Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beatles rocked Sullivan show 50 years ago

Beatles2-by-acolddayinhadesdotcom-560x467

From page A2 | February 07, 2014 |

Fifty years ago Sunday, the Beatles set a record for American TV viewership when an estimated 73 million people (about 86 percent of U.S. households) watched them perform live for the first time on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”

The Beatles appeared three consecutive Sundays on the popular variety show, but the first was the most memorable.

The pandemonium, or Beatlemania as it came to be known, that was broadcast to the world Feb. 9, 1964, was evidenced two days earlier when the Liverpool quartet landed at John F. Kennedy Airport to thousands of rabid fans.

Their first set, hard to hear over all the screaming teenage girls, featured “All My Loving,” their cover of “Till There Was You” from “The Music Man” and “She Loves You.” The second set included “I Saw Her Standing There” and closed with the then-No. 1 U.S. single, “I Want to Hold Your Hand.”

CBS’s Studio 50 only seated 728 people, but there were about 50,000 requests for tickets. Celebrities such as Walter Cronkite and Richard Nixon managed to acquire tickets for their teenage daughters. The quest to see the show live was dramatized in director Robert Zemeckis’s first film, 1978’s “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”

The big winners that night were obviously the Beatles, as their first appearance became a cultural touchstone, but also Ed Sullivan and CBS. Then of course there was Anacin, Pillsbury, Aero Shave and Griffin Liquid Wax – the advertisers that got millions of American eyeballs on their products.

Locally, the Daily Republic’s TV listing for that night showed the Ed Sullivan show at 8 p.m., but made no mention of the Beatles. A day later, an editorial titled, “Are Those Wavy Haired Blokes Really Pulling Our Legs?” suggested the Beatles were actually parodying rock ‘n’ roll.

It turns out they were reinventing it.

Local residents recall that historic evening:

Beverly Mealer: I remember going to my friend Vonna’s house and her sister Vicky sitting on her knees on the floor in front of the TV, sobbing hysterically.

Tamara Beck Watson: I am one of those who sat in the living room in front of the old black-and-white TV set to take it in. Of course, the whole family had to see what the commotion was all about, too. What my family didn’t know was that I had already had a preview by catching a radio broadcast that was recast here in the states from England a week or two prior to the Sullivan show. When I heard them on the radio, I knew right away that something new, exciting, and life-changing was coming to America. After that I could hardly wait for “The Ed Sullivan Show” to air.

Leslie Winslow: I remember watching and my parents were watching, too. I had to try so hard to keep my emotions in because I knew they would think I was crazy.

Sue Forrester: I remember sitting in my living room watching Ed Sullivan introduce them. We had an old black-and-white tabletop, rabbit-eared TV and they weren’t HDTV clear by any means, but the sound was unforgettable.

Max Bryant: I had my first girl/boy party with the Beatles playing in the background.

Paula Lindsey: We watched that show, too. Since I am a lover of country music, I sat back on the couch while my sisters knelt in front of the TV doing strange things.

Donna Cannaday: I was a freshman at a sock hop and having fun, then the DJ played “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” We had never heard anything like that. We were so enthralled that the DJ played it over and over to frenzied dancers in white socks. I got so hot that I had to go outside to cool off. I was so buzzed by this new level of musical arousal. I needed that high feeling to continue so badly that I smoked my first cigarette, a Newport that I bummed from a guy. I passed out cold.

David Braker: I saw them on a fuzzy black-and-white TV when I was living with my grandparents. I just remember how disgusted Grandpa was by their long hair.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected].

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Zen out to.....Beatles Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:53 pm

• I meant this......The Bug Men - Beatles, You Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:56 pm

• The Four Preps - Letter To The BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:59 pm

• The Four Preps - More Money For You And Me (1961)February 07, 2014 - 4:05 pm

• The Beatles - Ed Sullivan Show (1965) (All 3 shows)February 07, 2014 - 4:28 pm

• barrett strong ... money [ thats what i want ]February 07, 2014 - 4:43 pm

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_hiy4bRLsFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:10 pm

Important to "retain my Identity in my own sweet way" ...Beatles drummer Pete Best on David Letterman (Part 2).

