Sunday, December 21, 2014

Beatles rocked Sullivan show 50 years ago

Beatles2-by-acolddayinhadesdotcom-560x467

From page A2 | February 07, 2014 |

Fifty years ago Sunday, the Beatles set a record for American TV viewership when an estimated 73 million people (about 86 percent of U.S. households) watched them perform live for the first time on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”

The Beatles appeared three consecutive Sundays on the popular variety show, but the first was the most memorable.

The pandemonium, or Beatlemania as it came to be known, that was broadcast to the world Feb. 9, 1964, was evidenced two days earlier when the Liverpool quartet landed at John F. Kennedy Airport to thousands of rabid fans.

Their first set, hard to hear over all the screaming teenage girls, featured “All My Loving,” their cover of “Till There Was You” from “The Music Man” and “She Loves You.” The second set included “I Saw Her Standing There” and closed with the then-No. 1 U.S. single, “I Want to Hold Your Hand.”

CBS’s Studio 50 only seated 728 people, but there were about 50,000 requests for tickets. Celebrities such as Walter Cronkite and Richard Nixon managed to acquire tickets for their teenage daughters. The quest to see the show live was dramatized in director Robert Zemeckis’s first film, 1978’s “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”

The big winners that night were obviously the Beatles, as their first appearance became a cultural touchstone, but also Ed Sullivan and CBS. Then of course there was Anacin, Pillsbury, Aero Shave and Griffin Liquid Wax – the advertisers that got millions of American eyeballs on their products.

Locally, the Daily Republic’s TV listing for that night showed the Ed Sullivan show at 8 p.m., but made no mention of the Beatles. A day later, an editorial titled, “Are Those Wavy Haired Blokes Really Pulling Our Legs?” suggested the Beatles were actually parodying rock ‘n’ roll.

It turns out they were reinventing it.

Local residents recall that historic evening:

Beverly Mealer: I remember going to my friend Vonna’s house and her sister Vicky sitting on her knees on the floor in front of the TV, sobbing hysterically.

Tamara Beck Watson: I am one of those who sat in the living room in front of the old black-and-white TV set to take it in. Of course, the whole family had to see what the commotion was all about, too. What my family didn’t know was that I had already had a preview by catching a radio broadcast that was recast here in the states from England a week or two prior to the Sullivan show. When I heard them on the radio, I knew right away that something new, exciting, and life-changing was coming to America. After that I could hardly wait for “The Ed Sullivan Show” to air.

Leslie Winslow: I remember watching and my parents were watching, too. I had to try so hard to keep my emotions in because I knew they would think I was crazy.

Sue Forrester: I remember sitting in my living room watching Ed Sullivan introduce them. We had an old black-and-white tabletop, rabbit-eared TV and they weren’t HDTV clear by any means, but the sound was unforgettable.

Max Bryant: I had my first girl/boy party with the Beatles playing in the background.

Paula Lindsey: We watched that show, too. Since I am a lover of country music, I sat back on the couch while my sisters knelt in front of the TV doing strange things.

Donna Cannaday: I was a freshman at a sock hop and having fun, then the DJ played “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” We had never heard anything like that. We were so enthralled that the DJ played it over and over to frenzied dancers in white socks. I got so hot that I had to go outside to cool off. I was so buzzed by this new level of musical arousal. I needed that high feeling to continue so badly that I smoked my first cigarette, a Newport that I bummed from a guy. I passed out cold.

David Braker: I saw them on a fuzzy black-and-white TV when I was living with my grandparents. I just remember how disgusted Grandpa was by their long hair.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at tonybethkaci@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Zen out to.....Beatles Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:53 pm

• I meant this......The Bug Men - Beatles, You Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:56 pm

• The Four Preps - Letter To The BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:59 pm

• The Four Preps - More Money For You And Me (1961)February 07, 2014 - 4:05 pm

• The Beatles - Ed Sullivan Show (1965) (All 3 shows)February 07, 2014 - 4:28 pm

• barrett strong ... money [ thats what i want ]February 07, 2014 - 4:43 pm

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_hiy4bRLsFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:10 pm

Important to "retain my Identity in my own sweet way" ...Beatles drummer Pete Best on David Letterman (Part 2).

