CHP officers respond to the scene of a vehicle accident on westbound I-80 Thursday night in Fairfield. The driver was ejected from the vehicle and suffered a broken ankle. (Adam Smith/Daily Republic)

Woman hurt after hit by big rig on I-80

By From page A4 | March 28, 2014

FAIRFIELD — A Mercedes-Benz being driven by an unidentified woman in the slow lane of westbound Interstate 80 was rear-ended Thursday night by a big-rig truck, triggering a high-speed rollover wreck.

The big-rig, that did not stop after the crash, struck the Mercedes at around 7:30 p.m. on a downhill stretch of the freeway a few hundreds before the Manuel Campos Parkway exit. The impact caused the woman to lose control of her car, at highway speeds. The car careened onto the shoulder, up an embankment for about 100 yards and tumbled back down onto the shoulder, where it landed upside down.

The woman, who was alone in her car, was not wearing her safety belt, according to California Highway Patrol officers at the crash scene. She was ejected from her Mercedes and ended up lying on the freeway. She only suffered a compound fracture to one ankle.

The woman was taken to a nearby hospital while firefighters and CHP officers cleared the crash scene in less than 40 minutes.

Anyone with information about the big-rig truck can call the CHP at 428-2100.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

• TomsmakMarch 28, 2014 - 7:38 am

The first sentence of the second paragraph makes no sense to me. "... a few hundreds before the Manuel Campos Parkway exit." A few hundreds (what) ?

• Grumpy GusMarch 28, 2014 - 10:19 am

Beyond that 'few hundreds' comment, non of this story makes any sense. At 7:30 pm the freeway still has a lot of traffic, How were there not any witnesseses who could identify A SEMI-Truck? How do you get hit from behind, drive a 100 yards up a hill, The car rolls over all the way back down to the freeway and you end up on the side of the freeway with only a fractured ankle...

• shaylaMarch 28, 2014 - 10:35 am

She is my best friend and first off the car is wrong secondly she is in critical condition. Who ever covered this story to make it look like it wasn't a big deal should be fired! They should be covering another story looking for the asshole who was in the semi and drove away!!

• CD BrooksMarch 28, 2014 - 10:44 am

Shayla, best wishes to your friend, what other injuries did she sustain?

• Grumpy GusMarch 28, 2014 - 11:01 am

So sorry to hear she is in critical condition Shayla, I sincerely hope she improves quickly... I am still shocked there were not witnesses on scene... there is a lot of traffic at that time...

• CD BrooksMarch 28, 2014 - 10:39 am

Yet another non-seatbelt wearing driver? What is wrong with these people? She's driving a Mercedes, the fault surely could not be hers! I believe this woman saw the alleged truck approaching, over-reacted and rolled her car then blamed the alleged truck driver. It s just too sketchy for my liking. She's incredibly lucky to be alive.

• JerricaMarch 28, 2014 - 11:15 am

Dont write the news if you are just going to make up the story. Most of this is FALSE. She is in critical condition, doesn't drive a Mercedes, and it was later than 7:30 (still unclear on the time). She is in ICU. You people make me sick, blaming her for not wearing a seat belt. She was still rear ended by a semi truck! How is that her fault? Fix this story!

• Grumpy GusMarch 28, 2014 - 11:47 am

I am not even believing the 'not wearing a seat belt' part of the story... I was in a roll-over accident a long time ago, the car rolled and ended up on its roof... and I ended up hanging upside-down by my seat belt... First thing I did, was release the seatbelt and crawl out the window to get away from the car which was leaking gas... Anyone driving up on that scene would have said I was "not wearing a seat belt and ejected from the car" I agree with you Jerrica, dont write/post a story just because you have a picture to post. GET the FACTS... or wait until you do. Hope your friend recovers soon...

• CD BrooksMarch 28, 2014 - 1:06 pm

Jerrica, I was responding to a story (alleged facts unwritten and unbeknownst to us at the time). No point getting angry, nobody wishes your friend ill, just reacting to a story. Pease post her progress here. Thanks.

• JerricaMarch 28, 2014 - 6:59 pm

I wasnt responding to your comment at all...I was responding to the story. But ok.

• Her friendMarch 28, 2014 - 12:17 pm

First off. She was broke down on the side of the freeway waiting for help. That's why she did not have a seat belt on. She did not only a suffer a compound fracture to her ankle, she suffered severe injuries and is in critical condition! The semi that hit her did not stop and left her to die. This story should be a bigger story and they should be worried about catching the driver of the truck! Thank you daily republic for yet another under investigated story.

• LLCMarch 28, 2014 - 1:23 pm

1st of all my 4 year old can write a better report then this! I am not really a friend but I know her. This woman has a child and if her seat belt was on or not isnt the point the big rig hit and kept going. This is a little more serious then a woman hurt last I heard her leg is broke n her pelvis is shattered. I was gonna share this article but there is no point from the time to the make n model of the car is all wrong.

• DcMarch 28, 2014 - 1:46 pm

They need to get there facts straight.this is my sons mom she is in critical care.plz help us find this truck and guy.she did not deserve this we have a 4 year old son how can u begin to tell him mom is hurt and not coming home plz help us.

• steveMarch 28, 2014 - 3:21 pm

Hopefully someone doesn't pay 99 cents for this piece of garbage paper / reporting. Shayla, prayers to your friend and hopefully someone gets the damn truck driver, and someone else fires the person that wrote the story, so I'm assuming they are so understaffed that they had the janitor handle this one.

• Sherrie ByrumMarch 29, 2014 - 11:24 am

Bottom line....we need to get this story tetracted and re_reported. The accident happened around 9:39 pm. She was rear ended! The truck driver should have stopped and got help. HE DIDN'T! We have been.able to find our from the car driver my step daughter that the truck was green with a long white trailer. She can't talk but was able to get this written out for us just yesterday. Come.on people do blaming lists fund this driver. They're are several surgeries ahead, she had broken ribs, punctured lung, broken leg broken very and an extremely fractured pelvis. Let's not go blaming the victim here people. Just get the correct information out there. PLEASE

• LilMarch 29, 2014 - 6:51 pm

It did NOT happen around 9:39. I was caught in the traffic caused by this accident and I was past it by 8:15. By that time, the tow truck was already there to tow the car. I was on my way to pickup an order at a restaurant and I know what time I got to the restaurant. Telling people the wrong time will not help you find witnesses. If you want to get the correct information out, make sure you actually have the correct information.

• sherrieMarch 29, 2014 - 11:28 am

Sorry about the typos. Let's just find this driver.

• Robert LanningApril 01, 2014 - 12:37 pm

Has any one heard the old saying , Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see.The newspaper reporter has the story completely wrong. So for any ignorant people that want to comment about this story , save your ignorant comments tell you know the trurth. If anyone has anything negative too say I welcome you to say it to me. I can deal with any of you. As for the news paper and the reporter, you people really need to do some research and get your facts straight .