Fairfield

Community meeting on Fairfield crime set

By From page A5 | April 25, 2014

FAIRFIELD — Strategies to further address crime, blight and homelessness in Fairfield will be considered at 6 p.m. Tuesday at a special community meeting of the Fairfield City Council in Willow Hall at the Fairfield Community Center, 1000 Kentucky St.

The meeting follows a series of serious crimes in the city.

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or [email protected]

Ryan McCarthy

• Skeptic ScroogeApril 25, 2014 - 12:16 am

Call it a drug turf battle, but face it: the homeless are buying those drugs with what they can steal out of your car while you sleep.

• 2realApril 25, 2014 - 6:25 am

Another meeting...? No thanks (officers) stay on patrol where u belong. There should be plenty of work to do. Dont talk about it be about it!

• CD BrooksApril 25, 2014 - 7:15 am

I would be more concerned as to why we should have these meetings. The laws are clear, we have a code enforcement team and a police force, and they simply are not enforcing the laws. Then they get a grant or decide to all of a sudden enforce one segment of the law I E texting, and they're allegedly, all over it. I've never read one statistic after these so-called "blitzes." Wonder why things are so out of control? Nobody wants to hear it, but traffic enforcement is the first line of defense. The meeting is unnecessary it will only serve notice that we should continue expecting business as usual with the oft-stated and now redundant "lack of resources."

• SixStrRzrApril 25, 2014 - 8:07 am

CDB - I agree w/ you on the hackneyed "lack of resources" excuse, and the lack of emphasis on traffic enforcement. But, IMO, the entire country, from the business world and all service industries to law enforcement is working with "lack of resources". (Except, of course, the 1%). As an SAWP (still a working person), I've been doing the work of 2 for years.

• CD BrooksApril 25, 2014 - 8:29 am

SixStrRzr, could not agree more!

• Mr. SmithApril 25, 2014 - 8:40 am

How will those who attend this meeting get home safely? Maybe they should consider changing the venue to the Vacaville community center.

• CD BrooksApril 25, 2014 - 8:43 am

OH! OUCH! Mr. Smith!

• My2centsApril 25, 2014 - 7:16 am

This is great. Fairfield needs a real crime reduction strategy. Last week I went for a bike ride on the bike trail to Solano community college and was scared to death when I came across a homeless man who had set up camp, tent pitched and all, on the side of the bike path!

• CD BrooksApril 25, 2014 - 9:16 am

My2cents that's terrible, you encountered a homeless encampment? When you weren't on the path did you stop at stop signs and red lights you encountered? Did you ride your bike with the flow of traffic? Did you walk your bike in the crosswalk? Just curious, I like to be kept informed about the practices of our bicycle-riding friends wanting laws that apply to everyone properly observed.

• Fairfield Free FallApril 25, 2014 - 9:22 am

Fairfield PD needs to do more to address the problem houses that we have here in the city. The tweak houses, the drug houses, the party houses, the problem rentals, the houses with a couple of broken down cars in the driveway and a couple parked on the front lawn. Put pressure on the residents, the property owners, the visitors. A lot of the problems in the city, robberies, break-ins, shootings are connected to these houses. PD should know these homes as it shouldn't take too many visits for the light bulb to go off (dim as it may be). City council & Fairfield PD have lost control of this city & a perfect example would the Orchid St./ Marigold area. Yay they caught someone over there with a gun after a reported shooting but have they made any arrests in any of the prior shootings? Have they made any arrests in ANY of the hundreds of residential break-in? We have now (& in the past) a blow hard city council quick to pass a city ordinance or three (can I get this shopping cart removed) which look good in a news article but belies any actual action or substance. We, the tax payers pay big bucks for our police force in this city which faired rather well during the resent recession. Yes, they deal with all these baddies on a daily bases but that's why they make the big bucks. I for one expect more from our city leaders & Fairfield PD but all I ever see is the same old....

• D.April 25, 2014 - 9:23 am

Mr. Smith, you do realize the police station is right across the Fairfield Community Center, right? Criminals aren't the smartest tools in the shed but you wouldn't think they'd try to pull something around there in a publicized meeting, no less.

• Yeah,April 25, 2014 - 9:55 am

And I'd feel safer attending if there was a Starbucks across the street. I think for the most part the dispatchers outnumber the gun toting cops there unless you have a shift change.

• Mr. SmithApril 25, 2014 - 11:24 am

D: Having spent more late night meetings in the FF City Council Chambers ( maybe 15 steps from the front door of the PD) than I care to remember, there are a couple of major flaws in your reasoning. But suffice it to say that I was merely attempting to draw attention to the city's recent uptick in violent criminal behavior--all around the city. Day and night.

• D.April 25, 2014 - 12:40 pm

Mr. Smith, I also work around the area...little more than the 15 steps to the PD you mentioned, in fact from the Council Chambers. And I'd say there aren't only flaws in your reasoning, it's ventured into pure hyperbole. Yes, the increase in violence is alarming and I'm as sick of it as are you. But stop with the alarmist attitude and at least acknowledge that having a meeting about this is something positive. Discouraging those to attend is simply irresponsible on your part.

• Mr. SmithApril 25, 2014 - 1:25 pm

"Alarmist attitude?" Really? Don't look now, but people in this community are already beyond alarmed. But I am willing to acknowledge that the meeting COULD turn into something positive. That depends on the mayor and council. We are tired of hearing "lack of resources" and "you citizens must do your part." While those factors may be in play, the situation in this city has advanced beyond that, and some real, hard-nosed, probably expensive steps need to be taken. What about expanding the gang injunction to include all gangs? What about decreasing Section 8 housing instead of increasing it? Why not try CD's suggestion to increase traffic division personnel and emphasis as a means of a pre-emptive strike on the thugs running around our town looking for trouble? Why can't the city make life so miserable for the "homeless" that they move on to more lifestyle-friendly environments or get help from social service organizations--which means they would need to abide by some rules for a change? Why not seek out other cities who have experienced this degradation and successfully mitigated it? I am sure there are better, more sophisticated solutions out there. What has the city council and police administration tried to do up to now? What are their immediate plans to further address this issue?

• CD BrooksApril 25, 2014 - 2:34 pm

Mr. Smith, dude obviously pushed a hot button! You have laid it out those of us paying attention are tired of the nonsense. We law-abiding, tax-paying honest citizens should not have to deal with terrorism, traffic issues and a general lack of protection. We have a contract that entitles us to a reasonable expectation for safety. I agree there must be another city that has successfully dealt with these issues. I am anxious to hear what they have to say.

• D.April 25, 2014 - 12:43 pm

Just to clarify a bit on my previous comment, I work extremely close to both the PD and the City Council Chambers.

• D.April 25, 2014 - 3:17 pm

Mr. Smith, I may not agree with all your points but you do make some good ones. And I understand your concern. As someone who grew up in the Hunters Point area in SF, I've been through a lot worse living environment but that doesn't mean I want it following me here in Fairfield.