County to honor Solano educators
FAIRFIELD — Fourteen of the area’s top educators will be honored at a Solano County Office of Education event May 7.
All are nominated to become the county’s Educator of the Year. The event begins at 5:15 p.m. at the Joseph A. Nelson Community Center, 611 Village Drive in Suisun City.
“The Educators of the Year program is a wonderful opportunity to recognize the hard work and dedication of our teachers and school staff,” county Superintendent of Schools Jay Speck said in a press release.
One teacher and one classified employee will have their names forwarded to the California Department of Education to represent Solano County in a statewide Educators of the Year competition.
Solano County Educators of the Year nominees are:
- Kristyn Andrews, specialized education core inclusion teacher for kindergarten through fifth grade, Matthew Turner Elementary School, Benicia School District.
- Phil Green, isolated classroom environment supervisor, Benicia High School, Benicia School District.
- Peggy Harte, fourth-grade teacher, Tremont Elementary School, Dixon School District.
- Jill Camp, office manage, C.A. Jacobs Intermediate School, Dixon School District.
- Michelle Labelle-Fisch, sisth-grade teacher, K.I. Jones Elementary School, Fairfield-Suisun School District.
- Faren Jones, secretary, Matt Garcia Learning Center, Fairfield-Suisun School District.
- Cory Smith, preschool special education teacher, Silveyville and Irene Larsen Center, Solano County Office of Education.
- Kira Levin, school secretary for special education, Golden Hills Education Center, Solano County Office of Education.
- Maranda Hanson, sixth-grade teacher, Scandia Elementary School, Travis School District.
- Janie Tepley, school secretary, Travis Education Center and Travis Community Day School, Travis School District.
- Dave Hawkins, history and government teacher for 10th through 12th grades, Buckingham Charter School, Vacaville School District.
- Lisa Galloway, secretary, Country High School, Vacaville School District.
- Ainsley Harris, fourth-grade teacher, Johnston Cooper Elementary School, Vallejo School District.
- Matt Nyland, custodian, Steffan Manor Elementary School, Vallejo School District.
Reach Barry Eberling at 427-6929 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/beberlingdr.
Barry Eberling has been a reporter with the Daily Republic since 1987. He covers Solano County government, transportation, growth and the environment. He received his bachelors of art degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara and his masters degree in journalism from the University of California, Berkeley.