31 womens history month 1

Beverly Springfield of Shiloh Baptist Church in Vacaville performs a dance during a Women's History Month Celebration at St. Stephen CME Church in Fairfield, Sunday. The event featured music, dance and a speech from Pastor Cassandry Redmond-Keys of Davis Chapel CME Church. (Aaron Rosenblatt/Daily Republic)

Church honors judge, city councilwoman at celebration

By From page A3 | March 31, 2014

FAIRFIELD — A pair of public officials were recognized for their “character, courage and commitment” during a Women’s History Celebration at St. Stephen CME Church, Sunday.

The Women’s Missionary Society collaborated with the Fairfield-Suisun City-Vacaville Section of the National Council of Negro Women for a service that honored City Councilwoman Pam Bertani, Judge Ramona Garrett, U.S. Air Force Senior Master Sgt. Stephanie Williams and church parishioner Melisha Perkins.

“I love all of you for coming out to help celebrate these four women that we have selected to be honored today,” said Clarice Roberts. “This is actually a celebration for all of you.”

Roberts praised Bertani’s intellect and passion as she introduced the councilwoman to the congregation.

“You (can) understand why Pam is doing what she’s doing – she loves Fairfield – and she only wants the best for (the city),” Roberts said.

Bertani, a patent lawyer and litigator, is principal of the Winston Bertani Law Group in downtown Fairfield. She is currently running for a Solano County Supervisor seat. After accepting the award, Bertani paid tribute to her mother, who died in December.

“My mother taught me something, which is why I’m standing here right now,” she said. “My mother taught me that we drink from wells we did not dig, and we prosper from people we did not know. And so we’re ever bound in community – whether we like it or not.”

Garrett, who served as presiding judge of the Solano County Superior Court from 2008-09, overcame diversity to kickstart her judicial career.

“I became a teenage mother at 18, and I have lived within the legal profession for 36 years,” she said.

Garrett began law school at the University of California, Davis, at age 25 – two years after she got off welfare. Fifteen years later she became the first woman and the first African-American judge to sit on the municipal court in Solano County.

“It has been quite a marathon race in which to run,” she said. “It has been my challenge to run my leg of this race with courage, determination and hopefully wisdom, so when my life journey ends it may be said . . . that gender and race need not be disabling handicaps in the race of life.”

St. Stephen CME Church is located at 2301 Union Ave. in Fairfield. The Rev. David Isom is the pastor.

Reach Adrienne Harris at 427-6956 or [email protected] Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/aharrisdr.

This version corrects the time when Judge Ramona Garrett served as presiding judge.

Adrienne Harris

Adrienne Harris

Adrienne joined the Daily Republic in September 2009. She earned her journalism degree at the University of Florida in 2005 and has worked at newspapers in Fort Pierce, Fla.; Las Cruces, N.M.; and El Paso, Texas.

• The MisterMarch 31, 2014 - 6:24 am

At least someone likes Pam.

• CD BrooksMarch 31, 2014 - 7:00 am

I suppose she gets to keep her council seat while she’s running for Supervisor?

• SalMarch 31, 2014 - 12:04 pm

Yes she keeps her council seat, runs for another seat, and gets big bucks to do so...........what she has done for the city to make her so great is a joke to say the least....I agree, The Mister seems obsessed with making people like her, which is why I am more convinced than ever that he is her Mister trying to protect her......best of luck, the public is no fool.

• CD BrooksMarch 31, 2014 - 12:11 pm

Sal, thanks for the info. I don't think The Mister is a Bertani supporter. I believe she loses that supervisor race then will lose her seat on the council in 2016.

• The MisterMarch 31, 2014 - 12:18 pm

Seedy (or CD)... you are RIGHT!! (pinch me!!). I am not a Pam fan. I've never met her and haven't said anything nice about her... except that she isn't Diamond Jim Spering. Again, The Mister is not a Pam supporter... wouldn't vote for her... wouldn't suggest anyone else vote for her. (But then, I wouldn't vote for Diamond Jim either. Not my district so nothing for me to do about it.)

• CD BrooksMarch 31, 2014 - 12:28 pm

The Mister, thank you! We agree 100% on everything you wrote here! :)

• The MisterMarch 31, 2014 - 12:21 pm

Sal... ya have a need to read. I've never supported or protected Pam.

• mistressMarch 31, 2014 - 11:42 am

Mister Why are you so worried about people liking Pam?

• The MisterMarch 31, 2014 - 11:52 am

Mistress, over the past couple of weeks there has not been one positive comment about Pam. The consistent theme is that she is rude and pushy and not an outwardly nice person. As far as I can tell, the only plus she has going into the Supervisor race is that she is not Diamond Jim Spering.

• SalApril 01, 2014 - 12:51 pm

not an outwardly nice person, so you have information that she's inwardly nicer?

• mistressMarch 31, 2014 - 12:06 pm

Mister People have given reasons to substantiate why they don't like her, and why she has lied on her resume. Can you give us reasons otherwise since you seem to want to protect her?

• The MisterMarch 31, 2014 - 12:25 pm

@ The Mistress... you too have a need to read. I have never said anything nice about Pam nor said anything to protect her. The Mister is not a Pam fan.

• mistressMarch 31, 2014 - 12:56 pm

Not a pam fan! There's a slogan. We are one Mister.

• SalMarch 31, 2014 - 12:58 pm

The newspaper should not print inaccurate info. Pam no longer has a business located downtown. Check it out, it has a rent sign!

• George Guynn, JrApril 01, 2014 - 1:27 am

The Mister, keep those great comments coming, please! Sal, since Bertani has only one case listed on Solano Court Connect (an estate case), it is no surprise that she doesn't have office space now. It is much easier to make the big bucks with a government job than with a real one!!!! The problem for the public is that we don't need Pam or Diamond Jim.