Friday, November 28, 2014

Beatles rocked Sullivan show 50 years ago

Beatles2-by-acolddayinhadesdotcom-560x467

From page A2 | February 07, 2014 |

Fifty years ago Sunday, the Beatles set a record for American TV viewership when an estimated 73 million people (about 86 percent of U.S. households) watched them perform live for the first time on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”

The Beatles appeared three consecutive Sundays on the popular variety show, but the first was the most memorable.

The pandemonium, or Beatlemania as it came to be known, that was broadcast to the world Feb. 9, 1964, was evidenced two days earlier when the Liverpool quartet landed at John F. Kennedy Airport to thousands of rabid fans.

Their first set, hard to hear over all the screaming teenage girls, featured “All My Loving,” their cover of “Till There Was You” from “The Music Man” and “She Loves You.” The second set included “I Saw Her Standing There” and closed with the then-No. 1 U.S. single, “I Want to Hold Your Hand.”

CBS’s Studio 50 only seated 728 people, but there were about 50,000 requests for tickets. Celebrities such as Walter Cronkite and Richard Nixon managed to acquire tickets for their teenage daughters. The quest to see the show live was dramatized in director Robert Zemeckis’s first film, 1978’s “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”

The big winners that night were obviously the Beatles, as their first appearance became a cultural touchstone, but also Ed Sullivan and CBS. Then of course there was Anacin, Pillsbury, Aero Shave and Griffin Liquid Wax – the advertisers that got millions of American eyeballs on their products.

Locally, the Daily Republic’s TV listing for that night showed the Ed Sullivan show at 8 p.m., but made no mention of the Beatles. A day later, an editorial titled, “Are Those Wavy Haired Blokes Really Pulling Our Legs?” suggested the Beatles were actually parodying rock ‘n’ roll.

It turns out they were reinventing it.

Local residents recall that historic evening:

Beverly Mealer: I remember going to my friend Vonna’s house and her sister Vicky sitting on her knees on the floor in front of the TV, sobbing hysterically.

Tamara Beck Watson: I am one of those who sat in the living room in front of the old black-and-white TV set to take it in. Of course, the whole family had to see what the commotion was all about, too. What my family didn’t know was that I had already had a preview by catching a radio broadcast that was recast here in the states from England a week or two prior to the Sullivan show. When I heard them on the radio, I knew right away that something new, exciting, and life-changing was coming to America. After that I could hardly wait for “The Ed Sullivan Show” to air.

Leslie Winslow: I remember watching and my parents were watching, too. I had to try so hard to keep my emotions in because I knew they would think I was crazy.

Sue Forrester: I remember sitting in my living room watching Ed Sullivan introduce them. We had an old black-and-white tabletop, rabbit-eared TV and they weren’t HDTV clear by any means, but the sound was unforgettable.

Max Bryant: I had my first girl/boy party with the Beatles playing in the background.

Paula Lindsey: We watched that show, too. Since I am a lover of country music, I sat back on the couch while my sisters knelt in front of the TV doing strange things.

Donna Cannaday: I was a freshman at a sock hop and having fun, then the DJ played “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” We had never heard anything like that. We were so enthralled that the DJ played it over and over to frenzied dancers in white socks. I got so hot that I had to go outside to cool off. I was so buzzed by this new level of musical arousal. I needed that high feeling to continue so badly that I smoked my first cigarette, a Newport that I bummed from a guy. I passed out cold.

David Braker: I saw them on a fuzzy black-and-white TV when I was living with my grandparents. I just remember how disgusted Grandpa was by their long hair.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at tonybethkaci@gmail.com.

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Zen out to.....Beatles Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:53 pm

• I meant this......The Bug Men - Beatles, You Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:56 pm

• The Four Preps - Letter To The BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:59 pm

• The Four Preps - More Money For You And Me (1961)February 07, 2014 - 4:05 pm

• The Beatles - Ed Sullivan Show (1965) (All 3 shows)February 07, 2014 - 4:28 pm

• barrett strong ... money [ thats what i want ]February 07, 2014 - 4:43 pm

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_hiy4bRLsFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:10 pm

Important to "retain my Identity in my own sweet way" ...Beatles drummer Pete Best on David Letterman (Part 2).

