Thursday, October 23, 2014

Dead body found in bushes off West Texas Street

From page A3 | November 13, 2011 |

FAIRFIELD — A woman driving on West Texas Street, who stopped to secure a loose dog early Sunday afternoon, stumbled upon a dead man’s body in the nearby bushes.

Fire, police and the coroner’s office responded to the scene across the street from the transportation center off Beck Avenue.

The deceased appeared to be a transient, said Sgt. Dean Pilchur, of the Fairfield Police Department.  The death appeared to be from natural causes as no evidence of foul play was found, Pilchur added.

The body was transported to the coroner’s office.

Reach Amy Maginnis-Honey at 427-6957 or amaginnis@dailyrepublic.net.

Amy Maginnis-Honey

Amy Maginnis-Honey

Amy Maginnis-Honey joined the staff of the Daily Republic in 1980. She’ll tell you she was only 3 at the time. Over the past three decades she’s done a variety of jobs in the newsroom. Today, she covers arts and entertainment and writes for the Living and news pages.

• Rich GiddensNovember 13, 2011 - 8:05 pm

Nothing like stumbling upon a dead human body in the course of one's day. Happens to everybody during the course of their lifetime. When we lived in Turkey I found a bunch of skeletal remains in the attic of our rental home. Apparently, the last tenant had gone down to the World War 1 battlefield at Gallipoli / Chanakkale and had just scooped up remains (the Turks didn't bury their war dead) and placed them in several bags. I stumbled upon the macabre scene by accident when I went up to the attic to check on a water supply problem. I shined a flashlight across the attic and found myself staring at a human skull. Being a mischevious teenager, I scooped up the skull, descended the access ladder and yelled for my sister to come out of her bedroom. Placing the skull behind my back, I taunted my sister and then thrust the skull towards her----THERE! I spent the rest of the day chasing my sisters around the house with the skull as they screamed in terror. My parents were gone, so then I got creative. I went and got a hack saw and sawed off the top of the skull, placed a candle in it and then hung it in the hallway. When my parents got home, boy were they p*ss*ed! We had to get an Air Force doctor to come over and take custody of the remains and get them out of the house. I saw the same thing happen to a friend of mine in South Carolina. They were stumbling along in the boonies near Edisto Island and found a skeletal remain. Incredibly, they did the same thing----sawed the top of the skull off and used it as a candle holder!

• The SugarJarNovember 13, 2011 - 10:32 pm

May he rest in peace.

• Christine in FFNovember 13, 2011 - 10:53 pm

Wow! My kids and I were going to Target and we were stopped at the light right there at Beck and West Texas. We saw the dog on the sidewalk and also the woman's car stopped in the right lane. She got out~she walked towards the dog~ then my light turned green so we went on our way. When we came out from shopping~ there were fire trucks, cops and yellow tape. They were in the process of clearing the scene~ taking down the tape and the fire truck was pulling off. We were shocked. My initial thought was that she got hit by a car but her car was gone. Then my son said maybe they found a dead body in the bushes. I said no way. I told him if that was the case I would think they would be investigating much longer than the hour we were in the store. I decided to check the DR before going to bed and I read this. Holy moly. I bet the dog on the sidewalk was the man's dog. It was just sitting there all calm and not even flinching. I though for sure it might dart out into the street but nope~ just sat there right in front of the bushes. I hope the dog is taken care of and may the man rest in peace.

• annonNovember 14, 2011 - 7:10 am

Yah

• LilNovember 14, 2011 - 10:26 am

What an awful way to die, alone and in the bushes. I hope this man finds peace in the next life that he could not find in this one.

• antonio cruzNovember 14, 2011 - 10:47 am

WOW Rich, you mean some how the SPD is not responsible for that???

• big artNovember 14, 2011 - 12:32 pm

i live in fairfield an too me im not surprised theres a body cuz wats its become, people have been shot in my neighborhood an bodys either been found or hidden in the creek bye meadowlark, plus last time there were bodys bein found bye armijo high, i really dont believe there has been 7 muders this year cuz the ambulence is always picking up someone so i drove bye it people were jus ridin bye it, deadbodys are usual in fairfield, if u live on the ghetto side of this city

• Body found on W. Texas?November 14, 2011 - 6:24 pm

I'm a little worried... We haven't heard from Mr. Fix Fairfield.org today...maybe the west texas revitalization not happening caused him to have a meltdown!

