Saturday, August 30, 2014

Beatles rocked Sullivan show 50 years ago

Beatles2-by-acolddayinhadesdotcom-560x467

From page A2 | February 07, 2014 |

Fifty years ago Sunday, the Beatles set a record for American TV viewership when an estimated 73 million people (about 86 percent of U.S. households) watched them perform live for the first time on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”

The Beatles appeared three consecutive Sundays on the popular variety show, but the first was the most memorable.

The pandemonium, or Beatlemania as it came to be known, that was broadcast to the world Feb. 9, 1964, was evidenced two days earlier when the Liverpool quartet landed at John F. Kennedy Airport to thousands of rabid fans.

Their first set, hard to hear over all the screaming teenage girls, featured “All My Loving,” their cover of “Till There Was You” from “The Music Man” and “She Loves You.” The second set included “I Saw Her Standing There” and closed with the then-No. 1 U.S. single, “I Want to Hold Your Hand.”

CBS’s Studio 50 only seated 728 people, but there were about 50,000 requests for tickets. Celebrities such as Walter Cronkite and Richard Nixon managed to acquire tickets for their teenage daughters. The quest to see the show live was dramatized in director Robert Zemeckis’s first film, 1978’s “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”

The big winners that night were obviously the Beatles, as their first appearance became a cultural touchstone, but also Ed Sullivan and CBS. Then of course there was Anacin, Pillsbury, Aero Shave and Griffin Liquid Wax – the advertisers that got millions of American eyeballs on their products.

Locally, the Daily Republic’s TV listing for that night showed the Ed Sullivan show at 8 p.m., but made no mention of the Beatles. A day later, an editorial titled, “Are Those Wavy Haired Blokes Really Pulling Our Legs?” suggested the Beatles were actually parodying rock ‘n’ roll.

It turns out they were reinventing it.

Local residents recall that historic evening:

Beverly Mealer: I remember going to my friend Vonna’s house and her sister Vicky sitting on her knees on the floor in front of the TV, sobbing hysterically.

Tamara Beck Watson: I am one of those who sat in the living room in front of the old black-and-white TV set to take it in. Of course, the whole family had to see what the commotion was all about, too. What my family didn’t know was that I had already had a preview by catching a radio broadcast that was recast here in the states from England a week or two prior to the Sullivan show. When I heard them on the radio, I knew right away that something new, exciting, and life-changing was coming to America. After that I could hardly wait for “The Ed Sullivan Show” to air.

Leslie Winslow: I remember watching and my parents were watching, too. I had to try so hard to keep my emotions in because I knew they would think I was crazy.

Sue Forrester: I remember sitting in my living room watching Ed Sullivan introduce them. We had an old black-and-white tabletop, rabbit-eared TV and they weren’t HDTV clear by any means, but the sound was unforgettable.

Max Bryant: I had my first girl/boy party with the Beatles playing in the background.

Paula Lindsey: We watched that show, too. Since I am a lover of country music, I sat back on the couch while my sisters knelt in front of the TV doing strange things.

Donna Cannaday: I was a freshman at a sock hop and having fun, then the DJ played “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” We had never heard anything like that. We were so enthralled that the DJ played it over and over to frenzied dancers in white socks. I got so hot that I had to go outside to cool off. I was so buzzed by this new level of musical arousal. I needed that high feeling to continue so badly that I smoked my first cigarette, a Newport that I bummed from a guy. I passed out cold.

David Braker: I saw them on a fuzzy black-and-white TV when I was living with my grandparents. I just remember how disgusted Grandpa was by their long hair.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at tonybethkaci@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Zen out to.....Beatles Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:53 pm

• I meant this......The Bug Men - Beatles, You Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:56 pm

• The Four Preps - Letter To The BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:59 pm

• The Four Preps - More Money For You And Me (1961)February 07, 2014 - 4:05 pm

• The Beatles - Ed Sullivan Show (1965) (All 3 shows)February 07, 2014 - 4:28 pm

• barrett strong ... money [ thats what i want ]February 07, 2014 - 4:43 pm

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_hiy4bRLsFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:10 pm

Important to "retain my Identity in my own sweet way" ...Beatles drummer Pete Best on David Letterman (Part 2).

