Saturday, December 20, 2014

Fairfield man dies, 2 passengers injured in Monday crash

Crash

Fairfield and Suisun firefighters work to remove a victim from a vehicle after it crashed into a road barrier on Cordelia Road in Fairfield, Monday. Three victims were taken to local area hospitals with life threatening injuries. (Daily Republic/Adam Smith)

From page A5 | January 22, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — A Fairfield man died Monday after he drove past warning signs on a closed portion of Cordelia Road and crashed into two concrete barriers just west of the railroad tracks, police said.

Two passengers from Vallejo were taken to hospitals with serious injuries.

Paul Yamot, 33, died at the hospital from his injuries after the crash, police said. One passenger was able to crawl out of the car. The Fairfield Fire Department had to extricate Yamot and another passenger.

The passengers, a 36-year-old Vallejo woman and a 37-year-old Vallejo man, are being treated for life-threatening injuries but were expected to recover, police said.

Fairfield police and firefighters responded at about 2:50 p.m. to the report of a major traffic accident on Cordelia Road near Hale Ranch Road and found the solo vehicle near the intersection. Sgt. Matt Bloesch said two front-seat air bags deployed.

The initial investigation shows the vehicle, a red 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage, was traveling west on Cordelia Road along a portion of the road that has been closed for the past few months for a construction project. Police said the driver drove past signs warning that the road was closed. Traffic was not affected since the road was closed in the crash area.

Members of the Police Department’s Traffic Unit and Investigations Division are working to determine the cause of the crash. Police at the scene said the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed at the time of the crash. Police in a Monday night update revised that assessment and said it was not known if speed or alcohol were involved.

Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call the Fairfield Police Department Traffic Unit at 428-7524, the 24-hour tip line at 428-7345 or Crime Stoppers at 644-7867. Callers may remain anonymous.

Amy Maginnis-Honey contributed to this report. Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or rmccarthy@dailyrepublic.net.

• AzzaJanuary 21, 2014 - 12:40 am

I find it utterly distasteful and am appalled that a photo of my cousin in this state would be posted in such a manner. Have some respect for the family and his loved ones.

• Denise JohnsonJanuary 21, 2014 - 12:41 am

I would appreciate it if you took my brother's picture off of here . THIS IS VERY DISTURBING & we (his own family) have no information & havent seen him yet & this is the first glance we see ? PUT YOURSELF in OUR shoes & tell me would you like to see your own SIBLING dead on the paper ! It's obvious you dont care about him or us, his family . ANYTHING to get a STORY right !

• elleryJanuary 21, 2014 - 12:51 am

I felt pictures were informative, But victims suffering was a little over the top. Last week was the detailed e=mail from the coroner about a homicide victim, now this. On a positive note, plenty of fire fighters helping these victims lets me know we are well taken care of in time of need. Thank you .

• Ms. YamotJanuary 21, 2014 - 12:44 am

Can you remove the picture of my brother laying lifeless on the gurney? Very appropriate for you guys to post a picture of a man who is deceased. The family appreciates the disrespect.

• Rita GoldenJanuary 21, 2014 - 3:05 am

I agree with the family members of this man in the photo. How distasteful for this to be posted in the paper. Is this what this newspaper has to resort to, to get readers' attention? I think not. I hope you apologize to the family.

• ConcernedJanuary 21, 2014 - 6:42 am

Please listen to the pleas of the family and remove this picture. How sad!

• Rich GiddensJanuary 21, 2014 - 6:57 am

What happens in the public domain stays in the public domain. Perhaps you Californians can tell us how your driver came to lose control over his vehicle and the facts and circumstances behind it. Let the young drivers see this sobering picture and wise up----driving is the most dangerous thing we do everyday. Daily Republic---please don't take the picture down.

