Friday, August 1, 2014

Parent’s school protest brings police, support

rolling hills greivance 11_7_13

Stephen Feudner protests in from of Rolling Hills Elementary Thursday. (Robinson Kuntz/Daily Republic)

From page A3 | November 08, 2013 |

FAIRFIELD — A parent says his protest Thursday at Rolling Hills Elementary School – about what he says are traffic-related dangers to children that he tried to address by ending parking violations and other problems before the school principal ended his work – brought a threat to have police remove him.

Stephen Feudner, 53, said Principal Robin Stewart told him Thursday morning to remove a sign reading “Please ask me if I think my children are safe at Rolling Hills School” before he went on school property.

The principal said if the sign wasn’t removed that she’d be forced to call police and have Feudner removed from school property. Feudner, who had left in the morning after picking up one of his children from school, said police came to his home around noon and tried to resolve the matter.

He returned Thursday afternoon to the school without incident and stood with his sign on the sidewalk. But he said the traffic dangers warrant bringing the protest to Rolling Hills.

“I’m going to go inside the principal’s office when it comes to school safety,” Feudner said.

He said he was exercising his First Amendment rights with the protest and that the principal’s statements were unwarranted. Feudner spoke about his nearly 30 years as a corrections officer for state prisons along with earlier law enforcement work as a police officer in El Cerrito and said he doesn’t blame Fairfield police for the traffic safety problems he sees at the school.

“It’s not their fault,” Feudner said, citing the demands on the Police Department and limited staff.

Kris Corey, superintendent of the Fairfield-Suisun School District, said Rolling Hills is safe and Feudner’s constitutional rights were not violated.

“He does have a First Amendment right as long as he’s not on our property,” Corey said.

“It’s unfortunate he feels this is the best way to handle the situation,” the superintendent said of Feudner’s actions Thursday. “This is a situation where there were just some misunderstandings.”

Feudner may have been overzealous in dealing with drivers around the school, Corey said.

Feudner said he worked 19 hours between Oct. 9 and Tuesday when he was terminated after the principal told him a parent complained about Feudner’s contacting the parent for illegal parking. Feudner said he spoke with drivers and asked them to move cars. If they didn’t, he took down license plate numbers that were included on a form provided by the school, he said. He filled out about a half-dozen forms, which the school sent to the Police Department, during his time at the school, Feudner said.

Several parents stood near him Thursday to support his protest about traffic at the school on Fieldcrest Avenue near the Manuel Campos Parkway. Stacy Baines, whose two children attend Rolling Hills, said drivers run stop signs and that more crossing guards are needed. The school needs to improve conditions before someone is hurt, Baines said.

Those concerns earned a “ditto” from Sharan Rai Mann, who said drivers need to slow down and not park in red zones.

Ernest Bradford, 79, a retired Marine, said he regrets that Feudner – committed to making things safer for children – lost his job.

Feudner said Thursday evening that he’s satisfied with his protest.

“I think I got the word out,” he said. “I just wanted things to be known.”

Still, he said, the situation has not concluded and school traffic safety must be improved.

“I’m going to consider myself a whistleblower,” Feudner said.

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or rmccarthy@dailyrepublic.net.

• amyNovember 08, 2013 - 5:33 am

I totally agree. My son attends David Weir and drivers are irresponsible. Not only that parents who let their kids ride bikes without helmets. FSUSD needs to do something.

• CD BrooksNovember 08, 2013 - 6:17 am

This is nothing new I've tried to get the message across for years. ALL school zones are unsafe when "parents" are dropping off and picking up their kids. This speaks to their speeding through the residential areas, running stop signs, having their kids run from the car across the street when a crosswalk is nearby and dashing off as if they are late for a parade! But piss-poor driving skills and law-breaking goes on everyday all over town. Lack of enforcement allows that to continue, period. Mr. Feudner was doing an excellent job trying to keep the kids safe, but the school didn’t want to field complaints they received about his chiding “parents” for dangerous behavior. Pathetic. Now after several tries, he’s found another avenue.

