Saturday, September 20, 2014

Dead body found in bushes off West Texas Street

From page A3 | November 13, 2011 |

FAIRFIELD — A woman driving on West Texas Street, who stopped to secure a loose dog early Sunday afternoon, stumbled upon a dead man’s body in the nearby bushes.

Fire, police and the coroner’s office responded to the scene across the street from the transportation center off Beck Avenue.

The deceased appeared to be a transient, said Sgt. Dean Pilchur, of the Fairfield Police Department.  The death appeared to be from natural causes as no evidence of foul play was found, Pilchur added.

The body was transported to the coroner’s office.

Reach Amy Maginnis-Honey at 427-6957 or amaginnis@dailyrepublic.net.

Amy Maginnis-Honey

Amy Maginnis-Honey

Amy Maginnis-Honey joined the staff of the Daily Republic in 1980. She’ll tell you she was only 3 at the time. Over the past three decades she’s done a variety of jobs in the newsroom. Today, she covers arts and entertainment and writes for the Living and news pages.

• Rich GiddensNovember 13, 2011 - 8:05 pm

Nothing like stumbling upon a dead human body in the course of one's day. Happens to everybody during the course of their lifetime. When we lived in Turkey I found a bunch of skeletal remains in the attic of our rental home. Apparently, the last tenant had gone down to the World War 1 battlefield at Gallipoli / Chanakkale and had just scooped up remains (the Turks didn't bury their war dead) and placed them in several bags. I stumbled upon the macabre scene by accident when I went up to the attic to check on a water supply problem. I shined a flashlight across the attic and found myself staring at a human skull. Being a mischevious teenager, I scooped up the skull, descended the access ladder and yelled for my sister to come out of her bedroom. Placing the skull behind my back, I taunted my sister and then thrust the skull towards her----THERE! I spent the rest of the day chasing my sisters around the house with the skull as they screamed in terror. My parents were gone, so then I got creative. I went and got a hack saw and sawed off the top of the skull, placed a candle in it and then hung it in the hallway. When my parents got home, boy were they p*ss*ed! We had to get an Air Force doctor to come over and take custody of the remains and get them out of the house. I saw the same thing happen to a friend of mine in South Carolina. They were stumbling along in the boonies near Edisto Island and found a skeletal remain. Incredibly, they did the same thing----sawed the top of the skull off and used it as a candle holder!

• The SugarJarNovember 13, 2011 - 10:32 pm

May he rest in peace.

• Christine in FFNovember 13, 2011 - 10:53 pm

Wow! My kids and I were going to Target and we were stopped at the light right there at Beck and West Texas. We saw the dog on the sidewalk and also the woman's car stopped in the right lane. She got out~she walked towards the dog~ then my light turned green so we went on our way. When we came out from shopping~ there were fire trucks, cops and yellow tape. They were in the process of clearing the scene~ taking down the tape and the fire truck was pulling off. We were shocked. My initial thought was that she got hit by a car but her car was gone. Then my son said maybe they found a dead body in the bushes. I said no way. I told him if that was the case I would think they would be investigating much longer than the hour we were in the store. I decided to check the DR before going to bed and I read this. Holy moly. I bet the dog on the sidewalk was the man's dog. It was just sitting there all calm and not even flinching. I though for sure it might dart out into the street but nope~ just sat there right in front of the bushes. I hope the dog is taken care of and may the man rest in peace.

• annonNovember 14, 2011 - 7:10 am

Yah

• LilNovember 14, 2011 - 10:26 am

What an awful way to die, alone and in the bushes. I hope this man finds peace in the next life that he could not find in this one.

• antonio cruzNovember 14, 2011 - 10:47 am

WOW Rich, you mean some how the SPD is not responsible for that???

