Last week’s column was my 75th ”Back in the Day.” I think it’s time for a quiz so I can determine who my faithful readers are (who are not related to me).
Here’s the quiz. Answers and scoring follow.
1. The Fairfield Area Rapid Transit (FART) bus’ motto was:
A. “Bring Beano!”
B. “Gas Pains? FART your way to San Francisco.”
C. “Pull my finger.”
D. “Silent, but deadly!”
2 . California Vehicle Code Section 21100(k):
A. outlawed cruising in Fairfield.
B. outlawed fuzzy dice and tassels hanging from rearview mirrors.
C. required drivers of post-1975 vehicles to install cassette adapters for their 8-track players.
D. made singing incorrect song lyrics while driving a felony.
3. According to “Mixed Emotions at Skateland Roller Rink” (8/11/2011), what was the only thing I loved about the old Fairfield rink?
A. That Grange Intermediate bused us there for PE.
B. Seeing workers snicker under their breath when I requested size 13 skates.
C. Constantly bumping into people and/or falling clumsily.
D. Couples skate.
4. How did I get into trouble after “The Best Burger Joints Anyone Can Remember” (9/1/2011) ran?
A. Dave’s Giant Hamburgers enthusiasts felt I was not effusive enough in my praise for the longtime eatery.
B. Beamers enthusiasts were angered because one local said they would feed the cheap burgers to their Labrador.
C. I failed to mention that Sno-Man was originally called Sno-White.
D. I got a visit from Homeland Security agents for quoting former Sid’s Drive-In carhop Nanciann Gregg revealing their secret sauce as mayonnaise and ketchup mixed together.
5. According to “Celebrities In Solano – From Fats to Farrah and Beyond” (1/6/2012), which of the following celebrities did not make a guest appearance at a local March of Dimes walk-a-thon?
A. Donny and Marie
B. Robin Williams
C. Andy Gibb
D. Flip Wilson/Geraldine
6. In “Cold Realities during the Cold War” (2/13/2012), what technique for trying to save oneself from a nuclear attack was ridiculed by locals?
A. “Kiss Your Butt Goodbye”
B. “Duck and Cover”
C. “Duck, Duck, Goose and Cover”
D. “Beam Me Up, Scotty”
7. According to a column from February 2012, I speculated that Japanese investors’ approval of the acronym for the failed Vacaville maze The Wooz – “Wild Original Object Zoom” – was due to:
A. a clerical error.
B. English skills that by comparison make the Incredible Hulk sound articulate.
C. not enough creativity at the brainstorming session.
D. too much sake at the brainstorming session.
8. Which groups were not Solano-based musicians mentioned in “Bygone Bands Went from Garages to Stages to Memories” (3/16/2012)?
A. Emmet Otter, The Mystics
B. Bread, The Cowsills
C. Cottonmouth, Runnin’ Strut
D. Laser Boy, CP Krunt
9. When was the old Armijo auditorium demolished?
A. Saturday, Oct. 12, 1985
10. According to a column published in May 2013, why was Judy Emerson Gosselin in jail as a child?
A. For stealing fried chicken from SmorgaBob’s.
B. For not being effusive enough in her praise of Dave’s Giant Hamburgers.
C. Because it got the best reception for her transistor radio.
D. Because her father was the sheriff and her whole family lived there – upstairs.
11. Who has been quoted the most in my columns?
A. Tamara Beck Watson
B. Linda Ueki Absher
C. Carl Lamera
D. Someone else
12. Which of the following is not true?
A. John F. Kennedy stopped in Suisun City on a whistle-stop train tour campaign in 1960.
B. Lord Robespierre Waterman rescued Maiden Cordelia from the medieval tower downtown by catapulting over it, grabbing her and landing on his steed, Eye Eighty.
C. A girl, Vicky Valetine Proud, played JV and varsity football at Armijo High.
D. Former Suisun City Mayor Guido Colla once had a baseball feat mentioned in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.
Answers: 1. B 2. A 3. D 4. Whatever you chose is fine, this one is a freebie – don’t say I never gave you anything 5. D 6. B 7. D 8. B 9. A 10. D 11. D-duh, me 12. B
Faithful reader score:
10-12 correct: Yay! But please don’t make a shrine of me using a vintage Fat Albert (in) action figure for a voodoo doll.
7-9 correct: I skim columns sometimes, also.
6-4 correct: My columns are the BEST for wrapping fish.
0-3 correct: No. Sigh. I am not Kelvin.
Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at firstname.lastname@example.org.