Sunday, April 26, 2015

Our Music Year No. 43: Bob Dylan, ‘Empire Burlesque’

Bob Dylan

From page A5 | February 12, 2013 |

Artist: Bob Dylan
Title: “Empire Burlesque”
Year: 1985
Format: Compact disc (Spotify)
Grade: D-

The ’80s were hard on Robert Zimmerman. Descriptions abound of the creation of “Empire Burlesque” that show him uninterested in his own art, letting others reconfigure his songs for him.

Unsurprisingly, “Empire” is regarded as own of Dylan’s weakest efforts. While there is potential in “Empire Burlesque,” records are about results, not shoulda, coulda or woulda.

Many songs on “Empire” haven’t aged well because of their adherence to musical trends of the period. “Tight Connection to My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love?)” is a country-twinged attempt at reggae that overstuffs the mix with too many ideas.

“When the Night Comes Falling From the Sky” is a horrifying risk, a dance song with the kind of gated reverb drum beat perfected by Phil Collins.

“Dark Eyes” is the only true classic, recounting a moment when Dylan passed an abused prostitute while boarding an elevator. It’s simply Dylan and his harmonica, a familiar comfort after a record of such messy studio overindulgence.

Freed of the shackles of its ’80s production, “Empire” might not be so terrible, but it’s a victim of something the best Dylan songs avoid – feeling horribly dated.

Our Music Year is Daily Republic popular culture writer Nick DeCicco’s yearlong online review in 2012 of albums he had previously not listened to. The reviews will appear in print on their corresponding days during 2013. Reach him at 427-6966 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ndeciccodr.

Nick DeCicco

Nick DeCicco

Nick DeCicco is the editor of the Tailwind and writes the pop culture blog/column For Those About to Rock. Before joining the DR staff in July 2007, DeCicco (pronounced Deh-CEE-Coh) worked at The Union in Grass Valley, Calif., and the Greeley Tribune in Greeley, Colo. A 2004 graduate of the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, DeCicco spends his free time attending concerts, listening to music, going to movies, traveling and hiking.

• Phil T. ListenerFebruary 13, 2013 - 3:29 am

This album was clearly a disappointment, especially following his prior studio album Infidels. One song you missed, and is my favorite on the work is "I'll Remember You". Some may consider it sappy, but the song brings me to tears every time I listen to it. Beautiful version of Bob with Tom Petty and his band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_jaxskVJ4

• PETER INSIAMFebruary 13, 2013 - 4:29 am

DYLAN'S 'EMPIRE BURLESQUE' IS AN EXCELLENT WORK BY ANY STANDARD. ' TIGHT CONNECTION..... ' & ' WHEN NIGHT COMES.....' ARE TIMELESS SONGS W/ A KILLER BAND. WAKE - UP DeCICCO OR CRAWL BACK UNDER YOUR ROCK PLEASE.

• Rick ColeFebruary 13, 2013 - 6:39 am

There are a couple of songs from Empire Burlesque I listen to regularly-- Clean Cut Kid and Trust Yourself. I also think Seeing the Real You At Last stands with Positively 4th Street and Like A Rolling Stone as one of his great put down songs.

• Phil T. ListenerFebruary 13, 2013 - 9:55 am

Though I liked Clean Cut Kid, it seemed like a cross between Neighborhood Bully and License to Kill. It probably took Bob about an hour to write, and possibly was also mostly stream of consciousness.I definitely liked some of the lines especially: He drank Coca-Cola, he was eating Wonder Bread Ate Burger Kings, he was well fed. I guess he got the OK from the product makers to use their names. I know in "Loal" The Kinks had to change "Coca-Cola" to "Cherry-Cola" because they didn't get permission from Coke.

• zezeFebruary 13, 2013 - 9:58 am

c´mon man you don´t know what your talkin about probably dylan and us didn´t get the sound that we were expecting but the songs are great all of them

• angelinaFebruary 13, 2013 - 10:50 am

I love this album, I think it has aged well. Looking back at the song When the night comes falling, I'd love to hear it with a real drum back up. I have listened to it non stop this year and I think it has a lot more life looking back than I might have thought of it at the time. I never find Dylan's songs un-enjoyable. There can't always be the kind of over the top success to every piece of an artist's work. I am always amazed at how many different ways he can spin a tune. I'll remember you is one of the best love songs, right up there with Most of the Time, Born in Time, and Forgetful Heart. It is very real, in terms of it's sentiment and how he presents his emotions right out on the table for us to pick over. The author of this post is certainly picking over bones rather than searching for new tender flesh here.

