Saturday, August 23, 2014

Fairfield High principal to resign

From page A1 | May 15, 2014 |

15a1 Tim Halloran

Tim Halloran, principal at Fairfield High School, is shown in this 2012 photo from the school's website. (Daily Republic)

Halloran alleges fear, intimidation by school district

FAIRFIELD — Secrecy is the norm in the Fairfield-Suisun School District, which is managed by fear, intimidation and bullying, said Tim Halloran, resigning as principal of Fairfield High School after he said district administrators harassed and pressured him out of his job.

“If you make people’s lives miserable,” Halloran said, “they’re going to move on.”

“They try to wear you down so you quit,” he said.

A positive outcome to the situation was impossible, said the school principal in his second year in that post.

School district administration actions came despite higher graduation rates, fewer dropouts and more students going to college from Fairfield High, he said.

Halloran, 54, who will continue as principal until next month, said hard work by the staff has helped turn around Fairfield High.

“I’m very proud of what’s taken place,” the school principal said.

“I’m not leaving because of the school,” Halloran said. “I’m leaving because of differences with the administration.”

Corey praises principal’s work, disputes description of district

He cited improvements that include what’s expected to be a successful school accreditation and Fairfield High’s status as the only high school in the state that’s part of a No Excuses University program for students.

School district administrators recognized neither success, he said, and communication between the district and the high school is poor.

Administrators apparently wanted Fairfield High to go in another direction but never communicated just what that was, Halloran said.

He spoke about a February meeting at the district office where administrators asked him to resign. Halloran, who said he was surprised by the request, did not step down. The school district could have released him by a March 15 deadline but did not do so, Halloran said.

School district administration did not respond to his formal reports about a hostile work environment, he said. But administrators would regularly contact him on the weekends about matters that did not require immediate attention, Halloran said.

A previous superintendent appointed him principal, Halloran said. Kris Corey was named superintendent in 2013 and is in her first academic year in that role.

“Maybe she personally doesn’t like me,” Halloran said of Corey.

Corey should have congratulated Fairfield High on its accreditation success and made clear the direction the school district sought for the school, Halloran said.

“That responsibility falls on the superintendent,” he said.

Halloran said he sent a letter about his resignation to the seven trustees on the governing board for the district. He said only one responded and that was to wish him good luck.

School board members are probably worried about the possibility that he may file a lawsuit, but the school principal said he does not intend to do so.

“That means the district is spending money that should be going to kids,” Halloran said of taking legal action.

He said some people may be surprised by his description of the school district, but compared the matter to workplaces where employees may know little about operations at the top.

“In a corporation, you’re just not really aware of what goes on inside,” Halloran said.

A graduate of Bellarmine High School in San Jose and the University of California, San Diego, where he studied biochemistry, Halloran worked as a biochemist before beginning a second career in education.

“I’m very sorry I didn’t find high school education earlier in my career,” he said of the satisfaction such work can bring.

The school principal said he won’t miss dealing with school district administrators but is sorry to be leaving Fairfield High.

“I’m going to certainly miss the school,” Halloran said.

Fairfield High, with enrollment of 1,350, had a poor reputation in the community, said Halloran, recalling graffiti and waist-high weeds at the school when he began as principal. That perception is changing as the school keeps improving, he said.

“I know I did the right thing,” Halloran said of his work at Fairfield High.

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or rmccarthy@dailyrepublic.net.

• BobMay 14, 2014 - 9:29 pm

As a parent with a three students that have went to FHS we are thankful for Mr. Halorans hard work and dedication. He's a very nice person and this situation is upsetting. He's FHS third principal in five or six years and that makes us think there's definitely a problem with the management.

• adamsapple3@aol.comMay 14, 2014 - 10:53 pm

Having been a teacher in the district for over ten years this is not surprising. It's time that this type of behavior is shared with the tax payers. There's not a teacher at the high school level that isn't aware of the management's desire to reconstitute Fairfield High School. It's time that the hatred is out in the open because management is destroying kids

• JudyMay 14, 2014 - 11:01 pm

Mr. Halloran speaks the truth. I am saddened that someone with his integrity is leaving the district. More to come.

