Fire at the Parkway Gardens Apartments complex

Firefighters regroup after containing a three alarm blaze that destroyed at least three units at the Parkway Gardens Apartments complex Friday afternoon in Fairfield. (Conner Jay/Daily Republic)


Fire guts 2 town houses, damages 4 others

By From page A1 | February 16, 2013

FAIRFIELD — A three-alarm fire gutted two town houses and damaged four other town houses Friday afternoon at the Parkway Gardens complex off of Dover Avenue.

An elderly woman, a Parkway Gardens resident for more than 28 years, said she smelled smoke and went to the back patio of her town house where she saw black smoke and flames on an outside wall.

A neighbor called 911 around 3:45 p.m. as residents fled the six-unit, two-story building.

Firefighters were still minutes away from the fire when they could see a column of thick black smoke rising into the afternoon sky, prompting a battalion chief to elevate the fire from a single alarm to a three-alarm fire.

When firetrucks pulled up to the building at the east side of the complex on Del Luz Court, flames were shooting out of two large windows and from rooftop vents.

As firefighters began pouring water onto the blaze, firefighters from Suisun City, Vacaville and Travis Air Force Base rushed to the fire. By the time the fire was largely under control around 4:15 p.m., 30 firefighters were helping fight and contain the blaze.

Flames spread into the attic space of three or four of the town houses, forcing firefighters to treat the fire in each unit as separate fires with eight teams of firefighters – one team inside each town house with a matching team on the roof of each town house.

The fire was declared contained at 4:40 p.m..

The cellulose ceiling insulation used by the builder in the attics burned stubbornly as the fire inside the town houses was doused. Fairfield Fire Capt. Matt Luckenbach said firefighters would be on the scene throughout the night to ensure that there were no flare-ups within the attic insulation.

There were no injuries, other than the elderly resident who was taken to a nearby hospital as a precaution due to possible smoke inhalation. The resident said her cat may have died in the fire.

The Red Cross is assisting residents displaced by the fire.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

Discussion | 3 comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • Nicole Delaune-ParkerFebruary 16, 2013 - 4:52 am

    Jess, When u print a story and pictures, please verify the persons name correctly! Her name is 'Terry'

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • GemmaFebruary 16, 2013 - 5:22 am

    This is so sad for the lady and her cat. I don't want to sound cruel,because she did lose everything,but when God closes a door he opens a window. Maybe this happened so she didn't have to live in that drug infested complex any longer.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • hmmFebruary 17, 2013 - 7:03 am

    Wonder if it is an electrical fire like we had there in November. They really need to look into the wiring on the whole complex.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2016 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.