Saturday, December 27, 2014

More than 300 pack town hall on crime

30 crime meeting 1

Police Chief Walt Tibbet speaks during a community meeting addressing crime at the Fairfield Community Center, Tuesday. Members of the community met to discuss recent violent crime and what the police will do and have done in response. (Aaron Rosenblatt/Daily Republic)

From page A1 | April 30, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — More than 300 people who turned out for a town hall on crime heard a call to action Tuesday from the police chief, a police captain, a pastor and City Council members.

“We’re losing a generation of kids,” the Rev. Mervin Davis said. “The family is fragmented.”

Davis, pastor of True Love Baptist Church in Fairfield, spoke after Police Capt. Joe Allio asked parents to know what’s in the backpacks of their children and to know the youths their children hang out with.

“These kids belong to you,” Allio said.

Police Chief Walt Tibbet said Fairfield-Suisun School District trustees approved hiring eight truancy specialists. Ninety-three percent of criminal suspects and victims never graduated from high school, he said.

“When the kids are out on the streets, the streets take over,” Tibbet said. “Young people are losing sight of the fact that violence is very real.”

The police chief began his talk at Willow Hall in the Civic Center by saying of Fairfield: “The level of violence we’ve experienced is unacceptable.”

Four homicides have happened so far in 2014 while a single homicide was reported for all of 2009. In that same year, aggravated assaults totaled 63 but the number of such crimes has already reached 107 this year. Tibbet said of those involved in crime: “We will pursue you.”

“We will bring you to justice,” the chief said. “Wherever you are, you cannot hide.”

He also spoke about Fairfield’s effort to improve conditions at the 240-unit Parkway Gardens condominiums so that children can feel safe again in the neighborhood.

“If people will stand together,” Tibbet said, “criminals don’t have a chance.”

The chief also cited steps the city has taken, including a moratorium on so-called medical marijuana.

“We’ve got to stop the contrary message that marijuana is medicine,” he said.

Allio said 15 to 20 people witnessed the lone homicide police haven’t solved this year. Not one of the people was willing to speak, he said.

“The culture has to change,” Allio said.

The police captain said he tells people after a homicide that it was their friend who was shot.

“This is about justice for your friend,” Allio advises them.

Kris Corey, superintendent of the Fairfield-Suisun School District, said at the town hall that “education really is the solution to this crime issue.”

“The way out of poverty is through education,” she said.

Residents who spoke during the town hall included a person who cited the private social network nextdoor.com as among ways to combat crime.

David Perkins, another speaker, said his proudest moment came when a man who had a troubled youth approached Perkins at a restaurant to thank him for coaching baseball. The man, who was with his children, told them about Perkins: “This is a guy who, if it wasn’t for him, you wouldn’t be here.”

Lisa Romero, with her children, ages 1 and 3, said she shouldn’t have to explain to them why a homeless person knocked on the window of the car the children were in. Or why someone stole the 3-year-old’s TV from her room. Or about the odor of marijuana at the playground where the child plays.

Fairfield Councilwoman Catherine Moy called the town hall a big step and said of combating crime: “We can do this. We will do this.”

Councilwoman Pam Bertani called for a safe streets task force in Fairfield.

“Let’s do something,” she said. “Let’s get this done.”

Raymond Courtemanche, chief operations officer at Mission Solano, said after the town hall: “For us it’s a clear demonstration of the compassionate, caring community we live in.”

Ben Afisivalu, a candidate for Fairfield City Council, praised the event, as did council candidate Joe Martinez.

“Now we’ve got to put this talk into action,” Martinez said.

Solano County Supervisor Jim Spering, who also attended the town hall, said, “I’m really impressed with the comprehensive approach they’re taking to crime.”

“This is a tremendous first step,” Spering said.

Davis, referring to the big turnout Tuesday, told those at the event: “We don’t get this many people on Sunday.”

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or rmccarthy@dailyrepublic.net.

• LilApril 29, 2014 - 10:21 pm

Kind of ironic. As I was reading this, I heard gun shots.