• tinaJanuary 21, 2014 - 7:05 am

I find this photo very inappropriate and I'm not even related to the family! Is it not possible for you to report the facts of the event without sensationalizing it? My condolences to the family on their loss and for having to see this photo of their loved one. The Reporter use to report the facts of the news back when the Rico family owned it without this type of thing and we all understood when something horrible happened without inappropriate photos used.

• tinaJanuary 21, 2014 - 7:09 am

Btw..I do understand this isn't The Reporter I'm reading, but there use to be a thing called 'journalism' not ' sensationalism' and The Reporter was good at it. Just take the photo down out of respect.

• CD BrooksJanuary 21, 2014 - 7:26 am

There must be more to this story. Condolences to family and friends.

• Typical County WorkerJanuary 22, 2014 - 8:11 am

Did you look up court connect? You are probably correct.

• BriannaJanuary 21, 2014 - 7:35 am

It is extremely disrespectful, tactless and rude to me to post a photo like this, so I cannot imagine how the family must feel. For the sake of respect for the grieving and just general decency, I kindly request that you take this picture down and think about the types of photos you post in the future. Sometimes, there are more important things than getting a good story, especially when it is not just a story. These are people's lives.

• Christine in FFJanuary 21, 2014 - 8:14 am

This is journalism~ it consists of the good, the bad and the ugly. Saddening that this happened. CD, you're right.

• MelindaJanuary 21, 2014 - 8:14 am

I understand we live in a society where people think gruesome is great and I also respect your position of wanting to sell more news or maybe win that picture of the year award. But when the family of the victim pleads with you to take the picture out of the paper then you need to have the decency to do it. I don't know the victim but that picture was upsetting to me I can only imagine how the family feels seeing that picture

• BrianJanuary 21, 2014 - 8:50 am

I was there and just so you know he was not deceased at the time of this picture. He was alive so they did not take pictures of him deceased. I will back the daily republic 100% How are they suppose to know he would die at the hospital?

• Christine in FFJanuary 21, 2014 - 9:02 am

In that pic he's holding onto the FF leg. I don't see this as a disturbing picture. He doesn't even look badly injured. When I saw it last night, I was under the impression that this man was the one that survived. The DR can't know the ultimate outcome.

• CD BrooksJanuary 21, 2014 - 3:57 pm

Christine, I agree with your comment 100% In fact, I was going to leave a similar one but didn't want to appear insensitive. Thank you for taking the lead on that!

• Christine in FFJanuary 21, 2014 - 5:31 pm

Uhhh, You're welcome, CD? I think.

• CD BrooksJanuary 21, 2014 - 6:04 pm

Christine in FF, sorry. No, I didn't mean it in a bad way.

• Christine in FFJanuary 21, 2014 - 7:09 pm

CD, When put into those terms, kinda made me feel a little insensitive. After rereading my comment, I didn't feel insensitive. No apology needed. :)

• Christine in FFJanuary 21, 2014 - 9:00 am

Kudos to the DR for having enough compassion to remove the pic at the request of his family. Although you certainly didn't have to, that shows professional journalism as much as catching a prize winning picture. Well done!

• cindy paceJanuary 21, 2014 - 11:12 am

a picture is worth a thousand words I'm sorry someone died this man. not a young adult chose to take his own life and his passengers life,and speed down a1/4 mile road .that has become a racetrack since it was put in. i live on that road and i saw the accident. the dead end block was moved 5feet he was driving reckless.i want to give a hand to all the emergency staff you all did a great job (fyi the man in the picture was still alive when he was cut out of the car)

• sammyJanuary 21, 2014 - 1:14 pm

this is so sad y would they put this on here.just so wrong respects to the fam.

• Typical County workerJanuary 21, 2014 - 3:23 pm

How many fire departments responded? In the picture that was put back up, I saw Fairfield, Suisun, Orinda/Moraga and looks like someone from another department (yellow turnouts).

