Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Beatles rocked Sullivan show 50 years ago

Beatles2-by-acolddayinhadesdotcom-560x467

From page A2 | February 07, 2014 |

Fifty years ago Sunday, the Beatles set a record for American TV viewership when an estimated 73 million people (about 86 percent of U.S. households) watched them perform live for the first time on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”

The Beatles appeared three consecutive Sundays on the popular variety show, but the first was the most memorable.

The pandemonium, or Beatlemania as it came to be known, that was broadcast to the world Feb. 9, 1964, was evidenced two days earlier when the Liverpool quartet landed at John F. Kennedy Airport to thousands of rabid fans.

Their first set, hard to hear over all the screaming teenage girls, featured “All My Loving,” their cover of “Till There Was You” from “The Music Man” and “She Loves You.” The second set included “I Saw Her Standing There” and closed with the then-No. 1 U.S. single, “I Want to Hold Your Hand.”

CBS’s Studio 50 only seated 728 people, but there were about 50,000 requests for tickets. Celebrities such as Walter Cronkite and Richard Nixon managed to acquire tickets for their teenage daughters. The quest to see the show live was dramatized in director Robert Zemeckis’s first film, 1978’s “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”

The big winners that night were obviously the Beatles, as their first appearance became a cultural touchstone, but also Ed Sullivan and CBS. Then of course there was Anacin, Pillsbury, Aero Shave and Griffin Liquid Wax – the advertisers that got millions of American eyeballs on their products.

Locally, the Daily Republic’s TV listing for that night showed the Ed Sullivan show at 8 p.m., but made no mention of the Beatles. A day later, an editorial titled, “Are Those Wavy Haired Blokes Really Pulling Our Legs?” suggested the Beatles were actually parodying rock ‘n’ roll.

It turns out they were reinventing it.

Local residents recall that historic evening:

Beverly Mealer: I remember going to my friend Vonna’s house and her sister Vicky sitting on her knees on the floor in front of the TV, sobbing hysterically.

Tamara Beck Watson: I am one of those who sat in the living room in front of the old black-and-white TV set to take it in. Of course, the whole family had to see what the commotion was all about, too. What my family didn’t know was that I had already had a preview by catching a radio broadcast that was recast here in the states from England a week or two prior to the Sullivan show. When I heard them on the radio, I knew right away that something new, exciting, and life-changing was coming to America. After that I could hardly wait for “The Ed Sullivan Show” to air.

Leslie Winslow: I remember watching and my parents were watching, too. I had to try so hard to keep my emotions in because I knew they would think I was crazy.

Sue Forrester: I remember sitting in my living room watching Ed Sullivan introduce them. We had an old black-and-white tabletop, rabbit-eared TV and they weren’t HDTV clear by any means, but the sound was unforgettable.

Max Bryant: I had my first girl/boy party with the Beatles playing in the background.

Paula Lindsey: We watched that show, too. Since I am a lover of country music, I sat back on the couch while my sisters knelt in front of the TV doing strange things.

Donna Cannaday: I was a freshman at a sock hop and having fun, then the DJ played “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” We had never heard anything like that. We were so enthralled that the DJ played it over and over to frenzied dancers in white socks. I got so hot that I had to go outside to cool off. I was so buzzed by this new level of musical arousal. I needed that high feeling to continue so badly that I smoked my first cigarette, a Newport that I bummed from a guy. I passed out cold.

David Braker: I saw them on a fuzzy black-and-white TV when I was living with my grandparents. I just remember how disgusted Grandpa was by their long hair.

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected].

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• Zen out to.....Beatles Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:53 pm

• I meant this......The Bug Men - Beatles, You Bug MeFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:56 pm

• The Four Preps - Letter To The BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:59 pm

• The Four Preps - More Money For You And Me (1961)February 07, 2014 - 4:05 pm

• The Beatles - Ed Sullivan Show (1965) (All 3 shows)February 07, 2014 - 4:28 pm

• barrett strong ... money [ thats what i want ]February 07, 2014 - 4:43 pm

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_hiy4bRLsFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:10 pm

Important to "retain my Identity in my own sweet way" ...Beatles drummer Pete Best on David Letterman (Part 2).

• U R A Cool Cat Tony.....Three Cool Cats - The Silver BeatlesFebruary 07, 2014 - 5:15 pm

• Which Are Smarter: Cats or Dogs? - The Tonight Show with JayFebruary 07, 2014 - 7:30 pm

• Copy Cats - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ( Guest appearance by Mr. Brad/Stanhop )February 07, 2014 - 7:38 pm

• G-ManFebruary 08, 2014 - 1:03 am

Who's smarter Cats or Dogs..most would say Cats..but GOOGLE. Beagle on hidden camera stealing food from microwave(Toaster Oven)..that should decide the debate.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbFE_3Lqb0February 07, 2014 - 4:25 pm

T-Dub likes Historical pieces.... so info on the V-Dub.....From Hitler to Hippies: Evolution of THE BEETLE

• LMH2014February 07, 2014 - 9:15 pm

Great article! I was 12 at the height of teen-hood! I love how my dad said how long their hair was and that they were up to no good. He did change his tune!! Also, my mom, in Heaven for 30 years now, told me that Candlestick Park was halfway to LA and no I could not attend their final concert there! PS: She did not drive on any freeways and we lived in Berkeley. But, she was my mom and I believed her! Go figure! One more story re Beatles: about 4 years ago, hubby and me were watching Paul in Concert @ Red Square on PBS. Told hubby that I would put that on the bucket list. Went online that evening and lo and behold, Paul performing at Arco Arena that next Wednesday ... got the tickets and crossed off list! THE BEST $___.00 EVER SPENT BAR NONE!

