FAIRFIELD — Firefighters quickly knocked down a fire that damaged a single-story Fairfield house on Friday east of the city’s auto mall.
The fire began about 2 p.m. at 2531 Marquette Court. Five Fairfield Fire Department engines, a battalion chief and a Cordelia Fire Protection District engine responded as the fire sent a choking smoke over the neighborhood.
Fairfield Fire Capt. Bobby Silva said the fire started in the back bedroom and began to get into the attic. He did not know the cause yet as he stood in front of the brown, stucco house while firefighters continued to mop up.
“We isolated it to that one area,” he said.
No one was home when the fire began and no one was injured, Silva said. Firefighters arrived to find very dark smoke coming from the front door, the garage and the side vents.
The house suffered extensive smoke damage. Silva said probably every wall is black.
The Pacific Gas & Electric Co. meter had been pulled from the exterior wall and Silva said the home had no electricity. Various neighbors said a man lived there and also said the house had no electricity.
Reach Barry Eberling at 427-6929 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/beberlingdr.