• anonymousJanuary 21, 2014 - 5:09 pm

So 33 die due to an accident. Sweet glad you're ok Paul

• BrianJanuary 21, 2014 - 5:20 pm

Great job to whoever was the first unit at scene. Those 3 guys seemed to know exactly what to do. They had everything set up and ready to help in no time. Great job firefighters. I believe it was a rescue from suisun district.

• cindy paceJanuary 21, 2014 - 9:00 pm

looks like one rescuer was from orinda/ moraga at the scene he may of been off duty most of the rescuers were from fairfield ffd and suisun fire came, anyways it was a sorry day for all families and all who were their (.all emergency responders did a great job)

• Denise Johnson (his youngest sister)January 21, 2014 - 11:39 pm

To everyone who commented on this & agreed with my family & I's decision to take the photo down . BUT to everyone else who has their own opinion about this needs to watch their mouth . THIS WAS MY BROTHER who died . he may not have been dead when the picture was taken but it was still not right to post it . I'm glad the DR took the picture down . BUT in respect to my brother , my only brother, please don't speak on anythinf you dont know about . There is way more to the story than anyone knows .

• Blanca BotwinJanuary 22, 2014 - 9:10 am

Look Denise, your brother CHOSE to drive recklessly, on a PUBLIC street, with other people in the car. YOU, nor no one else, can expect for the public to not comment on this story, just because it may not be something you want to hear. Maybe the firefighter, whose leg your brother was holding onto, didn't want to be the last person touched by your brother before he passed, but the ff didn't get that choice. Maybe the people in the car didn't want to crash into a barrier, but they didn't get that choice. If you're going to be so sensitive and territorial about this story, maybe you shouldn't read the comments, and if there's so much more that we don't know about, why don't you share that with us?

• Stephanie JohnsonJanuary 25, 2014 - 10:59 pm

EXCUSE ME MISS BIANCA. You used google and found out what exactly? That he did all of these things. But did you know he was the only brother of five kids? That he had a kid who he adored? That whenever his mother was in NEED of anything, he broke his back to get it! Did google tell you how much he did for his FAMILY? No ! Speaking as one of his Younger sisters it disgusts me to even see your comment to my youngest sister Denise and my Oldest Maritony. I understand that you are voicing your opinion not know what you are talking about NOR recognizing who your talking about but you should have done your research my dear. My family and I still very much grieving my BROTHER'S (PAUL YAMOT) death and to get on the article and see your dumb inaccurate comments yet again not just disgusts me but disgusts my WHOLE FAMILY. Watch your mouth and your comments about who you know nothing about.

• Blanca BotwinFebruary 09, 2014 - 8:30 am

Girl BYE. Have many seats. Your family situation, your brothers kid,have NOTHING to do with his actions that day.Everyone has a family.What does that have to do with him living a life of crime, up until the day he died?

• Stephanie (Paul's Little Sister)January 25, 2014 - 11:15 pm

ATTN: IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT AND WHO YOUR TALKING ABOUT HAVE A SEAT! Looking on GOOGLE and researching my brothers name will only get you soo far !

• Blanca BotwinFebruary 09, 2014 - 8:35 am

Well good thing there's always COURT CONNECT. I don't need to know anything other than what I see in this article, and what I read on Court Connect. Wasn't he involved in a court case while he was speeding down the road into barriers? Arrested on a felony in June13,then July 13 files a claim to get his money back that was seized during his arrest. Hmmm, can we say drug money? Was he not in court the week before this incident? Yes, wonderful LAW ABIDING citizens go to court,then the following week drive their cars into barriers. SMDH now go put your head back under the rock, so you don't have to deal with reality.

• benFebruary 09, 2014 - 8:58 am

Damn Blanca. Is your life so sad you have nothing better to do than speak ill of the dead and try to hurt a grieving family. At least paul was a loving and kind individual, something you clearly have no idea about. I feel sorry for you that this is the best yo know how to do, and im shaking my dam head at at your parents that they were unable or didnt care enough to teach you any better. We can only pray for you that one day you might learn some manners or find some peace, because clearly you must have a miserable life to go out of your way trying to spread unhappiness to a grieving family.