• S KNovember 08, 2013 - 6:30 am

Just like managers in many businesses who have their heads up where the, "Sun don't shine." Those school officials did restrict is 1st amendment rights, if he was protesting ON THE SIDEWALK. If he really wants that PIA job back, maybe some nice attorney would represent him PRO BONE. Great job, Mr. Feudner!

• unknown parentNovember 08, 2013 - 8:00 pm

Rolling Hills is an excellent school. While traffic has been a concern, the way Stephen handled it was inappropriate and aggressive. He would bang on peoples window and shout at them to move. He does not find anything wrong with his aggressive behavior. Whether it be at little league, at school or just around the neighborhood. He is a loose cannon and some are pleased with the Principals decision. He recently was not pleased with the way an altercation was handled with his son and I cant help but wonder if this is really what his anger is about. We have a great community at Rolling Hills and I hope it continues.

• CD BrooksNovember 09, 2013 - 6:47 am

Obtaining a Driver's license requires you to learn and understand certain rules and laws then taking a written exam and performing a practical driving test. Ideally, you would remember and continue practicing those laws in a safe manner. Yeah, but any more? Not so much. If you have to be told you are breaking a law or creating a potential safety issue, then you are part of the problem. THAT is the easy part here. The hard part is getting folks that want to complain but not abide by the same rules as everyone else to understand their ignorance. If you’re in that group I offer you my personal quote: “Go home, tear up your license and call a cab.” Mr. Feudner is passionate about creating a safe environment for the kids. You could very easily help him in that endeavor.

• CD BrooksNovember 09, 2013 - 7:09 am

“unknown parent,” I’d love to know in terms of actual numbers how many “are pleased with the Principals decision?” The article didn’t speak to the altercation with his child. Wondering how/if you might know that? So somebody is embarrassed that a citizen acting as an agent for the school their kid attends knocked on their window informing them of something they knew but chose to ignore right? Maybe if the cops got there first and cited them, they’d be much happier right? Yeah didn’t think so. Wise up.

• UnknownNovember 08, 2013 - 9:18 pm

Go Fuedner! It's about time someone cared enough to try and slow these parents down!

• UnknownNovember 08, 2013 - 9:33 pm

Not all school zones are unsafe! My children go to four different schools and I've never had a problem! Sounds like the parents at Rolling Hills are being very irresponsible and Fuedner felt like he needed to help! Rules are rules and some people like to enforce them! KI Jones have a Fairfield police office who sits there and threatens parents to give them tickets while they're waiting in a loading zone to pick up their children! At least Fuedner was warning them with a nice bang in the window and an elementary citation!

• fishyotaNovember 09, 2013 - 7:34 am

My son used to go to rolling hills,and the traffic situation is ridiculous, parking in red,parking in unloading zone, and waiting at the stop sign to pick up,the traffic would be backed up over 20 cars because some lazy ass wants to sit at a stop sign instead of parking and getting out.pd and the school are not the ones to blame,its the parents who are driving and behaving like this, what examples are you setting for your kids,"yes child its a law but I don't have to follow it". they show no respect for others or themselves, sad.congrats to Mr. feudner for standing up for the safety of the kids!! Maybe the school should care more about the students safety than the image of a perfect school,

• JaneNovember 09, 2013 - 9:06 pm

All of you who support Mr. Feudner most likely do not even have children at Rolling Hills. He is a total jerk! Looks like Mrs. Stuart finally saw the light. No one mentions that he was the Walking School Bus guy, taking a group of kids from the park to the school and reverse in the afternoon. Bright idea, let's give Mr. Feudner, a man with a temper, or "ticking timebomb" as a group of us parents call him, a job overseeing young children!! This guy is unstable and scary, and since he's an ex cop he probably owns weapons. His sign is ironic, as he poses more of a danger than traffic. I sure hope the cops are keeping a close eye on him! I also feel sorry for his kids, as he behaves badly in front of them. I hope Mr. Feudner gets a new hobby and quits harrassing school personnel and parents!

• CD BrooksNovember 10, 2013 - 2:02 pm

Jane, I have to apologize to RHE Parent as I mistakenly took that person to task for your useless "weapons" comment. You and "the group of us parents" (love to know the actual number and hear from them as well), speaking to Mr. Feudner's "instability" probably obey the law and never "behave badly" around your children. Right...

