(photo: Mathieu Young)

(photo: Mathieu Young)

Fairfield rapper prepares to drop debut album

By From page B1 | March 21, 2014

FAIRFIELD — Rapper Sage the Gemini – 21-year-old Fairfield native Dominic Woods – is a local success story, with a platinum single “Gas Pedal” and a follow-up gold single “Red Nose” under his belt.

The next step in his career is the release of his debut album “Remember Me” on Tuesday.

While pleased by his rapid success, Woods didn’t exactly lay out a blueprint for it. That’s not his style, he said.

“My plan was not to plan,” he said. “It was kind of like to go with the flow. With ‘Gas Pedal’ I knew I wanted to have . . . a song that everybody would listen to in this moment in time. I knew it would take off a little, but I didn’t know it would take off like that.”

The title of the song refers not to Santa’s shiny-nosed bullied reindeer, but in the context of the song is a simile that compares the rhythmic shaking of woman’s rear end when dancing to the way a red-nosed pit bull shakes its head from side to side.

Woods teamed up at the end of 2013 with none other than pop phenom Justin Bieber on a remix of “Gas Pedal” that met mixed reactions.

“A lot of people didn’t like it because Justin Bieber was rapping on my song, but a lot loved it,” he said. “Personally, I liked it because he sung and he rapped on it so it was great and it’s moving and lots of people love it.”

Woods is part of a Bay Area rap collective called The Heartbreak Kids or The HBK Gang.

“They are a very talented and diverse group of artists who love music for what it is and not the negativity that some portray it to be,” Woods said. “We are all about positivity.”

Success has been especially sweet on a personal level because of so many who were less than encouraging earlier in the rapper’s life.

“A lot of people don’t like the success that I have, but a lot of people do. I went to school at Cleo Gordon, Dover, Fairfield High and Mary Bird. A lot of my teachers are proud of me but I also proved a lot of my other teachers who said I would never amount to anything, wrong.” he said.

He performed “Gas Pedal” in February on national television twice – on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and “The Arsenio Hall Show.”

“I grew up less fortunate – we didn’t have cable, so we watched DVDs like ‘Coming to America’ – so for me, to be on TV was beautiful and to meet Arsenio and him be a big fan? It’s crazy, it’s weird, it’s a blessing,” Woods said.

“Remember Me,” the Fairfield rapper’s first full-length album, will feature his first two singles as well as a track released in February for presale called “Down on Your Luck.” Vallejo rap legend E-40 makes an appearance on the disc as well.

“It was unheard of for me to do what I did coming from (where) I am from and at my age to go platinum and gold,” Woods said. “I love Fairfield, California, and I give a shout out to Fairfield everywhere I go so we can get that recognition. I believe there are a lot of talented artists here.”

Reach Fairfield writer Tony Wade at [email protected].

Sage the Gemini

Tony Wade

Tony Wade

Tony Wade is the slightly older yet infinitely more handsome brother of long-time DR columnist Kelvin Wade

• DebbieMarch 21, 2014 - 10:37 am

I am proud of this young man, my son told me he attended Dover with you, which is cool and I love your music, you go out there and take the world by storm! you represent success from here in Fairfield, CA. and we have many more fine young men in Solano County, SHOW THEM WHAT YOUR WORKING WITH GENTLEMEN!

• Vickie FonotiMarch 21, 2014 - 10:43 am

Dominic we are so proud of you baby - keep up the good work. Love you!!

• Christine in FFMarch 21, 2014 - 10:45 am

Way to go Sage! I think it's great when I hear your song on the radio knowing you are a native of FF. Love it!

• General Fadi BasemMarch 21, 2014 - 8:40 pm

Give a bacteria a suitable living environment at the right temperature and with plenty of food and that bacteria will multiply. It will continue to multiply until it reaches certain limitations in the environment. One of those limitations is waste accumulation--the bacteria will eventually be covered over in its own waste products. That is what this article is about--the bacteria (society) being overcome with its own waste products. What is more disturbing is that the waste accumulation is celebrated, as if it is something to be admired. It is called "success" in the article. Some examples from the article: ......Woods said. “We are all about positivity.” Well, I certainly cannot think about anything more positive than the "..rhythmic shaking of woman’s rear end when dancing to the way a red-nosed pit bull shakes its head from side to side". When I think of positive thoughts, that vision of the pit bull and the woman's rear end just dominate my thoughts. Don't they dominate yours when you think of positive thoughts? Another quote:"His follow-up song “Red Nose” popularized a dance craze called “yiking.” It can be described as extreme twerking – referring to the derriere-shaking dance Miley Cyrus performed at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards." Well isn't that just special? Degenerate acts on national television are something to be celebrated and built upon, as if the existing level of degeneration is not quite enough--we really need more. Well congratulations on your "success". Its smelly at the top! of that accumulated waste pile, so please enjoy your "success" and continue to contribute to the degeneration which is celebrated as "success". After all, I cannot think of anything we need more of than red-nosed pit bulls shaking their noses and the rhythmic shaking of woman’s rear ends.

• JimboMarch 21, 2014 - 10:06 pm

Look, I am not a big fan of rap, but I just can not equate a person of color with bacteria and not see some racism. Boo. And isn't trying to be a musician a much better action to a society than selling drugs, stealing, or things actual societal misfits do?

• boomMarch 21, 2014 - 11:10 pm

@Jimbo-I would generally agree with your opinion, but when instead of actually selling the drugs or doing the 'misfit' activities you instead glamorize them by rapping about them, you're pretty much in the same boat. Basically our teenage children are listening to songs about ecstasy, drinking, pot, having sex and selling women. Most of these guys proclaim to be pimps and some of them are actively involved in human sex trafficking.

• robertMarch 23, 2014 - 11:39 pm

dude, what country you from again? okay, thank you understand if you can use the little brains you have. America foundation has been built on genocide and violence, and distribution of the drugs. would you say that about any of you favorite sports player, who take drugs to preform to entertain you? so know you follow me. its entertainment, however, if you would like to get to the source, regarding your statement, contact the legislator, and ask them why the same laws don't apply to oliver north that has your kids, including you , watching entertainers talking about and doing drugs that you use. have a good day.

• General Fadi BasemMarch 22, 2014 - 12:14 am

Mr. Boom has nailed it. What do we want to encourage? Your children using drugs like ex, pot, alcohol? Selling their classmates into sex trafficking networks? So a few pimps can drive the latest ride that their MasterOverseer has approved when the payment from Master Motor Corporation just arrived in his overstuffed bank account? The local newspaper approves all of this. And to express an alternative opinion makes you a "rascist". Put down that race card, Jimbo. You are playing it much too early.

• robertMarch 23, 2014 - 11:57 pm

No, the news paper didn't approve of this, sex, drugs, and violence. Duh, its your forefathers, in the history books, or do you remember that contradiction that has become the base of American society foundation, or don't you think the same city councils, mayors, and presidents you vote for can change this? Oh!!, I understand now!!, your vote didn't get counted to change this. America bless your pensions, foreclosed homes and your heart.

• robertMarch 24, 2014 - 12:26 am

you have a very well expained paraphrase of history of your American forefathers, so the next step, in which you should take to be an example to your forefathers, and society its self, who ideology foundation is based on the degenerate ecosystem that created this bacteria, dispose of your selfs, then you can honestly say, you have made a step and solution to the problem that has been very effective that propelled eradication to the bacteria. Good day, and I support you.