• Maritony YamotJanuary 21, 2014 - 11:52 pm

Well, we thank all the rescuer and for all the things they have done during the accident. We don't know the cause of his death and we are unable to see my brother until the funeral. We do not want to see his face on the paper. Specially if we are trying to find out if he died due to heart attack, car Jack, some sort of robbery, and so many different reason... But I know the TRUTH will be revealed when all investigations finalized. At this point DR removed the picture of my brother and that shows us that the photo was inappropriate & very disrespectful to the us(the family & community that cares for him) that have not seen him since the accident. And we still have to reveal this news to my his kids & google has the photo on their search engine under my brother's name. ***If you read this article, you will see that they claimed his dead*** So please know that he is not an ordinary man but a great man who serve his life to the fullest to give and share everything he ever has:)

• FairfieldianJanuary 22, 2014 - 10:34 am

They got why they deserved. That road has been closed for months an there are warning signs all over the road. You would have to intentionally try to bypass all the concrete barriers in order to drive on that road. The driver was driving wrecklessly and put lives in danger for no reason. Good riddance.

• Maritony Yamot (Paul's big sister)January 25, 2014 - 11:19 am

Someone or something promt my brother to do it... The question is, where is the 4th person that was in the car that the eye witness saw ran out the car after the accident (before the cops got there)???

• truthFebruary 05, 2014 - 2:10 pm

Just so yall know the female passenger and fam is sayin that Paul made her take drugs. Watch out for that female passenger cuz they got the wrong idea they tryna do yall dirty talkin bout $$$. Just sayin.

• AceJanuary 22, 2014 - 10:49 am

Rest in peace Paul My condolence to the family.

• RalphJanuary 22, 2014 - 4:30 pm

I still dont get it, this wreck is no single car accident??..lifes not a game, this is a example why.

• Christine in FFJanuary 22, 2014 - 5:16 pm

Enlighten us Ralph, was there more than one car involved in the crash? That is what a "single" car accident means.

• JustlistenJanuary 22, 2014 - 4:47 pm

I sincerely feel sadness for the family and friends left behind... it will be interesting to hear from the survivors of what was going on in the car prior to the crash. It appears Mr. Yamot lived the fast life, caught up in the system, still representing a "thug" type lifestyle (or so it appears) so who knows why he made such a fatal choice. Who knows, he could be a victim of something. Hopefully DR will update the story as it unfolds. Although I have no compassion for any thug type, my condolences to his family and friends who loved him. I can relate to a loss of a loved one...most of us can.

• Jene' PhelpsJanuary 22, 2014 - 7:34 pm

To those of you leaving rude remarks you should be ashamed of yourselves! You do not know what happened....you are truly heartless that's all I have to say about that! To Paul's family I just want to send my deepest condolences to you! I didn't know paul for very long but he was such a nice man! I pray for you all during this difficult time!! Sending hugs your way and god bless you!!

• benJanuary 22, 2014 - 7:28 pm

This was my friend for half my life. One my longest friends. He was family. My kids called him uncle. He had such a good heart. Paul will be deeply missed. I pray for all his family to find peace. Much love paul

• HEROJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:34 pm

First of all wanted to extend my fullest sympathy to the family members my heart goes to you loosing a family member on this difficult times. Paul left behind,his 4 sister's and mother with a baby girl,and I believe another baby about to come. He or she might not be able to got to know his or her daddy. I know Paul for quite a long time as well as Sheryl the other passenger on the car. Their were my friends. I dont have anything againts daily republic reporting journalism. it's investigative reporting everyone wanted to know the facts what trully happened that day. Paul i know your with our God now. I always tell you this when were saying goodbye to each other "one love homie" this time i never got a chance to say goodbye to you. My Prayer Heavenly father you need to see that life is not always perfect. We will not always get what we want. And though it hurts a lot. What shoundn't happened happened. Whatever thrown you off course will always bring you to where it is you need to be for Sheryl and Cain we also pray for your fast recovery in Jesus Christ name . AMEN

• bbJanuary 26, 2014 - 1:08 am

Since you know all people who were in the car... What do you think they were doing there?