• RHE ParentNovember 09, 2013 - 11:13 pm

"CD Brooks"- just so you know, I witnessed Mr. Feudner "chiding" a parent for what you call "dangerous" behavior. Is stopping at a stop sign patiently waiting for the pick up line to move ahead of you dangerous? Mr. Feudner yelled at a parent for such behavior and refused to have a conversation. I will admit that many parents exhibit dangerous drop off or pick up behaviors. Is Rolling Hills different than any other school? Probably not. Trying to get 700+ students picked up or dropped off in a matter of minutes is not easy. Can we use better methods? Absolutely. But despite that, Mr. Feudner should not yell at, chide, etc parents for trying to be safe. I have witnessed Mr. Feudner's chiding and it is down right embarrassing and uncalled for. If we, as parents, want to solve the traffic situation, maybe we should stop yelling and being rude and try to start a dialogue of solutions amongst parents. Also CD Brooks, not every parent can park to pick up their kids, some of us have small children that may be asleep in the car - that is what a loading zone is for. Maybe we should deal with the many parents that park in the loading zone starting at 1pm not the parents patiently waiting at a stop sign. Just a thought. Additionally, this article is insanely one sided. Did the reporter try to interview parents that don't support Mr. Feudner and his aggressive behaviors?

• CD BrooksNovember 10, 2013 - 6:49 am

"RHE Parent," you are correct, there needs to be a better way. But "parking" at a stop sign and waiting is not practical, safe OR legal. When did that become okay? You create a small tunnel for those inclined to speed a much more dangerous situation. I have been to every school in the city over the years at morning drop off and learned to avoid them for safety reasons. Mr. Feudner was given a job and was responsible for children's safety. Did he overstep? I don't know, I don't do illegal or unsafe behavior and I walk my grand kids, so I was never "subjected" to such "treatment." How does him having guns affect this story, it does not and that's silly. I believe the man was there to do a job, he did it and people don't like being told when they mess up. I'd much rather have a stern leader in charge of all those kids paying attention so they don't get hurt. It is not easy, most people won't or can't do it. If the man was a little gruff, he was in "mode" and that comes with the territory. Truth is, if there were traffic cops there, most of you would be cited daily for your behavior. Here's a small sampling from Driving 101: Parking on corners, in red zones, in the crosswalk, in driveways, at stop signs, double parking, passing a school bus with red lights flashing, not stopping for pedestrians at crosswalks, speeding, running stop signs, ignoring the crossing guard, littering and best of all, teaching your kids it is okay to walk across the street "any old place." I have seen all these behaviors on multiple occasions, pathetic. If my granddaughter is asleep, I take her out and put her in a stroller, no big deal really. The bigger problem is "parents" that are in a hurry for whatever reason, poor excuse. My advice? Take a breath, plan better, leave early and be prepared to walk. STOP speeding through other people's neighborhood. You may do it in your own and you don't care. But it is wrong and dangerous. I'm always anxious to hear the "other side" but the problem is there are typically fewer responses to stories involving traffic. But hey it's okay, let's hear it. You don't even have to properly identify yourself!