• RichBIxMay 15, 2014 - 7:09 am

Can you elaborate on the "desire to reconstitute" notion ? Halloran indicates the District wanted the school to go in another direction. It appears the school was going in an upward direction, thus I'm perplexed.

• FalconsMay 15, 2014 - 9:41 am

We are all perplexed, and have no better response from the D.O. aside from silence or and ironically innocent, "Gee golly whatever are you talking about?"

• JimMay 15, 2014 - 6:53 am

The district has forced an excellent administrator out. The question is who has really been running that school, with the principals and APs being "moved" every couple of years? That person needs to be investigated and held accountable for failing to support FHS. Perhaps that person is the district administrator Mr. Halloran is referring to.

• WouldthatbethenewCommunityRelationsDirector?May 17, 2014 - 5:49 pm

Sheila McCabe

• TanishaMay 15, 2014 - 8:37 am

It is with great sadness that I read this article. I have a current student at FHS and one that graduated last year. Mr. Halloran was a great assest to FHS and he will be truly missed. I currently work in a school where something sort of similar is happening. The district is not being supportive of the leaders of the schools and only seem to point out and focus on the negative and not the positive aspects or changes. I wish Mr. Halloran the best on his next position and hopefully someone can fill his shoes.

• Patricia B.May 15, 2014 - 9:11 am

Mr. Halloran's comments come as no surprise to me. I have not have many interactions with the school district, but the ones I have left me with the feeling that they just don't care. Rarely do they respond to e-mails and phone calls, and when I do speak to an employee at the district, they are rude and arrogant. Initially, I thought it was just me, but when talking to other parents, I hear the same story. I commend the teachers and administrators who have to deal with the district as, in my humble opinion, is a nightmare at best.

• TonyMay 15, 2014 - 9:26 am

The FSUSD board members are up for reelection and we expect a full investigation if they want our vote. I have heard this type of abuse for years and never believed it until now.

• Brittany WilcoxMay 15, 2014 - 10:30 am

I am a student at Fairfield High School.Mr Halloran has made this school go from bad to amazing.Why would you do such a thing as this to someone who gives a damn about our school.He is in it go the kids.Mr.Halloran has done so much for us.In my 3 years of going to FHS, he is the person that needs to be here.This school could be so much better with his help and his love for our school.Mr Halloran everyone at FHS is here for you.You are the best principal we could ever ask for.And we are gonna do something about it!!!

• George Guynn, JrMay 15, 2014 - 11:26 am

I am sorry to hear that Mr. Halloran has resigned. He has always treated me nice and impressed me that he was trying to improve things. I hope this is a wake up call that things need to change at the district office. Brittany Wilcox, if you are serious about not letting this situation pass and doing something about it, please get all your fellow students and their parents to show up at the next district board meeting on March 22 at 6 pm at 2490 Hilborn Rd in Fairfield and tell the board and admin staff that Mr. Halloran leaving is not acceptable and they had better shape up. There is an election coming up and a big chuck of the board can be replaced. The new board can change the direction of the admin staff. BTW, if my memory serves me correctly, Isom and Polk were appointed and have never been elected to the board, after about three years! Hope to see a full board room on May 22!!!!

• Amy cMay 15, 2014 - 12:49 pm

Our school district sucks!! I'm ready to take my kids out of Fairfield for the sole purpose of the school district. The closure of much needed schools was just the beginning!!

• Former Falcon TeacherMay 15, 2014 - 3:18 pm

Having taught at Fairfield High School from 2005-2013 I can attest that there is something very wrong with FSUSD. In 8 years at FHS I worked under 4 Principals: Ramos, Barnett, Roberts, and Mr. Halloran. That is NOT NORMAL! And yet it has been done. The community, parents, and students need to fight for the education of their children. If not, good educators will continue to leave the district to neighboring districts where they are valued and they matter.

