This photo by Jessica Little shows the immediate aftermath of a crash that claimed the life of 77-year-old stunt pilot Eddie Andreini during this year’s Thunder Over Solano air show at Travis Air Force Base, May 4, 2014. (Jessica Little/Daily Republic file)
SACRAMENTO (AP) — The family of a stunt pilot who died of burns after crashing his biplane during a Northern California air show is seeking $20 million in damages from the federal government.
The Sacramento Bee reports the family 77-year-old Eddie Andreini filed three wrongful death claims on Tuesday, claiming emergency crews did not respond fast enough to free him from his burning plane.
Andreini crashed before 85,000 people during a May 4 show at Travis Air Force Base.
An autopsy report says Andreini died in the flames while trapped in the aircraft. National Transportation Safety Board investigators concluded that it took fire crews three to four minutes to get to the crash site.
The Bee says base officials declined to comment on Wednesday.
Glen Faison joined the Daily Republic as managing editor in September 2009. He previously worked as a reporter and editor for daily and weekly newspapers in the San Joaquin Valley for 20-plus years. His experience includes time as editor of the Golden Eagle, a military paper serving the Lemoore Naval Air Station. He graduated from Fresno State University with a bachelor's degree in journalism and bleeds Bulldogs red. He is an avid Washington Redskins fan, and attended the 1988 NFC Championship Game against the Minnesota Vikings at RFK Stadium. He married his wife, Jill, in 2005, and has three children: Courtni, Tyler and Hayli.