• CD BrooksFebruary 08, 2014 - 7:03 am

LMH2014, I don't recall my parents ever speaking about the Beatles in any fashion. My mother was a singer and loved all music so I guess she just went with it! I decided this year that I'm going back to the long hair look we'll see how it works out. I agree 1000%, McCartney was one of the best shows ever!

Explore habitat of bats at special Solano-Yolo event

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Train hits car, kills 1

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: | Gallery

Dollar Tree settles illegal dumping case

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A5

Man walks to bring awareness to need for divorce reform

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A3 | Gallery

‘The Mask You Live In’ set for Vacaville premiere

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A2 | Gallery

Woman reported missing in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: | Gallery

Caltrans reminds motorists of Highway 12 bridge work

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Thor, Iron Man, Captain America return to movie screens

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Chambers plans Cinco de Mayo celebration

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A7

Rio Vista to celebrate endive once again

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A7

Full slate of events on tap in downtown Vacaville

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

Suisun City police log: April 25, 2015

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: April 24, 2015

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Loretta Lynch sworn in as new US attorney general

GOP defense budget challenges Obama on Ukraine, Guantanamo

Senate expands community colleges’ reach on sexual assault

Tuna company, 2 employees charged in death of worker in oven

Woman convicted of murder after young daughter disappeared

Ex-Guantanamo detainees in Uruguay protest at US Embassy

Cash handoffs, extortion fuel Mediterranean trafficking

Suspect in woman’s shooting arrested after 5-hour standoff

High court rejects appeal from protester at military base

Study blames global warming for 75 percent of very hot days

Nepal quake death toll tops 4,000; villages plead for aid

Corinthian Colleges closes all 28 remaining campuses

California teen confesses to fatally stabbing 9-year-old boy

New Ellis Island center to complete US immigration story

US, Japan boost defense ties with eyes on China, NKorea

Coast Guard suspends search for 4 missing off Alabama coast

Tiny California tribe turns to adoption to boost revenue

Yemen’s exiled government declares 3 disaster zones

Tuesday’s the day: Gay marriage arguments at Supreme Court

Prosecutor: 2 exams found James Holmes to be sane

Judge won’t delay order on inmate sex reassignment surgery

UN: Israeli military killed 44 Palestinians at UN shelters

Thousands attend funeral for Freddie Gray in Baltimore

Time for multiple-county tourism, arts, downtown project

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

What’s Marco Rubio’s secret?

By Jennifer Rubin | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Community Calendar: April 28, 2015

Jayne Meadows, actress and TV personality, dies at 95

Winehouse family criticizes ‘misleading’ movie about singer

Singer Jamie Barton wins the ‘Heisman Trophy’ of music

Kim Kardashian: supports Bruce Jenner’s gender transition

Rushdie chastises authors protesting Hebdo tribute

It’s nail-biting time on Broadway ahead of Tony nominations

‘Black-ish’ creator set to write ‘Good Times’ movie

Don Mankiewicz, Oscar-nominated screenwriter, dies at 93

Salma Hayek hopes ‘The Prophet’ inspires new generations

TVGrid April 28

Dodgers pitcher McCarthy out for season with elbow injury

Sharks near agreement to extend lease in San Jose

Raiders head into draft in need of receiver, pass rusher

Pacquiao, Roach scheme on plan for Mayweather’s defense

A new format, more golf for all at Match Play

Orioles’ game in Baltimore postponed due to safety concerns

Warriors trying to stay sharp while waiting for 2nd round

Kerr wins Rudy Tomjanovich Award from Pro Basketball Writers

Cards ace Adam Wainwright out for season with torn Achilles

Owner Ahmed Zayat takes aim at Kentucky Derby with 3 horses

Equestrian aims for more nations competing at Olympics

Cavaliers move on without Love, out with dislocated shoulder

Redskins to pick up 5th-year option on Robert Griffin III

Rare Honus Wagner baseball card sells for $1.32 million

Arrest warrant sought for UFC champ in hit-and-run crash

Hamilton given back to Texas after troubled Angels stint

89-year-old former Kansas player scores in alumni scrimmage

Arena talks underway in Seattle suburb with eye on hockey

Vegas sets up ‘concentric’ security for upcoming megafight

Packers will retire Favre’s jersey on Thanksgiving

Grizzlies G Mike Conley has facial surgery

Peterson absent but still wanted back by Vikings

Ex-executive gets prison for $27M insider trading scheme

High court to consider lawsuits over personal data

Discover discovers Apple Pay for its US cardholders

With economy uncertain, no Fed rate hike is seen before fall

Change to Greek bailout negotiating team fuels market hopes

Burger King heats it up with spicy Whopper and sales surge

Forget the watch: Apple’s iPhones are still the main event

Truckers at huge seaport complex strike; impact minimal

ESPN suing Verizon over unbundling of its sports channel

Industry tries to block genetically modified food labeling

Garfield April 28