• RHE ParentNovember 20, 2013 - 12:47 am

CD Brooks: While "parking" at a stop sign isn't okay or legal, neither is yelling at parents, banging on car windows, and being unreasonable (All actions Steve did that you approve of). Is that behavior okay with you? Really? Steve's job was to be the walking school bus lead, not traffic cop. When he was wearing his district badge and school bus vest, he is representing the school and the district. I don't think any sane human or company would keep an employee employed for yelling at parents or customers (yes, I have heard that he was not very nice to some of the students in the school bus). And just so you know, I park every morning and every afternoon to pick up my kids sometimes as far away as the park, I have not had a traffic ticket since college (20 years ago), I am mindful of traffic rules (I don't park on corners, near hydrants, etc; although I did not know that you couldn't wait at a stop sign in traffic). So don't lump me into some category as being an unsafe driver or lazy mom. I volunteer at RHE more than I or my family wished (at least 10 hours a week). I care deeply for my children's and other's education and I strive to raise law abiding, compassionate citizens that don't yell at others but have empathy for all. Maybe you should try to have a little empathy for others. Not all of us live in the neighborhood and have the luxury of walking. Also not everyone has time to volunteer at school (wish more people did) but I have to understand and have empathy for why some don't help at all at school. Since I am frustrated for yet again having to help at a school function and seeing the same 5 parents, should I go out at pick up and start yelling at all the parents that don't help, including yourself. Doubt you help at school functions. That's right, haven't seen you. But despite that, I still choose to be positive and kind to those around me. Maybe Steve would have gotten his point across better by educating and understanding those picking up their children not yelling at them. But I doubt you understand that since you think yelling at others and accusing others of saying things they didn't say and not apologizing is completely okay. Still waiting for that apology for wrongly accusing me of saying Steve was a threat due to his gun ownership. But you are much better at slinging mud, right? If you ever feel the need to actually help the school, maybe try to volunteer in the classroom or come to a PTO meeting or help with fundraising. Be positive and have some compassion for others. Maybe if all of us adults followed the Redhawk pledge, we wouldn't be in this situation. "Be the change." And I won't hold my breath for that apology.

• CD BrooksNovember 20, 2013 - 7:06 am

RHE Parent, don't hold your breath. Your weapons comment was inappropriate and has zero to do with anything here. Steve isn't my friend, I just met the man and I appreciate his efforts. You don't know me or what I do to support the school. My concern is for the safety of the children, and whatever it takes to bring awareness. I was glad to see Code Enforcement at the school yesterday. Typical example: They told a lady to move and drove away. She did not move, so when they came back, they told her again. Guess she didn't expect that? She moved. You have frustration with volunteering getting little support and would love to tell others as much yet you do not. Why? You and Mr. Feudner have the same objective but different methods for arriving there. He got attention and promoted support for his argument, he is satisfied that something is being done. It doesn't sound like you've managed that yet?

• RHE ParentNovember 20, 2013 - 8:25 am

CD Brooks- maybe you should get your facts straight since I didn't say anything about Steve owning weapons. That was Jane. You are so busy accusing others that you accused the wrong person. FYI. What would you suggest the PTO or teachers do when the same 5-10 parents offer to help while everyone else tends to their busy lives. I'm busy but I choose to help. Should I go bang on windows and yell at everyone in their cars or should I yell at all the neighborhood parents as they walk home? Not very effective. How'd the yelling work out for Steve? He got fired, the traffic stayed exactly the same, and he trashed his reputation. Sounds like it worked for him. And by the way, I am not assuming you don't help at school unlike you assuming I'm a lazy mom, a law breaking citizen, etc just because I don't support Steve yelling at others. I support there bring a process to pick kids up at the curb that is clearly defined and enforced. I would love to have a town hall meeting for those that are affected. The traffic doesn't affect me since I park every day lawfully.

• CD BrooksNovember 20, 2013 - 8:44 am

RHE parent, when I'm wrong I admit it. I do owe you an apology and I am sorry for making that mistake. In my efforts to make a difference I do get carried away sometimes.

• fishyotaNovember 10, 2013 - 10:08 am

Ok,maybe Mr feudner didn't handle situations the way some of us would, but because off that does he deserve to be attacked? he did get involved for the safety of all kids at the school, doesn't seem like people appreciate that. the problem is not him or his actions,it is the parents who are blatantly breaking traffic laws and don't care. if people didnt like how he was handling it , they should of stepped up and helped. oh wait, most of you can't because your to busy parking in loading zones and parking at a stop sign. focus on the only issue that started this, parents not following laws,pretty basic.why don't we attack them and pick apart their integrity as a human? if Mr feudner did such a bad job why hasn't anyone else stepped up? Thank you for stepping up Mr feudner, thank you for caring about the safety of ALL kids at the school!