• Rich GiddensApril 29, 2014 - 10:28 pm

I left and the night was warm. My car's windows were down. I passed a group of ''people'' on Madison Street. Many were underage minors with several adults in the street. The air was thick with both the skunk smell of unburnt (I smelled that first) marijuana followed by the smell of burning marijuana. Other then the usual cars running red lights at Sunset / Hwy 12, I witnessed no other crimes on the way home. I give up. This place is hopeless.

• LilApril 29, 2014 - 10:32 pm

I wanted to clarify my prior statement. The police radio said it was probably fireworks so I will go with what they say. If anybody ever wants to listen to the police radio, check out broadcastify online. I have found it very helpful. If I hear a bunch of sirens, I can turn it on and find out if it is something close or not. I'm not far from highway 12, I'm in the "released from jail" area, and not far from homeless encampments. So it helps to know what's going down.

• Skeptic ScroogeApril 30, 2014 - 12:17 am

Liz I live in same area and heard gunshot at same time, not fireworks. I then heard a male scream ohh ahh.

• GemmaApril 30, 2014 - 4:59 am

Lil, I've lived in SS for 5 years. Last week, I got "lost" coming home-was going the wrong direction on 12-in the right lanes, just turned around. Anywho, as I was getting right, I looked over on the side where Jelly Belly is, and Farberware. It was early morning, sprinkling, and I see 2 people walking over there. I ask aloud "what are they doing over there?" I then see shopping carts, many feet apart, further and further back, and it finally clicked. I had no idea there was a homeless encampment over there.

• Rich GiddensApril 30, 2014 - 9:11 am

Gemma---that your failed government's ''Obama town''. They should incorporate and form their own city...LOL!

• LoveMyCommunityApril 29, 2014 - 10:36 pm

Great job tonight, Fairfield PD and especially Captain Allio. Keep up the good work.

• Rich GiddensApril 30, 2014 - 6:58 am

Your nose is brown and your government's failures speak for themselves. If that fact were not true, then why was it necessary to have the meeting?. You are not a thinking person, you are just their shill and cheerleader.

• LoveMyCommunityApril 30, 2014 - 1:57 pm

Rich, how in the world could you tell if my nose was brown? You were flitting around last night trying to hustle phone numbers from single mothers. Seems to me you were thinking with something and it wasn't your brain. Which would explain your comments at the mic completely unrelated to the context of the meeting. smh....

• Rich GiddensApril 30, 2014 - 2:59 pm

My comments were entirely relevant, germain and material to the issue of exploding crime and its root causes. I asked if Assemblyman Frasier was there attending and listening and I simply asked if he thought it was time to cut off the welfare and stop being an illegal alien sanctuary state. That is the root cause of the crime and spending more money on cops and welfare (each cancelling the other out) was not working. Other speakers echoed my sentiments by discussing the illegal alien gangs too.

• SamApril 29, 2014 - 11:27 pm

Do you think this is really the first step? There have been many first steps for years. This is a very slow first step. We can do it! Lets do it! But wait a minute, what is it we can do? Hug the thugs? Lock everybody up? Educate the high school kids? What about the ones that are 19-23 year old hardened criminals? There is NO educating these guys!

• well doneApril 29, 2014 - 11:28 pm

I agree. Captain Allio was a breath of fresh air. We need more of those and less of the others...

• Rick WoodApril 29, 2014 - 11:34 pm

Join your neighborhood NextDoor.com group. If you don't have one, start one up. Then use it to meet your neighbors and network. Clean up your street, literally. Pick up litter, sweep sidewalks, report and/or eradicate graffiti as soon as it goes up, cut weeds, trim trees. The City isn't doing that so much anymore, and a neighborhood that looks like no one cares is attractive to criminals.

• GemmaApril 30, 2014 - 5:13 am

Rick Wood-I just looked at Nextdoor.com. I think it's a pretty cool concept, and I like that's it's based here in Ca. Thanks for the heads up.

• SusanApril 30, 2014 - 1:37 pm

How about Walmart and McDonald send a clean up crew down N. Texas? I pick up crap all the time and guess where it comes from?

• Rick WoodApril 30, 2014 - 2:09 pm

YES! Corporate sponsors for litter pick-up. Those partners are more than welcome and should be recognized for whatever they provide. Let's add in Starbucks and anyone who produces pizza by the slice boxes.