• Jebediah BranstetterMay 19, 2014 - 8:06 pm

I'd like to add to that...Parents and students WHO WANT TO DO MORE WITH THEIR LIFE THAN WORK AT MCDONALDS OR JOIN A GANG need to speak up. The District keeps taking measures to ensure the kids of educated people receive a proper education, but those of less educated receive less. In other words, they keep pushing to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, and lets face it, FF has a lot of poor. They keep bending the rules to NOT discipline the students who interrupt class, and do NOTHING to keep a productive classroom for those who want to do well. What does this do to train them for life after school? It teaches them how to quit and talk to their employers with no respect. What happens then? The people of this town need to grow a backbone and fight to get rid of the horribly corrupt upper management that we have at the DO and put the power back in the hands of the Principals.

• HKMay 20, 2014 - 2:27 pm

Look at what side of town the board/administration lives in vs, what side of town the majority of the kids in this district live in. Which side of town has suffered ALL the school closures and declining property values because of them? If I'm reading between the lines correctly here, the district was annoyed that this principal was able to save FHS. Who knows what experimental scheme they had planned for that site, but good for him for keeping it accredited.

• RetiredFHSTeacherMay 15, 2014 - 5:06 pm

David you are 100% right. Isn't it McCabe who was accused of making changes to the last WASC report?

• StephanyMay 15, 2014 - 6:03 pm

Students at FHS are willing to protest to keep Halloran and there's a board meeting next Thursday, May 22nd @ 5 at the district. If anyone can go around that time to show support, that would be great!

• ToneMay 15, 2014 - 6:51 pm

As a parent of a student at FHS, currently in her junior year, I've had a number of conversations with Mr. Halloran. whether it was at an organize meeting or a school club or sporting event, it is clear to me that he cares very much about the welfare of this school and its students education and future. politics aside, I have personally witnessed his support and encouragement for his students and know he has made a positive difference.

• Not RightMay 15, 2014 - 7:30 pm

The school board needs to go. They have made no improvements they've just found ways to take away this from the kids, close schools and fattened thier pockets while they sit on that hill in that expensive building and turn their nodes up to the people in this community. It's sad but they don't care! They just get rid of those that do.

• George Guynn, JrMay 15, 2014 - 9:05 pm

Christine, I agree with you about the things that are wrong within the district, but the present board is not going to improve the situation. As Not Right says, the whole board needs to go. Be sure to vote against all incumbents this coming election! With a new board, Common Korey can shape up or ship out. And by the way, Common Core needs to go too!!!!! Stephany, thanks for getting people to show up to protest. In case you don't know, the close session meeting starts at 5 pm, but the public meeting starts at 6 pm. See you at the meeting!

• LyssaMay 15, 2014 - 9:07 pm

As a former employee of this district, I too felt that they don't care about the people who work for them. I drove 200 miles, round-trip, for my job at that high school, LOVED my job, and my co-workers, but felt that I was crapped on. I miss working with the teachers that I worked with there! The ones I knew really cared about the kids, and that's what it's all about.

• PocohantasMay 15, 2014 - 10:10 pm

I have been at FHS for over a decade and worked my ass off for these kids and this school. Over the last two years, I have happily tripled my efforts. WHY? Because we have a principal who LOVES kids and LOVES this school. Because we have support. Because we have regained solidarity. Because we finally have hope. I totally agree with the comments Tim made about the behavior of the "Central Office", as we have been directed to call it. I have to say he left a hell of a lot out. The reasons they want him gone are as clear as can be. First of all, they used him to do all the difficult work getting Fairfield High School and it's dysfunctional ways back on track. What they did not expect was that he would do it the way a truly great parent would handle their child.....be tough when you need to, demand the right thing, hold high expectations, hold people accountable, pick and choose battles, and most of all give kudos when they are deserved! I have personally watched Tim put out thousands of dollars from personal funds to honor the staff and/or students for a job well done. He does not let those special moments go unnoticed. Small or large, they are acknowledged. This is the first time in a long time that the students at FHS have had a personal relationship with their principal. Why? Because not only did he hold staff accountable for turning our school around, but he also entrusted the students to take responsibility for the things they could do to make their school better. I have never seen students so excited to run new ideas by their principal. Even better, he gives them the chance to make it work. And it has. The real reason Tim has to leave us is because he has given us his all. Instead of being a "yes man" to the district, he chose to be a "great man" to all of us in his position as principal. His salary was mentioned and I think that was so ridiculous. I know Tim well and I can tell you that he values his morals, work ethics, the well-being of his students, staff, and school far more than a check signed by our HR department. I am sure other districts are lined up waiting to invite him to lead their team. I envy the next group of young people and educators who have the blessing of experiencing Tim. They are blessed! Unfortunately, it is a fact that any of us who publicly express our outrage regarding this situation are at risk for retribution. After the years of lay-offs and fear of losing our jobs, that is not something we want to have to worry about. But we will. Lastly, I would like to say that most of us on the school site level live in this community chose our homes based on the schools we wanted our children to attend, and work at these schools so we can make a great place for our children and their neighborhood friends.(Believe me, we don't make a lot of money!) We work hard to maintain and preserve our community. We pay our taxes to fund our schools. I find it very interesting that most of the Central Office administration live in other communities and that is where their salaries are spent. On the other hand, many, if not most of our board members are members of our community. Many of them have had children who attended our schools and benefited from what they learned there. Why aren't they seeing this:? Why don't they know this:? And if they do, why do they allow it? Remember folks, it's election year! I encourage all students, parents, staff, and others in this community to attend the board meeting next week. Let's' stand together for what is right.