• big artNovember 14, 2011 - 12:32 pm

i live in fairfield an too me im not surprised theres a body cuz wats its become, people have been shot in my neighborhood an bodys either been found or hidden in the creek bye meadowlark, plus last time there were bodys bein found bye armijo high, i really dont believe there has been 7 muders this year cuz the ambulence is always picking up someone so i drove bye it people were jus ridin bye it, deadbodys are usual in fairfield, if u live on the ghetto side of this city

• Body found on W. Texas?November 14, 2011 - 6:24 pm

I'm a little worried... We haven't heard from Mr. Fix Fairfield.org today...maybe the west texas revitalization not happening caused him to have a meltdown!

• FF64November 14, 2011 - 6:31 pm

The deceased was a local homeless ex-felon. Sad, but the way he chose to live for the past several years...

• LocalNovember 14, 2011 - 7:46 pm

I too drove by & saw the lady pulled off to the side with the dog. I recognized the dog & thought of the homeless guy associated with it. White guy with curley brown hair in his late thirties & hang around Beck Ave. & Allen Witt. Is that the guy 64?

• Christine in FFNovember 14, 2011 - 7:43 pm

Was it the guy with the dog that was always at the Beck ave. entrance to Target?

• annonNovember 15, 2011 - 7:04 am

that's why i earlier said Yah FF64. He won't be a burden on this city anymore. I know for some of you this sounds like I'm mean, but some people in this world are just a burden on society.

• maeNovember 15, 2011 - 7:11 am

Oh wow. Sad that who ever this person was had to die on the streets. Im wondering if it was Sarge the hat tipper guy at target or was it the blonde fella that rides his bike and has his dog in a trailer behind him. Could have been the other guy with the tan and white pitbull? Im familliar with the homeless in that particular area. Guess Ill know by the days end after running my errands

• DMM OklahomaNovember 15, 2011 - 9:08 am

Thank God He sees us the same in His eyes, He is not a respecter of persons. He is willing to forgive all those that come to Him. Jesus died on the cross for the homeless addict, the rich king and everyone in between. I am glad that only God will be my Judge , I am a sinner deserving of Hell but He sees me through the blood that Jesus shed for me. If you believe that gift is also available to you. After working with many addicts and thieves and prostitutes etc for many years in Solano County I saw many people that were saved by God's Grace. I hope the deceased had come to believe as well !!!

• Rita GoldenNovember 15, 2011 - 11:16 pm

Amen!

• SavetheRepublicNovember 16, 2011 - 1:29 pm

Amen!

• misti crockerNovember 15, 2011 - 10:27 pm

this mans name was logan biles, he was homeless yes. you should know he had 28 years clean and sober. he was a very kind person who was suffering from the very circumstances of any man in a home except he had humbleness and a great heart. unfortunately he was recently unable to bewith anyone at this time because he had a gift for anyone in his presence he shared his kindness and gave to all as much as he had.i was one of the previous owners of the dog found that day. his name is trouble, but really gives you none. logan called him t-rex. in a recent accident logan broke his leg and couldnt get to the hospital and was left outside until an ambulance came 2 days later. he asked the friend whom also used to care for trouble paul anderson if he could care for him while he got better.as always he welcomed the dog as if he were never gone.(by the way paul and susie are the ones who blessed trouble with logan and vice versa.) while it had been a couple weeks and another animal had contracted parvo, to prevent the risk of trouble becoming sick logan left with him about a week ago. to my surprise i am so deeply sorry that he wasnt able to know how much he really did and what warmth he shared through the friendships he shared.we will miss you dearly. trouble is home now he was picked up today as soon as we heard and he is home to stay.he loves you and we carry you in our hearts

• Kim StatonNovember 16, 2011 - 1:17 pm

Thank you for the background of this man. I also saw the dog and the girl stop to help him. And then later, I saw the coroner examining his body on the side of the road. I was so sad. I am so glad Trouble still has a place to call home. And it is my prayer that Logan died peacefully and painlessly. You never know the history of someones life. Thats why we ought not to judge anyone at all. I dont care if a homeless guy buys alcohol with the money I give him. That may be the way he keeps warm at night. I encourage you all to please continue to help the homeless if you can. Let God decide if the way they spend the money is wrong. Thanks again, Misti, for the insight.