• Julian WestApril 30, 2014 - 3:47 am

is he stupid? marijuana is medicine!

• GemmaApril 30, 2014 - 5:03 am

Yes, as a matter of fact, I think he is stupid. Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth, because I was going to say MJ is definitely medicine.It works, and wth does Medical MJ have to do with all the murders and crime?!?! The dispensaries aren't being robbed-the d boys are doing the robbing, of other d boys. He better not try and say the person in vv that was shot or killed with pounds of weed was a MMJ distributor, because we know that's a lie. These problems were here before MMJ, and they'll be here after. The DA's office NOT punishing people for their crimes is the problem, NOT MMJ. He better tell the older woman I saw on the news the other night that MJ isn't medicine, because she sure said it worked for her MS, the FIRST time she used it! You can not argue with results! Stop trying to line Big Pharma's pockets, and get people addicted to pills, when they don't have to!

• GemmaApril 30, 2014 - 5:06 am

So, Parkway is the squeaky wheel that's going to get the grease huh? No mention of Grande, where shootings always happen, and the D boys run things. No mention of Bristol, or the Travion area, or Phoenix Drive. Good to know people are so able to focus on all the areas that are in trouble, NOT.

• Rich GiddensApril 30, 2014 - 5:37 pm

Face it---the bungling cop thugs need a bogeyman to project blame with so as to divert attention from their mission, moral and budget failures. Sort of like the government-media complex harping about DEMOCRAT Mr. Donald Sterling being a ''racist'' while no progress is made with minority youth test scores, unemployment and incarceration rates. That Porker Chief blames everything on marijuana legalization yet he can't explain his treasury draining whack-a-mole police state crime strategy. But I don't solely blame cops chasing their own shadows---i primarily blame the politicians! They enabled all of this at taxpayer's expense!

• PatriotApril 30, 2014 - 5:22 am

"We've lost a generation of children in our community"! No you were lost on two to three prior to this one. Their parents and grandparents are to be faulted on this continued increase in violence in the city. Don't blame the schools. Blame the parents or lack of parents that are not raising these kids. The streets are! Live by violence, die by violence!

• LOST OPPORTUNITY BY CHIEFApril 30, 2014 - 5:49 am

I thought a town hall meeting was a great idea. An opportunity for residents to share ideas and concerns. Unfortunately, the meeting was not for residents. It was a police department pep rally. The Department took up the majority of the time with stats and claims of what a great job they are doing. (We already know that) After the Chief spoke for too long he then had another officer repeat everything already said by the chief. This left little time for ideas, questions, or concerns from the hundreds of residents who took the time out of their busy work weeks to attend. The Chief completely missed the boat. Fairfield citizens needed to feel heard. Instead residents were subjected to all manner of typical rhetoric from politicians and to Krishna Abrams' all too obvious plant in the audience who popped up to endorse her pretending to look up her name on his cell phone while dramatically pointing his finger at Dubain. (Seriously, I am not kidding! It was like watching bad, bad cheesy theater. I want to see a DA change but this woman's campaign morals makes it impossible for me to like her.) But I digress. Sometimes GREAT ideas come out of a gathering of people dumping ideas into the mix. We do it all the time in the tech biz. Of Course it requires one to know how to give up the spotlight and LISTEN, which BTW, will inevitably lead to the ever present individuals who can't make the distinction between a meeting to address CITY issues and the opportunity to address State and Federal welfare spending?? It also means you will have to LISTEN to some constructive criticism. Good things can be unearthed during such LISTENING opportunities. In this case, the opportunity was lost.

• Rich GiddensApril 30, 2014 - 7:02 am

You are indeed right--it was another staged, scripted, controlled publicity stunt by the porker pig cops and their horrible leaders. There won't be any progress---the welfare rolls will continue to soar, the illegals will continue to pour in and more thug cops and their weapons of civil war will continue to grow too with each of those loathsome entities cancelling the other out!

