Welcome to the (Solano County) jungle! For the 12th consecutive year, we (and by we, I mean me) are hosting the Solano County Knowledge Test – an annual event to measure how much you know about the county in which you live.
It’s simple. Answer the following 20 questions on a separate piece of paper or in another window on your computer. Check your answers against the key and see how well you measure up.
Good luck. And please, no cheating nor gambling. This is strictly for fun. And away we go . . .
1. List the seven cities of Solano County from smallest to largest in population.
2. Within five miles, how long is it from the westernmost to the easternmost part of Solano County on Interstate 80?
3. Who is the Solano County administrator?
4. What agricultural crop brought in the most money to Solano County in 2012?
5. After Interstate 505 in Vacaville, name the next six exits off westbound Interstate 80.
6. What five counties touch Solano County?
7. Who of the following is not part of the Wade family of Fairfield that includes two Daily Republic columnists?
A. Kelvin Wade
B. Orvis Wade
C. Groucho Wade
D. Tony Wade
8. What are the two public airports in Solano County?
9. In what year was the last presidential election in which Solano County voted for the Republican candidate?
10. What is the largest private employer in the county?
11. Who’s the cat who won’t cop out when there’s danger all about?
12. Within 3 degrees, what’s the lowest temperature ever recorded at Travis Air Force Base?
13. What month is the warmest, on average, in Fairfield-Suisun City?
14. Within five minutes, what’s the average commute time to work for a Solano County resident?
15. Who is the superintendent of the Fairfield-Suisun School District?
16. According to their websites, are there more people enrolled at Solano Community College or housed at the two prisons in Vacaville?
17. What two Solano County cities served as the capital of California?
18. In what year was Travis Air Force Base established as the Fairfield-Suisun Army Air Base?
19. Within 10 spots, where does Fairfield rank among California’s 100 largest cities by population?
20. What’s the official name of Interstate 80 in Solano County, based on a 1973 congressional act?
1. Rio Vista, Dixon, Benicia, Suisun City, Vacaville, Fairfield, Vallejo.
2. 45 miles, although you actually go into Napa County briefly upon leaving Vallejo.
3. Birgitta E. Corsello.
4. Walnuts, at $36.6 million. It was the first time walnuts was the top crop.
5. Monte Vista/Allison, Mason Street, Davis Street, Merchant/Alamo, Cherry Glen Road, Pena Adobe Road.
6. Contra Costa, Sonoma, Napa, Sacramento, Yolo.
7. Groucho. The reason he wears the glasses and fake nose are obvious. He’s ashamed to be a Wade.
8. Nut Tree and Rio Vista Municipal.
9. 1984, Ronald Reagan.
10. Kaiser Permanente.
11. Shaft. Can you dig it?
12. 17 degrees on Jan. 13, 2007.
14. 29.5 minutes.
15. Kris Corey.
16. Solano Community College has about 11,000 students; the two prisons combine for about 6,200 inmates.
17. Vallejo and Benicia.
20. The Dwight D. Eisenhower Highway, which is the name from Cheyenne, Wyo., to San Francisco.
17 to 20: Congratulations! You are as successful as Starbucks (28 Solano locations)!
11 to 16: You’re the Jelly Belly of Solano County knowledge. Sweet!
7-10: Good news: You’re a Solano County institution. Bad news: You’re the California Medical Facility.
6 or less: You are to this test what rainfall is to July in Solano: Nothing!
Reach Brad Stanhope at 427-6958 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bradstanhope.