• U R A Cool Cat Tony.....Three Cool Cats - The Silver BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:15 pm

• Which Are Smarter: Cats or Dogs? - The Tonight Show with JayFebruary 07, 2014 - 7:30 pm

• Copy Cats - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ( Guest appearance by Mr. Brad/Stanhop )February 07, 2014 - 7:38 pm

• G-ManFebruary 08, 2014 - 1:03 am

Who's smarter Cats or Dogs..most would say Cats..but GOOGLE. Beagle on hidden camera stealing food from microwave(Toaster Oven)..that should decide the debate.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbFE_3Lqb0February 07, 2014 - 4:25 pm

T-Dub likes Historical pieces.... so info on the V-Dub.....From Hitler to Hippies: Evolution of THE BEETLE

• LMH2014February 07, 2014 - 9:15 pm

Great article! I was 12 at the height of teen-hood! I love how my dad said how long their hair was and that they were up to no good. He did change his tune!! Also, my mom, in Heaven for 30 years now, told me that Candlestick Park was halfway to LA and no I could not attend their final concert there! PS: She did not drive on any freeways and we lived in Berkeley. But, she was my mom and I believed her! Go figure! One more story re Beatles: about 4 years ago, hubby and me were watching Paul in Concert @ Red Square on PBS. Told hubby that I would put that on the bucket list. Went online that evening and lo and behold, Paul performing at Arco Arena that next Wednesday ... got the tickets and crossed off list! THE BEST $___.00 EVER SPENT BAR NONE!

• CD BrooksFebruary 08, 2014 - 7:03 am

LMH2014, I don't recall my parents ever speaking about the Beatles in any fashion. My mother was a singer and loved all music so I guess she just went with it! I decided this year that I'm going back to the long hair look we'll see how it works out. I agree 1000%, McCartney was one of the best shows ever!

1st release for birds with mysterious goo a success

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Church makes ready for health, wellness fair

4-H Annual Presentation Day returns in February

Vacaville SWAT team serves search warrant

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3

Real estate occupancy continues to climb

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

Council backs beer, wine sales for Vacaville store

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Vacaville police seek help to find sex offender

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3, 3 Comments | Gallery

Sweep by sheriff’s team nets 4 arrests

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3, 3 Comments

Travis starts work on Functional Fitness Center

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Boy Scouts to screen award-winning film

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Fairfield police log: Jan. 27, 2015

Suisun City police log: Jan. 27, 2015

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Air Force probing alleged ‘treason’ remark by general

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Expect tiny tuxes but no real puppy love at doggy weddings

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2 | Gallery

Large salmon release planned

Violations mount for toxic recycler

Quake rattles N. California coast

Second arrest in student stabbing

Marshals track down missing treasure hunter

‘Drunk’ excuse falls flat in Vandy rape trial

Attorney General nominee defends Obama immigration changes

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

Police seek law to alter Google app

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Chinese regulators go after online sale of fake goods

Investigation stems from police-involved shooting outbreak

Hezbollah missiles kill soldiers

By New York Times | From Page: A6

ISIS extends hostage deadline

Euro coast guards scramble to locate Syrian ghost ship

Tape: Scientist offers to build nuke bomb targeting New York

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

India now has 322 billion reasons to fix economy

By William Pesek | From Page: A7

Don’t brush off bullying

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

Editorial Cartoon: Jan. 29, 2015

Just be honest and come forward

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

A truly misinformed writer

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A7, 13 Comments

Today in History: Jan. 29, 2015

Community Calendar: Jan. 29, 2015

Deadbeat boyfriend ruined my relationship with my granddaughter

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscope Jan. 29, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Theater legend Joel Grey reveals that he is gay

By The Associated Press | From Page: B5, 1 Comment

Super Bowl advertisers aim not to offend

Kings center DeMarcus Cousins hoping to make All-Star team

Rodriguez wrestlers pull out 34-24 win over Wood

By Brian Arnold | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Tony Stewart acquires national sprint car series tour

Solano men cruise past LMC for biggest win of season

NFL players who started young show more thinking problems

GM John Schneider has been architect of Seahawks’ success

Patriots not dwelling on last Super Bowl loss in Arizona

Woods returns to Phoenix with plenty of memories

Korda, Lewis, Munoz tied for lead at LPGA season opener

Head of NCAA enforcement: Academic misconduct on rise

Chicago Cubs’ Ernie Banks statue moved downtown for tribute

Kobe Bryant has surgery, expected to be out for 9 months

This date in sports history for Jan. 29, 2015

Joseph Phillip Raiff

Dzhon Athanc

Zits

Crossword

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<<' (T_SL) in /www/newspaperfoundation.org/html/wp-content/themes/broadsheet/footer.php on line 101