Conway-Allen--Jones Composite

Genelle Renee Conway-Allen, 13, of Suisun City, is shown at left in a photo provided by Fairfield police. Anthony L. Jones, 32, of Fairfield, was arrested early Friday, Feb. 8, 2013, in Fairfield on suspicion of killing Conway-Allen, whose naked body was found early Feb. 1, 2013, at Allan Witt Park in Fairfield.


Records reveal aspects of Conway-Allen homicide investigation

By From page A1 | February 19, 2014

FAIRFIELD — New details emerged Tuesday about the killing of 13-year-old Genelle Conway-Allen and the investigation that led to the arrest of Anthony L. Jones.

Jones, 33, of Fairfield, faces murder and rape charges in a possible death penalty case. He was arrested a week after Conway-Allen’s nude body was found dumped in Allan Witt Park. His case has slogged through the court system with a date for a probable cause hearing still unscheduled.

Recently filed court records, unavailable since Jones’ most-recent court appearance last week, reveal new facets of the investigation:

Surveillance cameras helped break the case

High-definition video surveillance cameras along Fairfield’s city streets, once controversial, provided critical evidence in the police investigation.

Genelle Conway-Allen, a foster child, walked home from Green Valley Middle School every day after classes using the same route. On the day she went missing in January 2013, cameras recorded her walking with a boy who police were able to identify. The boy said he noticed Conway-Allen shared his route home and that the day she disappeared was also the first day he had walked with her.

Conway-Allen’s walking companion told investigators that they were approached that day by a car driven by a man who pulled up near them and who demanded that Conway-Allen walk over to his car, in which he was alone. Conway-Allen “began trembling” as she went closer to the car before the man told her to get in. She did and they sped off, the boy told police.

Video showed the car had followed Conway-Allen and her companion for some time, with the driver waiting until they were in a place away from others before initiating contact with them.

Police previously said Conway-Allen was last seen near Railroad Avenue in Suisun City and provided a video still photo of her walking near the corner of East Tabor Avenue and Grande Circle.

Tracking the suspect

Once police identified Jones as the suspect in their investigation, they began around-the-clock surveillance of him leading up to his arrest. Twice during that surveillance Jones allegedly approached groups of young children walking home from school and called out to them. None of the children heeded his calls and they kept walking.

Confronting the suspect

After Jones’ arrest, he initially denied knowing Conway-Allen and insisted he had never had sex with her. As detectives pressed Jones, one of them tossed him a photo of Conway-Allen, which caused him to recoil and begin crying and sobbing for 45 minutes.

Pieces of physical evidence

The autopsy of Conway-Allen revealed a large mark around her neck consistent with a belt or strap. Marks on her feet and wrists were also consistent with her being tied up at the time of her death.

DNA evidence from Conway-Allen’s body was matched to Jones just hours before his arrest, according to the court documents. Shortly after his arrest, additional DNA samples were taken that also were matched to Jones and reflect that Conway-Allen was sodomized.

While an initial autopsy revealed no evidence of sexual assault, a subsequent autopsy revealed five areas of trauma, reflecting that Conway-Allen was raped and sodomized. One of the signs of trauma was a bleeding section in her bowel.

What’s next

Jones, who has pleaded not guilty, is scheduled to be in court Feb. 25 when a date may be scheduled for his probable cause hearing. District Attorney Donald A. du Bain has not said whether his office will seek the death penalty for Jones.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

Discussion | 11 comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • Rich GiddensFebruary 18, 2014 - 9:36 pm

    Good work Jess. Looks like the cops and DA's office will secure a conviction unless they screw up again.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • FF64February 18, 2014 - 10:49 pm

    Great work FPD!

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • elleryFebruary 19, 2014 - 1:14 am

    Very impressive police work.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Skeptic ScroogeFebruary 19, 2014 - 5:02 am

    He was out on the streets hunting for more victims, of course the death penalty should be sought!

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • jpFebruary 19, 2014 - 5:12 am

    Thank God we dont have to rely on Dr. Susan Hogan the monster pathologist, sounds like others were doing their job right and got evidence of what is needed to prosecute Anthony Jones.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • GOODGUYFebruary 19, 2014 - 6:16 am


    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • MadelineFebruary 19, 2014 - 7:39 am

    I'm so Grateful for the truly Great work of the FPD and the Final work of the Correct autopsy, now there was a Real Doctor. Seriously, bleeding intestine and Hogan misses that? Obviously the smell of clorox on that little girl's body should of been a big clue why it seemed there was no sexual assualt. Doesn't Hogan watch Law and Order SVU???

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • P.J.February 19, 2014 - 8:24 am

    How many times do we have to tell our kids, "do NOT get into a car with a stranger". WHAT on earth would make this "child, actually", break that rule? Intrigue? Fascination? WHAT! The disgusting truth will lead to a death sentence that will never get carried out. Jones will spend the rest of his life appealing, appealing, appealing, while a tiny 13 year old girl is dead and dumped like trash!

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • RCWFebruary 19, 2014 - 8:25 am

    I hope the D.A.'s office seeks the death penalty! It doesn't seem like he had any mercy on that poor beautiful child, why should he receive any!

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • CD BrooksFebruary 19, 2014 - 8:36 am

    Prosecutors rarely go after death because it weakens their case. People don't want to be given the responsibility of sentencing anybody to die. And like P.J. stated, at least here in CA, there is no way the death penalty will be carried out.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • OptimisticFebruary 19, 2014 - 5:02 pm

    Don't get too excited people, there isn't a conviction yet. With this DA's office they can have the entire case caught on video and a full confession and still seem to blow it.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.