• Jebediah BranstetterMay 15, 2014 - 10:54 pm

As a current teacher in the district, and as one who has worked under Tim as well as other Principals in the district, I can tell you exactly what the problem is...WAY to heavy of an upper administration! We have Assistant Superintendents for pretty much everything under the sun, and the Principals end up with no real authority. Despite that, Tim was able to take this from a failing school to one where many of the students have actually started trying to succeed. The problem truly does come from the District Office, and it stems from "too many chefs in the kitchen." And until such time as the Principals are put in a position of real authority, we're not going to see any long term success. And whereas this may seem melodramatic, this is truly how I feel about our upper administration. "...whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..." (Declaration of Independence).

• TroyMay 19, 2014 - 4:49 pm

Of course everything Mr. Halloran said is true. Ever since Ms. Corey came back to the district she has done nothing but bully, harass and run off any administrator who did not do her evil bidding. She is evil at best and the board knows it. Many complaints have come in and when teachers didn't like her she forces their administrators out and brings in a yes person. Look at all the changes in administration in the elementary ranks under her Directorship. She took out any administrator that did not do what she demanded, who didn't shut up the teachers, and any principal who cared about the teachers as people. Ask any elementary teacher who has been around since she came back from Travis. Our board hired her knowing she has no moral values either. Ask any employee who has been in this district for 20 years like me. We all know of her and her ways. We also know schools that have closed because of a personal agenda...e.g. administrators who did not adore her. Our last superintendent and she worked together at Travis and became a force of evil. Her little article of how she's surprised he feels this way....CRAP! She does it to all administrators and our board knows it and gives her a raise. Please interview any administrator this district has lost in the last eight years....they speak the truth. They can because she can't call them in and bully them any longer. People from FHS go to the meeting...tell the board not to rubberstamp the evil queen's wishes. Mr.. Halloran thank you for speaking the truth. Mr. Roberts also did his piece in the Daily Republic about the administration and so the saga continues. Until Fairfield Suisun changes the HORRIBLE SUPERINTENDENT and all the YES PEOPLE it will continue to be the worst in the state.

• BobMay 15, 2014 - 10:34 pm

Sounds like Solano College management and administration.

• Iris RodriguezMay 16, 2014 - 12:24 am

I am a Liberty High school, Brentwood CA graduate class of 2008. Tim Hallorans last position prior to Fairfield High. I recently moved to Fairfield where my son is attending 1st grade. As a parent this type of behavior on behalf of the district worries me and makes me wonder if my child is attending the right district. I was a teen mom having my child at the age of 16 Struggling to graduate on time and with this new change to my life I was terrified. I was 8 months pregnant when I finished my Jr year at LHS. Tim supported me in my continuation and return to high school. With the help of my counselor and principal I was able to return and graduate on time with my class being I was a whole school year behind. Thanks to this CHANGE girls soon followed my footsteps and decided to continue school vs dropping out after pregnancy. This really is obsurd and I havr a few questions for the Fairfield-Suison District. I guarantee you will be sorry. I will be strongly considering my options in home schooling and private schools.

