FAIRFIELD — Firefighters saved a dog from choking Monday after the owner brought it to the station for help.
Firefighters at Station 40 heard a knock at the door and found a woman holding a small dog that was having breathing problems. The woman told the men her dog was choking on a bone.
Firefighters/Paramedics Casey Morse and Kyle Smith, along with Capt. Warren Ducioame, took the dog and assessed the situation. A rib bone was soon spotted stuck in the airway. They used Magill forceps, usually used to remove objects from the throats of humans, and successfully removed the bone, according to a press release.
The dog immediately reacted, becoming more alert and wagging his tail. The owner thanked the men and took the pet home.
Reach Danny Bernardini at 427-6935 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/dbernardinidr.