• Larry D Bluford JrApril 30, 2014 - 10:09 am

Last night we had over 300 concerned citizens show up to the town hall meeting. The Police department shared a lot of valuable informative stats. Shared some programs we have currently in place and some residents got to answer questions and state some concerns. The Mayor was there, City Council, the school district and more. I don't want to be negative but I must be honest. We failed in my opinion. We got a whole bunch of people excited, we heard, "A call to take action"....my questions is, what is that action? A whole bunch of people shared what "they" are doing and that's beautiful but what if someone wanted to help or get involved? There was no direction or instruction on "What's Next". What are these people going to do tomorrow and next week, next month to take action? With that many people in one place there should have been a sign up sheet where people to sign up to TAKE ACTION! Or perhaps we could have introduced #BreakTheCycle and we could have got people to TAKE ACTION as soon as tomorrow. This is my only problem with having meetings, is we have meetings and take no action. Now let me say this, I believe our police department is doing a great job in our city being led by Chief Tibbet and they cannot do it all alone. City Council is doing a great job but they can't do it alone. We could have accomplished so much more if we were able to follow up with those interested in TAKING ACTION. My prayer is the next time this happen, I'm hoping the powers that be, TAKE ACTION to give people that desire to TAKE ACTION an opportunity to do so. Attacking violence and crime in our city won't come by a great idea and a few proclamations. It's only going to happen by being deliberate and on purpose. Cause when it's all said and done, what is going to be different tomorrow? We know some stats, know kids need to stay in school. What's next? With all that being said, to anyone who was there at the meeting and wants to get involved in breaking the cycle of violence and crime in our city, contact me. We need everyone to #BreakTheCycle Contact me Larry@operationthugs.org

• My2centsApril 30, 2014 - 5:59 am

I attended the meeting and presented City Counsel members with a proposed city ordinance amendment to add a zoning ordinance to limit the number of drug alcohol testing/Rehab centers in downtown Fairfield. These vital services are needed throughout Solano County. There is no reason to concentrate so many in such a small geographic area, particularly when that area is our Fairfield downtown city center. These services need to be spread county wide and limited to areas where children and families are not exposed to the increases in loitering, littering, noise, increases in crime, serious mental health breakdowns, and constant traffic and parking violations which all impact property values and our City's image to visitors. Let's see if the Counsel does anything with the proposed ordinance.

• 2realApril 30, 2014 - 6:18 am

In reading this article, i missed the part about their plan to stop the crime. Oh yea they dont have one. Bertani, lets do this? Are you kidding. Someone remove her from politics immediately!! Moy, only reason you showed up was to make it look good for the next election. I would bet my bottom dollar these council members dont give a rats ass about crime here. They just wanna collect that check. same goes for chief walt disney, do you ever even see the streets? Or are you making six figures for nothing!!

• JBApril 30, 2014 - 6:28 am

All of a sudden Spering is concerned about crime. Shocker. I thought he would be too busy backing another raise on the toll bridges. Must be election time.

• Bill of RightsApril 30, 2014 - 6:29 am

I think the meeting was informative and eye opening for many. I also agree that this was a community meeting and the police department, along with the other leaders of the community failed by not allowing the citizens to be heard by all. An opportunity missed.

• Rich GiddensApril 30, 2014 - 8:42 am

It wasn't ''eye opening'' or anything new. It was the same old heavily staged, scripted, controlled publicity stunt. The cop and politician true believers come in here to kiss corrupt failed government's rump. Meanwhile, the people who complained about police misconduct along with ineffective and biased policing are ignored and the news media are complicit in all of it too. I don't believe anything is going to change because the same conditions and failed solutions that haven't worked are still being presented. The government just wants more tax money shoved at cops, courts, prisons, judges, DA's, public defenders, welfare, unions, illegal aliens, section 8 housing, programs for lowlifes, failed bad unionized schools, AND IT DOESNT WORK. It's clear that each of those entities is cancelling the other out.

• Rich GiddensApril 30, 2014 - 8:45 am

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA--IF THE GANGBANGERS DONT GET YOU, THE GOVERNMENT OF TRAITORS WILL!

• CD BrooksApril 30, 2014 - 6:31 am

We were hoping to attend but could not go. Unfortunately it sounds like what I figured it might turn into. The write up tells me more of the same. BS. This was about separating them from us wanting us to do more because they've made it clear, they're going to do less. Why bring up marijuana? That is a total smoke screen, more BS and has nothing to do with anything. Parenting and schooling? C'mon now, what the heck is that all about? Really nothing new there. I don't see anything about traffic here? Okay then be prepared for more of the same nothing changes. What friggin disaster.