• U R A Cool Cat Tony.....Three Cool Cats - The Silver BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:15 pm

• Which Are Smarter: Cats or Dogs? - The Tonight Show with JayFebruary 07, 2014 - 7:30 pm

• Copy Cats - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ( Guest appearance by Mr. Brad/Stanhop )February 07, 2014 - 7:38 pm

• G-ManFebruary 08, 2014 - 1:03 am

Who's smarter Cats or Dogs..most would say Cats..but GOOGLE. Beagle on hidden camera stealing food from microwave(Toaster Oven)..that should decide the debate.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbFE_3Lqb0February 07, 2014 - 4:25 pm

T-Dub likes Historical pieces.... so info on the V-Dub.....From Hitler to Hippies: Evolution of THE BEETLE

• LMH2014February 07, 2014 - 9:15 pm

Great article! I was 12 at the height of teen-hood! I love how my dad said how long their hair was and that they were up to no good. He did change his tune!! Also, my mom, in Heaven for 30 years now, told me that Candlestick Park was halfway to LA and no I could not attend their final concert there! PS: She did not drive on any freeways and we lived in Berkeley. But, she was my mom and I believed her! Go figure! One more story re Beatles: about 4 years ago, hubby and me were watching Paul in Concert @ Red Square on PBS. Told hubby that I would put that on the bucket list. Went online that evening and lo and behold, Paul performing at Arco Arena that next Wednesday ... got the tickets and crossed off list! THE BEST $___.00 EVER SPENT BAR NONE!

• CD BrooksFebruary 08, 2014 - 7:03 am

LMH2014, I don't recall my parents ever speaking about the Beatles in any fashion. My mother was a singer and loved all music so I guess she just went with it! I decided this year that I'm going back to the long hair look we'll see how it works out. I agree 1000%, McCartney was one of the best shows ever!

Shining bright for all to see: Locals deck out yards, homes

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1, 1 Comment | Gallery

The Salvation Army serves 1,000-plus across 2 days

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1, 7 Comments | Gallery

Blue Christmas service offers reflection, hope

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1

Time for annual Solano County quiz

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Bevy of holiday activities at Western Railway Museum

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3 | Gallery

State Fair scholarship applications available

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Get tested, know your status

By Morgan Westfall | From Page: C4

New development fees start Jan. 1 in Vacaville

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

Free New Year’s celebration slated

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

A word of warning for Senator Warren

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7, 11 Comments

New technology chief will join McNaughton Newspapers

By Tanya Perez | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Dec. 19, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 19, 2014

Sky-high price has VA rationing hep C drug

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

Air Force admits nuke flaws, but will fixes work?

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Design of Golden Gate Bridge suicide barrier OK’d

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Officials: Missing dog was dyed to deceive

Immigrants build document trails to remain in US

California officer kills teen after machete attack

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

4 teens die in fiery head-on crash in Pennsylvania

2 dozen injured in southern Indiana bus crash

Texas ranchers seeking alternative incomes

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

North Korea proposes joint probe over Sony hacking

2 car bombs rock southern Sweden’s city of Malmo

Bombings kill 12 in Iraq

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

US sends 4 Afghans back home from Guantanamo

Panama’s Noriega in prison 25 years post-invasion

Burying the dead after Pakistan’s school massacre

A chance to breach divide for young in Cuba and US

Editorial Cartoon: Dec. 21, 2014

By Daily Republic Syndicated Content | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Season’s greetings from the Obamas

By Alexandra Petri | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

New school finance strategy lacks accountability

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Sound off for Dec. 21, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Community Calendar: Dec. 21, 2014

Today in History: Dec. 21, 2014

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2, 4 Comments

Why celebrate Christmas?

By Noel Reese | From Page: C3, 3 Comments

Vatican offers olive branch to US nuns

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3, 1 Comment

Horoscopes: Dec. 21, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Should I ask grandson why we weren’t included in wedding photos?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Review: ‘Five’ by Ursula Archer is intriguing

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Publisher hopes to sell books through Twitter

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Chris Colfer has multi-book deal

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Jerry Lee Lewis: Sustained by brief blaze of glory

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

New Giants 3B McGehee eager to play back home

Interim coaching jobs present challenges in bowls

49ers squander 21-point lead in 4th straight loss

Eagles near elimination, fall 27-24 to Redskins

Raiders place cornerback Brown on injured reserve

No. 11 Lady Vols trounce No. 7 Stanford 59-40

Big moves bring big hope for Chicago baseball

US skier Nyman wins Gardena downhill for 3rd time

Vonn wins women’s World Cup downhill in France

This date in sports history for Sunday, Dec. 21, 2014

Your info has been hacked. Now what do you do?

On the money: 4 ways to hold on to your cash when renting a car

Recalls this week: Bean bag chairs, toy monkeys

Scarecrows outnumber people in dying Japan town

Barbara Jean Bidstrup Braker