• CD BrooksNovember 10, 2013 - 10:35 am

There may be an even more serious problem at RHE and apparently, they don't want to address that either? I've been hearing stories suggesting there has been a great deal of bullying going on in the lunchroom and has been ignored. Where is the supervision? Maybe they need a more "Feudner-like" approach there? Confrontation regarding uncomfortable situations does not seem to be desirable from school staff? You cannot allow this behavior to continue. You certainly can not ignore the victim and their family. Is there anyone having more information on this issue? My son and I have spoken to the kids about how to respond to bullying. It would not be fair for a child defending him or her self to gain the stigma created by such an event. At RHE, there may not be an alternative?

• RHE ParentNovember 20, 2013 - 1:00 am

fishtoya: Since I saw the incident, should I have stepped in? Absolutely. I wish I had but I was intimidated. Will I the next time? Absolutely. I am not picking apart Steve's integrity, he did that himself. He has no right to yell at others, period. It's not safe for him or others. It's not the way we should be teaching our children to handle situations. I do park each and every day. I also am heavily involved in volunteering at the school (which with 720+ students at Rolling Hills, why do I only see the same handful helping at events or making copies or at meetings? Just wondering since you said I didn't care). Have any of the parents that support Steve come forward to try to help the traffic situation in a positive way? No because you are too busy slinging accusations at everyone and acting like you aren't also part of the problem. We are all busy. But we have become so insensitive to others that we think yelling and belittling complete strangers in public is okay. Be part of the change, fishtoya. Volunteer at the school, help the district and the school come up with a way to alleviate the traffic while still allowing kids to be picked up at the curb, teach your children love and tolerance. If you were a real friend of Steve's, you would see that his yelling was uncalled for and help him be a positive change. He would have been great to have at the loading zone ushering waiting cars to move on but instead he chose to yell at a mom at the stop sign. Too bad!!

• LHNovember 13, 2013 - 8:14 am

I am one of those parents who was on the receiving end of Mr. Feudners 'chiding'. I am also a parent who has incessantly complained to the school and the district about the insane drop-off/pick-up situation at Rolling Hills. The school has a problem that needs to be addressed and fixed and I have tried my hardest to try and get things fixed. There definitely needs to be some major changes at the school. However, the behavior of Mr. Feudner is unacceptable and he did deserved to be let go. The day that I was yelled at I was stopped at the stop sign waiting for the pick-up line to move. I was not blocking the bus lane and I was NOT double parked. I was waiting for the line to move. When I was told to move I asked where I was supposed to go since I was waiting for my turn in the pick-up line. The response I was given was a tirade of getting there earlier, parking my car and other things he felt the need to yell at me. Honestly if he felt I was breaking the law all he had to do was write my license # down and move on, the yelling was completely unnecessary, it was in front of my children, other children, and other parents. I will be the first to admit that the school has a problem but the main problem is the parents parked in red zones who refuse to move for those that just want to pick up their kids. After the incident I spent a good hour on the phone with a police officer having a very civil conversation about the rules for dropping and picking up our children. The school has a lot of work to do to fix this problem but having an employee who is verbally abusive is NOT the answer. Did I know that you can not be stopped at a stop sign of course I did, but guess what that is the only place to wait when the line is full and you are waiting. Try finding a parking spot in that neighborhood it is just as difficult as waiting to pick-up your child. There are 720 kids at that school and that neighborhood was not made for that many kids and parents. I am a mom of 4 children if you want to call me lazy for not parking my car and walking to get my children then go ahead and call me names. I calling me lazy makes you feel better then go ahead, but I am far from lazy, I am busy and quite frankly doing my best to be a good mom and a good citizen, you don't know me. If you think I should plan my day better so that I can get to the school an hour early to get a parking spot that isn't a mile away, then you must have way more time in your day then I do. If you feel that yelling and berating another adult in front of their children is appropriate then I'd be more then happy to set that up for you so that you will know what it feels like. Of course my feelings were hurt, I was embarrassed and frustrated. I complained. I was not the first, but quite possibly the last and I will not apologize for him no longer being the one to 'enforce' the rules. It should also be noted that on the day he became a 'whistleblower' and a protestor he was claiming that his children were not safe because of bullying not because of the traffic situation. If he felt that his kids were not safe why were they still at the school? If he wanted to bring attention to the traffic problem why did he wait until after he was let go? My feelings got hurt and I complained. His feelings got hurt and he protested. Mr. Feudner may be passionate about keeping his kids safe but his behavior also shows that he is passionate about power. I am passionate about keeping my kids safe and keeping them from being around someone as aggressive as him is part of that.