• HEROJanuary 26, 2014 - 3:35 pm

I know Sheryl Eugenio,Paul Yamot, as a friend but Yancy Cain I don't know him. What they doing on that road. Why dont you ask the survivors. Sheryl and Yancy they might have an specific information what they doing there...I dont have a clue for what ever reason besides travelling.

• JT DelaPeñaJanuary 27, 2014 - 2:12 pm

Paul looked out for me and had my back when nobody else would, simply because he was being compassionate towards a fellow Filipino. It is pretty sad that hypocrites sit here and dig around his past, just to have something to rage about on a thread like this. I suggest if people want to talk poorly about somone they never knew, then its a shame that this accident happened to him and not you...you will be missed like the big brother I never had. RiP... From Your friend Tizzle.

• CarolynJanuary 22, 2014 - 7:59 pm

Many will leave comments/opinions with what they see based on the photos and some of what they read and I understand. Here' a message for those who left rude comments and being disrespectful to the family. Have you considered about putting yourself in Mr. Yamot's family? How would you feel if someone in your family was in a fatal accident and the first notification that you received is when you READ the article that he DIED and see a photo of him before his passing.Would you react the same way as Mr. Yamot's family? The family loss a loved one despite of what public has to say. At this time I am asking the PUBLIC for the family to show some "RESPECT" and "COMPASSION" as any family need at this hard moments. Breaking news/journalism whatever it is, has to be reported to the public and I get it,but when does is it become too much that people's comments actually hurts the family instead of showing their support in this time. Think about it! Read the article and look at photos. Did your parent's teach you MANNERS? "If you do not have anything to say, don't write or say anything at all!" Rest in peace PAUL YAMOT! ~Kayro

• CarolynJanuary 22, 2014 - 8:22 pm

Many will leave comments/opinions with what they see based on the photos and some of what they read and I understand. Here' a message for those who left rude comments and being disrespectful to the family. Have you considered about putting yourself in Mr. Yamot's family? How would you feel if someone in your family was in a fatal accident and the first notification that you received is when you READ the article that he DIED and see a photo of him before his passing.Would you react the same way as Mr. Yamot's family? The family loss a loved one despite of what public's negative comments has to say. At this time I am asking the PUBLIC for the family to show some "RESPECT" and "COMPASSION" as any other family needs at this hard moments. Breaking news/journalism whatever it is, has to be reported to the public and I get it,but when does is it become too much that people's comments actually hurts the family instead of showing their support at this time. Think about it! Read the article and look at photos. Did your parent's teach you MANNERS? "If you do not have anything NICE to say, don't write or say anything at all!" Rest in peace PAUL YAMOT! ~Kayro

• CarolynJanuary 23, 2014 - 7:47 pm

Blanca, you are arguing with the wrong person. I have manners and I use it wisely, unlike other people. Public has their own opinion but have you READ my previous comment? If not please re-READ and you should be able to understand what I clearly stated and my point,I do not have to repeat myself. I have respect and compassion for others going through when their loved one passed on no matter what circumstance it may be, even if I do not know the person. Why must you attack people? Have you ever have family problems that you OPENLY told the public? How would that affect you ? Demoralizing someone is NOT what I do, like what I said,think about it and show some respect for the family.

• HEROJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:45 pm

Blanca nobody's perfect ok everyone in our lives commited mistakes somewhat,somehow.I dont know about you maybe your perfect Whatever reason it may be let's leave the family grief for their loss.

