Hazmat investigation leads to home evacuations

By From page A4 | May 31, 2014

31 Hazmat 1

Members of the Hazmat team are checked out following their examination of a mysterious container found on Barbour Drive Friday afternoon. (Amy Maginnis-Honey/Daily Republic.)

FAIRFIELD — Four houses were evacuated Friday afternoon in the 2000 block of Barbour Drive after a mysterious container was found in a driveway.

The landlord called authorities about 3 p.m. after learning his tenant had not put the container in the driveway.

Members of the hazardous materials team donned safety suits to procure a sample from the container, which was tested, and determined to be a benign substance, said John Sturdee, a battalion chief with the Fairfield Fire Department.

An ambulance was on hand as a precaution for the hazmat team, Sturdee said.

“We wanted to make sure there was no harmful chemicals,” Sturdee said. “The safest thing to do is to treat it as if there are.”

Members of the Travis Fire Department, Office of Emergency Services and Fairfield, Vallejo and Vacaville fire departments responded.

Traffic was rerouted on a portion of Barbour Drive during the incident.

Reach Amy Maginnis-Honey at 427-6957 or [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/amaginnisdr.

Amy Maginnis-Honey

Amy Maginnis-Honey

Amy Maginnis-Honey joined the staff of the Daily Republic in 1980. She’ll tell you she was only 3 at the time. Over the past three decades she’s done a variety of jobs in the newsroom. Today, she covers arts and entertainment and writes for the Living and news pages.

Discussion | 5 comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • Lactose IntoleranceMay 31, 2014 - 12:36 pm

    One of the neighbors said it looked like a gallon of Spoiled Milk? Separated with the creamy curdy goodness at the top. It was an extremely impressive response... I am glad the haz mat teams did not look in my fridge, as I had some moldy pizza still in the box and some questionable orange juice.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • UghMay 31, 2014 - 12:57 pm

    And if had been something and they didn't come out and someone got hurt you'd be the first one complaining that they didn't. Fire Department and Police just can't win with some people.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Lactose IntoleranceJune 01, 2014 - 1:34 am

    My goodness, I did not mean to imply that I did not appreciate the response... I said it was an extremely "impressive" response... We were having a Carnival at the school 1 block away from the Barbor address... So I was truly happy to see the jug be a Benign substance... I was just making a joke about my own 'single dad' fridge...

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • GemmaMay 31, 2014 - 11:07 pm

    Your name and post made me laugh. I read it, and pictured the spoiled milk twice :--)

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Lactose IntoleranceJune 01, 2014 - 1:36 am

    Gemma, you fell for the "creamy, curdy goodnes" haha

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.