• NOT the right districtMay 16, 2014 - 7:33 am

Iris ... I have nothing but regrets keeping my children in this district. They are in high school and I am trying to stay to allow them to graduate with the kids they grew up with. I have three children, one is out of high school. I have actually sat down with them and asked them not to settle in Fairfield and have kids here because of this district. You are NOT in the right district. People "in the know" from San Francisco down the 80-corridor will tell you this is the worst district when it comes to honesty, doing the right thing, and helping parents.

• BaseballmomMay 16, 2014 - 7:15 am

Wow! It is awesome to see the "people rising up" determined to do something about this corrupt district. Sure hope you all are successful! And it is time to find district staff who do their job for the love of kids and because it is their VOCATION, not their JOB. If you have a board that budgets wisely, puts the money where it should be (at the school level) and is honest about goals then you may pay district level staff a bit less but they will be part of a great goal.... And if THAT is more important than the $$$$$ to them then you will have a great district.

• DanPozMay 16, 2014 - 3:09 pm

I am a 22 year teacher working in FSUSD. This district operates on bullying tactics, and divide and conquer. Halloran is a breath of fresh air. This district needs to hire and promote from within.. Replace Corey with Rick Vaccaro, former Principal at Armijo and let him clean house.

• AthenaMay 16, 2014 - 4:22 pm

I have worked for the District as a Cafeteria Assistant I for 3 years. I came from a corporate management position in San Francisco. Talk about bullying! Yes, it happens in the kitchens where we prepare food for our students everyday. I have worked my butt off for this Department and they treat you like your below them. The pay is the lowest in the district and most of these employees work very, very hard to feed the students and provide great customer service. There are also too many who harass and bully you, and it's acceptable. The harder you work, the worse off they treat you. I'm glad I don't have kids who attend school here. I am also sorry that such a wonderful person and Principal was forced to resign. The next school district who hires him will be very lucky. He did a world of good for the students at FHS. I wish you would stay Mr. Halloran. FSUSD, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Time for new board members to get this mess straightened out!

• BarbaraMay 17, 2014 - 9:35 am

Mr. Halloran, You deserve to be appreciated for all you have done for FHS. Maybe the district officials feel threatened by all of your accomplishments and awesome ability to make a bad situation better! They have failed miserably in all departments! They are jelious of you and want to keep you down! As you leave FHS, I would love to see you step up and run for office on the School Board! Then again, the way they treated you, I would probably flip them all off and walk away from this crappy way that the snobs at the DO run our education system. It is so sad to see you leave. Where ever you may go, please let them know that all of us who work for FSUSD feel as if there has been a death in our family. As all will feel the disconnect ! Please encourage everyone to attend the meeting at Snob Headquarters on May 22, 2014 at 6pm.

• FSUSD EmployeeMay 17, 2014 - 9:58 am

This district employes principals who harass teachers, bully them, lie to staff and parents, and have no business on the front lines where our purpose is to create good citizens who will be productive members of this society. Shame on this district for lining their pockets while teachers loose their houses and cannot support their families with the salaries we earn. It's a travesty to be working in a district where teachers have not had a pay raise in seven years and the district office just gave themselves new titles with pay raises. Still, we come, teaching, sharing, giving. The climate at our schools is disparaging, it's morose.

• iamamiwhoamiMay 17, 2014 - 10:38 am

Thank you Laurel-nice comment.