• Maritony Yamot (Paul's big sister)January 25, 2014 - 11:40 am

Blanca, I would like to let you know that I NEVER charge my brother for domestic violence. He has keys to all the places I ever lived and sometimes my brothers stop by to just cook for me... People sometimes wonder why a 34yrs old woman cannot cook... You know why? I am spoiled from my brother. I ALWAYS KNOW I CAN COUNT ON HIM. I am so blessed to have had him in my life. I don't think I could have finished college without his help. And even though I finished high school and moved on with my career, my brother still manage to help and served our city without recognition. This what he is known for. We have many testimonies about how good my brother is. Did you know how many Apartments, Rental Homes, and Trailer Homes that my brother had given up or open for many people who needed help? He loves to help and he shared everything he had. He is a family guy and a very good friend- a true friend. My brother gave his life to the Lord in 2007, and I gave mine in 2009, and then we both got baptized last year with my mother and sister, Denise... I know that all the things that happened to my brother that caused him to go to prison for several months & not even that long... Has been forgiven by God.

• theVJanuary 26, 2014 - 1:15 am

Sounds like your brother was a very nice, decent, church-going man. Sorry for your loss. What was he doing with those other people in the car? Was he friends with them? Because from the way you describe him, he sounds very different from the passengers. Do you think he was there by choice?

• Maritony Yamot (Paul's big sister)January 25, 2014 - 11:43 am

Blanca I hope you know that one time my brother was in prison and the court thought he was illegal immigrant, lol! They released him from prison after they found out they made a mistake & he has all the legal paperwork to stay... The recent court dates was another mistake and the court promised to give his money back this coming Feb 9th... And if you have any more questions or concerns please ask before you put our business on blast, my contact: Paul.memorial@yahoo.com

• Solano County ResidentJanuary 23, 2014 - 8:46 am

Wow. Blanca why don't you tell us why Paul did all those things.. You seem to know everything.. How are you going put this family's business on blast like that.. That was a very low blow to a family that is grieving.. Paul was no saint!! But that doesn't mean you can totally disrespect him or his family.. All the family asked was to remove the picture that showed his face. It was very disturbing to me! They never said don't report the news.

• DUHJanuary 26, 2014 - 11:15 am

Umm, Solano County Resident... He was kind of a saint. Didn't you read the older sister's (Maritony) description of him above? So, yeah, regardless of this man's extensive record, HE WAS A SAINT. Hello?! Get it right!

• Solano County ResidentJanuary 26, 2014 - 11:29 am

Duh you must be bored.. No one is a saint.. His sister is focusing on the positive impact that Paul had in the community.. She never said he was a saint.. A lot people are googling and commenting on his negative faults.. Like his sisters said if you don't know sit down..

• DUHJanuary 26, 2014 - 12:06 pm

Hahaha! You don't understand. He obviously was a saint! Like you said, he had such a POSITIVE IMPACT ON THE COMMUNITY. Felony-shmelony!

• DUHJanuary 26, 2014 - 12:16 pm

I hope community leaders, law enforcement, organizations that serve the community and other members of the public (other than members of the victim's family) will start sharing stories of the victim's service and positive impact on the community! Please, I urge you all to share! It would be nice for everyone to see instead of all the negative things that are clearly FALSE.

• cindy paceJanuary 23, 2014 - 10:24 am

ok everbody stop it if this man has a history he may of paid do you want me to describe the car scene you would not like to know your family member ended up that way let him rest and let the family move on

• North BayJanuary 24, 2014 - 12:36 am

Sheryl Eugenio and Yancy Cain were the passengers who survived. Ask them what really happened... If you can get the truth out of them.

• HEROJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:49 pm

Sheryl is she going to recover?

• friendJanuary 24, 2014 - 2:35 pm

Yeah she okay. Still in hospital.

