FAIRFIELD-SUISUN, CALIFORNIA
Utah Street Fire 01

Fairfield firefighters prepare to enter a home that caught fire on the 1200 block of Utah Street, Tuesday. (Mike Corpos/Daily Republic)

Fairfield

Fire guts Fairfield home

By From page A9 | March 12, 2014

FAIRFIELD — Fire consumed a home late Tuesday on the 1200 block of Utah Street.

Neighbors called emergency crews at 9:59 p.m. to report hearing a loud bang before seeing the fire, said Matt Luckenbach, battalion chief with the Fairfield Fire Department.

Once fire crews arrived – the fire was two blocks from the nearest fire station – they found the garage of the home fully involved in flame, Luckenbach said.

He called the fire a modified one-alarm blaze. He said he summoned engine companies from all five city fire stations as a precaution, given the steady and sometimes strong breeze in town Tuesday night.

The fire initially threatened other structures, Luckenbach said, but crews were able to keep the fire from spreading beyond the one home.

As crews battled the sometimes stubborn flames, neighbors looked on in shock while the neighborhood filled with smoke.

It was too soon to even guess at a cause, Luckenbach said, but crews were to remain on site to investigate.

As far as he knew, Luckenbach said no one was in the house, but as firefighters cut through the roof to release some heat, others prepared to enter the home to do a more thorough check.

With 15 firefighters plus one reserve firefighter and Luckenbach on hand, the battalion chief had to call in help from other departments to cover the city.

He said Vacaville, Suisun City and Cordelia Fire Protection District crews were on standby in case anything else happened.

Police scanner radio traffic put the fire under control at 10:44 p.m.

Reach Mike Corpos at 427-6979 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/mcorposdr.

LEAVE A COMMENT

Discussion | 4 comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • JessicaMarch 12, 2014 - 8:50 am

    A friend of mine lives across the street at reports that the people there were running a meth house from this location. Also, stated that people were home but got out without injury.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Damone martinMarch 12, 2014 - 1:18 pm

    Did we really need yo know they was running a meth house

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • patrickMarch 12, 2014 - 2:34 pm

    I would guess you are into meth damone

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Damone martinMarch 13, 2014 - 12:04 am

    Never that pat! If it was that big of a concern the neighbors should have did something "BEFORE" the house caught on fire and put everybody lives at risk...

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.