• loveApril 30, 2014 - 6:55 am

Marijuana... really? So the police can't stop crime but they're scientist and doctors now too?

• Mr. SmithApril 30, 2014 - 7:05 am

After the meeting, I felt like I had gone to a steak house for dinner, but ended up being served a tofu burger instead. The police department talked AT us for most of the meeting over a sound system that is not the best, and the "public input" session was a joke. For the most part, the police spokespersons were "preaching to the choir" about parental responsibility--the people in attendance were not the ones who needed to hear it. Some members of the public were inarticulate (not their fault, but time consuming), some were off-topic, the number of speakers was too few (a mixed blessing, I know) and almost no valid input was presented for further consideration by the council or law enforcement at this meeting. I'm not sure that was a goal, anyway. In summary, the police are doing a lot to combat crime in this community, but they are overwhelmed. The ordinary citizens, outside of being eyewitnesses to crimes and reporting, are not going to be of much value in this struggle. No solutions in sight.

• PornacApril 30, 2014 - 7:12 am

If we were all armed crime would stop.

• Snuggle bunnyApril 30, 2014 - 8:12 am

It's sad to see this city of fairfield go to hell in a hand basket!!! I was raised there, but reside in vacaville now seems a little safer as far as all the shootings although they do have there crime here and starting to see a lot more homeless people here. But it may end up like fairfield down the road I remember when vallejo was bad, then seemed like it moved up to fairfield and stayed there?? Truly in my heart I wish things would change but that will be left to be seen. Bless us all

• Dope on Dope (a.k.a. Beebo)April 30, 2014 - 8:26 am

Look, we all know that marijuana is a gateway medicine. It starts with the reef for relief, then one quickly ascends to things like Neti Pots for cleansing their sinuses, then herbs for a variety of ailments, and before you know it, the abuser finally succumbs to things like increasing their water intake for headache relief and they might even exercise in lieu of diet pills. As a relapsing/recovering marijuana addict, I must say that removing this terrible drug from our society should be #1. Of course, like the preacher dude says, we need to know what is in these kids' backpacks. Better not find an apple, cuz... suspended until they smarten-up and pack their pack with Oreos. USA

• KelliApril 30, 2014 - 8:42 am

I recenlty moved from Vallejo to Fairfield unfortunately assuming it would be a little safer- I was completely wrong. I actually felt safer in Vallejo. There have several incidences and I've only been here for 9 months. I almost got my car stolen and thugs hang out late at night around my area. In the daytime it looked like a nice part of Fairfield, but at night it's a different story.

• clancyApril 30, 2014 - 9:27 am

Please no thug hugging. Watch these people pull them over search their cars and prosecute them. Young law abiding drivers if you ate pulled over for any reason please don't holler profiling. This has happened to my daughter who is mixed race . she was told her registration sticker was expired. It was not the cop apologized but this tells me they were just seeing who she was and what she was doing. Another time she was pulled over because she was drinking a breakfast shake out of a red do cup. The cop told her a red solo cup means alcohol. Lol!!she was mad as she drinks no alcohol at all. I told her to be happy they doing what they can .maybe they should talk to the Benicia police .. They keep it pretty tight over there