• It Ain't Me, BabeMay 18, 2014 - 11:45 am

My name is Marla Oxley, and, no, I am not leaving anonymous postings on this forum. Yes, over the years I sent many very frank opinions via email, but there was never a doubt about my identity. One principal told me, "I never have to worry about you stabbing me in the back; if you have something to say, you say it, and you're funny, too." So, nope, it's not me. I have 11 days until eternal summer, I live far away, and I've been helping my 2-year-old granddaughter live through chicken pox by playing with Play Dough and taking bubble baths so my daughter can nurse the 2-month-old. I'm happy as a pig in poop. I have enjoyed all the emails from former FHS teachers and I'm flattered that some think it's he, but, no, I can't take credit. I still enjoy catching up, so email me anyway! Hugs! Marla

• Carol KalamarasMay 19, 2014 - 7:07 am

I have lived in an unincorporated area since 1968. I was on the school board from 1979-1987. The best years were with Tom Guigni who won state fame and praise for his instituting DE-CENTRALIZED management administration after the district had unified. At that time FSUSD had to absorb 4 or 5 superintendents. We grew almost 10,000 students post prop 13. It was difficult but the district was a lighthouse in the state for being creative yet instructionally forward in its thrust to teach children. I think the downward slide began after Ernie Moretti retired and local control (read new superintendents from outside the district) bamboozled the board members with excellent interviews and promises (great credentials also) and then didn't produce! Check the history of how many have been at the top of this district and the salary increases! I have just returned from the state CalRTA (CalRetired Teachers Association) General Assembly. I am happy to report that there is an investigation going on and explained to us by our legislative expert, David Walrath. The issue of "credible compensation" for administrators in particular is very interesting! STRS is involved with AUDIT process for determining if there is retirement overpayment (going back 12 or more years) to administrators especially when salary included NON credible compensation! With that said, I will say that the three (3) females who have led the district have been a seriously big disappointment for FSUSD and added to a floundering 'too big at the top legacy' of people who do not really care for on site expertise! At least AHS has the IB program. I only wish my two AHS grads had the chance to be in it. More to come….. Please look at the early leadership years of this district and even more closely at the candidates for next trustee election!

• It Ain't Me, BabeMay 19, 2014 - 6:29 pm

Hi Carol! You just filled in a missing link in the history of Fairfield for me. I didn't begin at FHS until 1981 and you were still on the School Board, I believe. I missed the Guigni years, but I have heard that name over and over again and you just explained why. I agree that when McLaughlin was principal at FHS, he was allowed to do the job they paid him to do...run FHS. As a matter of fact, many programs used to this day were innovations tried by school principals and then picked up by the entire District. One example was the "In Lieu" system McLaughlin created, which was a win-win proposition. In those days, we could cover one another's classes, bank up to three days, and thus create holidays for our own personal needs without encumbering the District system. Later on, word on the street was that Downtown didn't like the freedom this allowed us, so banking hours was discontinued and we were paid instead. Where teachers used to try to cover as many classes as possible, now site admin had to pressure to get classes covered. Another McLaughlin innovation was the creation of an on-site Independent Study program. This allowed our admin team to have 40 slots available for students who would benefit from a little extra attention without changing enrollment. I was asked yearly to provide facts and figures and I'm happy to report that the various programs actually paid for my salary and all the supplies needed, so the program was self supporting. Rae Lampheir was having me train his Asst. Principal so they could duplicate the program and poof! it was pulled! If memory serves, we were keeping 40 kids enrolled and producing and about 20 more could make up credits and there was no money lost. I loved that position because I got to give individual attention to kids that might have fallen between the cracks, which I what I thought we were all here to do. Is it any surprise that McLaughlin went on to be superintendent of Pittsburgh, managing to avert a strike situation. We, on the other hand, hired folks from the outside. Well, how did that work out for us? Anyone who knows me knows that when I say "McLaughlin," the clouds part and beams of light illuminate heavenly voices. I have gotten along with all the ensuing principals, from Calvert through Roberts because it's my job to see the best side of everyone. However, let me share that once Tim Halloran unified our staff and infected us with his brand of optimism and forward motion, I said to him, "Tim, I like you like I liked Reed." Wow! I have worked for two dynamos, and this District let both of them walk out the door! In both cases, it was rumored that the principal fought too hard for the site and not for Downtown. Huh? If you see a quarterback scoring big points for an opposing team are you going to sulk or are you going to try to recruit that quarterback for your team?