• Phil T. ListenerFebruary 14, 2013 - 3:49 am

Don't know if you saw this version. I agree and think it is one of his top love songs. Happy Valentine's Day to all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_jaxskVJ4

• kev BFebruary 13, 2013 - 11:13 am

It was disappointing and yes has a distinct'80's feel, ie overmixed and drums too loud!. The songs though were largly good, just spoiled by the Arthur Baker remix. The unreleased versions of the songs are good, revealing a Dylan as on form as he was on the previous Infidels.

• PK EiseltFebruary 13, 2013 - 1:45 pm

I agree with Kev B. Most of, if not all of the songs have been performed in other contexts and have aged remarkably well. The production on the album is definitely questionable, but the song writing is pretty solid.

• Dan SullivanFebruary 13, 2013 - 4:06 pm

Nick, We'll have to agree to disagree. Empire Burlesque ranks as a favorite of mine. It's easily in his top 7 or 8 albums. "When the night comes falling from the sky" is classic Dylan. One of his great songs. Check out the lyrics. And that disco dance groove fits the song perfectly. "Clean Cut Kid," "Trust Yourself" and "I'll remember you." Great songs. Great album!

• StR A bit on the dark sideFebruary 13, 2013 - 4:54 pm

"When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky"........ Look out across the fields, see me returning... Smoke is in your eye, you draw a smile... From the fireplace where my letters to you are burning... You've had time to think about it for a while............... Well, I've walked two hundred miles, look me over... It's the end of the chase and the moon is high... It wont matter who loves who... You'll love me or I'll love you... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling from the sky......... I can see through your walls and I know you're hurting....Sorrow covers you up like a cape... Only yesterday I know that you've been flirting... With disaster you somehow managed to escape.................. I can't provide for you no easy answers.... Who are you that I should have to lie ?... You'll know all about it, love... It'll fit you like a glove... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling from the sky. ............ I can hear your trembling heart beat like a river... You must have been protecting someone last time I called... I never asked you for nothing that you couldn't deliver.... I've never asked you to set yourself up for a fall........... I saw thousands who could have overcome the darkness... For the love of a lousy buck, I've watched them die... Stick around, baby, we're not through... Don't look for me, I'll see you... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling from the sky............. In your teardrops, I can see my own reflection.. It was on the northern border of Texas where I crossed the line.... I don't want to be a fool starving for affection.... I don't want to drown in someone else's wine.... For all eternity I think I will remember... That icy wind that's howling in your eye... You will seek me and you'll find me... In the wasteland of your mind... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling from the sky........ Well, I sent you my feelings in a letter... When you were gambling for support... This time tomorrow I'll know you better... When my memory is not so short............. This time I'm asking for freedom... Freedom from a world which you deny... And you'll give it to me now... I'll take it anyhow... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling.... When the night comes falling from the sky.

• When the night comes falling from the skyFebruary 13, 2013 - 4:55 pm

• angelinaFebruary 15, 2013 - 10:13 am

thanks for posting the lyrics darkside. Could have looked them up myself but I didn't. And I haven't listened to it for a while. Reading them hear gave me the chills, and I could hear it playing in my head(minus the drum track) I do consider it one of his really strong songs. Would love to see the band do it the way they're playing today. Everyone always says he wouldn't do a song that had the back up singers, But he did Joey last tour, that really suprised me. He keeps you guessing doesn't he/

• zezeFebruary 15, 2013 - 11:42 am

sorry man, but if you think that you`re oppinion justifies this blog, decicco, let me tell you that anybody seen my love and when the night comes falling, the songs that you refering, are amazing songs, they would be a hit for anibody else, clean cut kid, trust yourself, i remember you,emotionally yours are great songs, just listen to b springsteen speech when bob was inducted for the r&r hall of fame, and yes is a 80s record, like h61 or freewhilin 60s, desire or street legal 70s, and dont see any problem about that. i´m portuguese and the last song i´ve from bob in the radio in portugal when one of his records was release was thight connection.

