Fairfield house fire guts kitchen, attic
FAIRFIELD — The remnants of a roof sat piled in the driveway after an early-morning fire damaged a home on the 200 block of Holly Drive.
Fairfield fire officials said two or three people were at the home about 10:24 a.m. Sunday when hot oil in a pan ignited, catching the cabinets on fire. The fire quickly spread from the kitchen to the attic of the one-story home.
Because insulation and metal roofing material created difficult firefighting conditions, responders had to strip the roof to contain the fire.
The blaze was under control about 30 minutes later. The kitchen and attic suffered major heat, smoke and water damage.
Three engines, one truck and the battalion chief remained at the scene for about 4 hours for extensive overhaul and salvage work.
The residents had evacuated and covered the roof with a tarp before a rain shower Sunday afternoon.
One firefighter was taken to NorthBay Medical Center for a minor illness, according to Fairfield fire officials. None of the residents were injured.
Reach Heather Ah San at 427-6977 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/HeatherMalia.
Debris sits in the driveway of a house on Holly Drive in Fairfield Sunday afternoon. A fire damaged the residence early Sunday morning. (Daily Republic-Adam Smith)
Heather Ah San
Heather Ah San covers Rio Vista, features and general news for the Daily Republic. She received her bachelors of art degree from the University of Oregon.