• Larry D Bluford, JrApril 30, 2014 - 9:39 am

: Last night we had over 300 concerned citizens show up to the town hall meeting. The Police department shared a lot of valuable informative stats. Shared some programs we have currently in place and some residents got to answer questions and state some concerns. The Mayor was there, City Council, the school district and more. I don't want to be negative but I must be honest. We failed in my opinion. We got a whole bunch of people excited, we heard, "A call to take action"....my questions is, what is that action? A whole bunch of people shared what "they" are doing and that's beautiful but what if someone wanted to help or get involved? There was no direction or instruction on "What's Next". What are these people going to do tomorrow and next week, next month to take action? With that many people in one place there should have been a sign up sheet where people to sign up to TAKE ACTION! Or perhaps we could have introduced #BreakTheCycle and we could have got people to TAKE ACTION as soon as tomorrow. This is my only problem with having meetings, is we have meetings and take no action. Now let me say this, I believe our police department is doing a great job in our city being led by Chief Tibbet and they cannot do it all alone. City Council is doing a great job but they can't do it alone. We could have accomplished so much more if we were able to follow up with those interested in TAKING ACTION. My prayer is the next time this happen, I'm hoping the powers that be, TAKE ACTION to give people that desire to TAKE ACTION an opportunity to do so. Attacking violence and crime in our city won't come by a great idea and a few proclamations. It's only going to happen by being deliberate and on purpose. Cause when it's all said and done, what is going to be different tomorrow? We know some stats, know kids need to stay in school. What's next? With all that being said, to anyone who was there at the meeting and wants to get involved in breaking the cycle of violence and crime in our city, contact me. Larry@operationthugs.org and/or (866) 873-8953 We need everyone to #BreakTheCycle

• clancyApril 30, 2014 - 10:14 am

My daughters friend was complaining she was pulled over in Benicia because her music was too loud. I thought "good! I lived in Benicia About 20 years ago . that made me want to move back.I live in suisun I would be in shock if someone was stopped for music too loud.. Shocked and happy.most of the homes in my neighborhood are occupied by non English speaking families. English sp eaking or not maybe it should start with the neighbors and police demanding some respect for the neighborhood. We can't even get animal control to stop the incessant dog barking. The police try to help but should they really be spending time on that? Even wrote a letter directly to mayor Sanchez.. No response

• clancyApril 30, 2014 - 10:32 am

So judge Getty reducing bail for thugs on the same day as this meeting.. Wow! This is a major part of the problem . the police can only their part

• SamApril 30, 2014 - 11:33 am

Like I said before, stop wasting money on the city golf courses and the so called art decore laying around town. HIRE MORE POLICE OFFICERS! Is that hard for the people holding these phony town meetings to understand? That is what we want! More crime prevention without HUG-A-THUG!

• George Guynn, JrApril 30, 2014 - 12:35 pm

Biggest Dog and Pony show last night that I have attended in a long time and I go to tons of meetings! The police are paid big bucks to do a job to control crime. Like every one else that has a job, if they don''t produce, they need a big salary cut or to be given the boot. Talked to Supervisor Spering before the meeting started and asked what jobs he had produced as supervisor, other than minimum wage ones. He told me that he produced jobs for transportation projects, which are temporary and part of his job. Then he told me that I am too negative for complaining that temporary transportation jobs and minimum wage weren't very good for 28 years and growing in office. I hope the incumbents all get pitched out this time. Oman and Clift or Ray would be a big improvement over what we are stuck with now.

• Part of the solutionApril 30, 2014 - 2:02 pm

George, you are the "dog and pony show"! People don't even want to go to meetings because they have to listen to your rant about nothing. Never positive just combative and rude. I am going to spend the rest of my day thinking about how I can help Fairfield…hope you do the same.

• Rich GiddensApril 30, 2014 - 2:52 pm

The Bottom Line is we have a right to present greviances, complaints, remonstrances along with evidence of same to include witnesses, testimony, physical and particular knowledge evidence. That's what our Constitution says and Legislative Bodies like City Council or the Board of Supervisors have a duty to investigate and inform. Saying otherwise and calling it ''ranting'' or going so far as having Police officers attack and beat up a witness in front of TV cameras is outrageous conduct that shocks the senses of the ordinary citizen.

• Susan B. Anthony LolApril 30, 2014 - 1:46 pm

You are right about there being many other troubled areas... what are the D boys... Im 26 and ive heard of many other gangs and groups but whats the D boys lol

• justmeApril 30, 2014 - 5:26 pm

D-boy means drug dealer

• GemmaMay 01, 2014 - 4:47 am

Susan B-A D boy is simply a drug dealer. I think it's a term from the 90s lol. So, basically, when you see the young "men" on Grande, Bristol, etc, and they're wearing an over sized white t-shirt, jeans hanging off their backside, and they flee like roaches when a cop approaches-chances are they're a d boy :-)

• CD BrooksApril 30, 2014 - 2:42 pm

How fitting that Bertani was there making such a deep comment. She and this meeting have one thing in common nobody is buying the garbage they're peddling.