• HEROJanuary 24, 2014 - 2:15 pm

Paul (ton ton) I can't help my tears start falling from my eyes. If you can read this message from up above. I wanted to say goodbye my friend. I still recall those days in Suisun we used to hang out sleeping in the opposite side of the couch. You have been a brother, and a friend to me. You will be forever in my memory and in my heart. Farewell my homie "one love"

Creche collection grows in size, popularity

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Handmade Christmas display is man’s labor of love

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Company competition a big win for charity

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Meeting a great role model at any age

By Murray Bass | From Page: B5

Fairfield police log: Dec. 18, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 18, 2014

Weather for Dec. 20, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B12

Hospital to pay $2.2M to settle false claims

Napolitano named as UC public policy professor

Man shocked 20 times during jail booking sues

Notorious California graffiti suspect arrested

Island park in San Francisco Bay closed for weekend

No harm caused by flames at Northern California refinery

Wetter than usual start to new year in California predicted

Animal rights activists take California rodeo to court

California’s bullet train settles 1 of 7 lawsuits

Tuskegee Airman Lowell Steward dies in California at 95

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Bush officials gave CIA wide latitude

Theater shooter’s parents plead for his life

Driver pleads not guilty in pedestrian deaths

2012 movie massacre hung over ‘Interview’ decision

Sony on shelving ‘The Interview': ‘We had no choice’

Obama says North Korea hacked Sony, vows response

AP Interview: Coelho says Sony hack threatens all

5 ways to make your email safer in case of a hack attack

Celebrities react to latest Sony hack developments

Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4 deaths

Supreme Court won’t stop gay marriages in Florida

Staples: Customer data exposed in security breach

Lava could reach Hawaii shopping center in 8 days

Jury rules for Indiana woman in firing over IVF

Bergdahl investigation wraps up; top leaders get briefings

Texas eatery worker gets mink coat from customer

Sugarland, promoter settle with state fair victims

NY police officer suspended after videotaped punch

Franciscan religious order in ‘grave’ financial crisis

Australian woman arrested in deaths of 8 children

Israel carries out airstrike on Hamas site in Gaza

Pakistan executes militants and bombards tribal areas

Yes, Virginia, the Santa wish list has gone digital

By Petula Dvorak | From Page: A8

Editorial Cartoon: Dec. 20, 2014

If you want to help the poor, fix the safety net

By Jim Tankersley | From Page: A8

Community Calendar: Dec. 20, 2014

Today in History: Dec. 20, 2014

Pampered pets that don duds move to the mainstream

Children from wife’s first marriage put father’s ashes in coffin

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B11

Horoscopes: Dec. 20, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B11

More than 4 million people watched 1st dog telethon

Kim Jong Un game spoof ‘Glorious Leader!’ moving forward

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Marathon bombing survivor in ‘Yes to Dress’ finale

Kid Rock to perform pre-race concert at Daytona 500

Actor Stephen Collins denies he’s a pedophile in interview

Dodge, Vaca grad Mason lead Southern Oregon to NAIA title

Raiders haven’t needed much from Janikowski

AP sources: Peavy agrees on $24M, 2-year deal with Giants

Rookie receivers making their mark in NFL

Former boxing champ Ernie Terrell dies at 75

Gold medalist Phelps pleads guilty to DUI, avoids jail time

Dodgers end Yanks’ payroll streak, owe most tax

FIFA will not reopen 2018 and 2022 World Cup votes

Howe’s family reports rapid improvement

2 Armstrong associates settle lawsuit with Landis

Rays, Padres, Nats complete 11-player trade involving Myers

Vanden girls open Nike TOC with win on Arizona

Things to know about Friday’s baseball news

Cal men beat Eastern Washington 78-67 for seventh straight win

CIF football bowl games headed to Sacramento

This date in sports history for Saturday, Dec. 20, 2014

California unemployment rate dips to 7.2 percent

Chrysler gives in to gov’t, expands air bag recall

T-Mobile paying at least $90M for unwanted services

EPA sets first national standard for coal waste

Sales for holiday shopping season comes down to the wire

Dominic C. Scolaro