FAIRFIELD — A 48-year-old Fairfield man accused of trying to kill his ex-wife had his jury trial postponed Wednesday.
With dozens of potential jurors waiting nearby, the defense attorney for Gustavo A. Ibarra said he needed more time before starting trial. Judge Wendy G. Getty agreed with the attorney, rescheduling the start of Ibarra’s trial for April 16, 2014.
Ibarra has previously pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, assault, mayhem and several other felony charges related to a March 2012 bloody confrontation with his ex-wife outside her Peach Tree Drive duplex.
Police say Ibarra drove up to his ex-wife’s duplex, jumped out of his car, confronted her and attacked her with what police described as “several bladed weapons.” A neighbor told police she heard the victim screaming, went outside and saw the woman covered in blood and running down the sidewalk.
Ibarra’s ex-wife filed for divorce in July 2011. At the time of the attack, Ibarra had a warrant outstanding for his arrest for not complying with court-ordered terms of a previous domestic violence case.
Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.