• FF64November 14, 2011 - 6:31 pm

The deceased was a local homeless ex-felon. Sad, but the way he chose to live for the past several years...

• LocalNovember 14, 2011 - 7:46 pm

I too drove by & saw the lady pulled off to the side with the dog. I recognized the dog & thought of the homeless guy associated with it. White guy with curley brown hair in his late thirties & hang around Beck Ave. & Allen Witt. Is that the guy 64?

• Christine in FFNovember 14, 2011 - 7:43 pm

Was it the guy with the dog that was always at the Beck ave. entrance to Target?

• annonNovember 15, 2011 - 7:04 am

that's why i earlier said Yah FF64. He won't be a burden on this city anymore. I know for some of you this sounds like I'm mean, but some people in this world are just a burden on society.

• maeNovember 15, 2011 - 7:11 am

Oh wow. Sad that who ever this person was had to die on the streets. Im wondering if it was Sarge the hat tipper guy at target or was it the blonde fella that rides his bike and has his dog in a trailer behind him. Could have been the other guy with the tan and white pitbull? Im familliar with the homeless in that particular area. Guess Ill know by the days end after running my errands

• DMM OklahomaNovember 15, 2011 - 9:08 am

Thank God He sees us the same in His eyes, He is not a respecter of persons. He is willing to forgive all those that come to Him. Jesus died on the cross for the homeless addict, the rich king and everyone in between. I am glad that only God will be my Judge , I am a sinner deserving of Hell but He sees me through the blood that Jesus shed for me. If you believe that gift is also available to you. After working with many addicts and thieves and prostitutes etc for many years in Solano County I saw many people that were saved by God's Grace. I hope the deceased had come to believe as well !!!

• Rita GoldenNovember 15, 2011 - 11:16 pm

Amen!

• SavetheRepublicNovember 16, 2011 - 1:29 pm

Amen!

• misti crockerNovember 15, 2011 - 10:27 pm

this mans name was logan biles, he was homeless yes. you should know he had 28 years clean and sober. he was a very kind person who was suffering from the very circumstances of any man in a home except he had humbleness and a great heart. unfortunately he was recently unable to bewith anyone at this time because he had a gift for anyone in his presence he shared his kindness and gave to all as much as he had.i was one of the previous owners of the dog found that day. his name is trouble, but really gives you none. logan called him t-rex. in a recent accident logan broke his leg and couldnt get to the hospital and was left outside until an ambulance came 2 days later. he asked the friend whom also used to care for trouble paul anderson if he could care for him while he got better.as always he welcomed the dog as if he were never gone.(by the way paul and susie are the ones who blessed trouble with logan and vice versa.) while it had been a couple weeks and another animal had contracted parvo, to prevent the risk of trouble becoming sick logan left with him about a week ago. to my surprise i am so deeply sorry that he wasnt able to know how much he really did and what warmth he shared through the friendships he shared.we will miss you dearly. trouble is home now he was picked up today as soon as we heard and he is home to stay.he loves you and we carry you in our hearts

• Kim StatonNovember 16, 2011 - 1:17 pm

Thank you for the background of this man. I also saw the dog and the girl stop to help him. And then later, I saw the coroner examining his body on the side of the road. I was so sad. I am so glad Trouble still has a place to call home. And it is my prayer that Logan died peacefully and painlessly. You never know the history of someones life. Thats why we ought not to judge anyone at all. I dont care if a homeless guy buys alcohol with the money I give him. That may be the way he keeps warm at night. I encourage you all to please continue to help the homeless if you can. Let God decide if the way they spend the money is wrong. Thanks again, Misti, for the insight.

• LilNovember 15, 2011 - 10:52 pm

I think I know this guy. I grew up with him in Suisun. His dad and mine were very good friends. His dad ran a thrift/junk store on Main Street in Suisun in the 70s. The Biles were a group of really nice people. When I was 10, my mom was in the hospital during my birthday and my dad had no clue that it was my birthday. I had to run errands with him and we stopped by Mr Biles' store. Mr Biles noticed me looking kind of down and asked what was wrong. I told him my family had forgotten my birthday and he said that I could have anything I wanted in the store. I chose a wood chest that I would use to lock my good toys away from my sister. I had that chest for 20 years, until I gave it to my nephews. Every time I opened it, I thought of Mr Biles. It really saddens me that Logan died that way. He was a kid from school, it seems like just yesterday. I will keep his family in my prayers and I hope that Logan finds happiness wherever he is.