• SamApril 30, 2014 - 3:39 pm

I just read an article about how Fairfield, Ca. "gets it right" with the two city owned golf courses while other cities are suffering cut backs! Seems Fairfield is keeping the greens up no matter what at our expense! Those golf courses have to be subsidized in order to survive. More important than crime is in Fairfield!

• rpApril 30, 2014 - 4:16 pm

I was deeply disappointed with the meeting last, not at all what I was expecting. Although I do think the police officers do an outstanding job considering what they're dealing with, I didn't expect the meeting to about the chief patting themselves on the back. The Captain's advice was totally misguided when he said to be involved parents. The police chief wants us involved in the community. I was there and I am a responsible parent and involved citizen. About half the people there were concerned seniors, so who was he talking to when he said we're responsible for our children? They want US to break the cycle? There are already so many city run, church run, government funded programs out there, is the answer really more of these programs? I'm just too stunned and too tired to fight a losing battle. This city lacks any leadership or vision, so do you expect the tax paying, law abiding citizens to have all the answers when the council is counter productive. So sad to call Fairfield home:(

• Mr. SmithApril 30, 2014 - 5:23 pm

RP and Two Hours Not Well Spent have summed the meeting up very well. The more I think about it, the more I have to believe that this meeting was never intended to be outcome oriented. It was an all show, feel good production. Sure, the council and police administration want crime in this city to drop. Yes, the police department is working hard at doing what police departments do. The problem is, this council and police administration are in over their heads and they don't know what to do now. And it was apparent last night. Do those folks downtown think we are stupid? I think I already answered my own question. Get serious and get some outside help, people!

• 2 Hours Not Well SpentApril 30, 2014 - 4:30 pm

That was 2 hours of my life I will never get back. I skipped something really important to attend this meeting and what I got was to be present at a Mutual Admiration Society meeting. What a great opportunity there could have been to provide some leadership as to what to do next, not give us facts that we already know. And we had to hear about those twice. I was a little surprised to hear that we, the concerned citizens that took time out to come to this meeting, need to check our kids back packs and know who their friends are. We already do that. I'm pretty sure I'm not worried about anyone's kid that was in that room. I'm worried about one of the 97% who has been in the system before. Doesn't that mean that they weren't dealt with appropriately the first time? There were some good comments made and there might have been more, but they were cut short even though there was still time left. I'm not going to bash all the agencies involved because that's not productive I just felt like that 2 hours was a missed opportunity.

• Dr RussApril 30, 2014 - 10:58 pm

The problem in Fairfield: Black and Hispanic parents: A good portion of these individuals don’t know how to raise a child because they weren't raised properly. A victim mentality: This festers throughout the aforementioned communities exacerbated by the likes of Rev. Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and Heir Kommandant, Der Fuhrer O’bama (Let’s add Pam Bertani for good measure). Every excuse under the sun is provided for why certain segments of society refuse to prosper, despite the advantages provided them. Lack of alternatives: Difficult to get a job when there aren’t any. Thank you California Legislature. See Toyota’s recent departure from Torrance, CA to Texas for an example of this. Why ever would they leave? Answer: Burdensome taxes and regulations. Simple as that. “But I vote Democrat, and they’re for the worker class!” Honestly, Democrat/Republican matters very little these days. Both parties are out to screw everyone, despite your situation. Social Safety Net: I’m not going to argue the merits of Social Security and Medicare, insolvent as they are. What I will posit is that hunger is an incredible motivator. Inviting Environment: “If you build it, they will come.” Fairfield has made it’s bed by creating a hospitable environment for thugs and gang-bangers to thrive. Cheap housing dominated by Section 8 communities has led us to our misfortune. I’m sure I’ll receive some comments stating that “you don’t know what it’s like to be poor” or “dat’s rayciss.” My intent here is to be completely honest. In that vein, I’ll provide a little about myself. I was raised by a single mother. I grew up poor, in the same scenarios that our local youth’s find themselves. My mother instilled us with morals, ethics and integrity. We knew right from wrong because it was drilled into us. I’m positive that there are a lot of great single parents in the Black and Hispanic communities of Fairfield. The problem lies in that there are so many people in similar situations that are terrible parents. Your natural reaction to this post will most likely be to “close ranks” along racial lines. I’m not attempting to make this a racial issue. I’m trying to draw a distinction between honest, decent citizens, regardless of skin color, VS. a segment of our populace who refuse to acquiesce. Which side are you on?