• Carol KalamarasMay 20, 2014 - 10:48 am

I can't tell you how many good, excellent and capable administrators we have lost from FSUSD bringing them up through the ranks and then they slipped away from us. Reed McLaughlin was one of the best and most collegial of principals that I have worked with. He had finesse and honesty when you really needed to hear the facts as well as feel you were a team effort. There were no hidden agendas with him and he was visibly a hard worker. The district office has become more and more remote as well as dictatorial to the point of no return unless there is a complete overhaul. Perhaps, we will hear from Dave Gaut when he retires. I know that I learned a lot and became frustrated especially in my second term when 4 votes were consistently YES to back philosophical goals from outside of the district. P.S. I started independent studies at Berkeley High School in 1970 with endorsement of our Faculty Senate. It was designed for high potential students as well as others who were frustrated with classroom same old, same old. It was run through BHS library to be resourceful with supervision & approval of unique curriculum.

• Rick WoodMay 20, 2014 - 12:27 pm

We need a new paradigm for how school districts are run. There should be a panel of principals who hire a chief administrator--the Superintendent--in collaboration with the Governing Board. The principals should be directly accountable to the Governing Board, but the Superintendent should be directly accountable to both. Then maybe controversies like this one would be self-correcting.

• Steve PlirealMay 20, 2014 - 5:36 pm

I have to work with the District Palace and it does not take long to experience the "bullying" habits of Human Resource, and on rare occasion the Superintendents (especially her head Secretary). After a few years the arrogant atmosphere subsides or has become the norm and their demand for only a "Yes" attitude becomes the new requirement. Their are way too many employees within the District Palace, and girl drama is constant. I see bits and pieces of what some have said, ultimately the attention is not on the students right now, and I am sure the Palace is counting down the days for when the students are away for summer and the attention of the community can be distracted with something else. It would be great if a leader (superintendent) could have some transparency beyond her girl clique, listen to Tim, listen to the students, it is OK.

• RussMay 20, 2014 - 8:47 pm

I'm not surprised at all. I taught at FHS from 1984 - 2002. I saw the school and the district slowly fade until Sharon Tucker became the Superintendent. Then the downward progression went at lightning speed. Good teachers left, good administrators left and the district tried to fire a bunch of other teachers after the strike and failed. There have been hard feelings in the district for two decades. My son is a FHS graduate but if he was still in high school now there is NO WAY IN HELL I would let him attend school in the FSUSD. Mr. McCarthy sounds like a great guy....but in Fairfield great guys finish last. I wish him the best of luck.

• Frustrated FacultyMay 21, 2014 - 5:13 pm

Sharon Tucker? As in the one who now works for WestEd, the private consulting company the district spends millions of dollars to employ each year? Seriously, someone needs to step up and demand transparency and accountability. Tim Halloran is just the first voice of many who have been bullied and abandoned. All so district office admin can collect far better pay than most districts in CA. What does it take to get someone to investigate this?

• shirley villanuevaMay 22, 2014 - 3:06 pm

Several parents have had the same issues Mr. Halloran is accusing the district of, and I personally have dealt with his lack of interest in resolving issues. Very disappointing in the way things were handled and did not see the so called integrity, being impartial or looking out for the benefit of the students or should I say certain students. One call to the district office and it was handled with in 24 hours. There are improvements to be made on both sides and something positive could have came out of it instead of the accusations from both sides being made public. It is not beneficial to the students or the district.

• Mr. SmithMay 22, 2014 - 8:03 pm

Well, here we are trying to watch and listen to the board meeting on cable tv channel 26. We can't understand what the commentors are saying, due apparently to a faulty sound system or other technical glitch at Comcast. Way to go, F-SUSD or Comcast! And cable in my area was out entirely until about 7:45 pm tonite. Great. Mr. Feudner is now refusing to give up the podium. They are letting him continue, after warning him. Mike finally shut off. He's gone. Lol!

• It Ain't Me BabeMay 22, 2014 - 8:21 pm

Thank you, Mr. Smith. Finally I can quit scrambling to fix this thing. Since we moved out of the area, we no longer get Channel 26 on our Comcast. I've been *trying* to stream live and I get zero audio. I've spent the night frantically trying to fix my computer. Did anyone get audio? Did anyone record this?