• CD BrooksNovember 13, 2013 - 12:40 pm

LH, you were stopped at a stop sign waiting for your kids. You knew it was illegal yet there you were. After all, you’re just doing “what everybody else does” right? Everything after that was your own doing. I’ve done traffic control more often than I care to remember over the years. I worked alongside three separate law enforcement agencies simultaneously. I understand the mentality of people trying to get where they’re going at all cost. I have personally seen the worst of the worst, heard the language and been subjected to some pretty ugly verbal abuse. I have been nearly run over and astonished at what folks will do to get past a line of officers, cars and barricades. It’s as if they’re in a trance, crazy! Fieldcrest Ave. is very long, winds through the neighborhood connecting to several streets and goes from Hilborn back to Hilborn. I drive that street nearly every day and guess what? There are spots for another 2-3 hundred cars or so maybe more. I walk several blocks twice a day to pick up my grandkids. I don't speed through those nice folk’s neighborhood or run stop signs in the process. So your time is valuable like other's isn't? We are hoping nobody gets hurt or killed at any school and it is a miracle it hasn't happened yet. I don't believe you’re lazy but you obviously don't want to be part of a solution either...If only driver’s were as intent upon obeying the laws for their children’s safety as they were complaining about the very person so intent upon making sure that happens!

• RHE ParentNovember 20, 2013 - 12:22 am

CD Brooks: I take it you and Steve are friends because you both love to attack others at all costs. Are you being part of the solution when you berate others? LH was not speeding or running a stop sign. As LH said, they were stopped at the stop sign. So maybe lumping them with all the crazy drivers is not accurate. I don't care what your relationship with Steve is but nothing in this world tells me it is okay to yell at others or to exert power over others. It's what Steve did to LH like bullying - exerting one's power over another. How would you feel if your wife or daughter was getting yelled at by a man while she was in the car with children? What I witnessed was unacceptable, embarrassing, and slightly scary. Steve was not protecting children - LH was stopped, no children were in Steve's care at that point, and school hadn't ended. Why didn't he yell at the cars that park in the pick up zone starting at 1pm? If you are so concerned for traffic, why don't you step up and help? Maybe stop pointing at everyone else as overly dangerous drivers and look at how inappropriate your friend acted.

• Christine in FFNovember 20, 2013 - 7:50 am

RHE parent~if you are so involved at the school, start a parent parking patrol! Make a difference instead of telling people how they should or shouldn't handle situations, or what is appropriate behavior and what isn't.

• RHE ParentNovember 20, 2013 - 8:41 am

Christine- the idea of a parent parking patrol is great. As I already volunteer 10+ hours weekly at school, adding another responsibility is too much for my schedule and family. I love the idea but I have to spend time with my kids and family. Hopefully you would understand and appreciate that. But to address your comment about making a difference...I did make a difference, I saw a mother being yelled at by a school employee and reported his behavior. I make a difference by the 10 hours a week I dedicate to the school. I make a difference by lawfully parking to pick up my kids. I make a difference by being an example to my kids by not treating others unkindly. I am not telling anyone hoe they should handle a situation or what is acceptable behavior. Steve's employer decided that. I just told them what I saw and how uncomfortable it made me feel. The school and district did what they felt was appropriate for them. Maybe Steve would have gotten better results and kept his job if he would have headed up a parent parking patrol that didn't involve yelling and inappropriate behavior.

• CD BrooksNovember 20, 2013 - 8:18 am

RHE, this is nothing new for me and you might like to know that I have written about and supported traffic control for over twenty years here. I have advocated for safety measures from DUI to reducing and enforcing speed limits writing to Governor’s and asking for support from local PD. So what does Fairfield do a few years back? They take the “if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em” road and raised certain speed limits! I suppose that would be the best way to go if you have no intention of tracking down offenders anyway right? Pretty soon we won’t need Fire or PD. Just Medic and a Coroner.