• francisMay 01, 2014 - 8:38 am

Yours my friend. Our society has made too easy to do nothing. And give every excuse for being a non productive member of society. Bleeding heart liberals that just want to give, give, give. And the result is a generation that expects and does not earn. Well I'm tired of giving and being PC.

• CD BrooksMay 01, 2014 - 9:29 am

Francis, the whole "bleeding heart liberals" crap has pretty much been done. Are all cops liberals? NO! Judges? NO! Enforcement is the new magic word. It doesn't exist and it is the biggest problem we face as a town and a society. If you don't enforce you must endorse!

• FedUpMay 01, 2014 - 10:00 am

One of the biggest problems in our community are the anti abortion protestors and churches and facilities such as Alpha Pregnancy Clinic here in town. The "Pregnancy" clinic give the girls and young women pregnancy tests and give them baby clothes and send them on their way to raise these babies with no baby daddy, no education,and no jobs. The community is now dealing with their children. I believe in education (college and job training) and birth control. I and my daughter used birth control all through our college years and we both have masters degrees and professional careers.

• CD BrooksMay 01, 2014 - 10:18 am

FedUp, master's degrees? To think a simple little pill could do that wow! You must be really smart gals! ;)

• The SugarJarMay 01, 2014 - 10:54 am

:) Women having "permission" and access to appropriate birth control makes a big difference in their life options. For them and their family. So in a number of ways the ;) joke is just the truth. And I know you are a proponent, CD. One of the many things I appreciate about how you stand up!

• francisMay 01, 2014 - 8:55 am

As I was writing the above comment I was told 4 cars were broken into at little league game last night at Allen Witt Park. Stop the insanity!

• I'm From Fairfield TooMay 01, 2014 - 2:09 pm

• I'mMay 01, 2014 - 2:15 pm

Someone Missed Dr. Sanjay Gupta's two part Weed documentary! How could anyone deny that Marijuana doesn't have medicinal properties after hearing Charlotte Figi story. A 6 year old girls who was having 300 grand mal seizures a week! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IMfIQ_K6U

Suisun Valley celebrates appellation’s anniversary

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Suisun museum adds Japanese-American internment exhibit

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Beer for 1st butterfly of year challenge returns

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Fairfield firefighters save Christmas for family

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

SF Giants championship trophy coming to Vacaville

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Fire damages Fairfield home

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Car rolls over on Highway 113

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Fairfield man killed after family gathering in Napa

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: A4

USA Weekend magazine ceases publication

By Glen Faison | From Page: B6

Suisun City police log: Dec. 25, 2014

Fairfield police log: Dec. 25, 2014

Lawmakers promise to help strapped oil-patch towns

Feline fame in cyberspace gives species a boost

At 101, dedicated union rep is calling it quits

Can GOP shatter ‘Obama coalition’ in 2016?

GPS used to track some immigrants caught at border

A proud man, a good honorable man

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Community Calendar: Dec. 27, 2014

Anthony Davis, Roman meet over tweet

Cleveland reaches 50 years of sports futility

Games to Remember from 2014

Suns outlast Kings 115-106 for 5th straight win

La. Tech beats Illinois 35-18 in Heart of Dallas Bowl

Arizona’s Lindley back at starter, Stanton has infection

Prep JV boys basketball: Vanden gets win in Dixon tourney

Could Watt be 1st NFL MVP from defense since Taylor in 1986?

Dan Uggla joins Nationals for minor league deal

Georgia’s Richt: RB Todd Gurley heading to NFL

Slumping New Jersey Devils fire coach Pete DeBoer

No. 1 Kentucky, No. 4 Louisville resume rivalry

Raiders rookie CB makes most of opportunity

High-scoring offenses create longer college games

Anderson: post-game petulance was out of character

Chiefs QB Alex Smith out with lacerated spleen