• Present at Board MeetingMay 22, 2014 - 9:57 pm

Mr. Feudner did not refuse to give up the microphone. He still had a minute left when the board decided they were done listening to him. He has the same rights as every other speaker. The board tried to cut him off at two minutes, and the community present rallied and loudly protested the board trying to take away his right to speak. I think it's a little something called Freedom of Speech. He spoke until his three minutes were up and spoke strongly of his observations. The truth is the truth is the truth. The board works for the public. The public has a right to speak. The board said, "I think we're done listening to this," at the two-minute mark, which underscores the problem brought up tonight. They don't want to hear from us. They started out the meeting very clearly stating that it was not a public meeting but a board meeting in public (i.e. their meeting).

• A NelsonJuly 03, 2014 - 3:47 pm

I was very sad to find this article. Mr. Halloran was a teacher of mine in middle school and left a great impression on me. I am pursuing a PhD now and he was definitely a major influence in my love of education. I love that he speaks so frankly about administration. I hope that it will help the school district get better and overcome some of the issues that he pointed out.

2 shot Friday night in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1, 15 Comments

Vallejo celebrates cultural diversity

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Groups receive honors for going green

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Badges pinned for new Fairfield, Vacaville firefighters

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3 | Gallery

‘Nuttin But Fun!’ theme of 2015 Dixon May Fair

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Adult literacy efforts in need of volunteers

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

County looks for Solano centenarians

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3

Brown signs two bills by Wolk

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4

Brain tumors are not all alike

By Scott Anderson | From Page: B8

Weather for Saturday, Aug. 23, 2014

Fairfield police log: Aug. 21, 2014

Suisun City police log: Aug. 21, 2014

New Obama birth control fixes for religious groups

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 12 Comments

US won’t let borders hamper fight vs. extremists

Interpol seeks clues to Thai ‘baby factory’

Parents had hoped to negotiate with Foley captors

Couple charged in alleged odometer rollback scheme

Passengers leave trove at San Francisco airport

Lawn removal in parched California draws fine

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 6 Comments

IDs of men found shot in adjacent yards released

DUI arrest is California Democrats’ latest blow

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 2 Comments

Questions, answers about Missouri grand juries

Gov’t warns US retailers about hacking software

New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges?

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

Ice bucket challenge may change nonprofit world

Obama taking less vacation, but too much for some

Days Obama, predecessors spent on vacation

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 9 Comments

Ebola spreads in Nigeria; Liberia has 1,000 deaths

Mosque attack kills 64 in Iraq, Sunnis halt talks

Hamas kills 18 suspected informers to deter leaks

UN: death toll from Syrian civil war tops 191,000

West condemns Russia over convoy to Ukraine

Boxer, Feinstein: Different routs in backing Israel

By Thomas Elias | From Page: A8

Somebody deserves to be fired

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

Community Calendar: Aug. 23, 2014

Today in History: Aug. 23, 2014

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2, 1 Comment

A ‘gifted’ family member doesn’t have a degree, can’t keep a job

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A7

Horoscopes: Aug. 23, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A7

Ebola outbreak revives interest in ‘The Hot Zone’

Parole denied yet again for Lennon’s killer

Gray pitches into 9th, A’s top Angels

Avila remains undefeated after opponent throws in towel

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Offense struggles, Raiders fall to Packers 31-21

Panik, Giants end Nationals’ 10-game win streak

Ryu has 66, leads by 5 at Canadian Women’s Open

Goodes leads Boeing Classic by 1 stroke

Davis’ accomplishments still inspire despite loss

Versatile Martin looks to earn 49ers roster spot

New, longer grass laid at 49ers’ Levi’s Stadium

US picks 12-man roster for basketball World Cup

Blaney steals 1 from Kyle Busch on final restart

Harvick wins Bristol pole; 5th of this season

Chevrolet wins IndyCar manufacturers championship

Scott, Tringale tied for the lead at Barclays

This date in sports history for Aug. 23, 2014

Fitbit to Schumer: We don’t sell personal data

Jell-O can’t stop slippery sales slide

At Jackson Hole, central bankers eye varying goals

Yellen: Job market makes Fed hesitant on rate hike

Lawsuits challenge FAA drone, model aircraft rules

Mary Louise Loveall