‘Boyhood’ mature on music, moments

By Nick DeCicco | From Page: B1

Mr. Clean: Dennis Regan offers friendly jokes, with a bite

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Gemstones shine at Solano County Fair

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Trifecta: ‘The Who’s Tommy’ third play in three months

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Japan Summerfest returns this month

Solano Tea Party Patriots schedule meet

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A4, 7 Comments

Highway 12 to close overnight in Jameson Canyon

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4

Air district calls Spare the Air alert

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Vallejo police arrest suspect in shooting death

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Stabbing victim dies in Vacaville

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5, 3 Comments

Fairfield police log: July 30, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A12, 1 Comment

Suisun City police log: July 30, 2014

A look at the impact of Wisconsin’s union law

Union: California prison staff told to fake checks

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Abbas seeks broad support for war crimes charges

US, UN announce deal on 72-hour Gaza cease-fire

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

As US job market strengthens, many don’t feel it

Dow plunges as multiple worries vex investors

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Wisconsin Supreme Court upholds 2011 union law

Report: Secrecy enveloped Bay Bridge construction

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Yosemite wildfire weakened, evacuations to end

Candidate goes homeless to show economic gap

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

California ex-mayor sentenced in corruption case

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Californians to see increase in health plan costs

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 3 Comments

Appellate court overturns high-speed rail rulings

US warns against traveling to Ebola-hit countries

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Investigators reach Ukraine jet wreckage site

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Congress races to finish VA, highway bills

See-through mice reveal details of inner anatomy

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

CIA spied on Senate, internal review finds

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

Demoted worker shoots CEO, kills self in Chicago

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 2 Comments

NASA to test making rocket fuel ingredient on Mars

Editorial Cartoons: Aug. 1, 2014

To err is human – but not in print

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: A11, 2 Comments

Why do so many Americans support Hamas

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 16 Comments

Nice guy becomes House majority leader

By Dan Walters | From Page: A11

Should union organizing be a civil right?

By Ben Boychuk and Joel Mathis | From Page: A11, 11 Comments

Today in History for Aug. 1, 2014

Community Calendar: Aug. 1, 2014

My irregular monthly cycles were a symptom of cancer, not menopause

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscopes for Aug. 1, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Week in preview Aug. 1-7, 2014

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Review: Boseman drips with charisma as James Brown

‘Godfather of Makeup’ Dick Smith dead at 92

Starz’ ‘Outlander’ brings novels to life vibrantly

Dionne Warwick knows her way to San Jose

Entertainment calendar Aug. 1, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

‘Sharknado 2′ whipped up storm of viewers, tweets

Chekwa taking reps with Raiders while Hayden sits

Safety Bethea finding a groove with new 49ers team

Expos fall short in 10-9 loss to Leghorns

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B7

A’s deal Tommy Milone to Twins for Sam Fuld

A’s get Lester, Gomes from Red Sox for Cespedes

Phelps to compete in 4 events at US nationals

Another decent start for Woods at Firestone

Ravens’ Rice: His actions ‘totally inexcusable’

Dustin Johnson takes leave of absence from golf

Commonwealth Games athlete convicted for assault on rival

Lynch ends holdout, arrives at Seahawks camp

Nick Watney leads PGA Barracuda Championship

Rich get richer: Rays’ Price traded to Tigers

Dumdumaya takes third in World Junior/Junior Olympic tourney

AP Source: Trump advances in Bills sale process

Mudcats get 15-7 win in Auburn Classic

Signups for Friday, Aug. 1, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B9

Derrick Brooks set standard for NFL linebackers

Daimler launches new version of tiny Smart car

By The Associated Press | From Page: C1

Target taps outsider as CEO for needed shakeup

Iliad of France makes surprise bid for T-Mobile US

In San Francisco real estate, $1M won’t buy much

Facebook’s Internet.org expands in Zambia

Debit overdraft fees often exceed cost of purchase

By The Associated Press | From Page: B11, 1 Comment