• LilNovember 15, 2011 - 10:52 pm

I think I know this guy. I grew up with him in Suisun. His dad and mine were very good friends. His dad ran a thrift/junk store on Main Street in Suisun in the 70s. The Biles were a group of really nice people. When I was 10, my mom was in the hospital during my birthday and my dad had no clue that it was my birthday. I had to run errands with him and we stopped by Mr Biles' store. Mr Biles noticed me looking kind of down and asked what was wrong. I told him my family had forgotten my birthday and he said that I could have anything I wanted in the store. I chose a wood chest that I would use to lock my good toys away from my sister. I had that chest for 20 years, until I gave it to my nephews. Every time I opened it, I thought of Mr Biles. It really saddens me that Logan died that way. He was a kid from school, it seems like just yesterday. I will keep his family in my prayers and I hope that Logan finds happiness wherever he is.

• PinkNovember 16, 2011 - 4:08 pm

thank-you Misti for giving this man a background and a name. It's nice to know this man was a living human being and not just homeless. I'm Glad the pup has a new-old home. I hope Logan is at rest now.

Solano jobless rate drops, jobs rise

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1

Parsons files FPPC complaint against Bertani

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1

Memorial focuses on hope, healing from addiction

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Vacaville High graduate shines at tech event

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

New law aimed at urban water district reports

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Travis celebrates KC-10′s 20 years at base

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Highway 37 detours in place

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Vallejo man faces deportation after guilty pleas

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3

Maintenance begins on Rio Vista Bridge Sunday

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Mother gives late daughter a voice by helping others

By Susan Winlow | From Page: B8 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Sept. 18, 2014

Suisun City police log: Sept. 18, 2014

Record-setting retardant used on California fire

Brown vetoes diaper changing-station bills

Oakland mother charged in cocaine death of son, 2

UC campus chancellors granted hefty pay raises

Driver of stolen van that hit dog gets prison time

License plate scanner networks capture movements

Feds approve California’s immigrant license words

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

California man accused of killing fellow gym-goer

California school gender equity ruling upheld

State to ban smoking at home day cares

Fence-jumper makes it into the White House

3 guilty in Ga. salmonella-tainted peanut trial

Fierce fighting in Yemeni capital kills 120

Sierra Leone begins 3-day Ebola lockdown

Ambush suspect could be aided by dense woods

France joins US against Islamic State over Iraq

After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide

Florida town knew shooter had troubled past

Daughter calls Utah doctor a monster at sentencing

Lots of services available for Solano veterans

By Ted Puntillo | From Page: A8

Cheers, jeers for the week of Sept. 14-20, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Editorial cartoons for Sept. 20, 2014

Fairfield Ford boosts animal adoption efforts

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Today in History: Sept. 20, 2014

Community Calendar: Sept. 20, 2014

Horoscopes: Sept. 20, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A7

Make sure you get educated during Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A7

Signs indicate California recovery will last

By Thomas Elias | From Page: A8

Fallon to pay up, broadcast show in Chicago

Legs power Mustangs in win over Falcons

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Indians score late but still fall to Panthers

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1

A’s Lester holds Phillies to 5 hits in 7 innings in 3-1 victory

Big plays in second half lift Vanden past Center

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1

After NFL, baseball addresses domestic violence

Goodell: ‘Same mistakes can never be repeated’

Kershaw gets 20th win as Dodgers pound Cubs 14-5

Raiders could be down 2 starters on defense

Sharks open with new vibe after playoff collapse

49ers’ Davis, McDonald questionable for Sunday

Stewart slogs through tough day at New Hampshire

Rio Vista gets easy football win over Delta

Keselowski wins pole at New Hampshire

Gordon has suspension reduced to 10 games

This date in sports history for Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014

China fines GlaxoSmithKline $492M for bribery

Procter & Gamble cancels on-field NFL promotion

California adopts olive-oil labeling standards

By The Associated Press | From Page: B4, 1 Comment

Yahoo rakes in another jackpot from Alibaba’s IPO

Alibaba stock soars in jubilant trading debut

The Kuro taste: Peppery tang and hint of squid ink