Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Our Music Year No. 43: Bob Dylan, ‘Empire Burlesque’

Bob Dylan

From page A5 | February 12, 2013 |

Artist: Bob Dylan
Title: “Empire Burlesque”
Year: 1985
Format: Compact disc (Spotify)
Grade: D-

The ’80s were hard on Robert Zimmerman. Descriptions abound of the creation of “Empire Burlesque” that show him uninterested in his own art, letting others reconfigure his songs for him.

Unsurprisingly, “Empire” is regarded as own of Dylan’s weakest efforts. While there is potential in “Empire Burlesque,” records are about results, not shoulda, coulda or woulda.

Many songs on “Empire” haven’t aged well because of their adherence to musical trends of the period. “Tight Connection to My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love?)” is a country-twinged attempt at reggae that overstuffs the mix with too many ideas.

“When the Night Comes Falling From the Sky” is a horrifying risk, a dance song with the kind of gated reverb drum beat perfected by Phil Collins.

“Dark Eyes” is the only true classic, recounting a moment when Dylan passed an abused prostitute while boarding an elevator. It’s simply Dylan and his harmonica, a familiar comfort after a record of such messy studio overindulgence.

Freed of the shackles of its ’80s production, “Empire” might not be so terrible, but it’s a victim of something the best Dylan songs avoid – feeling horribly dated.

Our Music Year is Daily Republic popular culture writer Nick DeCicco’s yearlong online review in 2012 of albums he had previously not listened to. The reviews will appear in print on their corresponding days during 2013. Reach him at 427-6966 or ndecicco@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ndeciccodr.

Nick DeCicco

Nick DeCicco

Nick DeCicco is the editor of the Tailwind and writes the pop culture blog/column For Those About to Rock. Before joining the DR staff in July 2007, DeCicco (pronounced Deh-CEE-Coh) worked at The Union in Grass Valley, Calif., and the Greeley Tribune in Greeley, Colo. A 2004 graduate of the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, DeCicco spends his free time attending concerts, listening to music, going to movies, traveling and hiking.

• Phil T. ListenerFebruary 13, 2013 - 3:29 am

This album was clearly a disappointment, especially following his prior studio album Infidels. One song you missed, and is my favorite on the work is "I'll Remember You". Some may consider it sappy, but the song brings me to tears every time I listen to it. Beautiful version of Bob with Tom Petty and his band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_jaxskVJ4

• PETER INSIAMFebruary 13, 2013 - 4:29 am

DYLAN'S 'EMPIRE BURLESQUE' IS AN EXCELLENT WORK BY ANY STANDARD. ' TIGHT CONNECTION..... ' & ' WHEN NIGHT COMES.....' ARE TIMELESS SONGS W/ A KILLER BAND. WAKE - UP DeCICCO OR CRAWL BACK UNDER YOUR ROCK PLEASE.

• Rick ColeFebruary 13, 2013 - 6:39 am

There are a couple of songs from Empire Burlesque I listen to regularly-- Clean Cut Kid and Trust Yourself. I also think Seeing the Real You At Last stands with Positively 4th Street and Like A Rolling Stone as one of his great put down songs.

• Phil T. ListenerFebruary 13, 2013 - 9:55 am

Though I liked Clean Cut Kid, it seemed like a cross between Neighborhood Bully and License to Kill. It probably took Bob about an hour to write, and possibly was also mostly stream of consciousness.I definitely liked some of the lines especially: He drank Coca-Cola, he was eating Wonder Bread Ate Burger Kings, he was well fed. I guess he got the OK from the product makers to use their names. I know in "Loal" The Kinks had to change "Coca-Cola" to "Cherry-Cola" because they didn't get permission from Coke.

• zezeFebruary 13, 2013 - 9:58 am

c´mon man you don´t know what your talkin about probably dylan and us didn´t get the sound that we were expecting but the songs are great all of them

• angelinaFebruary 13, 2013 - 10:50 am

I love this album, I think it has aged well. Looking back at the song When the night comes falling, I'd love to hear it with a real drum back up. I have listened to it non stop this year and I think it has a lot more life looking back than I might have thought of it at the time. I never find Dylan's songs un-enjoyable. There can't always be the kind of over the top success to every piece of an artist's work. I am always amazed at how many different ways he can spin a tune. I'll remember you is one of the best love songs, right up there with Most of the Time, Born in Time, and Forgetful Heart. It is very real, in terms of it's sentiment and how he presents his emotions right out on the table for us to pick over. The author of this post is certainly picking over bones rather than searching for new tender flesh here.

• Phil T. ListenerFebruary 14, 2013 - 3:49 am

Don't know if you saw this version. I agree and think it is one of his top love songs. Happy Valentine's Day to all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_jaxskVJ4

• kev BFebruary 13, 2013 - 11:13 am

It was disappointing and yes has a distinct'80's feel, ie overmixed and drums too loud!. The songs though were largly good, just spoiled by the Arthur Baker remix. The unreleased versions of the songs are good, revealing a Dylan as on form as he was on the previous Infidels.

• PK EiseltFebruary 13, 2013 - 1:45 pm

I agree with Kev B. Most of, if not all of the songs have been performed in other contexts and have aged remarkably well. The production on the album is definitely questionable, but the song writing is pretty solid.

• Dan SullivanFebruary 13, 2013 - 4:06 pm

Nick, We'll have to agree to disagree. Empire Burlesque ranks as a favorite of mine. It's easily in his top 7 or 8 albums. "When the night comes falling from the sky" is classic Dylan. One of his great songs. Check out the lyrics. And that disco dance groove fits the song perfectly. "Clean Cut Kid," "Trust Yourself" and "I'll remember you." Great songs. Great album!

