenced to 10 years in Afghan kickback scheme

BNSF railroad adds new safety rules for crude oil trains

California leaders routinely use private email

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment

Endangered bighorn sheep moved to Yosemite, Sequoia parks

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Church van crashes into canal, killing 8 and injuring 10

Tennessee pastor, son who saved 3 boys among Carnegie Heroes

NSA: Car smashes into police vehicle at Fort Meade; 1 dead

Former Israeli Premier Olmert convicted in corruption case

Prosecutors: Co-pilot treated for suicidal tendencies

Guinea shuts border with Sierra Leone in effort to end Ebola

Saudi-led forces strike Yemen rebels, blockade ports

Iran nuclear talks near deadline; differences remain

Prosecution rests its case against Boston Marathon bomber

Rebuild Gaza to avert next war

By Former President Jimmy Carter | From Page: A13

Reid’s US Senate legacy: Obstruction

By Jennifer Rubin | From Page: A13, 20 Comments

State moves up national school spending chart

By Dan Walters | From Page: A13

Community Calendar: March 31, 2015

Animal Planet lives wild with its new programming slate

Attorney: Robin Williams’ wife wants to keep wedding tuxedo

Eliane Elias enjoys musical homecoming on new CD

5 things to know about new ‘Daily Show’ anchor Trevor Noah

By The Associated Press | From Page: B3, 2 Comments | Gallery

TVGrid March 31

Four No. 1 seeds in the women’s Final Four

UConn reaches 8th straight Final Four with win over Dayton

Grizzlies beat Kings 97-83 to end three-game skid

Cauley-Stein, Kaminsky, Okafor among Wooden Award finalists

Hendricks’ shutout streak ends, Cubs top Giants

Lawrie hits 2 homers as A’s rout Rockies 11-2

Montoya has swagger back, but also shows softer side

A year later than expected, Michigan St back in Final Four

Connecticut governor: move ’16 Final Four unless law changes

Raiders re-sign free agent defensive lineman C.J. Wilson

2 Alabama players arrested in separate weekend cases

Falcons fined, lose draft pick for pumping in fake noise

Racial quotas controversy re-emerges in South African sport

NFL suspends Browns GM for texting, team holds onto picks

Kaminsky, Okafor lead 2014-15 AP All-America team

Ex-NASCAR driver gets jail after 3-state high-speed chase

Nebraska, winner in 14 of last 15, at front of Big Ten surge

McGraw appreciates Notre Dame women’s run more than ever

Gonzaga’s great season ends in Elite Eight but more ahead

StubHub files lawsuit against Ticketmaster

By The Associated Press | From Page: B1, 1 Comment

Judge again rules Joe Paterno can’t sue for contract breach

Free agent linebacker Lance Briggs visiting with 49ers

Fiancee says she discarded box at Aaron Hernandez’s request

US consumer spending edges up 0.1 percent in February

Business forecasters boost 2-year outlook for US economy

Amazon.com offering to help get jobs done around the house

McDonald’s to test all-day breakfast beginning in April

SEC files fraud charges against Lynn Tilton, firms

US university, foundation invested in frozen Chinese stocks

Regulators plan to drop case at closed California nuke plant

Michigan entrepreneur claiming idea for Heinz Dip & Squeeze

Cryptoquote March 31

Sally Forth March 31

Pickles March 31

Rose is Rose March 31

Wizard of Id March 31

Discover Solano Spring/Summer 2015

Ryde Hotel a speakeasy from the past

By Susan Winlow | From Page: DIS11

Walnut Grove shows a bit of historic Japan

By Susan Winlow | From Page: DIS12

Fresh, fruity, summer and fall Delta pitstops

By Susan Winlow | From Page: DIS16

Discover Solano Spring 2015: Benicia

By Daily Republic | From Page: DIS21

Discover Solano Spring 2015: Benicia Fire Museum

By Daily Republic | From Page: DIS22

Discover Solano Spring 2015: Dixon

By Daily Republic | From Page: DIS23

Discover Solano Spring 2015: Jepson Prairie

By Daily Republic | From Page: DIS24

Discover Solano Spring 2015: Fairfield

By Daily Republic | From Page: DIS25

Discover Solano Spring 2015: Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour

By Daily Republic | From Page: DIS26

Discover Solano Spring 2015: Jelly Belly Candy Co.

By Daily Republic | From Page: DIS26