• U R A Cool Cat Tony.....Three Cool Cats - The Silver BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:15 pm

• Which Are Smarter: Cats or Dogs? - The Tonight Show with JayFebruary 07, 2014 - 7:30 pm

• Copy Cats - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ( Guest appearance by Mr. Brad/Stanhop )February 07, 2014 - 7:38 pm

• G-ManFebruary 08, 2014 - 1:03 am

Who's smarter Cats or Dogs..most would say Cats..but GOOGLE. Beagle on hidden camera stealing food from microwave(Toaster Oven)..that should decide the debate.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbFE_3Lqb0February 07, 2014 - 4:25 pm

T-Dub likes Historical pieces.... so info on the V-Dub.....From Hitler to Hippies: Evolution of THE BEETLE

• LMH2014February 07, 2014 - 9:15 pm

Great article! I was 12 at the height of teen-hood! I love how my dad said how long their hair was and that they were up to no good. He did change his tune!! Also, my mom, in Heaven for 30 years now, told me that Candlestick Park was halfway to LA and no I could not attend their final concert there! PS: She did not drive on any freeways and we lived in Berkeley. But, she was my mom and I believed her! Go figure! One more story re Beatles: about 4 years ago, hubby and me were watching Paul in Concert @ Red Square on PBS. Told hubby that I would put that on the bucket list. Went online that evening and lo and behold, Paul performing at Arco Arena that next Wednesday ... got the tickets and crossed off list! THE BEST $___.00 EVER SPENT BAR NONE!

• CD BrooksFebruary 08, 2014 - 7:03 am

LMH2014, I don't recall my parents ever speaking about the Beatles in any fashion. My mother was a singer and loved all music so I guess she just went with it! I decided this year that I'm going back to the long hair look we'll see how it works out. I agree 1000%, McCartney was one of the best shows ever!

Clarksburg family rolls with times

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Fresh, fruity, summer and fall Delta pitstops

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1

Saving the Gakuen: A bit of history tucked away in Clarksburg

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Old, new collide in Freeport

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1

Vacaville honors top crossing guards

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

State lifts Solano moth quarantine

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

Gallo subsidiary wins bid for Winterhawk Winery

By Barry Eberling | From Page: B10 | Gallery

Green Valley teachers get wet for a good cause

By Susan Winlow | From Page: B12

The Leaven helps reach at-risk kids

By Murray Bass | From Page: B12

No plea as suspect in Suisun slaying appears in court

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A12 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Aug. 28, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 28, 2014

Weather for Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014

Man is guilty of murder after his dogs kill woman

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 3 Comments

California teacher reprimanded for sending tweets

N. California officer accused of beating woman

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

California appeals teacher tenure ruling

Lawmakers pass first California groundwater rules

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

Lawmakers send gun restraining order bill to Brown

California marijuana grow stole reservation water

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

Feds critical of California twin tunnel project

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

California mentally ill inmates get special units

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

1K-pound alligator caught in Alabama sets record

Manatees may lose endangered species status

Marathon bombing suspect: Delay trial until 2015

Border Patrol agent fires at armed militia member

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Westerners linked to extremist groups in Syria

Rescuers locate 20 of 24 trapped in Nicaragua mine

At heart of Syria fears, extremists returning home

Experimental Ebola drug heals all monkeys in study

Cheers, jeers for the week of Aug. 24-30, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A11

Editorial Cartoons: Aug. 30, 2014

Changing election dates: Dems seek more domination

By Thomas Elias | From Page: A11

Zombies are not for fun

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 3 Comments

Today in History: Aug. 30, 2014

Community Calendar: Aug. 30, 2014

Our irresponsible sister is getting the house and mistreats Mom

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B7

Horoscopes: Aug. 30, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B7

Ex-Myanmar beauty queen accused of stealing crown

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Cee Lo Green enters no contest plea in drug case

Chris Brown due back in DC court for plea hearing

Fire destroys house on late author Clancy’s estate

Chelsea Clinton quits as NBC News reporter

Daughter: Joan Rivers is in ‘serious condition

Hip-hop moves as strong force for Michael Brown

No. 11 Stanford set to open season vs. UC Davis

After eventful offseason, Northwestern meets Cal Bears in opener

49ers linebacker Aldon Smith suspended by NFL

JC women’s soccer: Solano kicks off season with 0-0 draw

Raiders face decisions at QB heading into opener

Prep volleyball: Vacaville Christian falls to D-I power Davis

Palmer opens with a 63 to lead in Boston

Pernice, Bryant share Champions Tour lead

I.K. Kim increases Portland Classic lead

A’s fall back in AL West, blanked by Angels

Posey goes 5 for 5 in 6 innings, Giants rout Brewers

Errani’s ‘cottage cheese’ serve tops Venus at Open

This date in sports history for Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014

Tony Stewart back at the track, looking to heal

Jerry Lee Trammell