Children enjoy day of fishing at Fairfield pond

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Solano cities celebrate Earth Day

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Hard-fought battle ends in victory

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1 | Gallery

Those addictive, terrible, wonderful smartphones

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Expo shows Kroc Center fun for whole Framily

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Edibles in your landscape

By Daily Republic | From Page: C4

CHP offers free class for senior drivers

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Supervisors consider changes in various county fees

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A4

Suisun police execute tobacco sting

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A4

Covered California offers Solano enrollment events

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A5

Patrons raise a glass to toast a good cause

By Bill Hicks | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Walk MS hits stride along Suisun waterfront

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A5, 1 Comment | Gallery

Weather for Sunday, April 26, 2015

Be wary of next ‘big’ thing

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7

Pay close attention to investment costs

By Mark Sievers | From Page: B7, 1 Comment

With legalization, lawyers turn to business of pot

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Spring storm delivers late rain, snow to Northern California

Remains of dismembered newborn found in South Los Angeles

Starbucks stores reopen Saturday after computer glitch

Nearly 17 million watch Jenner interview

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

‘Operation Babylift’ kids, soldiers reunite 40 years later

Aden hit by coalition airstrikes amid fierce street battles

Mother in custody dispute freed after 8 years behind bars

Italy marks 70th anniversary of anti-Nazi uprising

European authorities stop illegal horse meat network

Italian navy rescues 274 from migrant ship off Libyan coast

Army shutting down wounded warrior transition care units

Warrior pose: Yoga catching on as therapy for veterans’ PTSD

By The Washington Post | From Page: B10

Toll climbs after powerful quake hits Nepal: Things to Know

How can we give them more?

By Brian Thiemer | From Page: A8, 5 Comments

Primary challenge could force Harris’ hand

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Sound off for April 26, 2015

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Corruption tarnishes values of our ancestors

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Obama sides with enemy

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 6 Comments

Who’s asleep at the switch?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 1 Comment

Today in history: Sunday, April 26

Brides show short wedding gowns more of the love

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2

Community Calendar: April 26, 2015

Vatican goes on offensive to defend US-Spanish saint

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

You get what you need with Jesus

By Noel Reese | From Page: C3, 2 Comments

How can I trust my husband after he texted a younger woman behind my back?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Horoscope: April 26, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Veterinarians are too expensive, and it puts pets at risk

By The Washington Post | From Page: C5

Old standby body-weight training still has moves

By The Washington Post | From Page: C7

Milan spiffs up for Expo 2015

By The Associated Press | From Page: C7

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

More copies of Laura Ingalls Wilder memoir being printed

Amber Tamblyn writes book of poetry about dead actresses

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Giants beat Rockies 5-4 in 11 innings

Warriors complete sweep with 109-98 win over Pelicans

Athletics drop 3rd straight game, 9-3 to Astros

Rain postpones NASCAR race at Richmond until Sunday

Bulldogs get 10-0 baseball win over Panthers

Canadian teen Henderson has 1-shot lead in LPGA Tour event

Klitschko outpoints Jennings to defend heavyweight titles

Michael Schumacher’s son makes strong Formula 4 debut

US routs Canada 7-2 in semifinal at under-18 hockey worlds

Watford back in Premier League after 8-year absence

Several Kentucky Derby hopefuls get workouts in before rain

Levy falters at Volvo China Open; 4 tied for lead

Former Expos executive Jim Fanning dies at 87

Sandy Lyle, Ian Woosnam team to lead Legends of Golf

Compton, Day top leaderboard in rain-plagued Zurich Classic

Suzuki breaks Oh’s record for runs by a Japanese player

A’s place Ben Zobrist on disabled list with knee injury

7 players from Royals, White Sox punished by MLB for brawl

Hometown report: Bicycle racing, youth track

Bowling report for April 26, 2015

Bayless’ layup at buzzer gives Bucks 92-90 win over Bulls

Nets beat Hawks 91-83, pull within 2-1 in series

Grizzlies hold off a late Trail Blazers rally to go up 3-0

Sports on TV for Sunday, April 26, 2015

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B5

This date in sports history for April 26

Veggies take center plate as healthy fast food chains expand

By The Associated Press | From Page: B7, 1 Comment | Gallery

What’s in a hotel name? Guests try to decipher the mystery

Is ice cream safe? Federal health officials say yes

Don’t panic, college seniors: Jobs for grads likely to grow

Elizabeth Cepeda