• StR A bit on the dark sideFebruary 13, 2013 - 4:54 pm

"When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky"........ Look out across the fields, see me returning... Smoke is in your eye, you draw a smile... From the fireplace where my letters to you are burning... You've had time to think about it for a while............... Well, I've walked two hundred miles, look me over... It's the end of the chase and the moon is high... It wont matter who loves who... You'll love me or I'll love you... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling from the sky......... I can see through your walls and I know you're hurting....Sorrow covers you up like a cape... Only yesterday I know that you've been flirting... With disaster you somehow managed to escape.................. I can't provide for you no easy answers.... Who are you that I should have to lie ?... You'll know all about it, love... It'll fit you like a glove... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling from the sky. ............ I can hear your trembling heart beat like a river... You must have been protecting someone last time I called... I never asked you for nothing that you couldn't deliver.... I've never asked you to set yourself up for a fall........... I saw thousands who could have overcome the darkness... For the love of a lousy buck, I've watched them die... Stick around, baby, we're not through... Don't look for me, I'll see you... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling from the sky............. In your teardrops, I can see my own reflection.. It was on the northern border of Texas where I crossed the line.... I don't want to be a fool starving for affection.... I don't want to drown in someone else's wine.... For all eternity I think I will remember... That icy wind that's howling in your eye... You will seek me and you'll find me... In the wasteland of your mind... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling from the sky........ Well, I sent you my feelings in a letter... When you were gambling for support... This time tomorrow I'll know you better... When my memory is not so short............. This time I'm asking for freedom... Freedom from a world which you deny... And you'll give it to me now... I'll take it anyhow... When the night comes falling... When the night comes falling.... When the night comes falling from the sky.

• When the night comes falling from the skyFebruary 13, 2013 - 4:55 pm

• angelinaFebruary 15, 2013 - 10:13 am

thanks for posting the lyrics darkside. Could have looked them up myself but I didn't. And I haven't listened to it for a while. Reading them hear gave me the chills, and I could hear it playing in my head(minus the drum track) I do consider it one of his really strong songs. Would love to see the band do it the way they're playing today. Everyone always says he wouldn't do a song that had the back up singers, But he did Joey last tour, that really suprised me. He keeps you guessing doesn't he/

• zezeFebruary 15, 2013 - 11:42 am

sorry man, but if you think that you`re oppinion justifies this blog, decicco, let me tell you that anybody seen my love and when the night comes falling, the songs that you refering, are amazing songs, they would be a hit for anibody else, clean cut kid, trust yourself, i remember you,emotionally yours are great songs, just listen to b springsteen speech when bob was inducted for the r&r hall of fame, and yes is a 80s record, like h61 or freewhilin 60s, desire or street legal 70s, and dont see any problem about that. i´m portuguese and the last song i´ve from bob in the radio in portugal when one of his records was release was thight connection.

Walnut Grove shows a bit of historic Japan

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Solano County supervisors get raise

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A2

Weather for Aug. 27, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B3

Solano helps after Napa quake

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Solano supervisors declare quake state of emergency

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3

Solano promotes hand washing

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5

Solano College to host college transfer fair

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A6

Golf tournament to benefit college sport’s teams

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A6

Man steals car from Fairfield resident

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A6, 4 Comments

Learn about local travel opportunities

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6

Pierce Brosnan thriller kicks off week’s new films

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

Suisun City police log: Aug. 24, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: Aug. 23, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Fairfield police log: Aug. 25, 2014

Judges blast Indiana, Wisconsin gay marriage bans

American woman held hostage in Syria

UN panel: Global warming human-caused, dangerous

Obama defends handling of veterans affairs issues

Arab strikes in Libya show impatience with US

AP sources: US surveillance planes fly over Syria

Napa quake stirs clamor for warning system

Putin and Poroshenko meet for bilateral talks

Group files petition to idle coastal nuke plant

Israel, Hamas agree to open-ended Gaza cease-fire

Los Angeles schools halt iPad deal amid criticism

Report finds 1,400 children exploited in UK town

Police: Slain woman ID’d ex-deputy as her attacker

Officials: Instructor accidentally killed by girl

Question of the week: Is US policy on hostages correct?

By Daily Republic | From Page: A11

Abandoned carts are everyone’s responsibility

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

How to reduce taxes without busting the budget

By Ramesh Ponnuru | From Page: A11

Community Calendar: Aug. 27, 2014

Choosing chutney

By Mcclatchy-Tribune News Service | From Page: B7

Banishing the blues with healthy blueberry muffins

By Sara Moulton | From Page: B7

Women talk about sports on CBS Sports Network

Miley Cyrus’ date wanted by Oregon police

NBC’s Emmycast logs robust 15.6 million viewership

Serena Williams beats American teen at US Open

Carter’s HR in 8th leads Astros over A’s 4-2

US teen Bellis, 15, stuns Cibulkova at US Open

Raiders CB DJ Hayden to start season on PUP list

49ers prepare for possible Aldon Smith suspension

No reason to feel sorry for Jim Furyk

TMS 2015 schedule springs back to night race

Love struck: Kevin Love pledges commitment to Cavs

Sarkisian: USC looking into Shaw’s heroic story

Davis, US men beat Slovenia in basketball exhibition

Latest Astrodome proposal: massive indoor park

Bumgarner flirts with perfection, finishes with 1-hitter in Giants win

UN health agency urges crackdown on e-cigarettes

Survey: US consumer confidence near a 7-year high