• PinkNovember 16, 2011 - 4:08 pm

thank-you Misti for giving this man a background and a name. It's nice to know this man was a living human being and not just homeless. I'm Glad the pup has a new-old home. I hope Logan is at rest now.

Children run for the sake of running

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Suisun City streets: Better than Vallejo, worse than Dixon

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Day of Remembrance focuses on domestic violence prevention

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3 | Gallery

60th Air Mobility Wing gets outstanding unit award

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Real McCoy ferry to shut down Thursday

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3

Nairobi, oldest giraffe at Six Flags, dies

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Audubon group to offer wetlands walk, bird workshop

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A4

Trailer rolls, knocks down pole, damages roadway

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A4

Bridge to Life gets extension for temporary kitchen

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A5

Pumpkin bob set at Fairfield city pool

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A5

Fairfield police log: Oct. 21, 2014

Suisun City police log: Oct. 21, 2014

Canada’s PM says shooting rampage was terrorism

California malpractice cap generates big spending

Huge gold nugget going up for sale in California

Healdsburg bans tobacco sales to anyone under 21

Davis votes to return armored vehicle

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Study looks at lane splitting in California

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

125 San Francisco inmates to get computer tablets

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Social Security benefits get another tiny increase

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

US to track everyone coming from Ebola nations

Teens’ travel renews concerns about terror appeal

Blackwater guards found guilty in Iraq shootings

Methodist panel hears appeal over gay wedding

AP-GfK Poll: Public wants tighter Ebola screening

Key features of rigorous new US Ebola monitoring

Goofy dinosaur blends Barney and Jar Jar Binks

Mexico: Mayor linked to deadly attack on students

Nigeria truce is shaky, no news of abducted girls

Iraqi Kurdish lawmakers OK fighters for Syria

Analysis: Fowle was North Korea’s easiest US case

UK man faked coma for 2 years to avoid court

Missile, fire from Egypt wounds 2 Israeli troops

Prisons agree to end race policy

Don’t make this mistake after voting

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Editorial Cartoons: Oct. 23, 2014

Living a Democrat PC nightmare

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Real reason to vote yes on 46

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Keck did good job researching issue

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Today in History: Oct. 23, 2014

Community Calendar: Oct. 23, 2014

Horoscopes: Oct. 23, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

My husband visits dating sites, stays out until 3 or 4 a.m.

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

NBC promoting Weir, Lipinski to top skating team

Annie Lennox embraces jazzy ‘Nostalgia’

Renee Zellweger: ‘People don’t know me in my 40s’

Sax player behind ‘Baker Street’ solo dies at 60

‘SNL’ adds black woman to cast from writers room

Carr confident despite Raiders’ winless start

AP source: Goodell told to testify in Rice appeal

Kings measuring success on ‘wins and losses’

Giants’ bullpen melts down in 7-2 loss to Royals

Warriors hoping Kerr is final piece for title run

Local Report: Armijo XC teams finish MEL 10-0

World Series rating for opener drops to low

Beaten Giants fan shows significant progress

Polian, Wolf nominated for Pro Football Hall of Fame

Slumping Bears hope to slow No. 6 Oregon, Mariota

Stanford picked to win Pac-12 regular-season crown

NBA owners fail to pass lottery reform

Leafs-Senators game postponed after shootings

Phony World Series tickets, merchandise seized

Request denied to remove judge on Peterson case

Probe: UNC academic fraud was ‘shadow curriculum’

Brad Keselowski not concerned with popularity

SHR swaps crews for Danica Patrick and Kurt Busch

From Mexico to the World Series, Petit Giants’ shines

’85 World Series Royals relishing playoff run

This date in sports history for Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014

FedEx, UPS make plans for a better holiday season

The top 20 US cities for tech startup funding

‘Silicon Beach’ brings tech boom to Los Angeles

Google unveils app for managing Gmail inboxes

Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles

Camel maker Reynolds snuffs out workplace smoking

BofA to refund Apple Pay customers charged twice