Settlement in suit filed for 5-year-old

By From page A3 | June 14, 2014

FAIRFIELD — A settlement was reached in the lawsuit filed for a 5-year-old girl whose family said she tripped over a candy wrapper and water left unattended on the floor at the California Medical Facility visiting area in Vacaville – and that the youth then tripped over a platform and fell.

“I’m happy with the settlement,” said attorney Tieja Varlack, who represented Riyah Moore.

Varlack said she could not discuss terms of the settlement.

The child broke several teeth and injured her lip and mouth, according to court documents.

An engineer said in court documents that the platform did not comply with the American Society for Testing and Materials standard  practice for safe surfaces.

A representative of the California Department of Corrections could not immediately comment Friday about the settlement.

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or [email protected]

Ryan McCarthy

• just a thoughtJune 14, 2014 - 12:44 am

Wow. Really?

• just sayin'June 14, 2014 - 7:39 am

A supervised child would not have been allowed near anything dangerous. ""The child broke several teeth and injured her lip and mouth"" You mean the baby teeth that were going to fall out anyway? I can see all the welfare queens now, rushing to take their money makers aka welfare kids to prison. pay me pay me pay me. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

• GemmaJune 14, 2014 - 8:40 am

I guess I'm an a hole, because I would never take my child to a jail or prison for a visit, so this wouldn't happen to me or mine. Why introduce an innocent child to something like that? I totally agree w just sayin'-clearly this child was NOT being supervised, because whoever went for the visit was probably too concerned with their criminal to watch the child, so again, why did she need to be there, if she wasn't going to be watched? Wouldn't be surprised if we read more of these stories, since this one was such a success, ie PAYDAY!

• Ulises GuberJune 14, 2014 - 10:39 am

Was there a security camera recording the event ? sounds comical would be a instant youtube hit (just in case your stupid or something , she was going to lose those teeth anyway ) so they got money without going on AFV...wonderful ...

• 2realJune 14, 2014 - 10:43 am

Maybe the candy and the water should counter sue for the kid being left unattended ;)

• Salty DogJune 14, 2014 - 12:44 pm

just another example of parents looking to make money with out working for it by suing some one or some thing with deep pockets. the state should counter sue the parents for leaving the girl unattended.

• just a thoughtJune 14, 2014 - 1:13 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one that is irritated by this. Not at all shocked that someone bringing a 5 year old to prison for visiting doesn't have enough common sense to look out for such hazards. I know there may be a few responsible visitors out there but I'm sure few and far between. And I'm also certain that if we knew who this child was visiting you would also likely see similar suits filed by the inmate. And the wheels keep turning.

• gmlgrahamJune 14, 2014 - 3:34 pm

As always, another unsupervised child and this time there are money hungry parents!! Btw, how do we know the candy wrapper and water wasn't dropped where it was by them?

• JagJune 14, 2014 - 5:31 pm

Trash comes in all colors

• Ulises GuberJune 14, 2014 - 8:04 pm

proof that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

• LindaJune 14, 2014 - 10:58 pm

I agree with all of your comments!

• VhJuly 02, 2014 - 7:22 pm

I agree those we're baby teeth BaBy WaS LeFt UnatTended why take a child to a prison lazy monkeys