• U R A Cool Cat Tony.....Three Cool Cats - The Silver BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:15 pm

• Which Are Smarter: Cats or Dogs? - The Tonight Show with JayFebruary 07, 2014 - 7:30 pm

• Copy Cats - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ( Guest appearance by Mr. Brad/Stanhop )February 07, 2014 - 7:38 pm

• G-ManFebruary 08, 2014 - 1:03 am

Who's smarter Cats or Dogs..most would say Cats..but GOOGLE. Beagle on hidden camera stealing food from microwave(Toaster Oven)..that should decide the debate.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbFE_3Lqb0February 07, 2014 - 4:25 pm

T-Dub likes Historical pieces.... so info on the V-Dub.....From Hitler to Hippies: Evolution of THE BEETLE

• LMH2014February 07, 2014 - 9:15 pm

Great article! I was 12 at the height of teen-hood! I love how my dad said how long their hair was and that they were up to no good. He did change his tune!! Also, my mom, in Heaven for 30 years now, told me that Candlestick Park was halfway to LA and no I could not attend their final concert there! PS: She did not drive on any freeways and we lived in Berkeley. But, she was my mom and I believed her! Go figure! One more story re Beatles: about 4 years ago, hubby and me were watching Paul in Concert @ Red Square on PBS. Told hubby that I would put that on the bucket list. Went online that evening and lo and behold, Paul performing at Arco Arena that next Wednesday ... got the tickets and crossed off list! THE BEST $___.00 EVER SPENT BAR NONE!

• CD BrooksFebruary 08, 2014 - 7:03 am

LMH2014, I don't recall my parents ever speaking about the Beatles in any fashion. My mother was a singer and loved all music so I guess she just went with it! I decided this year that I'm going back to the long hair look we'll see how it works out. I agree 1000%, McCartney was one of the best shows ever!

Solano Turkey Trot draws 2,600 to college

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Il Fiorello schedules olive milling day

Early Black Friday shoppers take advantage of deals

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Eagle Scout project adds floating docks at Rockville Park

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A4 | Gallery

‘Guardian angel,’ community join to give man home

US celebrates Thanksgiving with parades, turkey

By The Associated Press | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Tons of marijuana seized in Central California

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 4 Comments

Gorilla death prompts San Francisco Zoo changes

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Health agents still unpaid after plan’s rollout

California Burger King employee finds $100,000

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

At 1 month, US Ebola monitors finding no cases

Families asked to host visitors for pope’s US trip

Researchers discover ‘pre-cancers’ in blood

35 arrested in Oakland after protest march

A glance at Ferguson: Then, now and the future

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

For some, location of Brown’s hands irrelevant

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Ferguson gives thanks after a quiet night

Colorado mastodon bones show ancient warmer Earth

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

Queen of crime writing PD James dies aged 94

Ebola aid dogged by coordination lags in Guinea

Taliban attack rocks upscale Kabul district

Small quake rattles California wine country

Today in History: Nov. 28, 2014

Community Calendar: Nov. 28, 2014

Movies just another course on Thanksgiving

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Poor health is no excuse for not behaving like a caring person

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscope for Nov. 28, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Week in preview: Nov. 28 to Dec. 4, 2014

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Prison theater transforms Colombian inmates

Singer John Mayer among ‘Late Late Show’ subs

Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2′ doesn’t work

By Jake Coyle | From Page: B2

Review: ‘Madagascar’ spin-off hatches family fun

Reading Harry Potter gives clues to brain activity

Talking songs with She & Him

By Kim Durbin | From Page: B3

Entertainment calendar Nov. 28, 2014

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B4

Cosby testimony describes accuser’s spiked story

College notebook: Many happy returns for Arizona’s Bondurant

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Sherman’s big night leads Seattle past 49ers again

By The Associated Press | From Page: B7, 1 Comment | Gallery

Rookie quarterback Carr is Raiders’ silver lining

US cities urged to keep price tags down for 2024

Eagles roll over Cowboys 33-10 for NFC East lead

5 investigated in FIFA WCup bid corruption probe

Johnson shines in Detroit’s 34-17 win over Chicago

Signups for Friday, Nov. 28, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B10

No. 9 UCLA must overcome Stanford for Pac-12 title

Kia’s ‘Soulful’ first electric car

By Ann M. Job | From Page: C1

Automakers aim to drive away car computer hackers

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

3 Reasons holiday shoppers will spend cautiously

OPEC keeps oil output on hold despite low prices

Deanna L. Haines