Monday, September 22, 2014

Tough to deal with aftermath of suicide

tony wade column sig

From page A2 | May 12, 2014 |

For a number of years now, my brother Kelvin and I have used the bullhorn of our respective Daily Republic columns in May to talk about our older brother Kenneth James Wade, who committed a murder/suicide on Mother’s Day 1990.

I have done the guilt/blame thing, been very angry at Ken for his actions and been surprised to discover that the crushing grief can sometimes still, so many years later, feel as fresh as when I heard the tragic news.

Taking a timeout from my regular Monday humor column to focus on such a sensitive, heavy topic serves the dual purposes of hopefully helping someone and giving me yet another positive way to deal with how much I miss my brother.

I recently attended a memorial for a man who killed himself and while he was not a close friend, I experienced the intense ripples of pain that his decision left among those who knew and loved him. That’s why this year I want to focus on those left behind after a loved one commits suicide, and how they deal with it.

Six years ago, a friend of mine was rocked to the core when her husband of 12 years committed suicide, leaving her to raise their son and twin girls alone. She agreed to share her experiences and since her children, who are still quite young, do not know how their father died, she will remain anonymous.

Q: What has been the most difficult part?

The most difficult part is seeing my kids grow up and him not being here to enjoy this experience. Not having my life partner here is not what I envisioned for my life. Anniversaries are hard. Birthdays are hard. Going to a park and seeing a family together is a trigger for me. Going to dinner alone with my kids is a trigger. I used to avoid those things, but now I am able to get through them.

Q: In what specific ways have you dealt with it?

I have a big support system. I have family and I try to stay active and live a healthy lifestyle. The girls are now in counseling, which gives them an opportunity to talk with other children who have lost parents. I have a church, I have my faith and I pray and I cry. I am angry sometimes, too. It is a wave of emotions. I have gotten counseling and did a grief share class twice.

Q: What about “closure” and moving on?

Friends want you to go on, but you can’t rush this thing and people sometimes think they are saying the right things and often they are not. I learned in counseling that life goes on. Other people have lives that are not going to stop just because your husband is gone. A lot of people didn’t feel comfortable around me because they felt I would always have a breakdown. A lot of times I felt like I couldn’t talk about memories of my husband, but I talk about him freely now. I have to make people comfortable around me. And I have people I can call when I am having a down day.

Q: Does talking about it help?

Yes. I have people come up to me and tell me they had a brother who did that. Or they had a cousin who did that. Some people want to talk about it, but some don’t. There are a lot of people out there who are in pain who could benefit from a suicide support group.

Initially, I spent a lot of energy lying about how my husband died. When people ask now, I tell them my husband committed suicide – and then you get all the questions. Working with a counselor, I now know it wasn’t about me. It’s not a reflection on me. I don’t know why this happened to me or my kids or his family, but it has and I have to move on. I can’t let it define who I am.

You can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255  or visit www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at toekneeweighed@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Rita GoldenMay 12, 2014 - 1:29 am

This is a great read Tony. My brother committed suicide in 1979 at the age of 19 years. I miss him dearly. I still remember what his feet and hands looked like, the way he walked and would bite his bottom lip and I can still hear his voice if I sit quietly and think about him. I guess you and I do have something in common Tony and I will tell you this from my heart that I am sorry for your pain and loss.

• Tony WadeMay 12, 2014 - 7:10 am

Thank you, Rita. The older I get, the more I see what a senseless act it was. "This Too Shall Pass"--good or bad--is how I live my life now. I am truly sorry for your loss as well.

• boomMay 12, 2014 - 8:51 am

5/7/12 -I miss my bro so much. Still so confused. Its surrealistic to me to know that when he walked out that door, I would never see him alive again.

• devinMay 12, 2014 - 9:00 am

Good job tony....this subject touches all. My friends left us during fhs 96 school year....that was real hard for us. We called it black fridays because every friday we found out someone committed suicide. ..tragic losses

• Tony WadeMay 12, 2014 - 3:41 pm

I remember that. It was so awful. There was a young woman from my church who attended FHS then.

• Patti HadravaMay 12, 2014 - 3:22 pm

Tony, our son Rickey also died from suicide in 1990 just a few days before Mother's Day. I met your mom & brother Kelvin shortly afterwards. We did our best for each other trying to make sense of our losses, the stigma of suicide and how to go on with our lives. Every year around this time I think about your family and wonder how you are all doing. I hope that Kenneth and Rickey are at peace. Take good care of each other. Patti

• Tony WadeMay 12, 2014 - 3:44 pm

Thank you Patti. Life does go on and while the pain is not necessarily less, it is somewhat different. Still, this time of the year, it is incredibly hard because it all comes back. I hope you and your family are well.

Vaca Christian hits FM airwaves

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1, 6 Comments | Gallery

CHP offers teen drivers class

Golf tourney to help uninsured children

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3, 2 Comments

Dixon Scottish Games return to Solano

Hazmat crew responds to Fairfield after spill Sunday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

SBDC schedules free workshop for small businesses

Cordelia Rotary to host Senior Center fall dinner

Master Gardeners schedule annual plant exchange

Il Fiorello Olive Oil Co. hold butchery class

American music makes a sweet sound Sunday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4

Local governments schedule meetings

North Bay Pediatrics celebrates anniversary

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B8

Sutter Solano has new leader

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B8

Popeye’s seeks Fairfield site

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B8, 7 Comments | Gallery

32 structures destroyed in California wildfire

Some California wells run dry amid drought

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 2 Comments

More drought forecast next year across West

Feds censure local police, yet give lethal weapons

Melted glacier sends miles of mud down Mt. Shasta

Crews cleaning fuel spill in San Francisco Bay

Police say rifle carried by ambush suspect found

Gov. Brown signs clean-air vehicle legislation

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 4 Comments

Sierra Leone concludes nationwide Ebola lockdown

2016 may loom, but Jeb Bush is focused on business

China, US, India push world carbon emissions up

New Afghan president, but vote totals kept secret

Del. authorities: Bus overturns, at least 1 dead

NASA’s Maven explorer arrives at Mars after year

North Korea powerful temptation for some Americans

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Craig Ferguson plays it loose with new game show

‘Maze Runner’ races past ‘Tombstones’ with $32.5M

Idealists made mess of 20th century

By Jack Batson | From Page: A8, 5 Comments

Thanks go out to Telstar Instruments

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Pulse poll: Will the drought end this year?

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Community Calendar: Sept. 22, 2014

Today in History: Sept. 22, 2014

Ned’s drinking is ruining our parents’ business, health

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B5

Horoscopes: Sept. 22, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B5

Horoscopes: Sept. 23, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B7

TVGrid Sept 22

TVGrid Sept 23

Stanton leads Cardinals past 49ers 23-14

Donaldson’s walk-off HR powers A’s past Phillies

Penalty nixes Raiders rally, Patriots win 16-9

Giants swept by Padres; fall 4 ½ behind Dodgers

Armijo boys run to 2nd-place finish in Irvine

Hamilton wins in Singapore, takes F1 title lead

Ex-Titans kicker Bironas killed in car crash

Seahawks hold off Broncos 26-20 in overtime

NFL roundup: Cowboys erase 21-point deficit, beat Rams 34-31

Hur pulls away for LPGA Tour win in Alabama

Logano wins at New Hampshire in 2nd Chase race

5 ways to protect yourself from data breaches

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8, 1 Comment

Native Americans getting final settlement payments

For Better or Worse Sept 22