Fairfield

Fraudulent calls demanding $2,000 continue in Solano County

By From page A3 | July 02, 2014

FAIRFIELD — Fraudulent calls continue from a person claiming to be with the Solano County Sheriff’s Office and telling citizens they must pay $2,000 after failing to appear for a grand jury summons, law enforcement and the Solano County Superior Court officials say.

Anyone who receives a phone call from someone demanding payment for an outstanding warrant should report the incident immediately to their local law enforcement agency as a crime, the sheriff’s office said. The calls appear to be coming from a phone number in the 707 area code.

The caller asks the citizen to place the required money on a reloadable, pre-paid Green Dot Visa, debit or Mastercard. The caller then asks the citizen for the 16-digit card number on the back of the Green Dot Card.

Investigators at the Solano County Sheriff’s Office are working to identify the person or persons responsible for making the calls. Citizens receiving these types of calls should attempt to save the phone number the call originates from and provide that phone number to law enforcement.

These phone calls are similar to calls that made in Ventura County in February and in Solano County in May.

The Solano County Sheriff’s Office does not call citizens who have outstanding warrants. The Solano County Sheriff’s Office would never call citizens and ask for any personal information or money, the office said in a news release.

Citizens should protect themselves and never give out personal information to anyone over the telephone or on the computer when prompted to do so. The Solano County Sheriff’s Office also encourages everyone to shred all documents containing personal information prior to placing them in the garbage.

Solano County Superior Court employees do not contact past or prospective jurors by telephone to request personal information or to collect money from them, the court said in a press release. Do not provide this information to anyone claiming to be associated with the courts, the press release added.
Contact Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or [email protected]

Ryan McCarthy

• The TruthJuly 01, 2014 - 8:35 am

Anyone who falls for this scam is a complete and utter idiot.

• Mike KirchubelJuly 01, 2014 - 9:01 am

I got a version of this scam a few months ago from some guy saying I'd won the Publisher's House Sweepstakes. All I had to do was go to Walmart or Walgreen's and buy one of these money cards with $500 dollars on it, call them back, tell them the code number on the back of the card, and they would put a million dollars on it. I was on my computer at the time and by the time he was explaining the "call them back with the number" part, I had Googled this and knew how the scam worked. When you give them the number on the back of the card, they can take all the money out and go on to their next sucker. I led them on for about an hour, saying I was going to Walmart, that I was sorry, but I couldn't find the card they were talking about, telling them I forgot the name of the money card, asking them questions, etc. I talked to several people, managers, supervisors, all thinking they had a live one on the line. I figured I was keeping them from calling someone else for a while, wasting their time. When I tired of the game, I told them that I knew all about their scam, explained it to them, and told them what I thought of them and what their mothers thought of them. Cheap entertainment for me, expensive for some other people.

• gemmaJuly 02, 2014 - 9:48 pm

Ahhh, that just made me LOL, picturing you stringing them along. How funny.

• The SugarJarJuly 02, 2014 - 10:25 pm

Yes, Mike, using your knowledge skills and abilities for good! Made me laugh too.

• Scam again...July 01, 2014 - 1:54 pm

There's another variant going around--got a call from someone who spoke very broken english, claiming to be from Microsoft. He said their servers were getting a lot of virus traffic from my computer. He really acted surprised when I told him I don't own a computer. Next thing I heard was a 'click'.

• JimboJuly 01, 2014 - 3:35 pm

The computer scam has also been around for a while. They try to get you to load a program from their fake website that claims to be able to 'fix' your computer. All it really is is a trojan virus that allows them control over your computer. Not only can they look at your emails and log into your bank account from your browser if you saved the passwords on it, but they also usually disable many essential functions of your computer that were not broken claiming the 'virus' must have done it. And they will allegedly fix that problem too if you would just sign up to their antivirus/antimalware fake service for way above the normal prices. (They have your computer locked down and know desperate people often agree to their extortion)

• BaseballmomJuly 02, 2014 - 7:57 am

I got that call too. What had me thinking it might actually be genuine was the guy's accent. Whenever I call Microsoft the guys and ladies all have that accent.... Quite clever.

• Mr. SmithJuly 02, 2014 - 8:43 am

Even the crooks are outsourcing their phone scammer jobs to India. Business decision.