FAIRFIELD — The house fire Tuesday on San Remo Street, caused by a pot left burning on a stove, sent a reserve firefighter to the hospital for heat-related illness and caused $125,000 in damage to the home, fire officials say.
Fairfield Fire Department Battalion Chief Matt Luckenbach said the firefighter was released after treatment at a hospital and was OK after responding to the fire.
A Red Cross representative said three adults and two children living at the Fairfield home have been put up in a hotel and provided food along with money for laundry service.
“They have a few days to sort things out,” spokeswoman Pooja Trivedi said of the three-day stay at a hotel in Solano County.
No one was home when the fire was reported at 11 a.m.
Luckenbach said the department often responds to pots left unattended on stoves but that few such situations cause as much damage as the Tuesday fire.
“It’s pretty rare that it gets as big as this one,” he said of the fire.
Each year the department has a theme for its Fire Prevention Week, Luckenbach said. Prevent kitchen fires is the theme for the annual event next month, he said.
Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or email@example.com.